EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 10:21:04 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

I don’t like having a boss. Or being a boss. But that’s a different discussion.

That's funny, I haven't had a boss since the seventies and I haven't been a boss since the '80s. I've been self-employed since the late seventies, not something I intended it's just something that happened. I wonder how many times that's true in life, that things look intentional when they really were not.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
Thanked by
Mission146100xOdds
December 4th, 2023 at 11:26:35 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

sidenote:
42 replies and it's still page 1?
# of posts per page has changed?

How many posts per page is it now? 50?
link to original post

It went from 10 to 50 a few months ago due to a business decision.
I don't remember the exact details, only that all the links broke one day, and things started working again a few weeks later (thanks Miro).
May the cards fall in your favor.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
December 4th, 2023 at 11:37:54 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

That's funny, I haven't had a boss since the seventies and I haven't been a boss since the '80s. I've been self-employed since the late seventies, not something I intended it's just something that happened. I wonder how many times that's true in life, that things look intentional when they really were not.
link to original post

To the limited extent that I've ever succeeded at anything, it has absolutely never come by way of something I did intentionally.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 12:12:00 PM permalink

link to original post

I had the next best thing. I was 100% commissioned in a position that nobody understood, so the only thing they could track was the results. As long as I paid myself and everyone else who got a small piece, all anyone ever said to me were things like, “Do you need anything?” and “Good job.” Things came on to my desk unprofitable and left my desk profitable. And nobody else wanted the job, they thought it was difficult and chaotic.

Now I’m retired and I sit around the house in sweatpants. It’s everything I dreamed it could be.
A falling knife has no handle.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 12:14:49 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I also cook, but I wouldn't consider it a hobby as I'd also have to consider eating a hobby.
link to original post

I wanted to be a professional chef and I went to cooking school in San Francisco for two semesters over 40 years ago. I realized that I hated cooking for other people and I only like cooking for myself. But that was long before the days of Bobby Flay and Emeril Lagasse and all the highly paid celebrity chefs now. Gordon Ramsay who I consider a crappy chef has 58 restaurants, six of them are in Las Vegas. None of that was happening when I went to school.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 1:16:04 PM permalink

Now I’m retired and I sit around the house in sweatpants. It’s everything I dreamed it could be

Ain't it the truth?
"What, me worry?"
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 1:21:13 PM permalink

I also cook, but I wouldn't consider it a hobby as I'd also have to consider eating a hobby.
link to original post

I wanted to be a professional chef and I went to cooking school in San Francisco for two semesters over 40 years ago. I realized that I hated cooking for other people and I only like cooking for myself. But that was long before the days of Bobby Flay and Emeril Lagasse and all the highly paid celebrity chefs now. Gordon Ramsay who I consider a crappy chef has 58 restaurants, six of them are in Las Vegas. None of that was happening when I went to school.
link to original post

Ramsay’s okay. He knows what he knows. But his real talent is celebrity, and that makes him a lesser chef. Serve one master, ‘n all ‘at.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 1:22:06 PM permalink

Now I’m retired and I sit around the house in sweatpants. It’s everything I dreamed it could be.
link to original post

I just spent almost half a year sitting around the house in my boxer shorts.
It's not for everyone.
(I didn't much like it the other times circumstance has so favored me, either.)
DogHand
DogHand
  • Threads: 2
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 1:26:57 PM permalink
Quote: Dieter

link to original post

It's not for everyone.
link to original post

So switch to briefs! ;-)

Dog Hand
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 1:50:37 PM permalink

It's not for everyone.
link to original post

I can't do that psychologically because it means I'm giving up. If I'm not earning, if I'm not producing income, I'm miserable. Retirement is something that's not in my realm of understanding, I don't get it. Thinking up things to do just to kill time. I arranged it so I would have things to do to make money as long as I was breathing and my brain still worked. The original John D Rockefeller worked until his late 90's and he was probably the richest man that will ever live when figured in today's dollars. Retirement was not in his wheelhouse.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
Thanked by
Mission146DogHand
December 4th, 2023 at 1:57:27 PM permalink
Quote: DogHand

link to original post

It's not for everyone.
link to original post

So switch to briefs! ;-)

Dog Hand
link to original post

(sigh)

Oh good brief.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
Mission146odiousgambit
December 4th, 2023 at 2:09:42 PM permalink

It's not for everyone.
link to original post

I can't do that psychologically because it means I'm giving up. If I'm not earning, if I'm not producing income, I'm miserable. Retirement is something that's not in my realm of understanding, I don't get it. Thinking up things to do just to kill time. I arranged it so I would have things to do to make money as long as I was breathing and my brain still worked. The original John D Rockefeller worked until his late 90's and he was probably the richest man that will ever live when figured in today's dollars. Retirement was not in his wheelhouse.
link to original post

I’m glad you found what works for you. Me, I’m fine with this. It did take me a while to find a sense of purpose, but I’m at peace with doing nothing. It’s very calming. My biology and my psyche are in complete sync.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 3:03:47 PM permalink

If I'm not earning, if I'm not producing income, I'm miserable. Retirement is something that's not in my realm of understanding, I don't get it. Thinking up things to do just to kill time. I arranged it so I would have things to do to make money as long as I was breathing and my brain still worked.

By the time we reach retirement age we've had ample opportunity to make our mark in the world and to set aside enough money to do whatever it is we choose to do, it is time to step aside and give the young'uns a chance to take our place.

The sad reality is that many people find they still HAVE to work when they get old, due to poor planning and poor decision making, and oddly enough, sometimes...by choice!

The biggest fools in my opinion are the scions of business, the billionairs who work til they drop at their desk in their nineties: all in the service of keeping "power."

Work is, was and always will be only a means to an end, i.e. to earn enough money to live comfortably: those who feel it gives them a sense of purpose or identity are swimming in the shalllow end of the gene pool.

To those who still work after hitting their mid to late sixties I say ... tsk tsk tsk, you should have known better.

Life is a game, people...play your cards right.
Last edited by: MrV on Dec 4, 2023
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 3:08:19 PM permalink

I’m glad you found what works for you. Me, I’m fine with this. It did take me a while to find a sense of purpose, but I’m at peace with doing nothing. It’s very calming. My biology and my psyche are in complete sync.
link to original post

I subscribe to the attitude many native tribes around the world had forever. When a man got too old to contribute to his family or to the village he either died willingly or they got rid of him. Because without contributing he's just another mouth to feed. It was never true for women because there's always something a woman can do at any age to contribute. And I really think working contributes to longevity, and science seems to be backing me up on that more and more. I remember when my dad retired in the early seventies what a giant pain in the ass he became. He was useless, roaming around all day moaning and groaning trying to find something to do. Luckily he met a woman and got married and they moved to Florida, problem solved.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 3:30:39 PM permalink

I am so jealous. I just want to lay on a beach in the Caribbean and read books all day.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 3:41:43 PM permalink

link to original post

I subscribe to the attitude many native tribes around the world had forever. When a man got too old to contribute to his family or to the village he either died willingly or they got rid of him. Because without contributing he's just another mouth to feed. It was never true for women because there's always something a woman can do at any age to contribute. And I really think working contributes to longevity, and science seems to be backing me up on that more and more. I remember when my dad retired in the early seventies what a giant pain in the ass he became. He was useless, roaming around all day moaning and groaning trying to find something to do. Luckily he met a woman and got married and they moved to Florida, problem solved.
link to original post

It’s cool. We’re different. My feeling is I did my time in the salt mines, and now this time is mine.

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888 
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
RogerKintDieterMoscaMission146odiousgambit
December 4th, 2023 at 3:44:05 PM permalink
Jim Carrey:

I wish everyone would become rich and famous and do everything that they have always wanted to do, so that they would discover that that is not the answer.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
Mission146odiousgambit
December 4th, 2023 at 4:03:53 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Jim Carrey:

I wish everyone would become rich and famous and do everything that they have always wanted to do, so that they would discover that that is not the answer.

link to original post

While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.
Groucho Marx
TheCapitalShip
TheCapitalShip
  • Threads: 7
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 7:16:19 PM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

The game i LOVED the most was Age of Empires II and Microsoft is still supporting that game 15yrs later with new stuff.
When i found that out a couple of years ago, i thought about getting back into it since it doesnt require any hardware upgrades but never did.

I also used to play Path of Exile but back then they were doing changes so fast to game play that i gave up. My hard earned gear all of a sudden became 2nd rate with newly introduced gear having more powerful game mechanics.
link to original post

I still love age of empires II, I SUCK at multiplayer so I just do against the AI when I have time for a long match but it's fun, they actually JUST released a new DLC at the end of October of this year (mixed reviews though and I haven't launched the game in a while so don't take my word for it), it's amazing they still support the game this many years later though.

Path of Exile is actually going through another meta shakeup right now....this last league they didn't really change much, well this league....they are removing all the alt/divergent gems and changing the base gems of skills, and now are adding "transfigured" gems. Which basically means lots of skills got new changes, just a quick example, Righteous Fire (for now, they haven't shown the transfigured version yet) got completely shafted as a league starter when it's been as staple for a while now, they are still announcing the transfigured gems though, but it's pretty exciting if you'd like to get sucked back in :P.

Though I guess playing PoE is basically gambling on its own isn't it? Lol
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
Thanked by
RogerKintMission146
December 4th, 2023 at 9:15:45 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

or make a pan of Hamburger Helper
link to original post

that says a lot about a lot
It’s all about making that GTA
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
Mission146
December 4th, 2023 at 10:05:08 PM permalink

I am so jealous. I just want to lay on a beach in the Caribbean and read books all day.
link to original post

Just click on the link, I have no idea how to make these YouTube shorts appear here

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/A-i9w8X3B6A
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
Mission146
December 5th, 2023 at 2:57:00 AM permalink

link to original post

Just click on the link, I have no idea how to make these YouTube shorts appear here

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/A-i9w8X3B6A
link to original post

I'm glad that sort of thing makes you happy, but you and I are different.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
Thanked by
Mission146
December 5th, 2023 at 3:33:04 AM permalink
All this retirement talk , the different views on it and all, may have me reading 'About Schmidt' by Louis Begley again, or watch the movie again with Jack Nicholson, or both. Each delves into many the many ironies and such of retirement, with humor.

I saw the movie first and then read the book. The movie does not follow the book at all! The funny thing is, each stands on its own quite well ... whoever wrote the screenplay just did a great job taking the idea and running with it .

this business of not following the book but still making a good movie is rare of course. In any case I recommend a retired guy seeing the movie and reading the book both
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
MoscaMission146
December 5th, 2023 at 4:13:08 AM permalink

I have come to the conclusion that cooking might, or might not, be a hobby for me. There is doubt where there was once certitude, though I'm not sure I have been made better for this.
link to original post

I think about things, a lot. And one thing I think about sometimes is the evolution of my own cooking.

I’ve ALWAYS thought I’m a good cook. Except for when I first held a knife, pots and pans, and thought “What the hell?”, I’ve always thought I was good. At the same time, it was also obvious that in an absolute sense, I made good food because I followed a recipe. To make an analogy, I could turn wrenches, but I couldn’t design a machine. And I couldn’t turn wrenches to good effect without instruction, either. My food tasted good, but that wasn’t the same as being a good cook. And it didn’t make cooking a hobby, either; I just liked eating good food, and knew how to make it.

The hobby part evolved gradually. And it started off with frustration and being pissed off with not getting the results I wanted, specifically with beef rib roasts, aka prime rib. With those, the cookbooks were just flat out wrong: the most common recipes called for either steady 350° for 3 hours, or start at 500° for half an hour and then turn the oven off, and check the roast after 3 hours. The first recipe inevitably led to nice, thoroughly brown, well done beef. The second led to a nice brown crust, and a cold, red center. And here we have a problem, because one thing about a rib roast: nobody makes prime rib on a weeknight for family. We make rib roasts for special occasions. They’re expensive! They involve time and prep! And there is the emotional investment of serving them to others, as an accomplishment!

What you got here is deep breath territory. This is where you have to invest. You have to invest time, the time to prep and cook a rib roast. You have to invest money; that is one expensive hunk of meat, even on sale and USDA choice. And there is a lot riding on the outcome: the pleasure of serving friends and family, and of course secretly beaming from their praise when you know it is honest because you know it came out right. You’re going to have to practice. (And you’re going to have to eat some pretty mediocre beef, too.)

That’s how it started, for me. Once I figured that one out, I started thinking about other things, and I started trying them. The things I took to, I made the decision to buy the equipment that I needed. Other things were a dead end, for a lot of reasons. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Asian food. I hate making it at home. That’s fine. I’m good at American, Southern/Soul, TexMex (but not authentic Mexican), Italian, Eastern European, and some French, and I’m pretty good at BBQ. I don’t bake, but when I do I’m successful at it. And I don’t do pizzas, even though I have the equipment, because I don’t bake and making pizza is a pain in the ass if you don’t make them all the time.

Now I feel confident just making something from what I have, or walking into the store and thinking, “Oh, those will taste good together.” I’m not sure I could handle those ingredient challenges you see on TV, but in the real world? Yeah. I’ll make something that doesn’t have a name, it’s just stuff that tastes good. That’s why I consider it a hobby, and really it’s the only one I’ve had my whole life, I think.
link to original post

You're reminding me of what turned out to be an incredibly traumatic Christmas dinner. I can tell you've been there. I had 10 people, all family, there for dinner, cooked the $120 standing prime rib roast for 3+ hours (oven @350F) after an initial hot sear on all sides. Outside was carmelized perfectly. Inside was blood red throughout, and grossed 3 of the kids out so much when it was carved tableside, they left the table.

Ended up carving it into 1.5-2" steaks and grilling them. They were tasty but not tender, and the rest of dinner was mostly wrecked while waiting for the steaks. My most expensive failure, and in front of people who never let me forget it.

Ah, well.

I also love Asian food. I make a great stir-fry, but currently trying to figure out how to make good tempura vegs. I've gotten a bit obsessive about trying new-to-me spices and have dozens of jars of stuff, especially custom blends. It's been fun and amusing, so in that sense, it's probably half a hobby, half something I need to do anyway most days.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
Thanked by
Mission146
December 5th, 2023 at 4:35:17 AM permalink
How to turn yourself from a roast-cooking Klutz into a Virtuoso ............... learn to use a meat thermometer
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
odiousgambitMission146
December 5th, 2023 at 4:42:46 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

How to turn yourself from a roast-cooking Klutz into a Virtuoso ............... learn to use a meat thermometer
link to original post

If that's for me...well, that was 25 years ago, and yes, I do now have a meat thermometer. But thanks for the cheery sarcasm.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
odiousgambitMission146
December 5th, 2023 at 5:03:39 AM permalink

link to original post

I didn’t want to get into specifics about cooking, because this topic is hobbies. But that was part of the solution.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
Thanked by
Mission146
December 5th, 2023 at 5:11:34 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

link to original post

If that's for me...well, that was 25 years ago, and yes, I do now have a meat thermometer. But thanks for the cheery sarcasm.
link to original post

I was taking a shot at 3 of you I think!! Not!!

I was being serious as many cookbooks will still tell you to cook a roast by timing it vis a vis weight. Well, that is good for getting an idea of how long, but that cookbook should go on to say to use a thermometer and some don't

Hey, we had to learn this the hardway in our household too. I'd say the over-cooking problem for something we wanted 'medium rare' was the most common bad outcome. It can still happen as even using a meat thermometer is not foolproof, which is why I said "learn to use" one. For one thing your roast can go from 'too rare' to well into 'medium' in a very short period of time
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
beachbumbabsMission146
December 5th, 2023 at 5:15:12 AM permalink

I have come to the conclusion that cooking might, or might not, be a hobby for me. There is doubt where there was once certitude, though I'm not sure I have been made better for this.
link to original post

I think about things, a lot. And one thing I think about sometimes is the evolution of my own cooking.

I’ve ALWAYS thought I’m a good cook. Except for when I first held a knife, pots and pans, and thought “What the hell?”, I’ve always thought I was good. At the same time, it was also obvious that in an absolute sense, I made good food because I followed a recipe. To make an analogy, I could turn wrenches, but I couldn’t design a machine. And I couldn’t turn wrenches to good effect without instruction, either. My food tasted good, but that wasn’t the same as being a good cook. And it didn’t make cooking a hobby, either; I just liked eating good food, and knew how to make it.

The hobby part evolved gradually. And it started off with frustration and being pissed off with not getting the results I wanted, specifically with beef rib roasts, aka prime rib. With those, the cookbooks were just flat out wrong: the most common recipes called for either steady 350° for 3 hours, or start at 500° for half an hour and then turn the oven off, and check the roast after 3 hours. The first recipe inevitably led to nice, thoroughly brown, well done beef. The second led to a nice brown crust, and a cold, red center. And here we have a problem, because one thing about a rib roast: nobody makes prime rib on a weeknight for family. We make rib roasts for special occasions. They’re expensive! They involve time and prep! And there is the emotional investment of serving them to others, as an accomplishment!

What you got here is deep breath territory. This is where you have to invest. You have to invest time, the time to prep and cook a rib roast. You have to invest money; that is one expensive hunk of meat, even on sale and USDA choice. And there is a lot riding on the outcome: the pleasure of serving friends and family, and of course secretly beaming from their praise when you know it is honest because you know it came out right. You’re going to have to practice. (And you’re going to have to eat some pretty mediocre beef, too.)

That’s how it started, for me. Once I figured that one out, I started thinking about other things, and I started trying them. The things I took to, I made the decision to buy the equipment that I needed. Other things were a dead end, for a lot of reasons. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Asian food. I hate making it at home. That’s fine. I’m good at American, Southern/Soul, TexMex (but not authentic Mexican), Italian, Eastern European, and some French, and I’m pretty good at BBQ. I don’t bake, but when I do I’m successful at it. And I don’t do pizzas, even though I have the equipment, because I don’t bake and making pizza is a pain in the ass if you don’t make them all the time.

Now I feel confident just making something from what I have, or walking into the store and thinking, “Oh, those will taste good together.” I’m not sure I could handle those ingredient challenges you see on TV, but in the real world? Yeah. I’ll make something that doesn’t have a name, it’s just stuff that tastes good. That’s why I consider it a hobby, and really it’s the only one I’ve had my whole life, I think.
link to original post

You're reminding me of what turned out to be an incredibly traumatic Christmas dinner. I can tell you've been there. I had 10 people, all family, there for dinner, cooked the $120 standing prime rib roast for 3+ hours (oven @350F) after an initial hot sear on all sides. Outside was carmelized perfectly. Inside was blood red throughout, and grossed 3 of the kids out so much when it was carved tableside, they left the table.

Ended up carving it into 1.5-2" steaks and grilling them. They were tasty but not tender, and the rest of dinner was mostly wrecked while waiting for the steaks. My most expensive failure, and in front of people who never let me forget it.

Ah, well.

I also love Asian food. I make a great stir-fry, but currently trying to figure out how to make good tempura vegs. I've gotten a bit obsessive about trying new-to-me spices and have dozens of jars of stuff, especially custom blends. It's been fun and amusing, so in that sense, it's probably half a hobby, half something I need to do anyway most days.
link to original post

I sympathize completely! What usually happens with my crowd (they’re all friends and in-laws, my side of the family is all over the country) is that they’ll smile and say it’s great, but nobody reaches for seconds. But I know. I appreciate their restraint, but I know.

Buying all that one-time stuff, both equipment and produce/spices, is one of the reasons I don’t want to dive into Asian cooking. There is still so much I don’t know about the stuff I do know! I could cook for the rest of my life just on variations of braised animals.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
beachbumbabsMission146Hunterhill
December 5th, 2023 at 5:22:10 AM permalink
My exquisite cooking skills will be on full display Christmas day. I ordered a 9lb Honey Baked Ham and a 3lb Honey Baked smoked turkey breast. My job is to pay for them and deliver them to the dinner table.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
beachbumbabsMission146odiousgambit
December 5th, 2023 at 5:24:34 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I was being serious as many cookbooks will still tell you to cook a roast by timing it vis a vis weight. Well, that is good for getting an idea of how long, but that cookbook should go on to say to use a thermometer and some don't

Hey, we had to learn this the hardway in our household too. I'd say the over-cooking problem for something we wanted 'medium rare' was the most common bad outcome. It can still happen as even using a meat thermometer is not foolproof, for one thing your roast can go from 'too rare' to well into 'medium' in a very short period of time
link to original post

Oh good god with the Christmas roast (coming up), where three of us want medium rare, two want “well done but juicy”, and two want “medium, but none of that red, just a little pink”. For a couple years I was cutting a large primal into two smaller roasts and starting one of them half an hour early. Now, I tell everyone to stay the hell out of my kitchen, and I do the roast to medium rare and toss slices in a skillet to make those “medium, but none of that red just a little pink” and “well done but juicy” servings because those are the exact same thing separated by about 10 seconds. The compliments have been sincere so it must be working. I keep the rest simple, with a huge tossed salad and baked potatoes; anything else used to get “courtesy sampled”, I paid attention to what was available the next morning as omelet fillings and gradually pared it down. They’re just looking forward to the meat.
DRich
DRich
Thanked by
Mission146
December 5th, 2023 at 5:29:54 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Hey, we had to learn this the hardway in our household too. I'd say the over-cooking problem for something we wanted 'medium rare' was the most common bad outcome. It can still happen as even using a meat thermometer is not foolproof, for one thing your roast can go from 'too rare' to well into 'medium' in a very short period of time
link to original post

Oh good god with the Christmas roast (coming up), where three of us want medium rare, two want “well done but juicy”, and two want “medium, but none of that red, just a little pink”. For a couple years I was cutting a large primal into two smaller roasts and starting one of them half an hour early. Now, I tell everyone to stay the hell out of my kitchen, and I do the roast to medium rare and toss slices in a skillet to make those “medium, but none of that red just a little pink” and “well done but juicy” servings because those are the exact same thing separated by about 10 seconds. The compliments have been sincere so it must be working. I keep the rest simple, with a huge tossed salad and baked potatoes; anything else used to get “courtesy sampled”, I paid attention to what was available the next morning as omelet fillings and gradually pared it down. They’re just looking forward to the meat.
link to original post

My favorite way to eat Prime Rib is to cut off a thick slice after cooking it to medium rare, covered it in Blackening seasoning and toss it into a frying pan for about one minute on each side.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
Mission146
December 5th, 2023 at 5:47:01 AM permalink

My favorite way to eat Prime Rib is to cut off a thick slice after cooking it to medium rare, covered it in Blackening seasoning and toss it into a frying pan for about one minute on each side.

Mine is horseradish sauce and sautéed mushrooms. But I’m going to offer a side of bleu cheese herb butter as an option this year. And, if you offered me that I am sure I would absolutely devour it, handily and with great pleasure.
Mosca
Mosca
Thanked by
odiousgambitMission146
December 5th, 2023 at 6:05:47 AM permalink
Although it looks like Even Bob and I disagree, that’s not true. He is not wrong. Retirement was really, really hard for me, for the first few months and especially the first few weeks. I was used to being needed and depended on. I knew that I wasn’t irreplaceable; I had a hand in making sure my replacement was up to speed and could step in without interruption. The disconnect was on my end. All of a sudden, there was no reason to wake up the next morning… hell, there was no reason to go to bed at night.

We all need to solve this problem in a way that satisfies who we are, beyond what we do. There is no absolute answer, and not everyone finds one, either. So far I’m doing okay. I don’t want things, which I guess helps. I had to ask myself what did I really want; what would I have picked, 50 years ago? Which is sort of hard, because most of us had no idea what we wanted when we were in our late teens.

What I wanted, above all, wasn’t a thing, or a place in life. What I’ve always wanted was to be left alone. Not bugged or bothered. I don’t mean isolated, and I don’t mean not needed; I mean not hassled. As long as I’m not hassled, I’m pretty much at peace. All the other stuff, that’s just life, and living. I still have enough curiosity that I want to know what comes next, so I think it’s okay.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 642
Thanked by
Mission146
December 7th, 2023 at 5:29:08 AM permalink

Retirement was really, really hard for me, for the first few months and especially the first few weeks. I was used to being needed and depended on. I knew that I wasn’t irreplaceable; I had a hand in making sure my replacement was up to speed and could step in without interruption. The disconnect was on my end. All of a sudden, there was no reason to wake up the next morning… hell, there was no reason to go to bed at night.

We all need to solve this problem in a way that satisfies who we are, beyond what we do. There is no absolute answer, and not everyone finds one, either. So far I’m doing okay. I don’t want things, which I guess helps. I had to ask myself what did I really want; what would I have picked, 50 years ago? Which is sort of hard, because most of us had no idea what we wanted when we were in our late teens.

What I wanted, above all, wasn’t a thing, or a place in life. What I’ve always wanted was to be left alone. Not bugged or bothered. I don’t mean isolated, and I don’t mean not needed; I mean not hassled. As long as I’m not hassled, I’m pretty much at peace. All the other stuff, that’s just life, and living. I still have enough curiosity that I want to know what comes next, so I think it’s okay.
link to original post

I used to do soduku to try to keep my mind sharp.
But after the novelty of that new thing wore off, i stopped.

i want to learn to get better at chess. i'm rated at 1300. (EVERYONE comes in at 1200.) The last tournament i played in was about 20yrs ago and i havent played chess since.

I don't want to memorized lines. I want to learn tactics and strategy but i dont have the concentration to read it.
i need a video with subtitles to explain it.
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
  • Jump to: