Thread Rating:

FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
May 21st, 2019 at 6:34:08 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

AH. Your doctors sound pretty rubbish!

It is only in deference to SOOPOO, and perhaps other posters, that I say "doctor". My preferred term is Practitioner of the Black and Evil Arts of Medicine" I'm in Florida where it is virtually impossible to bring a malpractice claim.

Quote:

If you needed to, and succeeded in, losing 90 - 100 lbs

Well, I needed to lose more than that; grossly obese, diabetic and unable to walk more than the sixteen feet to my mailbox. I did not, however, attempt to lose weight, I merely regained consciousness about 80 pounds lighter than when the ambulance took me to the ER and lost about 20 pounds during various surgeries and "rehab" procedures.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
May 21st, 2019 at 8:21:22 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Well, I needed to lose more than that; grossly obese, diabetic and unable to walk more than the sixteen feet to my mailbox. I did not, however, attempt to lose weight, I merely regained consciousness about 80 pounds lighter than when the ambulance took me to the ER and lost about 20 pounds during various surgeries and "rehab" procedures.

At your level I wouldn't even worry about lifting weights or gaining muscle. If you can't walk more than sixteen feet, work on that. Try for seventeen feet next time. Then eighteen feet. Then eventually the end of the block and back. You need to work on mobility first and foremost, as well as your diet. I don't mean "go on a diet," I just mean "diet" as in the food you are eating. Don't "go on" a diet. Change your diet.

And watch this for inspiration.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 21st, 2019 at 8:36:11 AM permalink
Quote:

. If you can't walk more than sixteen feet, work on that.

Oh, that was before my ordeal. Now I often use a stroller but I can manage several hundred feet if its level.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
May 21st, 2019 at 9:19:31 AM permalink

AH. Your doctors sound pretty rubbish!
To be honest, they may not be the best peeps to go to for dietary or exercise advice, if only because they should be referring out for such things.

If you needed to, and succeeded in, losing 90 - 100 lbs, you will have intrinsically reduced your exercise, as you were no longer having to carry that burden. So, no surprise you lost muscle.

Your medical condition sounds serious enough that you should not come here for best advice.

I wish you well.

sounds like he had 3 doctors give him no or bad advice. He might get some here that are better than what he has received so far.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
TigerWu
TigerWu
May 21st, 2019 at 9:19:55 AM permalink

Oh, that was before my ordeal. Now I often use a stroller but I can manage several hundred feet if its level.

Right on. Just keep on trucking. Go for longer distances, and eventually without the stroller. If you do nothing but walk for the rest of your life as a form of exercise, you'll still be better off than most of the people in America.
GWAE
GWAE
May 21st, 2019 at 9:21:23 AM permalink
I am thinking about doing the intermittent fasting that a lot of people do. I think it is something like don't eat after 8pm and don't eat again until lunch. I haven't looked much into it so I may be wrong. My question is, I thought everyone has always said to eat a breakfast to get your metabolism going in the morning? Is this not believed anymore? or do people do something else in the morning to get it going?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
May 21st, 2019 at 10:14:56 AM permalink
There are a lot of approaches to IF. However, I think it's the nuts.

I'm not really sure about eating first thing kicking up your metabolism. I've heard that too. Some people don't believe it, maybe some still do. The main thing to me is, I'm just not very hungry when I wake up. Even if I've been fasting for 24+ hours, those first few hours in the morning are easy. Easy is good.

Coffee suppresses my appetite even more and I guess maybe it kicks up your metabolism. IDK. I like it tho.

The top proponent of IF is Dr. Jason Fung. He has tons of videos on youtube. Some are short, some are long, some are interviews, some are lectures to other scienticians. Just watch whatever type appeals to you.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jason+fung+intermittent+fasting
TigerWu
TigerWu
May 21st, 2019 at 10:30:34 AM permalink
I have to eat breakfast. I'm starving by the time I wake up in the morning. It's probably my biggest meal of the day.

If I skip any meal, it would have to be lunch, but then I would have to eat a big, early dinner. And have a couple snacks along the way.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 21st, 2019 at 10:41:24 AM permalink
Some people advise a complete 'meal reversal' such as eat like a King at breakfast, a Prince at lunch and a Pauper at dinner. Many adopt a siesta lifestyle.

Many adhere to the 5 days/2 days fasting routine.

Calorie restriction does provide benefits, but often melatonin supplements at night do the same thing.

nothing white at night, ie no white bread or potatoes past six o'clock seems to help some people.

A glass of water or tea before a meal or a bowl of soup as a first course usually results in a voluntary and unnoticed 20% reduction in calories.

the important thing is to obtain lifestyle improvements, not just "better numbers".

the 4:00pm tea time and the 5:00pm Orange Hour or Green Hour definitely helps to reduce caloric intake. Cointreau is orange; Absinthe is green. Even the Italian aperitif, Limoncello, helps, though not as much.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Thanked by
petroglyph
May 21st, 2019 at 11:04:12 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I have to eat breakfast. I'm starving by the time I wake up in the morning. It's probably my biggest meal of the day.

If I skip any meal, it would have to be lunch, but then I would have to eat a big, early dinner. And have a couple snacks along the way.

Yeah, people just seem to be different. This might be related to the fact that when I wake up, I feel like Han Solo after they turned him into a giant fudgecicle. Takes a few hours for me to wake up.

However, I'm 99.9% sure you could eat a big breakfast, eat lunch, then skip dinner.

IF is like many things. Seems hard. Maybe it actually is hard at first. But it's really just a mental barrier. Our ancestors didn't have convenience stores and drive throughs every 20 feet, nor pantries full of tasty snacks. It's totally normal to go a few hours with eating. We are just spoiled little babies.

So once you get used to it, it's quite easy. 24 hours without food seemed like some kind of crazy endurance challenge to me at first. Now I might do it by accident.

It will be harder if you eat lots off carby junk food though, especially sugar.
GWAE
GWAE
May 21st, 2019 at 11:18:47 AM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Yeah, people just seem to be different. This might be related to the fact that when I wake up, I feel like Han Solo after they turned him into a giant fudgecicle. Takes a few hours for me to wake up.

However, I'm 99.9% sure you could eat a big breakfast, eat lunch, then skip dinner.

IF is like many things. Seems hard. Maybe it actually is hard at first. But it's really just a mental barrier. Our ancestors didn't have convenience stores and drive throughs every 20 feet, nor pantries full of tasty snacks. It's totally normal to go a few hours with eating. We are just spoiled little babies.

So once you get used to it, it's quite easy. 24 hours without food seemed like some kind of crazy endurance challenge to me at first. Now I might do it by accident.

It will be harder if you eat lots off carby junk food though, especially sugar.

It doesnt seem hard to me. Almost everyday my last meal is at 6 and then I grab a small snack at 8ish when the kids go to bed. I have coffee in the morning but I use cream so would have to give that up. I wonder if IF would still be ok with my 35 calories of creamer. I don't always eat breakfast but I almost always have a snack around 10. Lunch is usually around 1230 so I just really have to quit that snack. Some days I will make eggs in the morning though so I guess those days would be different.

I have noticed that on days when I eat breakfast I am starving when it comes to lunch. Someone told me in the past it is because the breakfast started metabolism and 5 hours later your body is needing food. No idea if that is correct but I have always stuck with it.

Summer time is the toughest for me. We go to a lot of picnics so doing keto is going to be very tough so I am trying to find out a better method for myself. I am thinking about IF and light eating during the week. Maybe try to keep it under 1500 calories and then on the weekend do IF but then not worry about what I am eating on those days we go somewhere. I have bascially given up POP so I am not worried about that anymore. I am shocked that I have been able to do it. I had one the other day at dinner and only drank 1 and a little of a second glass. Normally I would have had 3-4 in 1 sitting.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
petroglyph
May 21st, 2019 at 11:33:16 AM permalink
I have never been a big eater but I really can't imagine eating three times a day. I generally eat either lunch or dinner but rarely both. Most days is one full meal and few chips or pretzels for a snack. I think if I ate twice a day I would become obese. Admittedly, I eat like crap and have no plans to change.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 21st, 2019 at 11:43:46 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Admittedly, I eat like crap and have no plans to change.

Most people tend to be the same way. Habits are a major force. Even the famed advantages of a Mediterranean Diet evaporate for those who make geographic changes. I knew one woman from Finland who met an American online, he visited Finland, she married him on the spot and moved to Texas, but her weight changed when everything was BBQ.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
May 21st, 2019 at 11:55:16 AM permalink
It's not hard to change your diet once you decide to. Admittedly, it took a major health scare to get me to make.changes, and some people think I still eat for Shiite, but I've greatly improved mine in the last two years. On the hundred point scale, I may have improved from a ten to a twenty, working on twenty-five.
I've been experimenting with this Beyond Meat plant based protein. Used it in a lasagna and it tasted like beef, only much more money.
It taste better than ground chicken or turkey. Had it on tacos and a burger and it was fine.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
May 21st, 2019 at 12:03:16 PM permalink
Yeah, GWAE. IF is great because of the flexibility it gives you. I recently went out to dinner and had maybe my worst meal in a year. Sausage roll, fish n chips and a giant dessert. I just didn't eat for about 40 hours after that, and really I felt fine. Granted, I'm quite used to fasting. I also got a little bit of sugar hanger, but I've delt with it before and it is just a minor annoyance.

If you go easy on the really bad carbs, like sugar and chips, when you stuff it down at a pic-i-nic, you might quickly find that you have no real desire to eat for 24 hours or so anyway. You've just been doing it out of routine.

I like the end of a fast to be in the evening, personally, because it's easier to stretch it out. Even if you really wanna eat, you just have to make it to bed. Then several hours of sleeping. Then you wake up, brush your teeth, etc. Hold out at least a bit more. It's always easy to add 8-10 hours.

I have never been a big eater but I really can't imagine eating three times a day. I generally eat either lunch or dinner but rarely both. Most days is one full meal and few chips or pretzels for a snack. I think if I ate twice a day I would become obese. Admittedly, I eat like crap and have no plans to change.

And you look above average for a guy your age (early to mid 80s I think?) in spite of living off M&Ms and smokes.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
May 21st, 2019 at 12:08:48 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

It's not hard to change your diet once you decide to. Admittedly, it took a major health scare to get me to make.changes, and some people think I still eat for Shiite, but I've greatly improved mine in the last two years. On the hundred point scale, I may have improved from a ten to a twenty, working on twenty-five.
I've been experimenting with this Beyond Meat plant based protein. Used it in a lasagna and it tasted like beef, only much more money.
It taste better than ground chicken or turkey. Had it on tacos and a burger and it was fine.

For the most part, these things are a slow process. At least for me. Be it diet, fitness, mental health, whatever.

When someone flips a switch and goes from Dom Deloise to Lou Ferrigno in 8 months it's a great story. But I suspect most of us are often taking two steps forward and one step back over a long period.

GWAE
GWAE
May 21st, 2019 at 1:30:16 PM permalink

Yeah, GWAE. IF is great because of the flexibility it gives you. I recently went out to dinner and had maybe my worst meal in a year. Sausage roll, fish n chips and a giant dessert. I just didn't eat for about 40 hours after that, and really I felt fine. Granted, I'm quite used to fasting. I also got a little bit of sugar hanger, but I've delt with it before and it is just a minor annoyance.

If you go easy on the really bad carbs, like sugar and chips, when you stuff it down at a pic-i-nic, you might quickly find that you have no real desire to eat for 24 hours or so anyway. You've just been doing it out of routine.

I like the end of a fast to be in the evening, personally, because it's easier to stretch it out. Even if you really wanna eat, you just have to make it to bed. Then several hours of sleeping. Then you wake up, brush your teeth, etc. Hold out at least a bit more. It's always easy to add 8-10 hours.

And you look above average for a guy your age (early to mid 80s I think?) in spite of living off M&Ms and smokes.

Is a daily calorie count essentially the same as a roulette 10 min session, in terms that it really doesnt matter? If need 2k calories a day to maintain, if I eat 4k cLories today can I just go 48 hours without food and be the same as if I ate 2k each day? Or is it more complicated than that because your body needs a steady stream of food?
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
May 21st, 2019 at 1:57:00 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Is a daily calorie count essentially the same as a roulette 10 min session, in terms that it really doesnt matter? If need 2k calories a day to maintain, if I eat 4k cLories today can I just go 48 hours without food and be the same as if I ate 2k each day? Or is it more complicated than that because your body needs a steady stream of food?

I'm not a dietician, but sessions make a difference in this respect.
Your brain and muscles require a steady stream of glucose.... the course of consumed pizza input to the glucose drip feed to our muscles is the tricky bit involving temporary storage as body fat. Imagine eating double at weekends and then going to work starving hungry on Monday and Tuesday. Not fun.

If you cram 48 hours worth of calories in your body, it will shove what it can into fat stores and be somewhat inefficient, because it can afford to be. On the second day, your body will try and maybe struggle to pull the calories from the fat cells. You could very likely feel inordinately hungry making you inclined to eat some more on day two.
Why put your metabolism on a roller coaster feeling gorged then hungry.
Eat frequently and steadily. Get an 8 inch plate and eat every meal from that, as often as you want. Especially unlimited fruit and green veg.
Maybe fast one day a week, if the hunger from that doesn't cause you to snack extra and the hungry days don't end up being wretched.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
May 21st, 2019 at 3:55:15 PM permalink
Baby steps.
When you decide you are going to lose weight, you will. It can be gradual, just as long as you head in the right direction. Lose 2 1/2 ounces a day and it adds up to 50 pounds in a year.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 21st, 2019 at 6:21:57 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I know several people who are very successful in losing weight and keeping it off, by eating 6 times a day, about every 2-3 hours. However, no one meal is, in volume, bigger than the size of their closed fist, and it's mostly healthy food. You might be successful at doing this.

A protein shake. A hamburger patty. A chicken breast. A cup of vegetables. If you're doing carbs...An apple. A small potato. A cup of rice. One slice of 7 grain bread. Just the one item at a time.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
May 21st, 2019 at 7:18:40 PM permalink

I once read that the "diet" drinks, like Diet Pepsi and Diet Coke, actually taste better as alcohol mixers versus the non-diet versions. I tried it out a few times and was surprised to find it actually DID taste better. The artificial sweeteners cut through the alcohol a little better and make it a more "mild" drink.

I went back to regular Coke for mixers, but I just thought that was an interesting taste test.

Diet anything is horrible. I always love when fat people order a big mac, large fries, nuggets, and a LARGE DIET.

I normally drink coke. A while back I saw some small bottles of Mexican Coke that is supposedly sweetened using cane sugar, thinking I would like it better. Well, I didn't like it at all. It seems that they have me hooked on this high fructose corn syrup. * Takes a sip of Coke from my mini can.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
billryan
billryan
May 21st, 2019 at 7:39:21 PM permalink
A bartender turned me on to using diet coke in mixed drinks. Back when I was chugging iced teas, I really liked the taste.
I don't drink much soda, but when I do it's usually diet coke.
vegas
vegas
May 21st, 2019 at 8:08:31 PM permalink
While on keto I eat one meal a day, usually around 2pm. When I wake up in the morning I often go for a long walk. I am rarely hungry on keto. I also drink lots of water all day long.
50-50-90 Rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability you'll get it wrong
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
May 22nd, 2019 at 2:07:13 AM permalink
There is a group on this forum I know personally who are all into this keto crap as of late. I like to call them Keto f*gs. I save the name keto pedo for the group keto leader. I better not say his name since BBB is reading.

Rigondeaux, I'm glad to see you are doing so well with all your cult-like hippy diet.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
ZenKinG
ZenKinG
  • Threads: 56
May 22nd, 2019 at 2:14:35 AM permalink
FASTING the GOAT. What you eat is vastly over rated at least in terms of gaining weight or not gaining weight. I have been eating basically fast food for 2 years now and ive stayed the same weight if not lost weight. Of course I still eat lots of fruit and what not but mostly my diet since moving to vegas has been 95% takeout lol and I think I still look healthy. At the end of the day it really comes down to calories in vs calories out. I still recommend fasting because contrary to popular belief fasting is not just about losing weight or keeping off weight. There's been tremendous research done that I've listed way back in this thread if anyone was taking notes that will lead to a much healthier life by simply incorporating some variation of fasting into your life.

3 meals a day has been proven to be B.S in almost every way in terms of being healthy. Also the whole 'starvation mode' bs as well when people try to criticize fasting. If everyone fasted at least 20 hours a day(sleep counts) and ate basically just one meal a day everyone would be much healthier. People mostly eat out of habit and think they're hungry but they're actually not, it's just that you trained your body to be hungry and those little random hunger pangs are actually not true hunger. Once you start eating one meal a day or at least one big meal and a small low glycemic meal throughout the day such as some fruit or lowfat yogurt etc, you will magically not get those little hunger pangs anymore in your stomach that you were getting every 8 hours before and that's where this whole society has gone wrong. They were conditioned to eat all day every day and that if you don't you're magically going to die on the floor and 'starvation mode' will strike and youll die of hunger because you skipped a meal LOL. Give me a break.

I especially find it funny if some overweight person claims they're going to die or pass out if they dont get their morning breakfast in or if they skip a meal. They don't realize they could go 6 months at the least without a meal and they wouldnt die. Our bodies store fat as a backup source of energy for a reason. Fat is there as BACKUP if food becomes scarce to be used as fuel. Most people never get to tap into their fat stores because they're too busy burning glucose their whole lives by constantly eating all the damn time. Start fasting and you'll realize how much more you will appreciate food and how much better it tastes. You also wont have to go through your day prepping food or always thinking about food and you will actually get things done. Your sympathetic nervous system will be active all day instead of shutting it down 3 times a day after a meal allowing your parasympathetic nervous system to take control of your body and making you feel lethargic and wanting to take naps all day long. Is that a way to go through your day, sleeping on your work desk at lunch time? Bringing tupperware to work? Why do you think so many people get headaches all the time? They're eating big meals and then trying to work at the same time when biologically and naturally after a meal your body is prepping to relax and go to bed and by forcing it to work after eating just causes problems.

Thank me later kids.
Last edited by: ZenKinG on May 22, 2019
Any private business open to the PUBLIC (ie. droned out casinos) cannot have a criminal trespass enforced against an individual without GOOD CAUSE (Disruptive or Disorderly conduct). You will never go to prison for being thrown out of a casino for legal advantage play and then returning because it's simply unconstitutional 'as applied' to the individual. 'As applied' constitutional issues must FIRST be raised in DISTRICT COURT (trial court) to have it thrown out. You CANNOT raise it on APPEAL This is the best kept secret in the world of casinos not just in Vegas but everywhere in the country. Thank me later.
DRich
DRich
May 22nd, 2019 at 4:42:47 AM permalink

I do feel mid 80s even if I don't look it.

I am in the Caribbean right now and the price of cigarettes has climbed dramatically since the hurricane 18 months ago. I used to be able to get Marlboro Lights for $17, they are now $25 a carton. I may have to cut my smoking by 33%, but I won't since I just bought five cartons yesterday.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 22nd, 2019 at 5:43:01 AM permalink

. I may have to cut my smoking by 33%, but I won't since I just bought five cartons yesterday.

Oh, just a quick three day trip there, I guess.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 22nd, 2019 at 8:35:05 AM permalink

I do feel mid 80s even if I don't look it.

I am in the Caribbean right now and the price of cigarettes has climbed dramatically since the hurricane 18 months ago. I used to be able to get Marlboro Lights for $17, they are now $25 a carton. I may have to cut my smoking by 33%, but I won't since I just bought five cartons yesterday.

Maybe you don't want to answer this, but how do you get that quantity through customs? Last I was there, I could only bring in 1 carton. Has the rule changed?
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
billryan
billryan
May 22nd, 2019 at 9:36:46 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Maybe you don't want to answer this, but how do you get that quantity through customs? Last I was there, I could only bring in 1 carton. Has the rule changed?

The first 200 cigarettes used to be duty free, but you can bring in more. You just pay the duty on them. In states like NY, it is still a great bargain.
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
beachbumbabsRigondeaux
May 22nd, 2019 at 11:17:30 AM permalink

You might not want to bum a cigarette off of DRich.😂😂😁
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
May 22nd, 2019 at 12:00:59 PM permalink

I don't reckon he's bringing em back. He gon pound all 5 like a proper gent.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
DRich
DRich
May 22nd, 2019 at 12:44:36 PM permalink

I don't know if it has changed but it used to be two cartons per person tax free. I am here with my wives so we could bring back six cartons. I believe it is also two liters of booze each. I am bringing back four bottles of MaDouDou.

gordonm888
Administrator
gordonm888
  • Threads: 60
May 22nd, 2019 at 1:11:42 PM permalink

64 ounces of water (or liquid) weighs about 4 pounds.

Actually, a gallon of water (64 ounces) weighs about 8 pounds.
So many better men, a few of them friends, are dead. And a thousand thousand slimy things live on, and so do I.
TigerWu
TigerWu
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
May 22nd, 2019 at 1:45:24 PM permalink
Quote: gordonm888

Actually, a gallon of water (64 ounces) weighs about 8 pounds.

A gallon is 128 ounces.
OnceDear
OnceDear
May 22nd, 2019 at 2:33:13 PM permalink

A gallon is 128 ounces.

I remember the chant from infant's school. "A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter"... so that's 20oz
Now, in the UK, we get 8 pints to a gallon, so 8 x 20oz = 160 oz = 10lb
But IIRC, you Americans like to get more gallons in your fuel tank, so your gallon is a skimpy 83..3% of an Imperial Gallon
So... US liquid gallon is about 8.33 lb or ( unless you guys friigged with 16oz in a lb ) 160 * 0.833 = 133 oz

Says google

Life's so much easier today.
1Litre of water weighs 1 kilogram and 1,000 litres weighs 1 tonne and fits in 1 cubic metre...... All around the world. Even, so I'm told, in Canada.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
Thanked by
RS
May 22nd, 2019 at 2:36:28 PM permalink

I remember the chant from infant's school. "A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter"... so that's 20oz
But IIRC, you Americans like to get more gallons in your fuel tank, so your gallon is a skimpy 83..3% of an Imperial Gallon
So... US liquid gallon is about 8.33 lb or ( unless you guys friigged with 16oz in a lb ) 160 * 0.833 = 133 oz

Says google

1Litre of water weighs 1 kilogram and 1,000 litres weighs 1 tonne and fits in 1 cubic metre...... All around the world. Even, so I'm told, in Canada.

FWIW it’s called a liter in freedom units,
Last edited by: mcallister3200 on May 22, 2019
OnceDear
OnceDear
May 22nd, 2019 at 2:47:26 PM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Says google

FWIW it’s called a liter in freedom units,

I did consider running my post through google translate for you guys, but I asserted my allegiance to my European cousins, for a change. It's their system, so their spelling prevailed....
TigerWu
TigerWu
May 22nd, 2019 at 3:08:28 PM permalink
Everybody complaining about the s***ty healthcare system in our country... hardly surprising, considering we can't even measure water or distances correctly. Funny thing is the military uses the metric system AND has "socialized" healthcare.
Face
Administrator
Face
May 22nd, 2019 at 3:22:55 PM permalink

Even, so I'm told, in Canada.

Might wanna check those volume measurements north of the Medicine Line.

Soundsgooddoesn'twork.gif ;)

But for real, "#1 superpower" and "non metric" are mutually exclusive. Base10 or gtfo. 16"oc is 40cm. Figure it out.
OnceDear
OnceDear
May 22nd, 2019 at 3:44:39 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Might wanna check those volume measurements north of the Medicine Line.

Soundsgooddoesn'twork.gif ;)

But for real, "#1 superpower" and "non metric" are mutually exclusive. Base10 or gtfo. 16"oc is 40cm. Figure it out.

http://edition.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/

Blames the use of 'English units' by Lockheed Martin. Fails to observe that in England, we use metric units for engineering projects.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17350-nasa-criticised-for-sticking-to-imperial-units/
Face
Administrator
Face
Thanked by
beachbumbabsOnceDear
May 22nd, 2019 at 4:52:38 PM permalink

http://edition.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric.02/

Blames the use of 'English units' by Lockheed Martin. Fails to observe that in England, we use metric units for engineering projects.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17350-nasa-criticised-for-sticking-to-imperial-units/

Horses@#$ of the highest order.

No doubt there'll be a cost. Cost of conversion, and the not-to-be-forgotten cost of increased mistakes. But that's SHORT TERM. 2.5 generations it'll be over, and a '78 s@#$box of a smog era 'Vette will actual be worth something we'll stop being the stick, and being sticked, in everyone's gd craw. The ENTIRE population of your fair country lives within rock chuckin' range. How much production is being lost every single day due to this grab bag of pick-from-the-hat conversion? How many hundreds of dollars have I spent $0.17USD at a time because the 14mm was really a 0.5" and I just reefed it all to hell and back? Imperial motor in a metric chassis, now you got TWO MORTGAGES to the fraking Snap-On man. And the soup! You know how much soup gets ruined?

Figure it oot.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
May 22nd, 2019 at 6:22:12 PM permalink

Says google

Yup, living in America is so difficult, I don’t know what I’d do if 1 kilogram of water wasn’t 1 liter. I’m in the water moving and weighing and lifting business, just as all Americans. This stuff is super VITAL!!!!!! Lulz.

England just mad because they went from ruling the world to fitting on a small island the size of Michigan.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
May 22nd, 2019 at 6:30:18 PM permalink

So... US liquid gallon is about 8.33 lb or ( unless you guys friigged with 16oz in a lb ) 160 * 0.833 = 133 oz.

No, it's still 16 ounces in a pound, and ounces of mass are the same in the USA as they are in the UK (exactly (453.59237 divided by 16) grams).

However, I am under the impression that liquid ounces are different.
The versions I heard were, one ounce of liquid is:
UK - the volume of water weighing 1 ounce at 62 degrees Fahrenheit
USA - 231/128 cubic inches, or (231/128 x 2.543) ml
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Thanked by
RS
May 22nd, 2019 at 7:08:24 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Says google

Yup, living in America is so difficult, I don’t know what I’d do if 1 kilogram of water wasn’t 1 liter. I’m in the water moving and weighing and lifting business, just as all Americans. This stuff is super VITAL!!!!!! Lulz.

England just mad because they went from ruling the world to fitting on a small island the size of Michigan.

Yeah. But wouldn't it be so much better if we used units where, like a short person was 1.6 units and a tall person was 1.9. And a cool day was 18 and a warm one was like 25.

The metric system is fine for science or whatever but absolutely retarded for normal day to day life.

That's cuz it was made up by some guy in an arm chair. He had no concept of practicalities and thought it was a good idea to use the circumference of the Earth as a base for measuring door frames.

Pretty dumb of all the other countries to fall for such a silly scheme.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
May 22nd, 2019 at 7:24:15 PM permalink

When someone flips a switch and goes from Dom Deloise to Lou Ferrigno in 8 months it's a great story. But I suspect most of us are often taking two steps forward and one step back over a long period.

You ever hear how they hire fitness trainer people to get fat and then lose it for those ad campaigns for weight loss products? It's basically an acting job for many of these products. That's what I've heard anyway.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 23rd, 2019 at 2:11:54 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

It's basically an acting job for many of these products. That's what I've heard anyway.

I think you've heard wrong. Those who are fitness freaks are not likely to change their spots just for some gig. One actress put on weight for a certain role and spent the rest of her life trying to take it off.
OnceDear
OnceDear
May 23rd, 2019 at 2:52:41 PM permalink

I think you've heard wrong. Those who are fitness freaks are not likely to change their spots just for some gig. One actress put on weight for a certain role and spent the rest of her life trying to take it off.

Like this?
billryan
billryan
May 23rd, 2019 at 3:14:13 PM permalink
Back in NY, I had a friend who auditioned for a role and was told he'd get the part if he could fit into a suit that was way too small for him. He pretty much lived on flavored water for several weeks and went from 180 to 150 in about a month and a half. I think the job paid something like $15 per show and he lost some work just to do the shows. Show folks are very different than normal folks.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
May 23rd, 2019 at 4:04:03 PM permalink
Slip sliding away . . . the closer to your destination the more you go slip sliding away:
Gobbled my Meals on Wheels chicken legs and sweet potatoes. Great stuff!

Then bolted out the door with all my electronic sleep and oxygen equipment for an appointment at the sleep doc even though I don't know if I still need it or derive any benefit from it at all. All that weight loss may have changed things.

From there its a short trek to Walmart so even though Food Bank is tomorrow, I did some grocery shopping. Passed the discounted bakery items and bought six apple fritters. knew I should not do it. Knew it. Did it anyway.

All that tasteless lentil mush so I will lose weight and I ruin things with apple fritters!
billryan
billryan
May 23rd, 2019 at 4:11:27 PM permalink
Have you looked into edible crickets? There is a Shark Tank episode you might find useful.
  • Jump to: