Thread Rating:

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
September 20th, 2021 at 1:07:35 PM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

approaching Dow down 3% from last close, more than 3% I think from all time high. Just keeps going down now.

• link to original post

I bought BROS this morning. Up 10% since I bought it! For once I am up on the day I bought it.

This could be a real runner. Up 10% on a bloodbath day?
    All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
    odiousgambit
    odiousgambit
    • Threads: 326
    September 20th, 2021 at 1:21:09 PM permalink
    a drive-through coffee chain? up 18% it looks like

somebody buying them out?
    the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
    billryan
    billryan
    September 20th, 2021 at 1:24:56 PM permalink
    Not familiar with the stock. I understand it is a drive up coffee stand but I don't know much more. Some IPOs pop and continue to trend upwards, other fall back to their predicted value. Best of luck with it.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    darkoz
    darkoz
    • Threads: 297
    September 20th, 2021 at 1:27:31 PM permalink
    Quote: billryan

Quote: darkoz

Doom. Doom and Gloom. Gloom and Doom.

Markets go up, and markets go down. Savvy investors make money during both. Unless you are planning to withdraw money from the market tomorrow, sit back and enjoy the free roller coaster ride.

• link to original post

I will post this after your next doom and gloom post about Bitcoin
  • link to original post

I think it has become quite apparent you don't understand the market nearly as well as you think you do, but if you want to reinforce the concept, please do.
  • link to original post

You make it very easy!
    For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
    DRich
    DRich
    • Threads: 86
    September 20th, 2021 at 1:28:26 PM permalink

Not familiar with the stock. I understand it is a drive up coffee stand but I don't know much more. Some IPOs pop and continue to trend upwards, other fall back to their predicted value. Best of luck with it.

• link to original post

I think they just went public last week. I know lots of teens that swear by them. Apparently they are the teenagers version of Starbucks. That may mean they will have a future as those kids grow up.
    At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
    billryan
    billryan
    September 20th, 2021 at 1:30:37 PM permalink
    Quote: DRich

• link to original post

I think they just went public last week. I know lots of teens that swear by them. Apparently they are the teenagers version of Starbucks. That may mean they will have a future as those kids grow up.
  • link to original post

I never saw these in NY, and the one I saw in Vegas didn't look busy. The one by me didn't even look like it had seats, just a walk up and drive thru.
    The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    • Threads: 122
    September 20th, 2021 at 1:34:32 PM permalink

Quote: SOOPOO

I saw. Portfolio down 1% in pre market. That usually equates to nearly 2% once all the stocks are open for trade. Oh well….

• link to original post

If your portfolio is up 130+ %, what was the Dow when you started? It would be interesting to compare the two. I no longer buy individual stocks but when I did I always tracked them by how they did relative to the Dow.
  • link to original post

It’s hard for me to compare, but Dow is up around 110% from when I started the portfolio. That means my stocks have overperformed the Dow, as I do have a chunk of the money in bonds and some in cash. Rethinking it, I may be about even with the Dow if I include the dividends a Dow ETF pays.

After mutual fund recalculates today I’ll be back down to up 131%. High was up 139%.

This portfolio is now almost 7 1/2 years old!
    billryan
    billryan
    September 20th, 2021 at 1:35:29 PM permalink

• link to original post

• link to original post

Branding experts will say that can also be a bad thing as girls grow up, they often leave behind the kid stuff just because it is associated with kids.
    Since I don't drink coffee nor invest in individual stocks, this isn't a company I have any interest in.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    September 20th, 2021 at 1:45:22 PM permalink
    Quote: odiousgambit

a drive-through coffee chain? up 18% it looks like

somebody buying them out?

• link to original post

As others said above, it just went public at about $24 a few weeks ago. I heard of them on Motley Fool Podcast. Bought on momentum, never been to one. SBUX needs some competition maybe they give it? Regional for now. Maybe it ten-bags?
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    September 23rd, 2021 at 5:38:53 AM permalink
    Up 133%. Which of course is down a bit from ATH of up 139%. But premarket looks like will make 134% today. I think next post I’ll do a ‘YTD’ summary. More informative than the 7.5 year summary.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    Thanked by
    odiousgambit
    October 15th, 2021 at 5:02:54 PM permalink
    Now up 136% from inception. ATH was +139%. So still a tad below its best.

I post more when it is going up than going down.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    October 16th, 2021 at 6:17:00 AM permalink

• link to original post

• link to original post

I never saw these in NY, and the one I saw in Vegas didn't look busy. The one by me didn't even look like it had seats, just a walk up and drive thru.
    link to original post

It has been an interesting few weeks for BROS. The post-IPO activity seems to have consolidated and it is now running, hopefully my bull put spread on it pays! As to the chain they do take out and drive thru. Their customer service seems to be intentionally or unintentionally following the Chick-Fil-A model of great and friendly service. I will be holding as it might be one of those "it seems expensive now but....." restaurant stocks.]

The last thing this guy needs is a cup of coffee.....
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    October 16th, 2021 at 6:21:46 AM permalink
    Ever get in on the cheapo stock and it pays off?

I got into AERG at about $0.37 a year or so ago. Now at $2.58! Now, I bring it up now because lately it just keeps moving the right direction. Look into it if you like. Might be a defense contract play.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    October 16th, 2021 at 6:29:53 AM permalink
    Quote: AZDuffman

I got into AERG at about $0.37 a year or so ago. Now at $2.58! Now, I bring it up now because lately it just keeps moving the right direction. Look into it if you like. Might be a defense contract play.
    link to original post

GLXZ! In at around $.23. Now around $4.30.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    October 16th, 2021 at 7:10:23 AM permalink

link to original post

GLXZ! In at around $.23. Now around $4.30.
    link to original post

NICE! Get some Beef on Weck!

Also in DPLS, down a few cents but it is like $0.09. Thinking of accumulate with premiums from covered call sales the next few months. Like SHIB, better than dropping it on lottery tickets.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    October 20th, 2021 at 7:52:13 PM permalink
    Closing in on ATH again. + 139%. But I think still a tad below last close of +139%.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    October 25th, 2021 at 2:48:26 PM permalink

Closing in on ATH again. + 139%. But I think still a tad below last close of +139%.
    link to original post

Another day…. another $$$$$ …. Up 142%. TSLA leads the way!
    MDawg
    MDawg
    • Threads: 39
    October 25th, 2021 at 3:04:14 PM permalink
    So you actually sit there and calculate that % daily? I suppose it's a way to state the results without revealing exact dollar amounts, if that is the intent.

I have to admit, I used to maintain a spreadsheet where I kept track of every deposit and withdrawal to my stock accounts, but eventually as I grew to a status of never withdrawing and the value of each account was increasing exponentially well beyond any deposits I made, I stopped keeping exact track.

And nowadays the brokerages provide full records including bases so I don't need to track the over all value of the account, if anything I need to keep track of individual trades to make sure the IRS is not misapplying the wash sales rule to me. As far as long terms, I almost never sell these and if I do, anyway, again, the brokerages will provide me with all the figures I need to provide to my CPA.
    I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    October 25th, 2021 at 6:25:47 PM permalink
    I know what the initial deposit was. It was close to an exact amount, say $1,000,000. So if it is now $2,420,000 easy to figure up 142%. No calculator needed. No subsequent deposits so very easy.
    DRich
    DRich
    October 25th, 2021 at 6:37:28 PM permalink

I know what the initial deposit was. It was close to an exact amount, say $1,000,000. So if it is now $2,420,000 easy to figure up 142%. No calculator needed. No subsequent deposits so very easy.
    link to original post

I am moving soon, 1% of your portfolio would be a welcomed house warming gift. I might even invite you over.
    MDawg
    MDawg
    • Threads: 39
    October 25th, 2021 at 8:36:08 PM permalink

link to original post

So are you saying you're ready to start betting table limit (OR BEYOND) side by side with MDawg at the tables? a life of leisure and devil may care because there's so much that you couldn't possibly be concerned if you lost some of it?

Or, if not that - how about some BIG OL' stock trades? Let's do this thing, together!
    Last edited by: MDawg on Oct 25, 2021
    I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    October 26th, 2021 at 6:32:54 AM permalink
    Quote: MDawg

link to original post

So are you saying you're ready to start betting table limit (OR BEYOND) side by side with MDawg at the tables? a life of leisure and devil may care because there's so much that you couldn't possibly be concerned if you lost some of it?

Or, if not that - how about some BIG OL' stock trades? Let's do this thing, together!
    link to original post

I won’t be betting table limits with you! I am perhaps the smallest ‘guppy’ when it comes to playing the -EV games I enjoy.

As far as stock trades, I absolutely will consider a buy if you have a stock you think is undervalued. Or on the way up. Or ….

So I am SUPER happy now about last two days. Remember, all my TSLA is in a retirement account. So what did I do with the $10k? I bought 200 DKNG, and put a sell order in at $1.50 more. It sold in pre market! $300. For pushing a few buttons. Plus I’ve been happy with my few months ago buys of XYLD, QYLD, and RYLD. The around 1% MONTHLY dividends just got paid to my account.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    October 26th, 2021 at 7:59:43 AM permalink
    TSLA now up to 1088. I think my next sell point will be 1200. At 1088, it is expected to earn well less than 1% next year. But what the heck…. I’ll keep taking profits….
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    October 26th, 2021 at 5:37:37 PM permalink
    Down today. Back to +141%. Worst performer percentage wise? CYDY!
    mosss45
    mosss45
    • Threads: 0
    October 27th, 2021 at 11:33:42 PM permalink
    I often trade stocks in the stock market. The main thing is to rip out the direction of investment and constantly read the news. Analysis of news helps to make mistakes less.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    October 28th, 2021 at 5:44:59 AM permalink
    Quote: mosss45

I often trade stocks in the stock market. The main thing is to rip out the direction of investment and constantly read the news. Analysis of news helps to make mistakes less.
    link to original post

. Thanks for the advice.

The recent VOLATILITY in TSLA has exceeded on a daily basis (sometimes) the entire VALUE of Ford.

If they were for sale, Elon Musk could afford to buy EVERY NBA, NFL, NHL, and MLB team!
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    October 28th, 2021 at 8:49:14 AM permalink
    I have two pennies. DPLS and INND. Both made the OTC momentum list same day!

Dropping a few bucks on them is better than dropping it on roulette.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    October 28th, 2021 at 1:41:31 PM permalink

link to original post

I looked at them. They were both up big today! Congratulations! I didn’t buy either. I was too busy being happy that WoV portfolio was up again.. likely to plus 142% after TWCUX gets revalued in an hour.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    October 28th, 2021 at 2:58:41 PM permalink

link to original post

I looked at them. They were both up big today! Congratulations! I didn’t buy either. I was too busy being happy that WoV portfolio was up again.. likely to plus 142% after TWCUX gets revalued in an hour.
    link to original post

Thanks, Need them to ten bag. Yesterday I was getting hooked on watching my SHIB. Today and tomorrow it is AAPL I need to stay over 147 until this time tomorrow.

Then the games I pick on Sunday........
    TDVegas
    TDVegas
    • Threads: 3
    October 28th, 2021 at 3:05:19 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Thanks, Need them to ten bag. Yesterday I was getting hooked on watching my SHIB. Today and tomorrow it is AAPL I need to stay over 147 until this time tomorrow.

Then the games I pick on Sunday........
    link to original post

Apple has been a disappointing stock for the past 12 months. Today marks the 4th straight earnings report where the stock gets clocked. Love the product…not happy with the stock, especially seeing other stocks reach new highs.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    October 29th, 2021 at 1:24:20 PM permalink
    WoV portfolio up trivially today, all thanks to TSLA cracking 1100. My other 4 portfolios all down. So slightly down day. I’m stunned best stock today was X (US Steel) which I thought would go down due to failure of passage of infrastructure bill.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    November 1st, 2021 at 1:18:52 PM permalink
    TSLA up to around $1200. Helps put WoV portfolio at +145%. None of my other portfolios are at ATH's. But getting close. I am happy with XYLD, QYLD, and RYLD. I spoke to a golf buddy who is a financial money manager type guy (not a client of his), and he said it is very easy to make money selling covered calls, if you already have the stock. I'm happy there is are ETFs that do it for me.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    November 2nd, 2021 at 3:03:23 AM permalink

TSLA up to around $1200. Helps put WoV portfolio at +145%. None of my other portfolios are at ATH's. But getting close. I am happy with XYLD, QYLD, and RYLD. I spoke to a golf buddy who is a financial money manager type guy (not a client of his), and he said it is very easy to make money selling covered calls, if you already have the stock. I'm happy there is are ETFs that do it for me.
    link to original post

Covered calls are a wonderful thing and I got into QYLD just a few weeks ago. Meant to sooner but had my money tied up. QYLD will not go up much, so make sure you are in dividend reinvest if you are not already. I did not see if you said so earlier.

I was kicking it on covered calls on XXII earlier this year. Also WKHS, where I have nearly paid for the stock. Funny thing is at Schwab if you sell covered calls and they expire it lowers your cost basis on the positions screen. So it takes a few months and I am like what the eff? Why am I up so high. I call and the guy congratulates me on doing it. Says he keeps getting calls people asking how to get out of that bad trade and he says to use covered calls. He said to me, "you know your way around an option!" which made my day.

I used a vertical-call spread to make a quick $280 or so last week, a bit more risky but I like doing them. They can be like laying the points on the Bills who decide not to cover until late in the game though.

Anyone else like covered calls?
    TumblingBones
    TumblingBones
    • Threads: 29
    November 2nd, 2021 at 6:43:02 AM permalink
    I don't do a lot of active trading these days but I used to use them a lot. My wife is more pro-active with trades and likes to use covered calls the same way you do. I also found buying puts to be a useful strategy at times. I would use it as a type of insurance against a sudden price drop when I held a large position in some company and they were about to announce earnings. One thing I never do or recommend is selling uncovered calls unless it's part of a more complex trade like a straddle or butterfly.
    To repeat something I posted in another thread, I highly recommend picking up a copy of "Option Volatility & Pricing" by Natenberg. It's essential reading for anyone who wants to AP the stock market.
    My goal of being well informed conflicts with my goal of remaining sane.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    November 2nd, 2021 at 7:42:16 AM permalink
    Quote: TumblingBones

I don't do a lot of active trading these days but I used to use them a lot. My wife is more pro-active with trades and likes to use covered calls the same way you do. I also found buying puts to be a useful strategy at times. I would use it as a type of insurance against a sudden price drop when I held a large position in some company and they were about to announce earnings. One thing I never do or recommend is selling uncovered calls unless it's part of a more complex trade like a straddle or butterfly.
    To repeat something I posted in another thread, I highly recommend picking up a copy of "Option Volatility & Pricing" by Natenberg. It's essential reading for anyone who wants to AP the stock market.
    link to original post

There is a word for those who sell naked calls. IDIOT!

I just placed a Bull Call Spread on AAPL expiring Friday. Lets hope AAPL stays above 150.
    TumblingBones
    TumblingBones
    November 2nd, 2021 at 8:05:27 AM permalink
    Interesting. I had never looked in to the pros and cons of bull calls but I can think of several stocks where they might be a good strategy. I'm tempted to try it out later today but it might interfere with my nap time :)
    Last edited by: TumblingBones on Nov 2, 2021
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    November 2nd, 2021 at 8:35:28 AM permalink

Interesting. I had never looked in to the pros and cons of bull calls but I can think of several stocks where they might be a good strategy. I'm tempted to try it out later today but it might interfere with my nap time :)
    link to original post

Well I will describe it all in a thread if enough people care.

Meanwhile they guy my brother explained them to after I explained to my brother just bought a fancy SUV with the cash he got from them. Guy had made SIX FIGURES after he heard about how to do options. And I will not even explain bull calls and other veritcals to them until we are in person.

Now, he had 2 Lambos and other stuff before, but guy is macking it hard with options since he learned. I actually feel fulfilled.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    November 2nd, 2021 at 11:44:57 AM permalink
    So AZ, AAPL I see hit 151.57 earlier today. You said you needed it to stay below 150. So what was your exposure and what was your loss?
    terapined
    terapined
    • Threads: 89
    November 2nd, 2021 at 11:57:44 AM permalink
    Dow cracking 36k
    Woo-hoo
    Retired and making more then I am spending exploring the country
    Life could not be better
    Pigging out at Resorts World Street Food
    I'm blown away
    Best casino food court in the city
    Its not even close
    Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    November 2nd, 2021 at 1:12:06 PM permalink

So AZ, AAPL I see hit 151.57 earlier today. You said you needed it to stay below 150. So what was your exposure and what was your loss?
    link to original post

If I said that I said it wrong, I need it to be > 150 at market close on Friday. My max loss is $0.65 on 1100 shares if it falls below 149.

I also legged in to a 14 or so month trade on XXII, we will see how that goes. A credit spread for those who know options.

Normally I would wait until Wed to do the AAPL trade type but I will be gassed in the morning and recovering in the afternoon.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    November 2nd, 2021 at 3:23:11 PM permalink

link to original post

If I said that I said it wrong, I need it to be > 150 at market close on Friday. My max loss is $0.65 on 1100 shares if it falls below 149.

I also legged in to a 14 or so month trade on XXII, we will see how that goes. A credit spread for those who know options.

Normally I would wait until Wed to do the AAPL trade type but I will be gassed in the morning and recovering in the afternoon.
    link to original post

I mis-remembered what you wrote! Anyway, this portfolio barely held on to plus 145% today. My non TSLA portion was UP. But not enough to counter the DOWN from TSLA. I planned on selling a little at 1200…. but didn’t pull trigger. I DID do a quick trade on 200 shares of DKNG pocketing around $80. Woo hoo!
    AZDuffman
    AZDuffman
    November 2nd, 2021 at 4:50:08 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I mis-remembered what you wrote! Anyway, this portfolio barely held on to plus 145% today. My non TSLA portion was UP. But not enough to counter the DOWN from TSLA. I planned on selling a little at 1200…. but didn’t pull trigger. I DID do a quick trade on 200 shares of DKNG pocketing around $80. Woo hoo!
    link to original post

You can mis-remember me just do not misunderestimate me!
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    November 3rd, 2021 at 2:14:49 PM permalink
    Up to +146% as of close today. May hit +147% after TWCUX gets revalued in around an hour. TSLA around $1210. Biggest winner today was SMG.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    November 5th, 2021 at 6:11:47 AM permalink
    Up to +148% in premarket, and it’s NOT due to TSLA! Pfizer up over 10% due to an antiviral pill treatment that seems extremely effective at reducing bad outcomes from COVID-19. Good news for Pfizer will be bad news for CYDY….

It is possible this is the ‘game changer’ that science/medicine has been looking for!

On a more long term note, some smart people have noted that the new mRNA vaccines performed better than the old style J and J vaccine. Going forward, this technology may be used for developing other vaccines.
    TumblingBones
    TumblingBones
    November 5th, 2021 at 8:39:46 AM permalink
    I know you guys are all hot and excited about TSLA and some of the pharma stocks but my big bets are on NVDA. I tripled my position ~ 4 weeks back when it was 219. As I write this it's at 312.33. That's a 43% jump!
    terapined
    terapined
    • Threads: 89
    November 5th, 2021 at 8:47:06 AM permalink
    NVDA
    Last summer after I sold my house, looking to invest in stocks
    Was watching Cranmer and he touted NVDA
    I bought NVDA
    Its one of my top performers
    Over 150% up
    I was checking yesterday, it was up 10% yesterday
    I just checked now. 5% up
    Those are massive one day up movements for a stock
    So thrilled to be making more then I am spending in retirement
    Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
    TumblingBones
    TumblingBones
    November 5th, 2021 at 8:53:38 AM permalink
    Big jump this week seems to be due to Wells Fargo analysts figuring out something I concluded 4 weeks back: that NVDA has the best approach to building a metaverse which is the hot buzzword these days.
    SOOPOO
    SOOPOO
    November 5th, 2021 at 8:55:17 AM permalink

I know you guys are all hot and excited about TSLA and some of the pharma stocks but my big bets are on NVDA. I tripled my position ~ 4 weeks back when it was 219. As I write this it's at 312.33. That's a 43% jump!
    link to original post

I really don’t have any ‘big bets’ per se, other than the market as a whole. Only a few stocks are even over 1% of total portfolio value.
    43% in 4 weeks is amazing. Do you sell any on the way up? Or waiting for a specific number? Or hold for your heirs?
    DRich
    DRich
    November 5th, 2021 at 9:21:15 AM permalink

Big jump this week seems to be due to Wells Fargo analysts figuring out something I concluded 4 weeks back: that NVDA has the best approach to building a metaverse which is the hot buzzword these days.
    link to original post

They definitely make the best performance chips today.
    TumblingBones
    TumblingBones
    November 5th, 2021 at 9:22:10 AM permalink
    For me NVIDIA is a long-term hold. I 1st bought a chunk ~ 9 years back because I was impressed by their GPU/CUDA technology. Recently I've been looking into their OMNIVERSE architecture. What it is too technical to explain here in anyway that does justice to it but the overly simplified version is it's a combo of NVIDIA s/w and h/w combined with 3rd party open-source s/w that lets distributed teams build immersive and highly realistic virtual environments.
    Why i was impressed:
    • it leverages their experience with AI and gaming
    • market focus isn't consumers (like Zuckerberg) but digital twins for manufacturing and infrastructure. Already have customers/partners like BMW and Siemens
    • they are taking a very open approach
    • impressive list of s/w developers already on-board and integrating

I expect the stock to have some ups & downs, especially if the ARM acquisition is nixed, but I definitely see it as a long-term hold.
    • Jump to: