JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
October 19th, 2016 at 5:25:37 AM permalink
Hello everybody,

I just launched a programming-oriented forum at IndividualBits.com and am inviting my fellow programmers to check it out and join if interested.

I have started by posting some source code snippets for various useful things, mostly for C#, which aren't built in to the .NET framework, plus a full C++ project implementing a Winamp plugin to maximize loudness for that "radio station sound". I will likely be posting more things in the very near future.

If you join, you will be asked a programming question that you must answer correctly, since the goal is to build a community of programmers and programming enthusiasts.

Please check it out if it sounds interesting, no strings attached and no advertising.

- JB
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
October 19th, 2016 at 7:43:56 AM permalink
That test question threw me for a while
Until I decided to see what Visual C# said the answer was, at which point I realized, "That symbol does not mean what I think it means."

Serves me right for learning old-school BASIC in high school. I wonder why very few languages have dedicated symbols (e.g. ** in FORTRAN) for raising numbers to powers.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 19th, 2016 at 12:54:20 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

I wonder why very few languages have dedicated symbols (e.g. ** in FORTRAN) for raising numbers to powers.

I wrote a lot of FORTRAN code in the old days. How the hell did we ever use programming languages that had specific columns designated for specific functions. What a pain in the butt.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
October 19th, 2016 at 1:18:40 PM permalink
JB, your thread to post ratio is not good at all on that site ;-)

Good luck on the new site. I read 2 threads and only understood about 14 words.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
October 19th, 2016 at 2:57:07 PM permalink
And I thought CAPTCHAs were tough.....

Oh, my password can be up to 255 characters long? My usual password is 1023 chars long...
BlueEagle
BlueEagle
  • Threads: 5
October 19th, 2016 at 6:48:43 PM permalink
I don't consider myself to be a computer programmer, but I've always been interested and almost majored in it in college. The programming question gatekeeper intrigued me to take a look and see if I could answer it. When I saw that you have a Web Development forum with sub-forums for PHP, HTML, CSS and others, I figured I was qualified to join. I learned Perl before PHP became the language to use for the web.
MB
MB
  • Threads: 8
October 19th, 2016 at 7:04:24 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

That test question threw me for a while

Until I decided to see what Visual C# said the answer was, at which point I realized, "That symbol does not mean what I think it means."

Serves me right for learning old-school BASIC in high school. I wonder why very few languages have dedicated symbols (e.g. ** in FORTRAN) for raising numbers to powers.

Because raising something to a power doesn't map to a fundamental unit of execution on the processor. This means there is a choice on how the operation gets implemented that is up to the programmer. For example, the programmer may want an IEEE compliant 'pow' function or something more crude with faster execution speed.
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
October 20th, 2016 at 4:23:59 AM permalink
Am I the only one so far to be banned from the site already for poking around the HTML source?
BlueEagle
BlueEagle
  • Threads: 5
October 21st, 2016 at 6:44:41 PM permalink
Quote: wudged

Am I the only one so far to be banned from the site already for poking around the HTML source?

You talked me into it. I took the bait and fell into the trap. Looks like the trap is for bots that don't respect nofollow, and for nosy people who think "this must be a hidden feature that they want me to find!" Maybe I should sue because there weren't enough posted signs warning of the consequences. :-D
socks
socks
  • Threads: 15
October 21st, 2016 at 7:43:07 PM permalink
Quote: wudged

As in "view source" or just having a js console open?

Must, not, look, directly into source...
JB
Administrator
JB
  • Threads: 334
October 22nd, 2016 at 12:42:42 AM permalink
Quote: BlueEagle

You talked me into it. I took the bait and fell into the trap. Looks like the trap is for bots that don't respect nofollow, and for nosy people who think "this must be a hidden feature that they want me to find!" Maybe I should sue because there weren't enough posted signs warning of the consequences. :-D

It's there for bad bots, which I consider a nuisance. The nofollow is more for the search engines; the URL is disallowed by robots.txt and the link is hidden from humans, so any access to it is considered malicious - with an escape route for curious humans who access it.
RS
RS
October 22nd, 2016 at 1:05:40 AM permalink
Robuts you say?
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
October 24th, 2016 at 8:43:29 AM permalink
Quote: socks

As in "view source" or just having a js console open?

Must, not, look, directly into source...

I viewed the HTML source then went to a link that said not to :)
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
October 24th, 2016 at 9:07:22 AM permalink
I've been programming for 10 years. I wanted to just peek at the question last week and I was like "ugh... I'll have to remember/research that real quick". When I went back today though to actually do it, it was a different question, that I was relieved to see =P.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
RS
RS
October 24th, 2016 at 1:48:25 PM permalink
Yeah, the question a little while ago was pretty confusing (something about 1 << 8 I think?). Then an hour or so later, it was the !x&&!y question....like a breath of fresh air.
  • Jump to: