Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 25th, 2012 at 3:23:08 PM permalink
Soda is one of those odd things that tastes best the colder it is. However, getting it cold enough is hard when it comes off a palstic bottle. There are reasons for this, having to do with thermal inertia of materials. So, glass bottles having joined the dodo and the passenger pigeon and fiscal responsibility, here's my solution:

Take a glass of any size and add some ice, preferably cubed rather than crushed (crushed ice melts more quickly). Put it in the freezer for 10-20 minutes. Take it out from the freezer and place it on a paper towel or a rag on the counter. Take the plastic soda bottle out fo the fridge and pour it slowly in the glass. It will make more foam than usual. let ti settle and keep pouring as needed untilt he glass is full.

Put a straw on it, if you care to, and serve. Sip slowly, unless you like brain-freezes (aka ice/ice cream headaches). Remember to use a coaster.

This will work with a plastic cup, too, but not as well. Glass stays colder longer, and it gets more cold than plastic.

A very thin layer of soda will freeze along the sides of the glass. It freezes so fast it tends to retain gas bubbles (I've tested it). But it should melt back into the soda in a few minutes.

The only thing better than this is a double-walled plastic cup/mug with water in the interstice. But these tend to crack after a few uses and then the water leaks all over.

Enjoy.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
July 25th, 2012 at 3:55:34 PM permalink
so, the secret to get soda really cold is ice?
wow you learn something new every day...
:)
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
Nareed
Nareed
July 25th, 2012 at 3:58:52 PM permalink
Quote: WongBo

so, the secret to get soda really cold is ice?

No. Ice isn't enough. You freeze the glass. It was very clearly indicated in the instructions: put the glass in the freezer for 10-20 minutes.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
July 25th, 2012 at 4:01:17 PM permalink
Actually I never found a problem making beverages cold enough. The trick is about not freezing them. Also, you still get plenty of glass soda bottles in SEA.

Juts put the plastic bottle right off the +2C fridge into a -18C freezer for an hour or a -24C freezer for 30 minutes. YMMV (SF speeds things up, dual-compressors ae better still), but if you do freeze it - soda isn't beer, no loss when it thaws back.

Alternately, keeping a set of thick-walled glasses in a freezer, especially -24C, works well for practical purposes.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
megapixels
megapixels
  • Threads: 8
July 25th, 2012 at 4:12:47 PM permalink
You could try mixing salt and ice together, and cooling the glass and/or soda bottle in that mixture. Not sure if that's going to be colder than your freezer, but adding salt to water lowers its freezing point.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
July 25th, 2012 at 4:52:51 PM permalink
Quote: megapixels

You could try mixing salt and ice together, and cooling the glass and/or soda bottle in that mixture. Not sure if that's going to be colder than your freezer, but adding salt to water lowers its freezing point.

Shattering glass could be a hazard.

Supercold fluids behave strangely. Check out this Youtube video of a bottle of Corona that appears to be fluid at room temperature, but turns solid when the bottle is tapped on a countertop: Youtube Beer Freeze.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
July 25th, 2012 at 5:21:16 PM permalink
I love canned soda that has been chilled in a tub of ice for a long time. The first sip is Brain Freeze City. But I've been known to grab a warm soda from the garage and enjoy that as well. I guess that's due to having a mom from Europe!
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
mustangsally
mustangsally
  • Threads: 25
July 25th, 2012 at 6:20:30 PM permalink
I think this was on MythBusters according to my cousin.

Adding salt to water and ice.

My 11 y/o cousin, he does this all the time with plastic bottles and regular cans.
I do not know how true it is, but he always gets me cold drinks in just a few minutes from the drinks in the garage on a shelf :)
I Heart Vi Hart
Nareed
Nareed
July 25th, 2012 at 6:22:03 PM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

But I've been known to grab a warm soda from the garage and enjoy that as well. I guess that's due to having a mom from Europe!

Well, Europeans know that no amount of cooling will improve beer ;)
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
July 25th, 2012 at 7:58:40 PM permalink
Thats true, especially in England/Ireland. "Frosted Mugs" on this side of the pond are the staple of any bar worth its salt.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
July 25th, 2012 at 9:21:33 PM permalink
The salt thing to water and ice is true... We made ice cream in chemistry class by putting the ingredients of ice cream into a small coffee can. We then loaded that small can into a larger coffee can and surrounded the smaller can with ice, some water, and salt. I haven't idea why it works but It does. Makes me wonder why salt is thrown on snow in the winter
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
July 25th, 2012 at 9:30:59 PM permalink
Along with the Cinnamon Challenge, kids are giving themselves frostbite with the Salt and Ice Challenge and filming it for YouTube.

Some teens are really stupid, in a scientific way.
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
July 25th, 2012 at 9:45:24 PM permalink
Salt and water has a lower freezing point than water alone. Salt on ice melts the ice, and if the ambient temperature is higher than that of the salt water, it stays liquid, and therefore, not so slippy.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
July 25th, 2012 at 9:51:36 PM permalink
Quote: FarFromVegas

... Salt and Ice Challenge... really stupid...

=(

;)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 26th, 2012 at 12:33:14 AM permalink
Quote: Beardgoat

I haven't idea why it works but It does.

you melted the ice without using heat; in a closed system, heat is taken from the immediate environment. So the temperature really drops, freezing your ice cream.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
  • Jump to: