Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
Thanked by
Mission146smoothgrhbeachbumbabsMukke
December 4th, 2023 at 7:10:40 AM permalink
I’m amazed. I think I’m pretty good with words. I don’t know all of them, but I think I know plenty of them. Of course specialized words for science and arts/industry can stump me. But words for general use? I got a good grip on words for general use.

MULCT.

It means, “to extract money through fines or taxation.”

Let’s avoid a pretty obvious opportunity to turn this into complaints about all governments everywhere, and rather marvel at how and why such a cool word has fallen from general usage. Just the sound of the word implies disgust and getting screwed, annd a sense of unfairness; and since fines and taxes come directly from authorities, there is a sense of inevitability in there, too. And it is all in the sound of the word.

This is a great word. For example, you got bopped in a speed trap and hit up for $187.50, right before Christmas: “Yeah, they mulcted me. Those bastards.” This did not happen to me, but if it did, I would definitely want to have that word ready just to let someone know my utter disgust with the whole affair.

I wonder if the verb “to milk” is related to this word.
A falling knife has no handle.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
Thanked by
Dieter
December 4th, 2023 at 7:15:09 AM permalink
Would, 'Mulcted' be pronounced with a silent 't' such as:

Mulked (one syllable)

Or, with the 't' enunciated, such as:

Mulk-tid (two syllables)

?
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888 
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 8:04:10 AM permalink
The word mulct makes me wonder whether people who pay taxes are mulch.

I also heard a new word recently: Polypy. Def: having numerous polyps. Example: "People in my family tend to have polypy colons."

Not sure that it is an official word, but the spoken language keeps evolving. In this case the increasing ubiquitousness of colonoscopies is a factor in the emergence of this word.

I think it's interesting because it contains 'ypy' as a string of letters. there are relatively few English words that contain that 3-letter string. And it appears to be the only word containg the 4-letter string 'lypy'.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 8:20:58 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Mulked (one syllable)

Mulk-tid (two syllables)

?
link to original post

I think it’s closer to mulk-ted, but I don’t know. I’ve never heard it out loud. Hell, I never even read it until the other day. I came across it in a crossword puzzle, and I had to solve all five crosses, and I knew they were all correct but the down word didn’t make sense so I had to look it up.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
Thanked by
Mission146Mosca
December 4th, 2023 at 9:39:08 AM permalink
The internet says it comes from the Latin "multa" or "mulcta" meaning "fine." It's supposed connection with the word "milk" in the sense of "milking someone for money" is not conclusive and could just be a coincidence.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 10:28:19 AM permalink

Mulked (one syllable)

Mulk-tid (two syllables)

?
link to original post

Sounds like something illicit that you would do with a woman. Something you could be arrested for in some parts of the world.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
FatGeezus
FatGeezus
  • Threads: 10
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 12:30:11 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

The word mulct makes me wonder whether people who pay taxes are mulch.

I also heard a new word recently: Polypy. Def: having numerous polyps. Example: "People in my family tend to have polypy colons."

Not sure that it is an official word, but the spoken language keeps evolving. In this case the increasing ubiquitousness of colonoscopies is a factor in the emergence of this word.

I think it's interesting because it contains 'ypy' as a string of letters. there are relatively few English words that contain that 3-letter string. And it appears to be the only word containg the 4-letter string 'lypy'.
link to original post

This reminded me of an old Honeymooners skit where Jackie Gleason pronounced "Polo Ponies" as "Pah lah pa nees."
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 1:12:07 PM permalink
New Oxford Dictionary entry..."situationship."
"What, me worry?"
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 1:15:26 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

link to original post

I looked up what that was and it sounds like another word for "dating."
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
Thanked by
MoscaMission146
December 4th, 2023 at 1:36:00 PM permalink
P.G. Wodehouse used the term "mulct" with some regularity. Here is an example from his 1934 novel "Right Ho, Jeeves" where Bertie Wooster is addressing an old friend Tuppy Glossop:

"That's the second time you've called me that. And," I said firmly, "I insist on an explanation. I have told you that I acted throughout from the best and kindliest motives in roasting you to Angela. It cut me to the quick to have to speak like that, and only the recollection of our lifelong friendship would have made me do it. And now you say you don't believe me and call me names for which I am not sure I couldn't have you up before a beak and jury and mulct you in very substantial damages. I should have to consult my solicitor, of course, but it would surprise me very much if an action did not lie. Be reasonable, Tuppy. Suggest another motive I could have had. Just one."

Dog Hand
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
December 4th, 2023 at 11:59:09 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Quote: MrV

link to original post

I looked up what that was and it sounds like another word for "dating."
link to original post

It’s 2023. Referring to something by a different name than it was called before, evidently, changes the material qualities of that thing.

I guess Shakespeare taught us nothing.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
Thanked by
Mission146
December 5th, 2023 at 1:37:52 AM permalink
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67602699

Oxford Dictionary word of the year : Rizz
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
Thanked by
Mission146
December 5th, 2023 at 1:42:47 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Mulked (one syllable)

Mulk-tid (two syllables)

?
link to original post

Sounds like something illicit that you would do with a woman. Something you could be arrested for in some parts of the world.
link to original post

I think I know the word EB is thinking of. $op)

Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
Mission146Mosca
December 5th, 2023 at 3:29:05 AM permalink
Mosca...did that same puzzle, had that same experience with it. New to me as well.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
Mission146
December 5th, 2023 at 6:10:27 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Mosca...did that same puzzle, had that same experience with it. New to me as well.
link to original post

It was crazy, wasn’t it! We had to solve all the cross words, and it still didn’t look right. I was absolutely delighted by the discovery.
DogHand
DogHand
Thanked by
Mission146
December 5th, 2023 at 12:59:35 PM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

Quote: EvenBob

Mulked (one syllable)

Mulk-tid (two syllables)

?
link to original post

link to original post

I think I know the word EB is thinking of. $op)

link to original post

OnceDear,

After reading your spoiler I've learned LOTS of new words... None of which appear in the works of P.G. Wodehouse, thought they might be in X.X.X. Wodehouse ;-)

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Dog Hand
BillHasRetired
BillHasRetired
  • Threads: 5
Thanked by
gordonm888Mission146
December 5th, 2023 at 1:16:50 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

{snip for clarity}
In this case the increasing ubiquitousness of colonoscopies is a factor in the emergence of this word.
link to original post

There's another word: UBIQUITY
As far as I can tell, it has exactly the same meaning as 'ubiquitousness'
DogHand
DogHand
December 18th, 2023 at 10:25:36 AM permalink
Guess what word appeared as the answer to 44 down in the New York Times Sunday crossword puzzle from 12/3/23:

44 Compulsory payments of old : MULCTS
“Mulct” is a term used primarily in civil law for a fine, a financial penalty imposed by a court.

Dog Hand

P.S. This puzzle appeared in my paper on 12/17/23: took me 48:15 to solve.

Sorry for the orientation. How can I fix that?

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
December 18th, 2023 at 10:52:28 AM permalink
I never saw it written so I'm not sure how it's spelled but my Grandmother used that to describe to describe a certain class of person.
Not a bum, but someone always broke to the point they'd owe their next paycheck. Back then, Irish bars cashed paychecks and gave advances to the regulars.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 18th, 2023 at 1:16:48 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I never saw it written so I'm not sure how it's spelled but my Grandmother used that to describe to describe a certain class of person.
Not a bum, but someone always broke to the point they'd owe their next paycheck. Back then, Irish bars cashed paychecks and gave advances to the regulars.
link to original post

Being mulct is still a way of life to a lot of people these days. Always overextended to the point if they missed one paycheck they'd be screwed.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
  • Jump to: