Thread Rating:

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 8th, 2019 at 7:07:36 AM permalink
Quote: PokerGrinder

I actually prefer the end piece on a ham. It has more flavour, less fat and is a little drier like jerky which I enjoy. I'm weird, I know.

I grill my ham steaks until they are very dry and have a good char on them. Definitely my favorite way to eat ham.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
April 8th, 2019 at 8:10:27 AM permalink
Quote: RS

Tipping good or bad in restaurants and why?

Bad, but it's going to take a huge cultural and economic shift to change it.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
April 8th, 2019 at 8:17:37 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Joe's crab shack does not allow tips. On credit cars slips there isnt a spot for it. Many people probably still leave cash. Not sure what they do with that or if the server gets it.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
GWAE
GWAE
April 8th, 2019 at 8:18:30 AM permalink

Joe's crab shack does not allow tips. On credit cars slips there isnt a spot for it. Many people probably still leave cash. Not sure what they do with that or if the server gets it.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
GWAE
GWAE
April 8th, 2019 at 9:11:23 AM permalink
just picked up son from preschool. They sent a letter home saying someone in the class has chicken pox and to watch out for it. Stupid anti vaxxers shouldnt be allowed in school with other kids. If they are they should have to alert other parents.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
RogerKint
April 8th, 2019 at 9:20:04 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

just picked up son from preschool. They sent a letter home saying someone in the class has chicken pox and to watch out for it. Stupid anti vaxxers shouldnt be allowed in school with other kids. If they are they should have to alert other parents.

Why be concerned about it if your kid is vaccinated? Also,,,when did they start vaccinating for chickenpox?
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
April 8th, 2019 at 10:35:21 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Why be concerned about it if your kid is vaccinated?

Why care aboot street races? You have a seat belt.

Quote: MaxPen

Also,,,when did they start vaccinating for chickenpox?

1984. More of a symptom modifier than prevention, but 35yrs ago
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
April 8th, 2019 at 11:03:58 AM permalink
Its a question of risk and emotions.
A few schools get shot up and its suddenly guards and drills and nonstop coverage
One kid's party suffers some taintd food and suddenly ALL scools are insisting that ALL food be from a grocery store with the original package intact and the receipt provided.
One study somewhere show cell phones cause brain cancer and zoning laws are being proposed .
Someone gets sick after a vaccine shot and suddenly dangers are magnified and parents want to protect their kid from a very slight risk by exposing all kids to a much higher risk.
fads in fashion are bad enough but in more serious matters it can be a danger.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
April 8th, 2019 at 11:31:30 AM permalink
5 months on, and my sister still hasn't been able to go home from getting a vaccine. Over 6 weeks in intensive care. Now in 24 hr. adult facility and having to get nutrition through a feeding tube. Rare for sure, but JFC, 5 months?
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
April 8th, 2019 at 11:43:08 AM permalink
the new shingles vaccine can really screw you up, evidently. The old vaccine was pretty ineffective, they say, I did get that one but a push is on for us who got it, to get the new one.

20% get an adverse reaction , which is not to say 20% get 'screwed up bad'

yet people who have had shingles say it is worth the risk to get vaccinated.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 8th, 2019 at 11:58:20 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

the new shingles vaccine can really screw you up, evidently. The old vaccine was pretty ineffective, they say, I did get that one but a push is on for us who got it, to get the new one.

20% get an adverse reaction , which is not to say 20% get 'screwed up bad'

yet people who have had shingles say it is worth the risk to get vaccinated.

What is an adverse reaction? Two years ago, after a flu shot, I commented to one of my DRs assistants that my upper arm was red and sore after the shot. Last year he asked me if I wanted another one or was I afraid of another adverse reaction? A sore arm or three or four days with the flu. Tough choice.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 8th, 2019 at 1:23:42 PM permalink

That's not an "anti-vaxxer" thing.... that's just a "stupid parent letting their sick kid go to school" thing.

I had chicken pox when I was younger and my parents were not even remotely anti-vax. I was home from school for a good two weeks.
GWAE
GWAE
April 8th, 2019 at 1:32:42 PM permalink

That's not an "anti-vaxxer" thing.... that's just a "stupid parent letting their sick kid go to school" thing.

I had chicken pox when I was younger and my parents were not even remotely anti-vax. I was home from school for a good two weeks.

It's a little of both since the pox vac is a standard vac. They had to have stopped doc from giving it.
Btw, I was a kid before the vac was out, just barely and I never had it or chicken pox. So by parents not giving it, it puts me at risk. This is the first kid that I have heard havenit locally so I never thought about it. Going to talk to doc tomorrow to see if there is a vac that I should get. Hopefully my vac kid didnt just carry it home.

That would make for a bad week. Got bit by tick and now have to worry about CP.
GWAE
GWAE
April 8th, 2019 at 1:34:03 PM permalink
Oh btw, I am a total hypocrite. I have never had a flu shot in my life. I have also never had the flu. Axel will probably call BS since he doesnt believe that I have never had a hangover
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 8th, 2019 at 1:46:09 PM permalink

It's a little of both since the pox vac is a standard vac. They had to have stopped doc from giving it.

Oh, I didn't know it was standard now.

And it looks like the vaccine wasn't even released in the U.S. until 1995. That explains why I never got it, since I had chicken pox in 1993.
DRich
DRich
April 8th, 2019 at 1:47:01 PM permalink

Oh btw, I am a total hypocrite. I have never had a flu shot in my life. I have also never had the flu. Axel will probably call BS since he doesnt believe that I have never had a hangover

You are a lucky man. When I do get the flu I am usually down for 7-10 days. It is miserable with the body aches.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
Thanked by
petroglyph
April 8th, 2019 at 1:50:46 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

5 months on, and my sister still hasn't been able to go home from getting a vaccine. Over 6 weeks in intensive care. Now in 24 hr. adult facility and having to get nutrition through a feeding tube. Rare for sure, but JFC, 5 months?

National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
April 8th, 2019 at 2:12:57 PM permalink

I have never had a flu shot in my life. I have also never had the flu.

That was me until about 6 years ago. Then I caught the flu. And had it for 2 months! Now I get a flu shot every year.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
GWAE
GWAE
April 8th, 2019 at 2:16:16 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

You are a lucky man. When I do get the flu I am usually down for 7-10 days. It is miserable with the body aches.

I am such a baby when I am sick. I say it's because I never really get sick. I think I have had a cold maybe 3 times in 5 years. I attribute it to all the pop, greasy food, and eating dirt as a kid.

I say every year that I am not getting the flu shot until I get the flu. Wife gets shot every year and last year she had the flu about 3 weeks after the shot.
GWAE
GWAE
April 8th, 2019 at 2:17:27 PM permalink
Quote: Joeman

That was me until about 6 years ago. Then I caught the flu. And had it for 2 months! Now I get a flu shot every year.

Yep first time I get it will change everything. Kinda like flying spirit. Been on them 12 or so times and never had a problem. The first problem may be my last flight with them. Just hope it's not may.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
April 8th, 2019 at 2:21:44 PM permalink
I caught something last fall that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Strange thing is it has horrible for 24 hours, I felt better but not good for three days and then another 24 hours of hell. Every hour, almost like clockwork, I would empty out every fluid I had in my body and I'd feel good for about 45 minutes, then repeat itself. I hadn't been that sick since I was a kid.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
petroglyph
petroglyph
April 8th, 2019 at 2:28:27 PM permalink
Quote: Tanko

Thanks. The vaccine that she is reacting to was for Yellow fever, I didn't see it on those lists?

I don't know if she will seek compensation or not, and will leave that decision up to her, without any opinion from me. She has medical insurance, but this has to be running into a large amount of money by now, even just the copays and other expenses.
GWAE
GWAE
April 8th, 2019 at 2:49:21 PM permalink

Thanks. The vaccine that she is reacting to was for Yellow fever, I didn't see it on those lists?

I don't know if she will seek compensation or not, and will leave that decision up to her, without any opinion from me. She has medical insurance, but this has to be running into a large amount of money by now, even just the copays and other expenses.

What happened? Why did she react so poorly to it? Was she getting it to travel overseas?
petroglyph
petroglyph
April 8th, 2019 at 3:16:44 PM permalink

What happened? Why did she react so poorly to it? Was she getting it to travel overseas?

I have no idea the reason? I think the odds were about 1/1000000?

Was going to visit Guyana, probably seemed like a good idea at the time. She is otherwise healthy, never held a cigarette, exercises and eats right. Had the vaccine and within two days started having seizures, then went down completely. Been under doctors care every since early Nov.

At first they thought she had the human variant of Mad cow disease, which is always fatal. Spent the holidays intubated.
GWAE
GWAE
April 8th, 2019 at 3:30:22 PM permalink

Was going to visit Guyana, probably seemed like a good idea at the time. She is otherwise healthy, never held a cigarette, exercises and eats right. Had the vaccine and within two days started having seizures, then went down completely. Been under doctors care every since early Nov.

At first they thought she had the human variant of Mad cow disease, which is always fatal. Spent the holidays intubated.

Wow that is crappy. I hope she has a full recovery
petroglyph
petroglyph
April 8th, 2019 at 3:42:17 PM permalink

Thanks. I think of it as a life lesson. She retired 3 years ago after working for 50 years sans 4 yrs. for college. Enjoy life along the way, don't save up all our enjoyment until retirement. I know you play. I have witnessed some pretty severe disappointment from those that just wouldn't go home when able.

Speaking of which, I wonder where MrV has gotten off to?
GWAE
GWAE
April 8th, 2019 at 5:05:07 PM permalink

Thanks. I think of it as a life lesson. She retired 3 years ago after working for 50 years sans 4 yrs. for college. Enjoy life along the way, don't save up all our enjoyment until retirement. I know you play. I have witnessed some pretty severe disappointment from those that just wouldn't go home when able.

That is a very important life lesson. I used to make really good money in my 20s. I was retail store manager for a big company. I was working 80 hours a week and every Friday night, long day Saturday and every other sunday plus many nights. It really sucked. So when we got married we decided that I would change careers, make less money but enjoy life more and be able to do be with the planned kids.

I still work really hard with long hours but they never interfere with family.
GWAE
GWAE
April 8th, 2019 at 5:39:17 PM permalink
Gawd I feel like I need a gwae corner like nathan.

Today has been a weird day. We have a TV show on. There is a good looking girl on with lots of cleavage. My 4 year old says.. mommy look at those boobies. Wife tells him to stop. I laugh and say well he ain't lieing.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
April 8th, 2019 at 6:47:56 PM permalink

I wonder why some people don't get sick. How much of it is fitness, attitude or genes? Genes for what? Having more bad ass white blood cells or something?

I got sick about the normal amount as a kid. Rarely as an adult. Since I started with diet, meditation, working out, etc., which is about 4-5 years, I don't think I've caught any kind of bug. I do still get these weird allergies that produce a bunch of mucus.

This makes me think of my dad, who has a different approach, but has always been big on positive thinking and is super active and so forth. The guy gets sick maybe once or twice a decade.
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
petroglyph
April 8th, 2019 at 6:53:02 PM permalink

I think of it as a life lesson. She retired 3 years ago after working for 50 years sans 4 yrs. for college. Enjoy life along the way, don't save up all our enjoyment until retirement. I know you play. I have witnessed some pretty severe disappointment from those that just wouldn't go home when able.

I had 2 friends/clients who both retired about 5 -6 years ago. One was a university professor and within 2 years of retiring he was diagnosed with something that was very similar to Alzheimer's, yet wasn't although the end result will be about the same. He was always very intellectual so it hit him hard.

The second was also from the University but she worked in admissions. She was bright as a tack too; got a law degree just for fun and never used it. A year or so after she retired she was diagnosed with some kind of palsy. She can't walk now without assistance and has 24/7 care in her home. It's very unlikely that she'll live more than another couple of years.

So yes, I heartily agree: whatever it is DO IT NOW because you don't know how much time you have.

He popped into another forum to say he's taking a break from posting, and as I recall from gambling too.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
April 8th, 2019 at 7:16:09 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I wonder why some people don't get sick. How much of it is fitness, attitude or genes? Genes for what? Having more bad ass white blood cells or something?

The most deadly flu pandemic (early 1900s) actually killed healthy people better than anyone else, unlike most of the current strains which are more dangerous for people with weak immune systems.. The immune system literally destroyed the body system in an excessive attempt to protect the body from the virus. Kinda like letting the enemy inside the castle before blowing it up. Lose, lose.

Many more people were killed months later when a second wave of the virus would pass again through the remaining populace, who often thought it was over with after the first time.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
April 8th, 2019 at 10:29:15 PM permalink
From a 1950 comic book

Okay whats wrong with this picture?

For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
rxwine
rxwine
April 8th, 2019 at 11:12:14 PM permalink
He's smoking in bed. He's smoking in a hospital. Thrown clear? Was he thrown from a car? Did he go through the windshield? Because they didn't have seatbelts then. He wouldn't look like that.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
April 9th, 2019 at 12:00:33 AM permalink

Oh btw, I am a total hypocrite. I have never had a flu shot in my life. I have also never had the flu. Axel will probably call BS since he doesn't believe that I have never had a hangover

Eating dirt and licking lead paint has probably dulled your senses and or whatever so much so that you can't even tell when you are sick or hung over.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
DRich
DRich
April 9th, 2019 at 6:38:33 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

Eating dirt and licking lead paint has probably dulled your senses and or whatever so much so that you can't even tell when you are sick or hung over.

My guess is he does get sick. I think he just doesn't realize it, being sick is much better than a typical day in Pittsburgh.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
April 9th, 2019 at 11:19:10 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

I got sick about the normal amount as a kid. Rarely as an adult. Since I started with diet, meditation, working out, etc., which is about 4-5 years, I don't think I've caught any kind of bug. I do still get these weird allergies that produce a bunch of mucus.

This makes me think of my dad, who has a different approach, but has always been big on positive thinking and is super active and so forth. The guy gets sick maybe once or twice a decade.

Now that I work from home. Hardly get sick. No longer catching what's going around the office.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
terapined
terapined
April 9th, 2019 at 11:50:20 AM permalink
Listening to live Aerosmith 6/29/10 Palais Omnisports, Paris France
Steven Tyler is funny
He always introduces every band member but saves the best introduction for Joe Perry using an F bomb every single concert
"and on lead guitar Joe fuc**ng Perry"
Its getting to the point where after Steven says "Joe" , he hesitates and the whole audience screams "fu**ing" because they know its coming, even in France :-)
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
RogerKint
April 9th, 2019 at 12:31:19 PM permalink
Has the golden gate been given some sort of exemption for having an eatery, thought it was required for the gaming license they hold? I know Dupars closed, it’s been over two years, seems an excessive amount of time to replace it.
TigerWu
TigerWu
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
April 9th, 2019 at 1:02:55 PM permalink
First ever picture of a black hole is due to be released tomorrow.
GWAE
GWAE
April 9th, 2019 at 1:10:00 PM permalink

How do they get close enough for a pic. Wouldn't they get sucked in or something. After they get the picture they should have gone towards it to see what really happens.
GWAE
GWAE
April 9th, 2019 at 1:13:21 PM permalink
I know absolutely nothing about space but to think how large it is is amazing. That black hole is 4 million times larger that the sun. Cant even comprehend how large that is
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 9th, 2019 at 1:26:58 PM permalink
And they linked up multiple observatories across the world essentially making a telescope the size of the Earth.

Astronomy is awesome... I briefly considered it as a career but I absolutely hate math and it seems like there's a lot of math involved in astronomy.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
April 9th, 2019 at 1:53:31 PM permalink

Wouldn't a picture of a black hole be impossible since a picture is the light that is reflected off an object and since light can't escape a black hole...?
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 9th, 2019 at 2:01:20 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Wouldn't a picture of a black hole be impossible since a picture is the light that is reflected off an object and since light can't escape a black hole...?

There's a bunch of crap orbiting the black hole that they can image.

Here's an educational video about it.
rxwine
rxwine
April 9th, 2019 at 3:01:54 PM permalink
I've seen a black hole.

slot machine
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 10th, 2019 at 7:50:24 AM permalink
Here it is. First ever picture of a black hole.

P.S., the darkness in the center is the size of our Solar System.
Last edited by: TigerWu on Apr 10, 2019
terapined
terapined
April 10th, 2019 at 8:17:29 AM permalink
I am not a big country music fan but some songs I like
When it comes to country, I prefer roots, real old country songs or bluegrass
Just heard the song "Old Town Road"
Pretty good song. Has some banjo and I adore the banjo sound being a huge Bela Fleck fan
The song was taken off the country charts by billboard
WTF, Sounds country to me. Its a combination of country with some hip hop elements but mostly country
I love music that crosses genres, That's why I am a Bela Fleck fan, he crosses bluegrass with jazz
Billboard stated "does not embrace enough elements of today's country music to chart in its current version."
WTF.
The artist is a Black rapper, maybe that's the problem
Is this a country song? You decide
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
April 10th, 2019 at 9:06:15 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Many more people were killed months later when a second wave of the virus would pass again through the remaining populace, who often thought it was over with after the first time.

It is possible to administer a weak pathogen to animals that are undernourished and then harvest a much more virulent pathogen. Witk the flu pandemic undernourished hosts could easily provide a second wave.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
April 10th, 2019 at 9:13:08 AM permalink

and it seems like there's a lot of math involved in astronomy.

There is a great deal of math involved with anything much to the annoyance of a 'mathematically challenged' type such as myself.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
Thanked by
RogerKint
April 10th, 2019 at 9:14:47 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Billboard stated "does not embrace enough elements of today's country music to chart in its current version."

Much of "Today's country" is rap for folks who are scared of black people. And even then, this song doesn't cut it lol.

There's literally nothing country about this. Not the tempo, not the structure, nothing. One chord on a banjo and the word "horse" does not a country song make.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
  • Jump to: