beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 76
July 18th, 2017 at 5:17:55 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

i doubt that that is true. i believe that when the Bible was initially distributed it was intended to represent the literal truth. i believe that the point of view that it is allegorical came about as science brought into question many of the claims in the Bible and religious proponents then used the allegory theory to claim that the disproof of many of its claims did not refute its message. this from the website Biblica.com:

"The oldest surviving manuscript of any part of the New Testament is a papyrus fragment containing part of John 18. Scholars estimate that it was written about 125 AD."

it is extremely doubtful to me that those who read it or received it aurally around 125 AD and probably much earlier considered it to be an allegory.

https://www.biblica.com/resources/bible-faqs/how-was-the-bible-distributed-before-the-printing-press-was-invented-in-1455/

I think.it depends on which religion you followed, or whose opinion you read. I was raised Episcopalian, and we were taught that it's allegorical and instructive, not to be taken literally. Others disagree.

So, not just scientific refutation, but different sects of the same religion follow the Bible in different ways.

BTW, I don't think a person who bases their belief system in science and logic must by definition reject the concept of God or even Jesus. There is a substantial amount of middle ground available, which is where I live.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 63
July 18th, 2017 at 5:53:13 AM permalink
ALL religions are myths. Just the same as Greek mythology, Roman mythology, Norse mythology, etc. It's phony garbage, PERIOD! Not one bit of any it is true.
"And that's the bottom lineeeee, cuz Stone Cold said so!"
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 83
Thanks for this post from:
BTLWI
July 18th, 2017 at 6:17:44 AM permalink
in the Bible, New Testament and old, God and/or Jesus intervenes to help suffering people with their worldly misery. in our modern world there is no divine intervention to help many millions who suffer in misery with poverty, disease and war. they just suffer and die in a a state of misery.
everybody wants to go to heaven. but nobody wants to die.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 270
Thanks for this post from:
BTLWI
July 18th, 2017 at 8:19:08 AM permalink
People once needed religion as a means to explain the seemingly inexplicable.

Now that we have advanced in our learning, most of what religion teaches flies in the face of scientific fact.

Time to consign notions of god and the hereinafter to the slag heap and focus on the here and now.
"What, me worry?"
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 18th, 2017 at 8:25:36 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

People once needed religion as a means to explain the seemingly inexplicable.

Now that we have advanced in our learning, most of what religion teaches flies in the face of scientific fact.

Time to consign notions of god and the hereinafter to the slag heap and focus on the here and now.

if a person doesn't believe in God then at the very least he must admit that the origin of the universe is one spectacular accident and that in our current state of knowledge, even with the big bang theory and any other explanations, there is a great deal that we don't know.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 270
July 18th, 2017 at 8:40:48 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

if a person doesn't believe in God then at the very least he must admit that the origin of the universe is one spectacular accident and that in our current state of knowledge, even with the big bang theory and any other explanations, there is a great deal that we don't know.

Yes, there is much we don't know.

Question: who best to discover the "answer:" an empiricist or a priest?

Replicable, provable fact or B.S. dogma / superstition?
"What, me worry?"
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
July 18th, 2017 at 3:17:24 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

Yes, there is much we don't know.

Question: who best to discover the "answer:" an empiricist

provable

maybe. but to provide an answer they are going to have to answer the question of how something came out of nothing. because before the big bang, according to their predominant theories there was absolutely nothing. and they are not even close to understanding how something came out of nothing.
robbiehood
robbiehood
  • Threads: 12
July 18th, 2017 at 3:52:56 PM permalink
How’s recreational marijuana going impact the walking pace and sidewalk congestion on the strip? I can’t imagine a herd of freshly baked stoners being able to process the visual stimuli and walk at the same time. Users of THC laced bake goods and candy may pay homage to the Quaalude crawl or Thorazine shuffle in front of the Fountains. I predict lots of stunned, over stimulated, open mouths gutturally uttering “WOW”. Excuse me while I kiss the sky
Let down the curtain; The farce is over.
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 32
July 18th, 2017 at 5:47:50 PM permalink
Quote: robbiehood

How’s recreational marijuana going impact the walking pace and sidewalk congestion on the strip?

rob,

That's a great question. And, the answer should be apparent to any WoV members who walk on the Strip sidewalk, since the pot's been boiling for over 2 weeks now.

Has anyone stopped AP'ing long enough to go outside? Anyone?
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 65
July 18th, 2017 at 5:57:15 PM permalink
Quote: robbiehood

How’s recreational marijuana going impact the walking pace and sidewalk congestion on the strip? I can’t imagine a herd of freshly baked stoners being able to process the visual stimuli and walk at the same time. Users of THC laced bake goods and candy may pay homage to the Quaalude crawl or Thorazine shuffle in front of the Fountains. I predict lots of stunned, over stimulated, open mouths gutturally uttering “WOW”. Excuse me while I kiss the sky

Why would anything change?
I'm a stoner. Been smoking in Vegas for decades
Same for all stoners
Do you actually think we go straight when visiting Vegas. Lol
The only thing that will change is stoners will now use the local product instead of bringing a stash.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"

• Jump to: