reno
reno
  • Threads: 122
July 11th, 2012 at 6:20:20 AM permalink
I read on the internet (and the internet is filled with misinformation) that bars & saloons & taverns in Texas were prohibited from serving hard liquor until 1971. (Beer and wine were ok.) Does anyone know if this is true? I just can't fathom that it was illegal to drink whiskey in Texas bars for most of the 20th century.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
July 11th, 2012 at 7:04:47 AM permalink
It's still illegal in many dry counties to this day. Frequently there are package stores at the county line which do a booming business, just like convenience stores selling lottery tickets on the NV border. Dry counties in Texas can get around the law and sell liquor in restaurants by making them for "members only" and sell memberships for a nominal fee, like $3 (when I lived in Austin, which was not dry, but adjacent counties were).
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 14
July 11th, 2012 at 7:40:52 AM permalink
Yeah, there are dry county laws all over the South, that would make a Northerner like me cringe. One of my favorite weird liquor laws stems from Wisconsin. I haven't lived there for like 8 years but until someone was 18, if they were at a place with their father their father could order 2 drinks and give one to his kid and that was okay, but that went away when he turned 18 until he turns 21, and that same kid eating with his father can't order a beer on his own, it has to be ordered by and served to his father but then he could give it to his kid.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 162
July 11th, 2012 at 7:48:18 AM permalink
There are dry counties in other parts of the country too.

One of the most famous is Lynchburg Tennessee, where Jack Daniels is made. The taste tester needs a special permit just to do his job.
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 11th, 2012 at 9:07:15 AM permalink
I was stationed in San Antonio from 1962-1966. In several outlying counties were strange rules. In one you could bring your own bottle in and the place would make you buy a glass with ice. And the bottle could never be allowed to stand up on or under the table, had to lay on it's side. In another you could only get into a bar if accompanied by your Dad. was no problem finding a dad outside the bar. LOL
Standard practice for most servicemen was to order a national brand pitcher of beer for $5, then after finishing that off, order Lone Star
at $2 a pitcher from then on.
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
July 11th, 2012 at 9:50:52 AM permalink
Until recently, in Washington state you could only buy liquor form a state-run liquor store. We finally voted that out and now you can get it at Target, Safeway, Costco, etc.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
July 11th, 2012 at 10:00:12 AM permalink
Quote: slyther

Until recently, in Washington state you could only buy liquor form a state-run liquor store. We finally voted that out and now you can get it at Target, Safeway, Costco, etc.

Virginia liquor is still in a state-run store, but now they are open on Sundays, which is pretty progressive for us. You can buy wine and beer at a grocery store here, but in New York you have to go to the liquor store to buy wine. In Arizona, you can get everything pretty much anywhere. Hatteras Island in North Carolina is finally allowing liquor by the drink as of last year--it used to be banned, but at least there was an ABC store at the southern end of the island for liquor by the bottle. I remember not being allowed to get beer in a restaurant on a Sunday in South Carolina, but that was 20 years ago, so it may have changed. There's such a patchwork of laws everywhere we travel!
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 11th, 2012 at 10:00:28 AM permalink
There was that whole prohibition thing in the 20s... For that matter the whole "drug" prohibition now.
You can visit my blog Kathy's Cooking Corner at kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx ... .... When someone offers you friendship with one hand and stabs you in the back with the other, you tend to notice the knife a little bit more.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
July 11th, 2012 at 11:13:10 AM permalink
Quote: slyther

Ohio is also a state-run liquor store, though you can get watered down product anywhere...
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
1arrowheaddr
1arrowheaddr
  • Threads: 14
July 11th, 2012 at 11:29:29 AM permalink
About half the counties in Kansas are still dry. Grocery stores and Wal-Mart etc. are only allowed to sell 3.2 beer and wine. Only liquor stores can sell full beer and spirits and no one can own more than one store or two per married couple. Sunday liquor sales were not allowed until 2002, each county has to approve Sunday sales and 15% have. This law was changed because one year New Year's Eve was on a Sunday and sales/revenue were way down. Starting on July 1 this year happy hour is legal again. Previously, prices for all alcoholic drinks at bars had to be the same all day. Additionally, prices must be consistent for the quantity sold. So if a 16oz draw of Bud Light is $3 a 32oz. draw must be $6. Volume discounts are not allowed.

• Jump to: