DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
Mission146
November 25th, 2022 at 4:17:02 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Haha!!! Nothing like that.

I just see it as a binary choice of having a man or woman make incidental direct contact with me, so of the two, I would prefer it be a woman. I don't want to offend any, "Non-binary," folks, or whatever, so perhaps it is more appropriate to say I will either perceive the person as a man, or woman, and would prefer it be a woman.

I also tend to not have loyalty to a particular stylist, most of the time. I get my hair cut so infrequently that I usually don't remember their names, which ends up being awkward on its own, so then I have to go somewhere I've never been before.

Meh. I guess it's just something that I have to live with unless I want either a buzz cut (doing it myself) or likely a bad haircut (if my fiancee were to do it). There are worse fates and I only get a haircut twice a year, or so. I think I'll do some less extreme variant of the advice to just say something (while being polite) that will make the stylist not want to talk to me anymore.
link to original post

The barber shop i go to has four chairs. Usually two men and two women, My only criteria is whoever can get me in first. If I have to wait over 5 minutes I am pissed.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
November 25th, 2022 at 6:44:20 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Quote: gordonm888

When your hair stylist asks your occupation, tell her you're a rectal surgeon. Someone once did this to me, and it really chills the conversation. I did finally ask "Why did you choose that?" and his response was that his father was the first rectal surgeon in the state. And then there was nowhere for the dinner conversation to go.
link to original post

Sadly, I would have a lot of questions if someone told me their occupation was a rectal surgeon.
link to original post

It’s a great job. Things are always looking up.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
November 26th, 2022 at 7:22:09 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Haha!!! Nothing like that.

I just see it as a binary choice of having a man or woman make incidental direct contact with me, so of the two, I would prefer it be a woman. I don't want to offend any, "Non-binary," folks, or whatever, so perhaps it is more appropriate to say I will either perceive the person as a man, or woman, and would prefer it be a woman.

I also tend to not have loyalty to a particular stylist, most of the time. I get my hair cut so infrequently that I usually don't remember their names, which ends up being awkward on its own, so then I have to go somewhere I've never been before.

Meh. I guess it's just something that I have to live with unless I want either a buzz cut (doing it myself) or likely a bad haircut (if my fiancee were to do it). There are worse fates and I only get a haircut twice a year, or so. I think I'll do some less extreme variant of the advice to just say something (while being polite) that will make the stylist not want to talk to me anymore.
link to original post

First, with your sunny disposition and gift of gab, I am sure you could convey, very sweetly, your desires regarding the cut, trim, and session expectations.

Second, "twice a year"? Really? A pet peeve? Man, imagine that.

tuttigym
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
Thanked by
Mission146Mukke
November 28th, 2022 at 8:33:23 AM permalink
Emails informing me that I have successfully unsubscribed from future emails.

Thanks guys. Nailed it.
May the cards fall in your favor.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
November 28th, 2022 at 8:50:25 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

Thanks guys. Nailed it.
link to original post

I remember getting advice in the Stoneage of the Internet not to unsubscribe from spam. Which is kind of a conundrum. Fortunately spam filters kind of work. Not sure what else you can do effectively.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
Thanked by
Mission146
November 28th, 2022 at 9:11:34 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I remember getting advice in the Stoneage of the Internet not to unsubscribe from spam. Which is kind of a conundrum. Fortunately spam filters kind of work. Not sure what else you can do effectively.
link to original post

My belief/experience is that if it is a reputable company, unsubscribing will generally work the way you want it. If it's one of those "Nigerian prince" type emails, then yes "unsubscribing" is generally a bad idea. It lets them know there is someone there.

Re: haircuts & barbers, as a kid, my Dad would take me to a barber shop where the barber was male, and we would talk sports and other guy topics. These days, I have found that these type places are hard to find. I have settled for a place that does a decent job, and doesn't charge too much (I paid $18 + $4 tip for my last haircut -- although I now feel like a stiff compared to the way Mission tips!). All the stylists at the barber shop are female, but I really don't mind the chit-chat too much.

Out of curiosity Mission, if your stylist only would discuss topics that interested you, would that be ok, or would you still prefer silence? Feel free not to answer. I bet stylists' choice of topic while cutting hair is not something that would interest you!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
November 28th, 2022 at 9:17:24 AM permalink

Thanks guys. Nailed it.
link to original post

link to original post

These are solicited commercial emails that I am no longer interested in, not unsolicited spam.

Imagine, if you will, thoughtfully ordering an assortment of smelly candles for someone who appreciates that sort of thing, but being stuck on their newsletter list after providing an email address in exchange for a 28% discount plus free expedited order processing.
I can assure you that a weekly newsletter explaining all the new smells that their fire-jars emit holds no particular value to me.
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
Mission146odiousgambit
November 28th, 2022 at 9:35:02 AM permalink
My newest pet peeve is video ads showing up on web pages with no volume button.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
DRich
DRich
November 28th, 2022 at 10:19:01 AM permalink

link to original post

I have started keeping my volume muted unless there is something I want to listen too. I probably turn my volume on once a day to listen to something.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 28th, 2022 at 11:02:45 AM permalink
Christmas trees that aren't.

Bisbee is lighting the town Christmas tree tonite with a min-parade, music, and a Santa driveby. Emails sent over the last week invite everyone to attend.
Only it's not a tree or even a fake tree. It a 40-foot pole with lights wrapped around it and four guidewires holding it up.
I have yet to see it lit at night, but in daylight, it looks sad.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 28th, 2022 at 11:19:53 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

link to original post

My belief/experience is that if it is a reputable company, unsubscribing will generally work the way you want it. If it's one of those "Nigerian prince" type emails, then yes "unsubscribing" is generally a bad idea. It lets them know there is someone there.

Re: haircuts & barbers, as a kid, my Dad would take me to a barber shop where the barber was male, and we would talk sports and other guy topics. These days, I have found that these type places are hard to find. I have settled for a place that does a decent job, and doesn't charge too much (I paid $18 + $4 tip for my last haircut -- although I now feel like a stiff compared to the way Mission tips!). All the stylists at the barber shop are female, but I really don't mind the chit-chat too much.

Out of curiosity Mission, if your stylist only would discuss topics that interested you, would that be ok, or would you still prefer silence? Feel free not to answer. I bet stylists' choice of topic while cutting hair is not something that would interest you!
link to original post

Generally speaking, I'd rather discuss a general subject (that hopefully rises above the level of small talk) rather than have probing questions rapid fired at me. If they didn't ask personal questions, then I would even be fine with throwaway small talk; I'd take pretty much anything that is not asking me personal questions.

22.222% is not tipping like a stiff. I tend to tip really high to make up for people who don't, and also, there's really nothing else I'd care to do with the money anyway, for the most part.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
Thanked by
odiousgambit
November 28th, 2022 at 11:21:58 AM permalink

link to original post

Along similar lines, Google's top recommendations frequently being sites that are behind a paywall. It's gotten to the point where I have several committed to memory and know not to click.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
Mission146
December 8th, 2022 at 7:37:55 AM permalink
I got pissed off at a site last night that wouldn't let me buy something without also signing up as a member. Credit card and buying something from you is not enough? Yup, went elsewhere.

Maybe if it had specified, they offered discounts for memberships like some stores do, it would have made sense.
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
  • Threads: 5
December 8th, 2022 at 10:07:19 AM permalink

When your hair stylist asks your occupation, tell her you're a rectal surgeon. Someone once did this to me, and it really chills the conversation. I did finally ask "Why did you choose that?" and his response was that his father was the first rectal surgeon in the state. And then there was nowhere for the dinner conversation to go.
link to original post

Sadly, I would have a lot of questions if someone told me their occupation was a rectal surgeon.
link to original post

The first two lunge immediately to mind:
1. What's the biggest artificial object you've ever pulled out of someone?
2. Did you ever pull something out that was still alive?
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 8th, 2022 at 10:25:54 AM permalink
Quote: BillHasRetired

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

1. A large arrow. (I watched, didn’t actually pull it out. )

2. Do maggots count?
rxwine
rxwine
December 8th, 2022 at 10:30:18 AM permalink
Quote: BillHasRetired

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

Tapeworms.

Although my dad told a joke about getting a tapeworm out by starving and sitting in front of a bowl of milk with your mouth open.
DRich
DRich
December 10th, 2022 at 2:19:54 PM permalink
Pet peeve:

My wife never puts the cap back on the toothpaste. I even started buying the one with the flip-top thinking she would close it but she never does. It bothers me every single morning for 12 years and I have never said a word. I know if I bring it up she will have 50 different thing to complain about how I do them and I don't plan on changing.
Johnzimbo
Johnzimbo
  • Threads: 4
Thanked by
odiousgambit
December 10th, 2022 at 2:53:56 PM permalink
Mine always leaves the used pod in the Keurig. Don't think she ever takes it out until the next morning when she is ready to make her next cup.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
Thanked by
odiousgambit
December 10th, 2022 at 3:10:25 PM permalink

Pet peeve:

My wife never puts the cap back on the toothpaste. I even started buying the one with the flip-top thinking she would close it but she never does. It bothers me every single morning for 12 years and I have never said a word. I know if I bring it up she will have 50 different thing to complain about how I do them and I don't plan on changing.
link to original post

My wife does this as well, but I've learned over the years that it's better to ignore these small things for the good of the overall relationship. I'm not going to get divorced over how she loads the dishwasher. Plus, as you mentioned, husbands do things that aren't so great either. Perfect people should live by themselves.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
December 10th, 2022 at 3:15:20 PM permalink

Tapeworms.

Although my dad told a joke about getting a tapeworm out by starving and sitting in front of a bowl of milk with your mouth open.
link to original post

Apparently, back in Victorian times there were companies advertising pills for weight loss. You swallowed one pill which had a tapeworm in it. Once you lost the weight you wanted, you took a second pill which killed the tapeworm. This has never been proven, though, and the pills may have just been a quack money-making scam where no tapeworms were involved.
DRich
DRich
December 10th, 2022 at 3:24:30 PM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

Pet peeve:

link to original post

My wife does this as well, but I've learned over the years that it's better to ignore these small things for the good of the overall relationship. I'm not going to get divorced over how she loads the dishwasher. Plus, as you mentioned, husbands do things that aren't so great either. Perfect people should live by themselves.
link to original post

It sounds like we think alike.
tuttigym
tuttigym
December 11th, 2022 at 10:26:55 AM permalink

Pet peeve:

link to original post

link to original post

I am not married any more (since 1975). Therefore, I do not have to contend with peeves created by a marriage.

I do have two workable easily achieved answers to the predicament.

1. Use separate bathrooms.
2. Buy another tube of toothpaste and label it for your exclusive use.

tuttigym
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
December 11th, 2022 at 11:07:21 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

tuttigym
link to original post

I sometimes hide my own tube under the counter.

And to show my love in a way that won't ever be known, I sometimes roll up her tube so it's more easily squeezable.
DRich
DRich
December 11th, 2022 at 11:07:34 AM permalink

That would just create a new problem as she would ask why we need two tubes of toothpaste. Much safer to not even address the problem.
tuttigym
tuttigym
December 11th, 2022 at 11:33:28 AM permalink

That would just create a new problem as she would ask why we need two tubes of toothpaste. Much safer to not even address the problem.
link to original post

There is an appropriate response, but I would be suspended, so fill in the blank _______!

tuttigym
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
December 11th, 2022 at 11:48:15 AM permalink

Pet peeve:

link to original post

link to original post

I am not married any more (since 1975). Therefore, I do not have to contend with peeves created by a marriage.

I do have two workable easily achieved answers to the predicament.

1. Use separate bathrooms.

tuttigym
link to original post

Oh, but were it so simple to guard my dentifrice supply from the perils of being squeezed in the middle.
tuttigym
tuttigym
December 11th, 2022 at 1:50:50 PM permalink

Oh, but were it so simple to guard my dentifrice supply from the perils of being squeezed in the middle.

Indeed.

tuttigym
billryan
billryan
December 11th, 2022 at 2:22:15 PM permalink
Switch to travel-sized ones and throw away any uncapped tubes you find for sanitary reasons. There is something special about the first hit or two off a fresh tube of toothpaste.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
vbnm4
vbnm4
  • Threads: 0
December 15th, 2022 at 11:17:00 AM permalink
what if you mix them together? won't it get damaged?
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
December 15th, 2022 at 1:26:42 PM permalink

link to original post

Would she notice and care if the cap was gone/missing?

If so, steal the cap a few times and when she asks about it say you don't know perhaps I'm forgetting to put it on and it's getting lost. She might make sure she puts it back on herself.

I know how to wash clothes properly, load the dishwasher, and put stuff away correctly, however, my wife doesn't think so, or at least she thinks I won't do it properly, therefore, she forbids me from doing those things.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
tuttigym
tuttigym
December 15th, 2022 at 2:50:45 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

link to original post

Would she notice and care if the cap was gone/missing?

If so, steal the cap a few times and when she asks about it say you don't know perhaps I'm forgetting to put it on and it's getting lost. She might make sure she puts it back on herself.

I know how to wash clothes properly, load the dishwasher, and put stuff away correctly, however, my wife doesn't think so, or at least she thinks I won't do it properly, therefore, she forbids me from doing those things.
link to original post

That is why I am NOT married. I can do what I want when I want without any GUILT.

tuttigym
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
December 15th, 2022 at 4:28:34 PM permalink
Quote: 7NeverWins

Places like Boston Market & KFC selling "Family Meals" but forcing you to take the sides THEY choose and only allowing you the choice of 1 out of 3 sides!

I realize it's a gimmick to move menu items that don't sell, but seriously when you force people to take "common sides" like Mashed Potatoes & Stuffing instead of choosing it themselves, it just reeks of poor service. And when you ask nicely to change something, the rebuttal is always "Yea, but it'll cost you extra!" is just absurd.
link to original post

ever since Colonel Sanders died,KFC hasn't been the same and priced have gone through the roof
rxwine
rxwine
December 15th, 2022 at 4:58:05 PM permalink
I don't know if newer cars are coming out with brighter headlights or more people are changing out their stock headlights for extra bright. I was already annoyed with raised vehicles whose headlights shine too high.

Also if you come up behind me with super bright headlights I won't get out of your way. I will get out of the way of someone with respectable headlight manners.
billryan
billryan
December 15th, 2022 at 5:50:12 PM permalink

I don't know if newer cars are coming out with brighter headlights or more people are changing out their stock headlights for extra bright. I was already annoyed with raised vehicles whose headlights shine too high.

Also if you come up behind me with super bright headlights I won't get out of your way. I will get out of the way of someone with respectable headlight manners.
link to original post

You shouldn't be in the right lane unless you are passing, It's a courtesy to move aside for faster traffic.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
December 15th, 2022 at 5:54:11 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

You shouldn't be in the right lane unless you are passing, It's a courtesy to move aside for faster traffic.
link to original post

Right or left?

Snowing something awful up on the plains right now.
Abundance of caution and all that, but if you can't go at least half the speed limit, your trip should probably wait until the weather is nicer.
rxwine
rxwine
December 15th, 2022 at 6:02:22 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

link to original post

I think you mean left, but no worries. Driving too slow in the left lane annoys me also.
billryan
billryan
December 15th, 2022 at 6:02:32 PM permalink
Woke up this morning with no running water. Despite wrapping my hose with pipe insulation, the water filter froze up. PITA. I had to disconnect everything and let it sit in the Sun for a few hours. In spite of having the "Artic Insulation" package, it was cold last night.
It's a learning experience, but I think I will avoid extended cold weather.
rxwine
rxwine
December 15th, 2022 at 6:05:51 PM permalink
Now that you mentioned it, another thing that annoys me is when people can see that it is bumper to bumper traffic and want to pass even though they can only get one space ahead of me.
rxwine
rxwine
December 15th, 2022 at 6:31:13 PM permalink
i'm leaving that space in bumper-to-bumper traffic to not drive an unsafe distance from the car in front of me, not for someone to take it.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
December 15th, 2022 at 8:40:15 PM permalink
Quote: TinMan

Pet peeve that someone here may have experience with.

I booked a room at 4 Queens. Person on the phone said room was comped (I received a postcard for 2 nights free). But the Confirmation email identifies a price. I point this out and she says don’t worry about that, we have you in the system as comped. I asked for some confirmation in email that the room is comped and they didn’t provide one. I don’t want to get to the front desk and have them say it’s not comped. I did call back and another person did say he could see it was in as a comp. Still, I’d really like for the confirmation email to say comp. Or at least exclude the price (which is what I’ve seen before).
link to original post

2 nights at 4Q. Midweek you’re probably talking $79.98 total ?
It’s all about making that GTA
billryan
billryan
June 5th, 2023 at 8:13:46 AM permalink
I was on the Gettysburg Battlefield last week when I overheard a loud argument between two National Park Police and a significantly overweight middle-aged woman.
She had three small dogs with her, an older one and two just out of puppyhood.
The cops were telling her dogs aren't allowed, but she insisted the older dog was her therapy dog and she couldn't go anywhere without it, and the mother was so attached to her puppies that they had to be there.
They were pretty calm, and finally told her either leave or she'd get a ticket. When she heard the summons was twenty-five dollars, she started laughing and said to write her the ticket and not to waste her time over $25. She announces to the small crowd that she doesn't give a sh about $25, how she spends that on bottled water for her dogs, etc,etc, and how $25 means nothing.
Then she finds out she gets a $25 summons for each dog and flips out.

I met a friend in Covington Saturday night and we went out for a short barcrawl. We walk into one bar and order two pints of Yuengling. The bartender is not the least bit friendly and takes my $20 and gives me $4 change. The last place we were in charged $3.50 for the same thing, but I didn't say anything. A few minutes later, a group comes in and one of them orders two pitchers of Yuengling and I hear the bartender say $18. I ask him how much the pitchers are, and he says $9 each. I tell him it's our first time in this bar and I don't feel very welcome. My friend asks why he didn't tell us we could have gotten a pitcher for a much better price and he tells us it isn't his job to tell people the specials. A guy down at the end of the bar walks over, says he is the owner and asks what the problem is.
As a former bar owner, I'd have bought us the next round and apologized for the misunderstanding, but this guy tells us how he knows the bartender for years and couldn't be happier with him. He says we should finish our beers and leave. I see the look in my friends eye and decide it is time to go.
rxwine
rxwine
June 5th, 2023 at 8:33:42 AM permalink
You should have left a "folded" $20 as a tip. You can replace it for full value if you still have more than 50% of it. His piece will be worth nothing..
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
February 12th, 2024 at 9:20:33 AM permalink
I really, really hate shaving. Hate it. Struggle to understand how many folks tolerate voluntarily doing it every day or two.
MDawg
MDawg
  • Threads: 39
February 12th, 2024 at 9:45:17 AM permalink
I use a five blade heated Gillette Art of Shaving, but an old fashioned safety razor is actually less irritating for daily use. I have both.

MDawg's Shaving Recommendations.

MDawg's Shaving Recommendations II

link to original post

Last edited by: MDawg on Feb 12, 2024
I tell you it’s wonderful to be here, man. I don’t give a damn who wins or loses. It’s just wonderful to be here with you people. https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/betting-systems/33908-the-adventures-of-mdawg/
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 12th, 2024 at 10:06:54 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

I really, really hate shaving. Hate it. Struggle to understand how many folks tolerate voluntarily doing it every day or two.
link to original post

I don't care enough to shave or pursue permanent hair removal.

I am perfectly content looking "scruffy".
DRich
DRich
February 12th, 2024 at 10:54:12 AM permalink

That surprises me. It is funny how from these websites we feel like we know someone and I did not picture you with facial hair.

Many years ago i did a post where I posted pictures of what i thought many members would look like.

Here is yours:

unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
February 12th, 2024 at 11:02:18 AM permalink

That surprises me. It is funny how from these websites we feel like we know someone and I did not picture you with facial hair.

Many years ago i did a post where I posted pictures of what i thought many members would look like.

Here is yours:

link to original post

That’s a picture of someone with facial hair . . .
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
DRich
DRich
February 12th, 2024 at 11:06:20 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

That’s a picture of someone with facial hair . . .

I know, but that was the most representative picture I could find in my one minute of surfing.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
February 12th, 2024 at 11:40:01 AM permalink

Here is yours:

link to original post

Looks somewhat like me, although more like other people.

I haven't worn that style of hat since I was a teenager (excepting one halloween about a decade ago), and that picture doesn't quite capture my dislike of bacon.
DRich
DRich
February 12th, 2024 at 11:48:13 AM permalink

and that picture doesn't quite capture my dislike of bacon.

Had I realized that, this picture may be more appropriate.

• Jump to: