bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
November 21st, 2017 at 7:57:54 PM permalink
There's a lot of talk right now, especially with the Conyers scandal, and specifically by Fox News, about limiting "dinosaurs" who have been in Congress for decades. Conyers is over 80, and served in the House for over 50 years. I may be a republican and politically opposite of John Conyers, but I say GOOD FOR CONYERS. Good for his constituents.

The media, even Fox, is comparing apples and oranges. The HOUSE, is a different animal than the Senate. Rep. Conyers is a rep in the House, not a senator, and Fox, or any news outlet, should make that distinction. I have not yet heard any of them make that distinction.

The Founders specifically provided for a TWO YEAR TERM, for the HOUSE. That short term, in itself, amounts to "term limits". Michigan's 13th congressional district has had the opportunity every two years, since the LBJ Administration, to get rid of Conyers, if they wanted to. Obviously they did not want to get rid of him. They wanted to keep him. And that's the way it should work.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
November 21st, 2017 at 8:47:37 PM permalink
Detroiters like their scandalous leaders. Young, Kwame, etc.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 21st, 2017 at 10:30:43 PM permalink
I don't believe in term limits, but am not opposed to mandatory retirement at 75. Maybe earlier.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
bobbartop
bobbartop
November 21st, 2017 at 10:43:53 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Detroiters like their scandalous leaders. Young, Kwame, etc.

I believe you. But you can see, term limits would not be a solution. With a short term like two years the people really have more control. Of course, it would be good to have an informed and educated electorate. By that, I don't necessarily mean one that agrees with me on issues. Just an electorate that pays attention to how its rep., reps. And they get what they deserve.

And say by some miracle constituents elect an honest, moral, fantastic congressman. With term limits, they don't get to keep him very long, and soon he probably gets replaced by another "politician".

Anyway, this is not a topic the Founders did not give a lot of thought to when they were putting it all together. They weren't stupid.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
bobbartop
bobbartop
November 21st, 2017 at 10:46:18 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I don't believe in term limits, but am not opposed to mandatory retirement at 75. Maybe earlier.

That's an interesting point. I can see how the two ideas would be different.

Still, I've got to think about that. :-)
  • Jump to: