kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
October 11th, 2013 at 10:57:13 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

because the USA is the only western country with medical bankruptcy.

Boymimbo you quote the usual left wing mumbo jumbo that has no basis in fact. I life in Canada and have grown up with Medicare although I am old enough to remember when it came in.

Many people in Canada end up declaring bankruptcy because of medical costs. We don't pay for doctors but we pay for almost everything else to some extent. We pay for our own drugs up to a maximum amount. This amount floats with your taxable income 'from the year before'. If you have just lost a good job or retired, the first year can be a bitch if you need a lot of drugs. Not all drugs are on the list, HID/Aids drugs were not on the list for years and paying for them bankrupt hundreds of people.

We pay users fees for most medically rated items including many hospital visits, renting crutches etc. My grandsons cast to correct his club foot ($2800) was not covered.

To be clear I am glad I live in Canada and have medical coverage but don't pretend it something it is not. The last several years my wife has needed a lot of medical care. The medical expenses for these years have been $4K to $6K per year. They are tax deductible, which for me means I get 20% back after reaching a minimum self-pay deductible that floats with income. I am still $13K out of pocket over this time
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
October 11th, 2013 at 5:57:55 PM permalink
120,000 Canadians declared bankruptcy in 2009. 13,500 were due to medical reasons or about 11%. The percentage is 63% in the USA, or about 900,000, in 2009.

You don't pay for surgeries, doctors, hospitals, etc.
You pay for prescriptions up to extent determined by where you live and your income level.
You pay for medical supplies unless you have supplementary insurance (extended health coverage).
Likely, if you look around, you might be able get relief from your medical supplies that you are paying.

How much out of pocket would you be in the USA?
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
kenarman
kenarman
October 11th, 2013 at 6:45:17 PM permalink

120,000 Canadians declared bankruptcy in 2009. 13,500 were due to medical reasons or about 11%. The percentage is 63% in the USA, or about 900,000, in 2009.

You don't pay for surgeries, doctors, hospitals, etc.
You pay for prescriptions up to extent determined by where you live and your income level.
You pay for medical supplies unless you have supplementary insurance (extended health coverage).
Likely, if you look around, you might be able get relief from your medical supplies that you are paying.

How much out of pocket would you be in the USA?

Back to my original point. Instead of having a reasonable discussion which we are having now you claimed that there were no medical bankruptcies anywhere in the world but the US. This is the why it is so hard to have realistic discussion when it starts with such blatant lies which you now readily admit.

A big piece of the medical costs for all of us in smaller communities is travel costs and the hotel costs when we get there. I can handle my medical costs but it is about 10% of my income. The ones I feel sorry for are the families of the kids that need to spend weeks and sometimes months in a major center. One if not both parents need to be there so the have to keep 2 homes going and sometimes even give up their jobs. This is not automatically covered by government and the family is often helped out by fund raising in their home community.

The unfair thing and it is appears to be true in the US as well is that you are punished if you are a working stiff since then you have to pay significant amounts out of pocket.
If you are on welfare with no income then you get a free ride, drugs, doctors, transportation, orthopedics, out of town expenses.

Yes BM I feel I am better off in Canada but it is not as rosy as most paint it and comes at a tremendous cost to the government. 78% of the Provincial budget in BC is spent on healthcare and education. The remaining 22% pay for everything else the Province does. The biggest winers in the Province are the teachers union and nurses union telling how little they get.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
October 11th, 2013 at 7:30:49 PM permalink

The biggest factor, however, is your driving record which indicates your risk.

Not necessarily. A driver with a clean record, which many have, faces blatant risk determination based on factors like age, sex, residence, nature of the vehicle, distances and frequency driven, economic status and so on.

If you decided to put health insurance in a pool, obviously the elderly would be unable to pay.

Is that a figurative or a literal pool?
boymimbo
boymimbo
October 11th, 2013 at 7:42:48 PM permalink
So you're getting on me for exaggeration, when there is no one else in this forum who do so. Give me a break, but thank you for joining the discussion 290+ posts in.

To be clear, the BC government is running a surplus in its budget. Its Debt to GDP ratio is 18%. Families pay $1,596 in MSP premium (medical services plan) per year, individuals half that amount. They also have capped spending in other areas. If you are working for a company, you are normally covered by an extended health care insurance policy fully paid by your employer that covers a range of services that the core services do not provide. You can also purchase this insurance yourself and it runs at about $200 - $300/month for myself anyway.

The BC government collected 42.2 billion in revenue in fiscal 2012/3. The Ministry of Health's actual numbers was 18.4 billion in that year (4.2 billion transferred from the Federal government) so a net cost of 14.2 billion. That works out to a cost of about $3,690 per individual, less than 1/2 of the per capita ($8,680/pp) health care expenditure for each American. Infant mortality is 3.6/1000 (USA 5.9). Cancer mortality rate is 144/100,000 (US rate 186), Diseases of the heart mortality rate of 91.9/100,000, all of these the lowest in the nation, probably due not to the spending (2nd lowest per capita) but probably due to its Asian influences.

US residents have the same issues with travel and hotel costs, and their costs are more than double, whether they are covered via employment or not.
timberjim
timberjim
  • Threads: 33
October 12th, 2013 at 1:51:44 AM permalink
Quote: kenarman

Back to my original point. Instead of having a reasonable discussion which we are having now you claimed that there were no medical bankruptcies anywhere in the world but the US. This is the why it is so hard to have realistic discussion when it starts with such blatant lies which you now readily admit.

+100

Change the subject. Ignore facts and questions. Distort.

This is why it is a complete waste of time to try and have a discussion with him.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
October 12th, 2013 at 2:03:55 AM permalink
I agree.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
October 12th, 2013 at 6:17:03 AM permalink
Instead of just "insuring" people looks like the obamacare act allows home inspections if they like.

And people think I exaggerate when I say 47% of America willingly gives up freedom for "free health care."
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
boymimbo
boymimbo
October 12th, 2013 at 8:43:49 AM permalink
Yeah, I'm the problem.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 12th, 2013 at 9:23:24 AM permalink

Yeah, I'm the problem.

LMAO...post of the thread. The Canadian's the problem with the American health care system. (cue South Park music). Blame Canada! Oh, yeah!
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
October 12th, 2013 at 9:33:07 AM permalink
That's like blaming acesofspades for our divorce, babs darling. Wait a minute, maybe it is Canada's fault.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
boymimbo
boymimbo
October 12th, 2013 at 9:36:51 AM permalink
Naw. The American health care is perfect. You get the best care there. All of the statistical indicators that state otherwise were generated by left-wing conspirating government-trained democrats who voted for Obama, because apparently, if you were educated in an institution, and get a degree, well golly you're a Liberal who shouldn't be trusted. Statistics be damned, especially if there (sic) published by the lame-stream media. I can see with my own two eyes, and that's all I need to know the truth. That and an AM radio with the presets on anything but NPR.

Americans are the healthiest people of the planet, and you definitely get what you pay for. And even if you don't have insurance, you can find your way to free health care.

And if you can't afford your payments and happen to get sick and die an early death, well then there's just one less of the 47% that AZ talks about: the lazy, thoughless, welfare-collecting, meth-lab creating, stupid, bankruptcy-deservin', gun-hating, tree-huggin', climate-change believin', god-hating, lying, Obama votin', capital L Liberals, ain't cha? Because there is no other kind, right?

Don't bother arguin' with me, now, y'all. I've got my shovel and my manure delivery is on its way.
timberjim
timberjim
  • Threads: 33
October 12th, 2013 at 9:55:54 AM permalink
And when all else fails - start calling names.
boymimbo
boymimbo
October 12th, 2013 at 10:15:17 AM permalink
I didn't call any particular person a name. ;) That would require me to me banned, and dog-gun-it, I've already served three days before. I'm just talkin' on a different, more fact-ual method. I've got a degree in science from a prestigious university, and that automatically qualifies into the aforementioned group of 47% that everyone keeps talkin' about.

Cleanin' out the garage now, gotta throw that old' anti-Romney sign into the compost and clean off the solar panels. Then I gotta go cash my wife's welfare check and get my free prescriptions for all the psychotropics, sorry, I mean, crazy pills, that I keep overdosing on -- I can read them damned instructions.
kenarman
kenarman
October 13th, 2013 at 12:46:00 PM permalink

I didn't call any particular person a name. ;) That would require me to me banned, and dog-gun-it, I've already served three days before. I'm just talkin' on a different, more fact-ual method. I've got a degree in science from a prestigious university, and that automatically qualifies into the aforementioned group of 47% that everyone keeps talkin' about.

Cleanin' out the garage now, gotta throw that old' anti-Romney sign into the compost and clean off the solar panels. Then I gotta go cash my wife's welfare check and get my free prescriptions for all the psychotropics, sorry, I mean, crazy pills, that I keep overdosing on -- I can read them damned instructions.

Fight it BM fight it I am sure you can beat it. I also have a science degree from a prestigious university but through perseverence and hard work I was able to climb out of the 47%. I can PM you the address of my support group if you need help.
boymimbo
boymimbo
October 13th, 2013 at 1:46:15 PM permalink
I'll see your PM and raise you a therapist, 2 psychologists, and some LSD.
kenarman
kenarman
October 13th, 2013 at 2:05:09 PM permalink
I will have to pass on the LSD reached my quota while I was getting my degree, home study for chemistry.
Buzzard
Buzzard
October 13th, 2013 at 5:41:16 PM permalink
Congress passed the McCarran-Ferguson Act in 1945 that has since protected insurance firms from federal prosecution for price fixing, bid rigging and carving out protected markets.

Seems like the insurance firms copied organized crime's success plan.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
October 14th, 2013 at 7:44:06 AM permalink
I rented The Purge OnDemand last night because my wife wanted to see it. $3.99 I'll never get back. I would say it would make my list of Top 10 Movies with incredible potential that absolutely sucked. There were two scenes in particular, in which the suspension of disbelief demanded was so great, that they just took you right out of the film. A few little tweaks to the plot here and there, and the movie could have been an easy 8/10, maybe better. As it stands, I'd give it a 2.5/10...decent graphics, Ethan Hawke wasn't bad.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
October 22nd, 2013 at 9:25:18 AM permalink
The Obamacare website must be racist since it's making Obama look so bad.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
October 22nd, 2013 at 9:57:13 AM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

The Obamacare website must be racist since it's making Obama look so bad.

Nobama makes hisownself look so bad HE must be a racist...;-)
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 22nd, 2013 at 11:56:48 AM permalink
Hannity had a woman on the radio at the Obamacare
call in center and she says nothing works and when
people do get thru, nobody likes what they find out.
Pretty funny.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
October 22nd, 2013 at 4:51:20 PM permalink
Florida Blue cancels 300,000 policies

Didn't Florida vote for Obama? lol...
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
October 22nd, 2013 at 4:52:50 PM permalink

Every time an Obama supporter loses their health insurance due to Obamacare I smile.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
October 22nd, 2013 at 4:57:42 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Every time an Obama supporter loses their health insurance due to Obamacare I smile.

I really hate to admit it.....but I do too! ;)
Alan
Alan
October 22nd, 2013 at 5:47:16 PM permalink
With all the anti-Obama I see in a lot of reader comments(yahoo news, etc.) I'm under the impression that anyone pro-Obama must not be web connected, which wouldn't surprise me.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
October 22nd, 2013 at 5:53:16 PM permalink
Obamacare is based on Romneycare in Mass. Just like Romneycare had many problems, Obamacare is no different. Its not totally negative. There are many positives such as those with pre existing conditions are able to get coverage. That's a huge positive. Just as Mass. survived, so will the USA.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
October 22nd, 2013 at 5:53:16 PM permalink
Obamacare is based on Romneycare in Mass. Just like Romneycare had many problems, Obamacare is no different. Its not totally negative. There are many positives such as those with pre existing conditions are able to get coverage. That's a huge positive. Just as Mass. survived, so will the USA.
This is the greatest country on the planet even with our problems. GO USA
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
rob45
rob45
  • Threads: 2
October 22nd, 2013 at 5:53:44 PM permalink
Quote: Alan

With all the anti-Obama I see in a lot of reader comments(yahoo news, etc.) I'm under the impression that anyone pro-Obama must not be web connected, which wouldn't surprise me.

They're likely web-connected; they're just stuck on that healthcare website, still waiting.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
October 22nd, 2013 at 5:56:45 PM permalink
Quote: rob45

They're likely web-connected; they're just stuck on that healthcare website, still waiting.

LOL
Alan
Alan
October 22nd, 2013 at 5:58:40 PM permalink
Quote: rob45

I'll second the LOL. And the programmers only have to write 5 'effing million lines of code to get it right.
chickenman
chickenman
  • Threads: 3
October 23rd, 2013 at 4:19:08 AM permalink
And, Brook's Law is about to hit...
Mission146
Mission146
November 1st, 2013 at 7:43:53 AM permalink
1.) Dog fighting:

-As in, Mission146 v. Large Boxer. Boxers are generally nice, but this one didn't seem so. I'm doing the whole Trick or Treating thing with my son, and we're going down this back alley to shortcut to houses we'd not yet hit and this boxer comes running up a yard barking his head off. I figured it wasn't a big deal, electronic collar, something like that, until I notice he runs right into the alley and is making a beeline straight for my son. I ended up stepping in front of my son and rearing back my right leg, so the dog would understand that I had no qualms about kicking it in the face, if necessary. The dog stopped, but it took a few seconds to turn back around, spending that time growling and barking (not in a playful way) to see if I would show any fear. Growing irritated with the game, I started walking aggressively toward the dog figuring I'd just kick the stupid thing in the teeth and get it over with, but he turned around and went back wherever he came from, stopping halfway to turn around and bark at me one last time.

Who leaves a crazy dog unattended on Halloween night!?

2.) VideoPoker.com

-Friggin' 100-Play daily contest today. I hate this crap, it takes forever! That's why I didn't do the monthly contest last month, all 100-play. I have to play today, though, or I'd be shooting myself in the foot on Winner's Challenge. The Texas Hold 'Em Poker Room on there is awesome, too, if anyone wants to look at that. The link is halfway down the homepage on the right, I discovered it when I decided not to play in the monthly challenge. Most of the tournaments are scheduled for times that I do not have the ability to play them, but it's still fun.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Buzzard
Buzzard
November 1st, 2013 at 8:56:58 AM permalink
I used to have a neighbor who would let his big dog out each morning to go shit anywhere he wanted to. And the dogwould also knock over my garbage can before heading home.

Being a dog lover, I knew the dog must be hungry if he was into my garbage. So I started putting some fresh hamburger meat balls in them. But after a few days , the neighbor no longer let the dog run loose each morning.

Wonder if it had anything to do with the exlax inside each meatball ?
Mission146
Mission146
November 1st, 2013 at 9:51:32 AM permalink
Awesome!

Okay, more Videopoker.com complaining. In addition to the fact that 100-play takes forever, it likes to freeze computers, which is also part of the reason it takes forever. Anyway, I had a successful 50,000+ first session, get the second session done 55,400, and it fails to submit!!! The thing completely froze, and didn't re-submit no matter what I did. It also counted the play against me, so instead of 2/2 winners I was 1/2. I just lost another one, nowhere close to EV 39,xxx credits. I never got any dealt trips that session.
boymimbo
boymimbo
November 1st, 2013 at 9:54:23 AM permalink
I spent a couple of months trying to play out the winner's challenges but the amount of time it took to play was eating into everything else that I have to do.
Mission146
Mission146
November 1st, 2013 at 9:55:36 AM permalink
I can play pretty fast when it's not this 100-Play BS!
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
November 1st, 2013 at 12:31:47 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Awesome!

Okay, more Videopoker.com complaining. In addition to the fact that 100-play takes forever, it likes to freeze computers, which is also part of the reason it takes forever. Anyway, I had a successful 50,000+ first session, get the second session done 55,400, and it fails to submit!!! The thing completely froze, and didn't re-submit no matter what I did. It also counted the play against me, so instead of 2/2 winners I was 1/2. I just lost another one, nowhere close to EV 39,xxx credits. I never got any dealt trips that session.

Just got a score of 58,300.
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
Mission146
Mission146
November 1st, 2013 at 1:15:33 PM permalink
Nice!

I've played 5/8 and won one. I'm going to try to squeeze in the other ones today, but I'll certainly not use my bonus play (or plays) on this game!!!
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
November 1st, 2013 at 3:13:49 PM permalink
Just got 77,605. Being dealt quads helps.
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
Mission146
Mission146
November 1st, 2013 at 3:18:49 PM permalink
Quads? What are those? You mean they put four of each value in the deck? With my results, I assumed it was three...lol
Mission146
Mission146
November 1st, 2013 at 4:06:22 PM permalink

The last one is sad because I was so far behind with five hands left I threw away a pair of Queens in favor of Three-to-a-Royal AKQ, hit a Royal on one of the hands, and still fell nearly 3500 credits short, on a successful Hail Mary!!!

The middle one was strange because I was up to 47,600 with ten hands to go, and just barely limped into a 50,000+ finish!
Perdition
Perdition
  • Threads: 36
November 1st, 2013 at 4:19:43 PM permalink
Noticed you were talking about the new tourney. I put stuff for the one that ended, my bad. Good luck on winning it.
Mission146
Mission146
November 2nd, 2013 at 7:28:45 PM permalink
Quick Quads today!

This is about as silly as a game premise can get. Okay, it starts out as some kind of BS 4OaK Triple Supreme Ultimate Awesome Tremendous Magnificent You're Guaranteed to F****** Lose Bonus Poker, but here's the kicker, if you have trips and the two values of your other two cards add up to the value of the card for which you have trips, then that counts as a 4OaK.

The strategy changes are fairly intuitive, I'm sure I made a few mistakes, but certainly nothing fundamental.

Here are my results (1800 needed for winning session):

1755 (Bonus Game)

The interesting this is that my butt was saved in the only session that I won because I drew three Aces to a single Ace held for the 800 credits, also in that game, I had a Quick Quad Fours which would have otherwise been a Deuces inside of Fours Full House.

However, this interesting thing was contrasted by my last game in which I had 1,410 credits with 30 hands to go, so I only needed to average 13 credits per hand. Didn't happen, in fact, four of my last five hands were hold nothing hands.

Also, in 900 hands, with a probability .0211 of being dealt 3OaK, I should see almost exactly 19 if I'm not mistaken. I saw seven hands in which I was dealt 3Oak, and only one resulted in Quads...which was also a losing game.

In summary, Quick Quads absolutely sucks, thank you.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
November 2nd, 2013 at 8:18:16 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Mission146
Mission146
November 2nd, 2013 at 9:44:26 PM permalink
Thanks for the tip, but that's a bit rich for my blood!
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
November 2nd, 2013 at 10:16:06 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Mission146
Mission146
November 3rd, 2013 at 12:02:42 AM permalink
What's that? You said, "Quarters?" Max bet is $1.50? Cool!

As a negative expectation non-table game, I wouldn't be willing to venture more than $20 in any given session, I basically look at that the same way I do Video Keno, though the ER is clearly better on VP.
Mission146
Mission146
November 3rd, 2013 at 7:42:40 PM permalink
Wheel Poker, even sillier premise than Quick Quads! Here's how this works, any Quads you end up with, you get to spin a wheel for a credit bonus, that's all. Just another, "Quads are important and every other possible hand sucks," game.

Great sessions today, though!

1800 Needed

Result: 1620
Dealt Trips: 1
Quads: 1
Quads off dealt Trips: 0

Result: 1150
Dealt Trips: 2
Quads: 0

Result: 890

Result: 2035
Dealt Trips: 4
Quads: 2
Quads off Dealt Trips: 1

Result: 2250
Quads: 2
Quads off Dealt Trips: 2

Result: 970

Result: 4620
Dealt Trips: 6
Quads: 4
DEALT QUADS: 1 (3/4 total Quads)

Result: 1940
Quads off dealt trips: 0

In 800 hands, I should see roughly 17 dealt Trips and I saw 24, I also saw dealt Quads which shouldn't happen.

Four of eight sessions were winning, which is good. I have four bonus entries, but I am going to hopefully make a run at the most winning sessions in a month Winner's Challenge, so my strategy is to save these for a game (wish I HAD done this with the other three) with less Variance because playing skillfully will be more relevant.
Mission146
Mission146
November 4th, 2013 at 9:44:30 AM permalink
Ultimate Four of a Kind Bonus, Double Double Bonus today. This game basically sucks, it operates similar to Wheel Poker, except the player gets to pick from cards with two cards for a 4OaK in 2's-4's, three picks for 4OaK Aces, and one card for anything else as well as an extra pick for any Quads dealt.

The bonus game has a lower expected win than Wheel Poker, less Variance, and as a result, the overall return is worse.

Goal score is 1800:

Score: 1,640

Score: 1,960

Score: 1,075
Dealt Trips: 3

Score: 1,455

Score: 1,085

Score: 2,190

Score: 905

Score: 1,000
Dealt Trips: 0

Two wins, and overall, the results were horrible. It's tough to complain about not getting any looks, though, 16 dealt trips is only one shy of the expected. Further, I had a three total Four-to-a-Royals dealt in the last two games, but none of the three amounted to a win of any kind.

Six Bonus Games I'm holding now, again, saving them for a game with less Variance. These, "Anything that's not a 4OaK is worthless," games are getting pretty old. I'm looking forward to the days when Two Pair will be worth 2-For-1, like it's supposed to be, again.
  • Jump to: