steeldco
steeldco 
  • Threads: 49
March 10th, 2017 at 2:39:26 PM permalink
So I see where the Trumps are taking credit for the jobs number released this morning. The growth of 235,000.
Why would they? Last February it was 242,000. They want to take credit for a decline? What am I missing?
Am I misunderstanding something?
Are they misunderstanding something?
Are the lilliputians in Trumpland being delusional again?
Are they so dumb as to want to take credit for a slight slowdown?

We all know that Trumpy has done nothing to impact February numbers. I would have normally just blamed Obama, but I guess if Trumpy wants the blame, so be it.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
bbvk05
bbvk05
  • Threads: 7
March 10th, 2017 at 2:53:25 PM permalink
Presidents take too much blame and get too much credit for small economic changes. It's worth noting, however, that the recent stock market run has been remarkable. It's hard to say that optimism for the economy under Trump deregulation and tax cuts wasn't a factor there.

The jobs number is a robust number. You decline point is not well taken.
RS
RS
March 10th, 2017 at 9:59:03 PM permalink
Quote: steeldco

So I see where the Trumps are taking credit for the jobs number released this morning. The growth of 235,000.
Why would they? Last February it was 242,000. They want to take credit for a decline? What am I missing?
Am I misunderstanding something?
Are they misunderstanding something?
Are the lilliputians in Trumpland being delusional again?
Are they so dumb as to want to take credit for a slight slowdown?

We all know that Trumpy has done nothing to impact February numbers. I would have normally just blamed Obama, but I guess if Trumpy wants the blame, so be it.

Something ain't adding up here. What's the 235k and 242k represent? Are you saying last February there was a growth of 242k and this February was 235k?
"What would Brian Boitano do?"
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 138
March 11th, 2017 at 12:31:50 AM permalink
Quote: RS

Something ain't adding up here. What's the 235k and 242k represent? Are you saying last February there was a growth of 242k and this February was 235k?

Yes thats exactly what he is saying

"The U.S. has experienced 77 consecutive months of job growth. Last February, the U.S. added 233,000 jobs."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/519183/
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 37
Thanks for this post from:
Rigondeaux
March 11th, 2017 at 12:55:53 AM permalink
The numbers "inside the numbers" that are a problem for me have not changed all that much. The underemployment numbers characteristic of the Obama Presidency has not yet been reversed:

"The number of persons employed part time for economic reasons (sometimes
referred to as involuntary part-time workers) was little changed at 5.7 million
in February. These individuals, who would have preferred full-time employment,
were working part time because their hours had been cut back or because they
were unable to find full-time jobs."

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

It doesn't matter who is President; I won't consider the unemployment number presented (+235k in this case) as the "be all, end all" number when the deeper numbers show that many people are still struggling to find full-time employment and things of that sort.

We'll see where the numbers go from here, but I am unimpressed by these numbers. I am glad more people have jobs of some sort than did at the height of the recession, but a lot of those people are struggling with less than full-time employment.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
March 11th, 2017 at 2:45:02 AM permalink
A year ago, the biggest increases were in the lower paying and less stable service areas of retail trade, healthcare and social assistance, and leisure and hospitality.

Retail lost 26,000 jobs in this latest report.

Mining and manufacturing lost thousands of jobs in February of 2016.

"We're gonna put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business." - Hillary

Imagine being a worker in the coal industry, trying to provide for your family and hearing that.

This year, American corporations are responding to Trump's commitment to reducing corporate taxes and protecting American manufacturing jobs.

In February 2017, the biggest increases were in mining, construction and manufacturing, which are typically higher paying full time jobs.

Bureau of Labor Statistics

Foreign companies are responding as well. Infosys, is an Indian software company that applied for 100,000 H-1B visas to replace IT workers in the US. In direct response to Trumpís opposition to hiring foreign workers to replace Americans, Infosys co-founder Naranya Murthy called upon Indian companies to stop using H-1B workers and recruit American residents. MSN
steeldco
steeldco 
March 11th, 2017 at 5:46:42 AM permalink
Quote: RS

Yes. That is what I am saying. Not that it's a big deal but the headlines are misrepresenting the facts. Was it a good number? Yes.
But no better than a year ago.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
steeldco
steeldco 
March 11th, 2017 at 5:47:45 AM permalink
My biggest problem with these types of news events is that Trumpy supporters just accept and believe what Trumpy and his Lilliputians say. The media is really no better. They may, or may not, point out the lies and inaccuracies depending on whether they support the liars involved at the time. They even create lies. The media spins to fill time. They create, where there is no news, something to fill time. This thing where some outlets are now trying to say that many people are upset about the way the attorneys were fired, or let go. What a bunch a crap. It happens all the time. The attorneys knew it was coming. There is no story here yet they use it as a means to portray a poor administration. Typical media crap. So much time needs to be spent in sorting the truth from fiction that there is no time to devote to developing educated opinions.

Back to my biggest problem. The acceptance of lies by supporters. It is amazing to me that no one is held accountable for either being dumb and misrepresenting the facts, or just lying and being deceitful. Why arenít people held accountable? This acceptance of lies is not just by Trumpy supporters.

The extremist Imams preaching hatred and violence, and their suppporters, are no different from Trumpy and his supporters. They are wolves of different species, but wolves nonetheless.

Helmet headed President=Rag headed extremist Imams. They act the same. Just with different causes. So SAD!

Just as sad are the supporters who cannot formulate beliefs and thoughts on their own.
I have now learned to believe that the opposite of what is spoken by Trump is probably the truth. I do my best to confirm and I will probably find that believing the opposite will be the right thing to do the majority of the time.

I look around and ask who will rise and lead? There are very few in either political party that are capable. And the answer does not lie in deconstructing that which made America Great in the past.

VERY SAD!
steeldco
steeldco 
March 11th, 2017 at 5:48:25 AM permalink
BTW, my apologies for the use of a couple of derogatory terms.....just pissed here.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 74
March 11th, 2017 at 9:19:24 AM permalink
Quote: steeldco

BTW, my apologies for the use of a couple of derogatory terms.....just pissed here.

I did not see anything beyond the confines of the forum rules, so no issue there. But I think you said some important truth. Thanks.

I think there's a growing pile of evidence that much of what Trump says seems wildly off-base and inflammatory, but is actually calculated to deflect, project, or distract. And I blame the media for enabling that, right from week 1 of his candidacy, through today. For example, what is it, a week now, wall to wall coverage of Trump tweeting his lies about being wiretapped, trying to deflect the story about his Russian connections, including Flynn, Manafort, and a couple other guys?

He's running out the clock on getting whatever he's promised or obligated to them done. We still haven't seen his taxes or unspooled his foreign ties. I think it's all about that big oil deal Tillerson was involved with that got killed by sanctions.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."

• Jump to: