Seems as if 62% of the taxpayers are supporting the other 38%
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
August 9th, 2012 at 2:57:09 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

How far we have fallen

Well....an additional 20% are receiving social security and not in the work force, and 20% more are children. BUT, most of the 38% DO work (& pay FICA taxes), they're just still below the poverty line.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
August 9th, 2012 at 3:01:59 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

Quote: aceofspades

How far we have fallen

Well....an additional 20% are receiving social security and not in the work force, and 20% more are children. BUT, most of the 38% DO work (& pay FICA taxes), they're just still below the poverty line.

What percentage of Americans are net expenditures for the system? I ask this as when you factor some of these you maybe looking at someone paying out $10k in tax and getting $5k in benefits... but are still a net contributor. Plus it'd be a better way of comparing countries For example, I received medical assistance in the UK in 2007, but paid more in Tax then the cost of my treatment would have been in the private sector. In 2003 I got one unemployment cheque for about 80 pounds while I was job hunting. I would have been reliant on benefits if i hadn't found a job quickly. I was certainly a net contributor to the tax pool that year as well.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
  • Jump to: