Thread Rating:

odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 271
April 23rd, 2017 at 2:45:47 AM permalink
Best bargain in good coffee right now is Maxwell House Dark Roast - Smooth. There are better coffees if you grind them yourself but they cost plenty.

Regarding toilet paper:

*The quality I like in toilet paper is strength. I hate it when the stuff tears.

*Men and women do not like the same kind of toilet paper - I think you can guess my objection to what my wife buys, she goes for the softness.
"No, I will weep no more. In such a night To shut me out! ... O, that way madness lies; let me shun that; No more of that" - King Lear deciding he has to accept bad Variance
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 206
April 23rd, 2017 at 5:03:27 AM permalink
I truly abhor Old Sock coffee and Boiled Roach coffee.

The absolutely worst thing is to buy a coffee maker and not notice that the switch/light are on the wrong side of the device. Terrible. I know its a tad less than twenty dollars but when your name is Fleastiff, ... .

I've run out of those pre-measured portions already inside of some filter paper. Now I am back to fumbling around for filters and opening that large tin of coffee whle trying to shake the coffee out of the large can and into the small filter paper thing and not spill any.

Here in the boondocks of Florida its important to inspect the innards of electrical devices to ascetain if roaches or lizards have taken up residence and that is so hard to do when not fully awake. I keep saying I'm going to install a small mirror to help me look inside the coffee maker's innards but I never get around to actually doing it.

Well, feral cats fed, klaxon sounding ... time for me to wake up.
Last edited by: FleaStiff on Apr 23, 2017
DiscreteMaths2
DiscreteMaths2
  • Threads: 11
April 23rd, 2017 at 11:07:43 AM permalink
I am trying to read The book on games of chance by Girolamo Cardano. It's a book on gambling and the the first book ever written that contains stuff on probability theory. It was written in the 1500's and its blowing my mind that there is no free translation available on the internet. Like all the publicly funded Universities and historians of the world and no one could take the time to do this...
Assume the worst, believe no one, and make your move only when you are certain that you are unbeatable or have, at worst, exceptionally good odds in your favor.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 206
April 23rd, 2017 at 7:57:27 PM permalink
Heck, you can get an ebook AND a paperback of it for a total of eight dollars. (Not eight dollar each).

You can do an Inter Library loan for free from libraries in Tampa, FL, Charleston, SC, Mobile, AL and about a dozen other libraries.

Are you a member of online library by Wiley? They are expensive but you might have some institutional affiliation and could download all their chapters in PDF format in one ZipTar file.
DiscreteMaths2
DiscreteMaths2
  • Threads: 11
April 23rd, 2017 at 8:54:01 PM permalink
My library didn't have a physical copy but your suggestion for an inter library loan reminded me to check out the available online services (which I have never used before). So I am currently reading an eBook version of it that I have *checked out*. The future is a strange place, this whole complex system is possible but no one could just give simple free access to the text of a 500 year old public domain document.
Assume the worst, believe no one, and make your move only when you are certain that you are unbeatable or have, at worst, exceptionally good odds in your favor.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 65
April 24th, 2017 at 2:30:14 AM permalink
I seemed to have lost my damn keys. Nothing like getting up at 5am for work and cant find work and car keys. I have no freaking idea where they could be. Trying to retrace my steps and can't come up with anything. I have a spare set of car keys but not keys for work.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 77
April 24th, 2017 at 2:51:17 AM permalink
Credit Card Round Robin Scheme - SCHEME - not a scam

get 13 credit cards

1 card is your base card the other 12 are for the Round Robin

fill the base card with your merchandise purchases. when the bill is due do a BALANCE TRANSFER to card #2

unless things have changed credit card companies are happy to do a free balance transfer and depending where you hit the cycle you should get at least another 30 days before interest begins to apply

for the next month fill up your base card with your normal merchandise purchases.

transfer the balance on the base card when due to card #3

when the bill is due on card #2 transfer the balance to card #4

keep transferring the balance due to different cards going round and round

Pay down the principle when you want to and it is convenient for you, not when they demand it or start charging you interest

Eventually some of the cards may say no more balance tranfers

But by then you should have been able to get at least one year free of interest

Nothing illegal or unethical about it.
genius has its limitations. but stupidity is boundless.
GWAE
GWAE
April 24th, 2017 at 2:54:19 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Credit Card Round Robin Scheme - SCHEME - not a scam

get 13 credit cards

1 card is your base card the other 12 are for the Round Robin

fill the base card with your merchandise purchases. when the bill is due do a BALANCE TRANSFER to card #2

unless things have changed credit card companies are happy to do a free balance transfer and depending where you hit the cycle you should get at least another 30 days before interest begins to apply

for the next month fill up your base card with your normal merchandise purchases.

transfer the balance on the base card when due to card #3

when the bill is due on card #2 transfer the balance to card #4

keep transferring the balance due to different cards going round and round

Pay down the principle when you want to and it is convenient for you, not when they demand it or start charging you interest

Eventually some of the cards may say no more balance tranfers

But by then you should have been able to get at least one year free of interest

Nothing illegal or unethical about it.

Must have been a while since you have done this because cards charge 3-5% for a balance transfer now. Sometimes you can get a promo with free tranfers but that is limited.
GWAE
GWAE
April 24th, 2017 at 3:03:21 AM permalink
Just found out my last grandparent died a few hours ago. He was in hospice and not doing well the last few days. We were not close so I am probably less sad than I should be. It does make me feel a little older though and realizing my parents are now next in line to go.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 77
April 24th, 2017 at 3:13:17 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Must have been a while since you have done this because cards charge 3-5% for a balance transfer now. Sometimes you can get a promo with free tranfers but that is limited.

you are right but through nerdwallet.com i did find one card with zero transfer fee for 60 days and 0% interest for 15 months when opening an account if nerdwallet's claim is accurate. so the scheme won't work but it caused me to do some googling and I found this card.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/top-credit-cards/nerdwallets-best-balance-transfer-credit-cards/
genius has its limitations. but stupidity is boundless.

• Jump to: