reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
July 27th, 2012 at 4:56:21 PM permalink
As Massachusetts Governor, in 2004 Romney signed a ban on assault weapons (including AK-47s, UZIs and Mac-10 rifles). Unlike previous bans which periodically expire, Romney's ban is permanent. Consider the irony: on gun control, Obama is all talk, no action while Romney is all action, no talk.

Should gun enthusiasts forgive Romney? Should they ignore this ban? Can Romney be trusted? And should liberals who care about gun control forgive Obama for doing nothing?
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
  • Threads: 50
July 27th, 2012 at 4:58:43 PM permalink
NRA keeps sending me junk to not vote for Obama. He has my vote for his support of gay marriage.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
July 27th, 2012 at 5:12:03 PM permalink
I'm not sure who I am voting for, yet.

I don't really care one way or another about guns, as long as they don't mess with the right to own a handgun.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
July 27th, 2012 at 5:23:55 PM permalink
You have to read the full article. While he signed that, it did not (or so it seems) actually ban anything that wasn't banned as is. His actions also included:

Quote:

Extending the term of a firearm identification card and a license to carry firearms from four years to six years;
Granting a 90-day grace period for holders of firearm identification cards and licenses to carry who have applied for renewal; and
Creating a seven-member Firearm License Review Board to review firearm license applications that have been denied.
07-01-2004, Romney signs bill into law that lessens gun control measures.
07-26- 2006, Governor Romney Approves Exemption for Target Pistols

Federal "Assault Weapons Ban" had almost nothing to do with assault weapons.
Maintaining a ban on automatic weapons is not the same. Even if you support civilians' right to have them (particularly without the red tape of acquiring a license), it's pretty much dead, and has very little chance of actually remaining. It could have been a necessary compromise.

Can Romney be trusted? Certainly not entirely. But Obama has been a disaster, he has proven untrustworthy. We can't get Ron Paul, but a Republican candidate is still the lesser of two evils.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
July 29th, 2012 at 7:04:07 AM permalink
Quote: reno

Should gun enthusiasts forgive Romney? Should they ignore this ban? Can Romney be trusted? And should liberals who care about gun control forgive Obama for doing nothing?

Liberals will vote for Obama no matter what. The only time people serious about their ideology switch is when a viable and tolerable third-party candidate comes along and their grievance is so big it matters to make a statement. Last time we saw this was Perot in 1992. Bush41 backed off "no new taxes" without a fight. 19% of the vote went for Perot, with most of that having Bush as a second choice. It clearly worked because since then the GOP has almost to every member refused tax-increase schemes.

BTW: Obama's push for the UN Small Arms Treaty is hardly "nothing." We pulled back when the Senate told him "nogo" but you can be assured he still is anti-gun.

If we had a POTUS candidate who took the "g" out of "anti-gun" then there is someone to vote for!
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
July 29th, 2012 at 7:46:24 AM permalink
I will vote for Romney and I am I HUGE gun enthusiast....The "ban" he signed was banning class III weapons(fully automatic weapons) in his state....And while I think there should be no ban on class III weapons. I already live in a state(Washington) That has a ban on class III weapons so it's really not a big voting issue for me....

Oh and for people who really don't know/understand gun laws...The "assault weapons ban" has nothing to do with banning "assault weapons" you could by the exact same rifles when the assault weapon ban was in affect as you can now...the only difference?....NEW rifles and handguns under the "assault weapons ban" were limited to a 10 round magazines.... Fully Automatic weapons(which is truly what an "assault weapon" is) have been HEAVILY regulated since the firearms act of 1934...Since 1934 if you wanted to buy a fully automatic weapon you needed to go though a VERY extensive background check with the FBI(now the ATF does it) that includes finger printing and a $200 tax stamp, and the check takes weeks to complete....And NEW production and sales of fully automatic weapons(to civilians) have been ban since the National Firearms Act of 1986....SO like I said the "assault weapons ban" was just limiting the size of the magazine on NEW gun sales(of course used guns were not limited). But if the gun control supporters called it the "limit firearms to 10 round magazines act" it never would have passed...so they thought of a scary name to fool/scare the sheep...and called it "The Assault Weapons Ban"<rolling eyes>...Now, if you live in CA, MA, NY even after the assault weapons ban ended(sunset) in those states you still can't buy a gun with larger than a 10 round mag, unless you buy it used(called "pre ban") But if you go buy a brand NEW gun its gonna come with a 10 round mag in those states...
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
July 29th, 2012 at 7:51:23 AM permalink
Gun owners shouldn't care about a ban on assault weapons. Gun owners really shouldn't worry about anything. Regular guns will not be banned by either person.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
July 29th, 2012 at 8:27:06 AM permalink
Quote: NicksGamingStuff

NRA keeps sending me junk to not vote for Obama. He has my vote for his support of gay marriage.

But Romney said that he is to the left of Ted Kennedy on gay issues.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
July 30th, 2012 at 8:13:08 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Liberals will vote for Obama no matter what.

Then I guess I'm not a liberal because I didn't vote for Obama in 2008, and I will definitely not be voting for him in 2012.

Quote: AZDuffman

BTW: Obama's push for the UN Small Arms Treaty is hardly "nothing."

I was unaware that Obama endorsed the UN Small Arms Treaty. Do you have any evidence to back this statement up?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
July 30th, 2012 at 10:01:27 PM permalink
Quote: reno

Then I guess I'm not a liberal because I didn't vote for Obama in 2008, and I will definitely not be voting for him in 2012.

I was unaware that Obama endorsed the UN Small Arms Treaty. Do you have any evidence to back this statement up?

The fact that he sent the State Dept to negotiate it is one thing. Here is link about it.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
  • Jump to: