1 vote (25%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (25%)

4 members have voted

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 4th, 2023 at 1:19:06 PM permalink
Why not a thread about other kinds of advantage play? AP knowledge is money. (Or something useful anyway)

I’ve heard more than one person (usually of a certain age) complain about kids turning too many words into shortened versions and probably not even know how to spell the real word or use it properly. But you know, the way text messages are set up, if you have text message limit, you can write a fairly long message to someone without even sending it because it may appear fully in the preview window. Not much of an AP play, but something to start with.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
July 4th, 2023 at 2:52:20 PM permalink
I multicarded some coupons last year, saving about $300.

(Barely an AP; I could have skipped the tobacco purchases entirely and saved more.)
May the cards fall in your favor.
linksjunkie
linksjunkie
  • Threads: 11
July 4th, 2023 at 6:11:56 PM permalink
If you’re a Kroger app user there is currently a very solid coupon in the app.

Buy 2 get 1 free for steaks. Pretty good to start with but it gets even better. Family packs of steaks count as 1 unit. I just bought 3 family packs of T-bones (4 steaks/6 lbs total per pack) for the cost of 2. Plus a was able to stack with another digital coupon for $6.77/lb choice grade T-bones.

Long story short, I ended up with 12 one and a half pound steaks for less than $7.00/ea.

Cooked a couple after a little olive oil soak with salt, pepper and tarigon. Very tasty.

FYI - the buy 2 get 1 free coupon is valid until July 31.
Son you ain’t paying attention I’m cutting you but you ain’t bleeding - Foghorn Leghorn
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
smoothgrh
July 4th, 2023 at 6:23:45 PM permalink
I walked into a bar in Northern Arizona and got a bad vibe from the place. The bartender was friendly enough and mentioned they were having "Red Hot" shots for a dollar each. I looked around and estimated there were about a dozen patrons, so I ordered two rounds of dollar shots for everyone. It was as if they suddenly discovered I was a long-lost relative. I didn't pay for another drink the rest of the night and can't remember the last time I laughed so hard.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
July 4th, 2023 at 6:31:14 PM permalink
You can buy stuff at kohls and get kohls cash (a limited time store credit), and returning the items does not cancel it out.

I’ve never done this on purpose. I’m not sure how much you could abuse this before they’d take notice.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 4th, 2023 at 6:49:09 PM permalink
I buy almost everything for my house now off of Facebook Marketplace. You can find really quality stuff for almost nothing if you're patient. I needed a new laptop and I found one on Marketplace that was 4 years old and cost $800 new for $150 and I made sure that it wasn't overused like for gaming and stuff. So what if it only lasts for three or four years I'll just go buy another one. I found four solid oak bar stools for $6 each these things retail anywhere between 40 and 75 dollars and I use them all the time. I found a solid oak 7 ft tall curio cabinet with leaded glass windows free. The people were moving that day and couldn't take it with them so I went and picked it up. I got a 20 ft Persian rug runner almost unused that they paid $150 for and I got it for 25 bucks. I do it because it's fun and I love getting quality stuff for almost nothing because it's what I used to do for a living when I was in the antique business. It's treasure hunting and it never gets old.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rainman
rainman
  • Threads: 18
July 4th, 2023 at 6:58:52 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I buy almost everything for my house now off of Facebook Marketplace. You can find really quality stuff for almost nothing if you're patient. I needed a new laptop and I found one on Marketplace that was 4 years old and cost $800 new for $150 and I made sure that it wasn't overused like for gaming and stuff. So what if it only lasts for three or four years I'll just go buy another one. I found four solid oak bar stools for $6 each these things retail anywhere between 40 and 75 dollars and I use them all the time. I found a solid oak 7 ft tall curio cabinet with leaded glass windows free. The people were moving that day and couldn't take it with them so I went and picked it up. I got a 20 ft Persian rug runner almost unused that they paid $150 for and I got it for 25 bucks. I do it because it's fun and I love getting quality stuff for almost nothing because it's what I used to do for a living when I was in the antique business. It's treasure hunting and it never gets old.
link to original post

I use FM all the time as well as Offerup People have so much stuff and always want new stuff you
can literally furnish 2500sf for under $400 and that includes kitchenware.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
July 4th, 2023 at 8:05:41 PM permalink
Some of my best AP was credit card points and miles. The best one I remember was the treasury was selling dollar coins for a dollar with free shipping. If I remember correctly it was a limit of $3000 per order. My mailman delivered me about $500,000 in dollar coins which I would just deposit as each order came in. I had about 500,000 airline miles at zero cost to myself.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 260
July 5th, 2023 at 7:25:32 AM permalink
coke rewards

my gf used to do them all the time and get gift cards, movie tickets, etc.

i met her in college and the college we went to had a coke machine every 500ft and a recycling bin in every classroom

every day i would go and get our MONTHS limit of points in bottle caps... i would fill up a decent sized bag

we had to have i think like 5 different accounts linked to a couple of different households

now they dont do physical items any more and the only thing the points are good for are entries into contests
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
July 5th, 2023 at 8:47:52 AM permalink
The power of USED and DIY.

As an audiophile I know a lot about good hi-fi equipment and realize most of it should last quite awhile, so I almost always buy used equipment, typically saving 50-60% over the cost of new.

Over time I have become a pretty damned good shade tree mechanic and this has been a huge money saver.

I really enjoy old Volvo turbos, aka "turbobricks," and I own and maintain two different vintages of same for my personal use.

It is very satisfying to work on them, a challenge to both mind and body.

Recently I pulled the engine and transmission from my 244 Turbo to replace a broken clutch fork and do other "heavy maintenance:" it took two weeks and a lot of effort but I relish the physical activity and effort involved, it is good exercise and helps me stay in shape.

Oh yeah: I love driving these old cars, both because of their intrinsic value as well as for all the money I am saving.

I firmly believe that one reason I am in good financial shape is because unlike many other attorneys I never felt the need to trade in a new car for another one every year or two.

We now own four vehicles: until 2022 my wife drove a '92 Volvo 940 Turbo (nice shape) but we sold it and bought a new Mazda CX-5 Carbon Edition Turbo as we plan to travel the US and Canada extensively.

Is DIY car repair becoming somewhat of a lost art these days?
"What, me worry?"
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
July 5th, 2023 at 9:07:06 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

link to original post

A bit.
The tools are a lot more expensive now, and it's usually more involved than cleaning or replacing the distributor points or setting the valves on an air-cooled VW.

I did get tagged to assist with replacing an alternator in the basement of a Walmart parking lot* so somebody else could get home (without a holiday rate roadside repair or tow or hotel). Fair pain in the neck, that - ended up having to go to another store to get the specialty tensioner arm wrench. Lots of tight clearances in the modern machines (hooray efficiency), but the 1950's era hardware was a lot more convenient to work on.

Scrubbing the grease off afterwards in the restroom was impossible, and I think I had to discard that t-shirt. The kids got to play with the chickens, though, and we got some free eggs during peak eggflation.

This is not exaggeration. Many of my strange tales are true.
heatmap
heatmap
July 5th, 2023 at 9:09:53 AM permalink

The power of USED and DIY.

As an audiophile I know a lot about good hi-fi equipment and realize most of it should last quite awhile, so I almost always buy used equipment, typically saving 50-60% over the cost of new.

Over time I have become a pretty damned good shade tree mechanic and this has been a huge money saver.

I really enjoy old Volvo turbos, aka "turbobricks," and I own and maintain two different vintages of same for my personal use.

It is very satisfying to work on them, a challenge to both mind and body.

Recently I pulled the engine and transmission from my 244 Turbo to replace a broken clutch fork and do other "heavy maintenance:" it took two weeks and a lot of effort but I relish the physical activity and effort involved, it is good exercise and helps me stay in shape.

Oh yeah: I love driving these old cars, both because of their intrinsic value as well as for all the money I am saving.

I firmly believe that one reason I am in good financial shape is because unlike many other attorneys I never felt the need to trade in a new car for another one every year or two.

We now own four vehicles: until 2022 my wife drove a '92 Volvo 940 Turbo (nice shape) but we sold it and bought a new Mazda CX-5 Carbon Edition Turbo as we plan to travel the US and Canada extensively.

link to original post

no well never go back to that dangerous activity and more towards this attitude

EvenBob
EvenBob
July 5th, 2023 at 9:13:05 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

link to original post

A bit.
The tools are a lot more expensive now, and it's usually more involved than cleaning or replacing the distributor points or setting the valves on an air-cooled VW.

I did get tagged to assist with replacing an alternator in the basement of a Walmart parking lot* so somebody else could get home (without a holiday rate roadside repair or tow or hotel). Fair pain in the neck, that - ended up having to go to another store to get the specialty tensioner arm wrench. Lots of tight clearances in the modern machines (hooray efficiency), but the 1950's era hardware was a lot more convenient to work on.

Scrubbing the grease off afterwards in the restroom was impossible, and I think I had to discard that t-shirt. The kids got to play with the chickens, though, and we got some free eggs during peak eggflation.

link to original post

Walmart parking lots have basements? You're making that up..
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
July 5th, 2023 at 11:26:48 AM permalink

link to original post

A bit.

link to original post

Walmart parking lots have basements? You're making that up..
link to original post

The parking lot was underneath the store, below ground level.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
July 5th, 2023 at 2:52:42 PM permalink
Reward Credit cards with no annual fees are an easy one especially if you use them for purchases that you have to make anyway.
Signing up for reward programs at any business that you frequent (or even occasionally go to) from gas stations to grocery stores is another easy one (assuming it is free to enroll).
Entering every free sweepstakes that you can (if it says no purchase required you can generally just go to the products website and enter without buying whatever it is).
These are all pretty standard activities that you can do virtually anywhere in the U.S. (unless you live in one of the few states that bans sweepstakes).
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
July 5th, 2023 at 3:58:39 PM permalink
Wendy's had a great promotion with an airline. Collect 32 rewards pieces and get a free flight anywhere in the U.S. that they flew. Every drink would get you a reward piece (I think Fries too). Buy 32 drinks and get a free flight or just hang around Wendy's and collect others cups when they were throwing them away. I managed about 10 free flights from that promo.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 5th, 2023 at 5:17:59 PM permalink

link to original post

At Walmart. In the United States. Admit it you were at Macy's.
heatmap
heatmap
July 5th, 2023 at 5:18:47 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Wendy's had a great promotion with an airline. Collect 32 rewards pieces and get a free flight anywhere in the U.S. that they flew. Every drink would get you a reward piece (I think Fries too). Buy 32 drinks and get a free flight or just hang around Wendy's and collect others cups when they were throwing them away. I managed about 10 free flights from that promo.
link to original post

My god Wendy’s must have been paying for so many flights
heatmap
heatmap
July 5th, 2023 at 5:20:14 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

In all likelihood there is a super mall with a huge parking lot and Walmart is at the end attached to the super mall Walmart thing
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
July 5th, 2023 at 10:03:58 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I am quite sure I was not at Macy's, Gimbels, or even Marshall Fields.
One simply doesn't trade late night car repairs for homegrown eggs at the upscale department stores.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
July 6th, 2023 at 2:51:13 AM permalink

link to original post

A bit.

link to original post

Something incomplete here... you got tagged to help, and got paid off with chickens and eggs?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
July 6th, 2023 at 5:37:49 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

Something incomplete here... you got tagged to help, and got paid off with chickens and eggs?
link to original post

Not chickens. ("Chickens are friends!" if you believe the small humans who hug them enthusiastically.)
Have you found helping a friend of a friend to be rewarding, beyond whatever small tokens of appreciation came your way?
When we started the car up, things felt right.
When I got the message that they all got home safely, the world seemed ok.
(This doesn't mean I didn't grouse a bit while trying to scrub mucky Walmart parking lot grease drippings out of my armpits.)
The eggs were the frosting, not the cake.
rxwine
rxwine
July 6th, 2023 at 10:40:26 AM permalink
It’s not very convenient, but a Starbucks registered gift card gives you 2 points rewards, while you’re using your Starbucks phone app only gives you 1. So you collect reward points twice as fast with a card. But too large a balance on the card and it doesn’t do much for you in Starbucks account just sitting there. (I don’t know what the actual limit is, but I wouldn’t put that much on anyway)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
July 6th, 2023 at 3:43:17 PM permalink
During my homeless years I found most fast food places gave free food in return for doing an online survey.

You answered a few questions wrote a supplies code on a receipt from the prior day and you could redeem for food.

Nowadays they make it so it's with purchase of fries and coke but back then it was pure free food

I wouldn't even make the initial purchase for the survey. Most people throw out their receipts still stapled to the bag of food so I would just dig in the garbage for a receipt that was sticking near the top and take the survey
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 6th, 2023 at 5:46:17 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

During my homeless years I found most fast food places gave free food in return for doing an online survey.

You answered a few questions wrote a supplies code on a receipt from the prior day and you could redeem for food.

Nowadays they make it so it's with purchase of fries and coke but back then it was pure free food

I wouldn't even make the initial purchase for the survey. Most people throw out their receipts still stapled to the bag of food so I would just dig in the garbage for a receipt that was sticking near the top and take the survey
link to original post

Exactly how I picture you, digging through the garbage while you take your break from your permanent seat on the subway. What fond memories you must have.
heatmap
heatmap
July 6th, 2023 at 6:15:18 PM permalink

link to original post

Exactly how I picture you, digging through the garbage while you take your break from your permanent seat on the subway. What fond memories you must have.
link to original post

I've heard that homelessness is a sign of a society that is doing very well

I know most don't choose to be homeless but the fact that our society can support people who don't support the society kind of thing
darkoz
darkoz
Thanked by
RogerKintSOOPOOUP84
July 6th, 2023 at 7:46:25 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

That's the problem with old people. They imagine what happened many years ago.

What happens in the present is too difficult.

I imagine you typing these posts by candlelight from a dilapidated home where $5 profit from roulette can buy you a few cans of sardines
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 6th, 2023 at 10:01:22 PM permalink
Quote: heatmap

I know most don't choose to be homeless but the fact that our society can support people who don't support the society kind of thing
link to original post

Absolutely not true the vast majority of homeless people in this country choose to be that way because they're either addicted to drugs or they're too lazy to get a job or a combination of both. Of course there are people who are homeless not by their choice but most of them are there because that's where they want to be. It's no accident that they migrate to the places in the country that have the best climate for homelessness. Duh, if they didn't want to be homeless why would they do that.
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 6th, 2023 at 10:04:34 PM permalink

link to original post

You mention it so often that it's like it's still happening. You constantly bring it up like it's the most proud moment in your life being homeless and rooting through garbage cans. So if it happened so many years ago and you don't want to talk about it quit bringing it up all the time.
darkoz
darkoz
Thanked by
100xOdds
July 7th, 2023 at 12:00:52 AM permalink

link to original post

You mention it so often that it's like it's still happening. You constantly bring it up like it's the most proud moment in your life being homeless and rooting through garbage cans. So if it happened so many years ago and you don't want to talk about it quit bringing it up all the time.
link to original post

Strange. I brought it up once this year .

I surmise that EB is so enamoured of my abilities to Advantage Play which he wishes he could do that all he thinks about is statements I have made over the years as if they all just were made recently.

Very sad!
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 7th, 2023 at 7:38:51 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I surmise that EB is so enamoured of my abilities to Advantage Play which he wishes he could do that all he thinks about is statements I have made over the years as if they all just were made recently.

Very sad!
link to original post

You are good at talking about Advantage Play and for some reason you think that's the same thing as doing it. It's not. I only believe about 1/10 of what you post probably not even that much.
darkoz
darkoz
July 7th, 2023 at 10:21:08 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Very sad!
link to original post

You are good at talking about Advantage Play and for some reason you think that's the same thing as doing it. It's not. I only believe about 1/10 of what you post probably not even that much.
link to original post

LMAO I didn't realize you doing tryouts for standup comedy.

The one thing I know for a fact is the true advantage players on this forum including the Wizard can disseminate your statement above and determine who really knows AND DOES AP.
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
July 7th, 2023 at 2:30:38 PM permalink
I am the ultimate AP for groceries and sundries. As a 20 year volunteer for a large food bank, I get all the stuff I need from damaged staples, meat, seafood, dairy, bakery, and just about anything one might purchase from large supermarkets, Target, Walmart, etc. My MONTHLY expenditures for the above might total $20.00, yes, I said $20 bucks.

tuttigym
rainman
rainman
July 7th, 2023 at 2:48:23 PM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

I am the ultimate AP for groceries and sundries. As a 20 year volunteer for a large food bank, I get all the stuff I need from damaged staples, meat, seafood, dairy, bakery, and just about anything one might purchase from large supermarkets, Target, Walmart, etc. My MONTHLY expenditures for the above might total $20.00, yes, I said $20 bucks.

tuttigym
link to original post

Not an advantage play sir. This is just the universe rewarding you for being a good human being.
tuttigym
tuttigym
July 7th, 2023 at 2:56:10 PM permalink
Quote: rainman

Quote: tuttigym

tuttigym
link to original post

Not an advantage play sir. This is just the universe rewarding you for being a good human being.
link to original post

Nice of you to so state, but for me it is just alot of fun and great exercise.

tuttigym
EvenBob
EvenBob
July 7th, 2023 at 4:10:20 PM permalink

determine who really knows AND DOES AP.
link to original post

Is this were true this would worry you, but you know it's not true so you're not worried at all.
darkoz
darkoz
July 7th, 2023 at 6:46:17 PM permalink

determine who really knows AND DOES AP.
link to original post

Is this were true this would worry you, but you know it's not true so you're not worried at all.
link to original post

Vaudeville is dead. Try different humor.
rxwine
rxwine
July 8th, 2023 at 10:16:33 AM permalink
Starting this thread reminded me of “Freecycle”. Haven’t thought about that in awhile. Looks like they have an app now. I never did use it, but I suspect most anything good is picked up fast. OToh, I need a few pieces of wood for a project so I may see if anyone is donating some useful scraps instead of buying. I could even knock apart someone’s useless piece of furniture for it. Shoot, just a regular board from Lowe’s or depot of moderate size and quality is $10. So, might save $30 here.
billryan
billryan
July 8th, 2023 at 10:26:25 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Starting this thread reminded me of “Freecycle”. Haven’t thought about that in awhile. Looks like they have an app now. I never did use it, but I suspect most anything good is picked up fast. OToh, I need a few pieces of wood for a project so I may see if anyone is donating some useful scraps instead of buying. I could even knock apart someone’s useless piece of furniture for it. Shoot, just a regular board from Lowe’s or depot of moderate size and quality is $10. So, might save $30 here.
link to original post

About ten years ago, my friends were moving from Long Island to Vegas and they had a garage sale. When it was over, they advertised on freecycle that anything in the yard or driveway could be had the next day starting at 9 AM. Around 3 Am, two different trucks pulled up and guys started loading stuff up. They weren't together and ended up getting in a loud argument that the cops responded to. The next day, freecyclers descended like locusts. Incredibly, the aftermath reminded me of the fourth day of Woodstock with all the trash left behind.
I'd never heard of freecycle before that and used it a couple of times afterward.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Talldude90
Talldude90
  • Threads: 15
July 9th, 2023 at 1:35:31 PM permalink
I haven't done it personally, and it's debatable on the usefulness of it. But some grocery stores will award fuel points for gift card purchases. Combine that with triple point days and you can rake them in.

On the same lines as this topic there was once a gas station that had special items that got extra points in their fuel rewards program. There was no cap other than $0/gal. Based off of the prices on the items, the amount of fuel I knew I needed, and the rewards given for those specific items I was able to purchase the items (one time it was a soda I generally drink) and after purchasing enough products to get down to 6C/gal I had only spent about 2/3 of what it would have taken to fill up. So a 1/3 discount on the fuel and a crap ton of soda that I drink anyways, free.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
July 9th, 2023 at 2:10:12 PM permalink
I posted my AP move in my blog — I'm sure most tightwad casino-goers know this old one: https://wizardofvegas.com/member/smoothgrh/blog/#post2637
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
July 9th, 2023 at 3:53:08 PM permalink
Quote: smoothgrh

I posted my AP move in my blog — I'm sure most tightwad casino-goers know this old one: https://wizardofvegas.com/member/smoothgrh/blog/#post2637
link to original post

Never did this at Bellagio, but the first time I went to vegas, I did it at TI.

Speaking of buffets, I have a feeling the Paris one isn't coming back any time soon; I'm pretty sure its location is now Martha Stewart's restaurant.
rainman
rainman
July 9th, 2023 at 4:18:08 PM permalink

Quote: lilredrooster

All charities are corrupt you just have to know where to look. For every family they feed what else are they feeding THAT WE DON'T KNOW ABOUT.

if you don't know about it - how would you know they're corrupt___________?

link to original post

Because they're all corrupt, it's just a matter of degrees. Somebody in every charitable organization is skimming something because the temptation is just too great.
link to original post

Wherever man is corruption is, as well as evil. Remove man from this earth and neither of those remain.
Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
July 9th, 2023 at 4:30:49 PM permalink
Quote: Talldude90

I haven't done it personally, and it's debatable on the usefulness of it. But some grocery stores will award fuel points for gift card purchases. Combine that with triple point days and you can rake them in.

On the same lines as this topic there was once a gas station that had special items that got extra points in their fuel rewards program. There was no cap other than $0/gal. Based off of the prices on the items, the amount of fuel I knew I needed, and the rewards given for those specific items I was able to purchase the items (one time it was a soda I generally drink) and after purchasing enough products to get down to 6C/gal I had only spent about 2/3 of what it would have taken to fill up. So a 1/3 discount on the fuel and a crap ton of soda that I drink anyways, free.
link to original post

I think I used a similar fuel discount once.
There is now a 25 gallon limit, and I am not invited to participate.
I call that a win.
smoothgrh
smoothgrh
  • Threads: 87
July 10th, 2023 at 1:18:55 AM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Quote: smoothgrh

link to original post

Never did this at Bellagio, but the first time I went to vegas, I did it at TI.

Speaking of buffets, I have a feeling the Paris one isn't coming back any time soon; I'm pretty sure its location is now Martha Stewart's restaurant.
link to original post

I recall at some point, Bellagio stopped allowing people to get away with that. Something like all the lunch diners had to exit before dinner started.

Martha Stewart's restaurant is across from where the Paris buffet was, based on my Nov 2022 visit.
billryan
billryan
July 12th, 2023 at 12:27:20 PM permalink
Years ago, I had a roommate who was constantly broke. We agreed he could pay $50 a week instead of the $200 a month we had previously agreed to. It worked well for both of us as he paid me every week and I had spending money. I had a sweetheart deal. The rent was $350, including everything but electricity. After almost two years, he sits me down and complains about how he had overpaid me almost $300 and thinks he should be entitled to a free month. I told him our original $ 200-a-month contract had been voided and a new $ 50-a-week contract was in place. He wasn't happy but a similar situation would have cost him double, or more. He was going away for two weeks and I agreed not to charge him rent during the time he was away, as a one-time compromise.
He was a waiter at the Rainbow Room when it didn't interfere with his fledgling acting career.
tuttigym
tuttigym
July 12th, 2023 at 12:49:06 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Years ago, I had a roommate who was constantly broke. We agreed he could pay $50 a week instead of the $200 a month we had previously agreed to. It worked well for both of us as he paid me every week and I had spending money. I had a sweetheart deal. The rent was $350, including everything but electricity. After almost two years, he sits me down and complains about how he had overpaid me almost $300 and thinks he should be entitled to a free month. I told him our original $ 200-a-month contract had been voided and a new $ 50-a-week contract was in place. He wasn't happy but a similar situation would have cost him double, or more. He was going away for two weeks and I agreed not to charge him rent during the time he was away, as a one-time compromise.
He was a waiter at the Rainbow Room when it didn't interfere with his fledgling acting career.
link to original post

Accusatory statements are truly ignorant and sophomoric. Classic billryan. Cheating your roommate who apparently did not know 2nd grade arithmetic is a great thing for the forum members to know about you. CLASSIC billryan. You are indeed a prince of a guy.

tuttigym
darkoz
darkoz
July 13th, 2023 at 7:53:47 AM permalink
Bringing a handicapped person to an amusement park.

Or conversely, renting a wheelchair in the park and acting handicapped although I myself never did that. It's a bit below my standards. However I actually did sprain my ankle on one vacation so did the whole wheelchair rental legit.

At any rate most amusement parks will fast pass or send To the front of the line handicapped people including mentally handicapped.

And they don't wish to split the families so bringing along a handicapped person (or acting handicapped) is a great front of the line fast pass for the whole family.

I happen to have a family friend with an autistic child so I pay for them to come along and my whole group gets skipped to front of the line.

And I feel good about giving some joy to an autistic child and a family friend. (And yes she knows why she gets such royal treatment and is fine with it).

At any rate not sure if that qualifies as an advantage play per se but it can save time and money and the discomfort of long lines on your vacation.
rxwine
rxwine
July 13th, 2023 at 8:12:08 AM permalink

Bringing a handicapped person to an amusement park.

Or conversely, renting a wheelchair in the park and acting handicapped although I myself never did that. It's a bit below my standards. However I actually did sprain my ankle on one vacation so did the whole wheelchair rental legit.

At any rate most amusement parks will fast pass or send To the front of the line handicapped people including mentally handicapped.

And they don't wish to split the families so bringing along a handicapped person (or acting handicapped) is a great front of the line fast pass for the whole family.

I happen to have a family friend with an autistic child so I pay for them to come along and my whole group gets skipped to front of the line.

And I feel good about giving some joy to an autistic child and a family friend. (And yes she knows why she gets such royal treatment and is fine with it).

At any rate not sure if that qualifies as an advantage play per se but it can save time and money and the discomfort of long lines on your vacation.
link to original post

That reminds me when I was going into a buffet on Veteran's Day in Vegas. There was a guy in line with all kinds of military patches on, but the requirement was to bring the VA Id or military card. They wouldn't let him in at first, but finally relented. But frankly i didn't believe he was one either.

I don't know that the manager really believed it either, but I think he felt just too uncomfortable challenging the guy. And all the people in line are observing everything. I couldn't do this sort of AP play.

On another note, you have a lot of people possibly scamming their "helper" animals so they bring them anywhere.
gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
Thanked by
Talldude90
July 13th, 2023 at 8:20:10 AM permalink
As should be obvious, the discussion about charities and corruption was split off into a different thread by request of a member. If you are looking for that discussion go here: Are charities corrupt?
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
  • Jump to: