Thread Rating:

OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
July 22nd, 2018 at 6:49:14 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Is creamed spinach and green beans healthy? Probably not but maybe?

I think any foodstuff that is green is healthy.... Except maybe chicken and maybe sausages.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
July 22nd, 2018 at 7:05:45 PM permalink

Yes. Perfect.

The fat is good.
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
July 22nd, 2018 at 7:16:17 PM permalink

Almost all vegetables are very healthy. Ditch the cream, use some olive oil and balsamic instead. Even add some grated Parmesan and basil to make it truly delicious.

Make sure you’re buying all your vegetables (and everything else) fresh. By most accounts, you don’t have to buy organic fruits and vegetables as long as you rinse them well. Meat is a different story...definitely buy free range / organic.

Eating good food will make your grocery shopping much easier. You get to ignore 90% of the store (all the aisles) where all the canned/boxed/frozen crap is. Don’t buy anything that has an ingredient list, 90% of what you buy should have no label.
It’s all about making that GTA
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
July 22nd, 2018 at 7:20:45 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Ok just had my swan song dinner. We went to Mexican, now I am going to do an 18 hour fast and start keto tomorrow for lunch. I am going to post in here about my progress.

Awesome. This is exactly what I'd suggest.

You might feel light headed and stuff but that's your carb addiction messing with your insulin. It's impossible to really need food after 18 hours unless you have some condition.

One good thing about junk food addiction vs heroin is that you can fix the underlying condition and shift to healthy alternatives. As I said, kill the gut microbes clamouring for sugar. Your approach should accomplish this.

The human palate can be reshaped. There is no such thing as good for you heroin. But you are going to be eating things like creamed spinach, grilled salmon, fried eggs with melted cheese and Avacado, salami, hamburger covered with awesome toppings, sauteed mushrooms, etc.

It's easy AF to reorient yourself to these foods.

Gone are the dark ages where dieters were supposed to eat rice cakes and cabbage soup.
Ace2
Ace2
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
July 22nd, 2018 at 9:17:12 PM permalink
Don’t eat salami. It’s as bad or worse than a hot dog.

Processed (especially cured) meats are one of the few things on the “never eat for any reason” list.

When you see a meat product that doesn’t even require refrigeration, it should be obvious that it’s not fit for human consumption
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
July 22nd, 2018 at 10:03:09 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Don’t eat salami. It’s as bad or worse than a hot dog.

Processed (especially cured) meats are one of the few things on the “never eat for any reason” list.

When you see a meat product that doesn’t even require refrigeration, it should be obvious that it’s not fit for human consumption

If he is going to do keto, the important thing is he gets on keto. It will improve his health tremendously.

Later on, he might decide to go further and cut out vegetable oils, cured meats or just eat grass fed meat or whatever.

I'm not a salamiologist but I really doubt that occasionally having it is all that bad. Our bodies can deal with a lot of Crap.

First, switch from a disastrous diet that will make you an invalid to an overall healthy diet. Then worry about fine tuning.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
July 22nd, 2018 at 10:10:13 PM permalink
Isn’t bacon cured though? Or was my brother lying to me about bacon not needing to be cooked?
Ace2
Ace2
July 22nd, 2018 at 10:15:33 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

If he is going to do keto, the important thing is he gets on keto. It will improve his health tremendously.

Later on, he might decide to go further and cut out vegetable oils, cured meats or just eat grass fed meat or whatever.

I'm not a salamiologist but I really doubt that occasionally having it is all that bad. Our bodies can deal with a lot of Crap.

First, switch from a disastrous diet that will make you an invalid to an overall healthy diet. Then worry about fine tuning.

Okay but my main point is :

Don’t do any diet, Keto or otherwise. Diets don’t work, and are usually unhealthy.

You must change your lifestyle...the way you shop, cook, eat, exercise. A big part of it is just dedicating more time (and money) to eating well, which for some reason seems to be a big challenge for most Americans. I’m assuming you’re American.

PS to RS. Yes bacon is cured (smoked) at least in USA
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
July 22nd, 2018 at 10:22:11 PM permalink

Isn’t bacon cured though? Or was my brother lying to me about bacon not needing to be cooked?

If improperly handled it can still carry some pretty bad bacteria. Smithfield is now owned by the Chinese, for what that is worth.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
Thanked by
RSRogerKint
July 22nd, 2018 at 11:09:12 PM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Okay but my main point is :

Don’t do any diet, Keto or otherwise. Diets don’t work, and are usually unhealthy.

You must change your lifestyle...the way you shop, cook, eat, exercise. A big part of it is just dedicating more time (and money) to eating well, which for some reason seems to be a big challenge for most Americans. I’m assuming you’re American.

PS to RS. Yes bacon is cured (smoked) at least in USA

Set your ego aside.

The keto diet is not only very healthy, it is a long term lifestyle change for many people.

If he does it, the sugar craving microbes in his gut will die. He will stop craving Pepsi, taco bell and potato chips all the time. Inflammation will reduce throughout his body. Many of his health indicators will improve. He will feel and think better.

There are tons of keto success stories. I am one. I know others. I've researched it a lot. Simply go on the keto Reddit for mountains of examples. It's not at all akin to something like the cabbage soup diet. Those are calorie restriction diets and its true they usually fail. This is, in fact, making a lifestyle change.

It might not be the absolutely perfect diet, but I think it is the best diet for transitioning from junk food addiction to healthy eating long term. Because junk food addiction is largely sugar and carb addiction. Many people agree including doctors who see great success in their patients.

It's what he is doing. Don't try to derail him just so you can get a self esteem boost about how much stuff you know.

If he succesfully gets into keto it will be like jumping from a burning building into a swimming pool. Once he is in the pool, he can worry about the chlorine level.
Last edited by: Rigondeaux on Jul 23, 2018
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
July 23rd, 2018 at 12:57:52 AM permalink
Dinner tonight. Chorizo and ground beef cooked in a pan with mushrooms, broccoli, ginger and parsley in olive oil and balsamic. Aged cheese, Avacado and a pickle on the side.

Desert. A few berries. A little dark chocolate. A few Brazil nuts.

Keto. Good for male hormonal health. Good for gut health. Antioxidants.

I don't see how that's some crazy fad food nobody could stick with long term. Throw in some bacon even.

To the best of my knowledge, it is very healthy.

Going from taco bell and a gallon of Pepsi to the above is going to work wonders. Over some time.
BTLWI
BTLWI
  • Threads: 6
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
July 23rd, 2018 at 1:22:52 AM permalink
Quote: BTLWI

Gonna give carnivore a try. Only animal products such as offal, cheese, dairy. Most seem to use ground beef or fatty steaks as their main source of calories. 1.5 - 3 lbs. per day. Throw in some salmon, sardines, and eggs to hit nearly all micronutrients.

No plants.

Going to see how it affects my heart calcium, insulin and cholesterol particle numbers - all of which are dangerously bad right now.

3 months strong. Love it.

All meat, some eggssome cheese. No plants. Down 22 lbs with no eating restrictions at all. If you're hungry you eat. Plenty of nights I smoke some weed and cook and eat a 2.5 lb bag of wings. That's my snack after my standard 20 oz ribeye dinner.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
July 23rd, 2018 at 1:47:33 AM permalink
How are the measurements you were concerned about?
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
July 23rd, 2018 at 8:54:36 AM permalink
Thanks Rig for your support. I am actually excited about starting this. I was talking to my dad last night and was like how hard can this be. I love meat and sometimes the only reason that I have non healthy type stuff is because of the kids or the wife wants sides with dinner. She was going to cook me ribs for dinner tonight and I showed her the bottle of BBQ sauce that had something like 18g of carbs per 2 tablespoons. For dinner tonight I am going to make tunafish wrapped in romaine letturce with some olive oil. I made a huge salad last night so I will have that with ranch dressing. Not sure about a side to go with the tuna yet.

I started 22 minutes ago and had some broccoli with ranch for a snack. 2g of carbs in so far.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
July 23rd, 2018 at 10:34:23 AM permalink

Bacon needs to be cooked. Raw bacon can (and often does) contain roundworm eggs,.that are kiled by cooking. Curing helps but does not guarantee the worms are gone. Only heating the bacon or other meat to at least 165° internal temperature will do it.

If the worm eggs get in your body, they will have the environment they need to infest you. It's called Trichinosis.

Trichinosis is infection caused by the roundworm Trichinella spiralis or another Trichinella species. Symptoms include diarrhea, abdominal cramps, muscle pain, and fever. People acquire the infection by eating raw or undercooked contaminated meat.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
OnceDeardjatc
July 23rd, 2018 at 10:59:38 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

I think any foodstuff that is green is healthy.... Except maybe chicken and maybe sausages.

I haven't eaten anything green in over 30 years. I even avoid the green M&M because it looks like it might be healthy.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
happahero
July 23rd, 2018 at 11:46:56 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I haven't eaten anything green in over 30 years. I even avoid the green M&M because it looks like it might be healthy.

I drink Heineken. Its's green, right?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
July 23rd, 2018 at 12:15:58 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

I drink Heineken. Its's green, right?

I am not a Heineken fan but I do drink Beck's Light and it is in a green bottle. I always pour it in a glass just to make sure they didn't try to slip me a green beer.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
July 23rd, 2018 at 1:09:04 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Bacon needs to be cooked. Raw bacon can (and often does) contain roundworm eggs,.that are kiled by cooking. Curing helps but does not guarantee the worms are gone. Only heating the bacon or other meat to at least 165° internal temperature will do it.

If the worm eggs get in your body, they will have the environment they need to infest you. It's called Trichinosis.

Trichinosis is infection caused by the roundworm Trichinella spiralis or another Trichinella species. Symptoms include diarrhea, abdominal cramps, muscle pain, and fever. People acquire the infection by eating raw or undercooked contaminated meat.

But, on the bright side, they will make one skinny very quickly.
100% risk of ruin
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
July 23rd, 2018 at 1:10:14 PM permalink
Quote: BTLWI

3 months strong. Love it.

All meat, some eggssome cheese. No plants. Down 22 lbs with no eating restrictions at all. If you're hungry you eat. Plenty of nights I smoke some weed and cook and eat a 2.5 lb bag of wings. That's my snack after my standard 20 oz ribeye dinner.

Did this same thing a while back and lost too much weight too quickly. Had to start eating taters and other veggies again.
100% risk of ruin
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
July 23rd, 2018 at 3:04:14 PM permalink
Quote: vegas

Spinach...yes
Green beans....yes
The cream part...not so much. Too much fat.

Fat is a good thing. Your brain is largely fat, cholesterol is the source for both estrogen and testosterone. Without testosterone you won't maintain much less build muscle mass and nutrients have a tough time entering any cell in the body if there is no testosterone available.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
July 23rd, 2018 at 3:50:28 PM permalink

Chorizo and ground beef with mushrooms, broccoli, ginger and parsley in olive oil and balsamic. Aged cheese, Avacado and a pickle on the side.
Desert. A few berries. A little dark chocolate. A few Brazil nuts.
Keto. Good for male hormonal health. Good for gut health. Antioxidants.
I don't see how that's some crazy fad food nobody could stick with long term. Throw in some bacon even.
To the best of my knowledge, it is very healthy.

It is. Very much so. Congratulations.
RS
RS
Thanked by
RigondeauxOnceDear
July 23rd, 2018 at 4:42:27 PM permalink
I made a nice big 6-egg omelette a few hours ago for breakfast. No mixins, just pure eggs. I think a bug snuck into the pot when I turned around to vape (vaping is keto & healthy, IMO :) ), because I ate something wild and pretty sure that feller wasn’t something I should be eating. I survived though. I threw up but swallowed it, so it doesn’t count. The following bite of the omelette wasn’t that good either and I spit it out. But I ate the rest of the omelette, so I consider it a success. Only thing I mixed in was salt, pepper, and some hot sauce. I think it was red hot. There are still some leftovers though. 6-egg omelette is quite a bit to eat at once.

I’m also drinking these wonky “ice” waters. Pretty sure they cause brain tumors or something because they really f***ed me up the other day. They don’t have any sugar nor carbs, so that’s good. I also got these “favorers” which you mix into water and it makes the water taste less like trash. The one I tried last night was coconut. Also no sugar nor carbs. But I must’a peed out an actual gallon this morning, damn, I’m like a camel. 🐪
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
July 23rd, 2018 at 5:07:25 PM permalink
I thought you hated eggs.

I sort of make my own version of omelets, somewhat copying Mexican dishes like huevos rancheros.

Since I am not a child, I like the eggs with the yolks kind of runny and stuff, rather than all mixed together. So I fry me some eggs.

Now, here is my revolutionary discovery. I break the cheese up and put it in the pan until it is like 2/3 melted. This is way better than totally melting it, especially if you are using good cheese. You get both the full flavor of the cheese and the gooiness of melted cheese.

Then I put whatever on the side, along with the cheese. Usually avacado, and some sort of leftover meat.

Drown in hot sauce as desired.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
July 23rd, 2018 at 5:18:56 PM permalink

Thanks Rig for your support. I am actually excited about starting this. I was talking to my dad last night and was like how hard can this be. I love meat and sometimes the only reason that I have non healthy type stuff is because of the kids or the wife wants sides with dinner. She was going to cook me ribs for dinner tonight and I showed her the bottle of BBQ sauce that had something like 18g of carbs per 2 tablespoons. For dinner tonight I am going to make tunafish wrapped in romaine letturce with some olive oil. I made a huge salad last night so I will have that with ranch dressing. Not sure about a side to go with the tuna yet.

I started 22 minutes ago and had some broccoli with ranch for a snack. 2g of carbs in so far.

I think part of the reason it works is that it's kind of a fun project. You are sifting through a lot of good foods. Sometimes you toss things out, like BBQ sauce or (surprisingly) artichokes. Other times you discover new stuff. You learn new ways of cooking, like keto fried chicken. And all of this tastes GOOD.

I'd also watch some videos, lurk on the keto Reddit, etc. to remain engaged and motivated.

This, as opposed to just dropping a bunch of food you like and crave, being hungry a lot and not reshaping your gut and palate to minimize cravings. That's not an interactive project, it's a chore. Eventually you get sick of doing the chore and stop.

Good job weeding out the BBQ sauce, btw. You have to look out for hidden carbs. But if you get some, it's not a catastrophe. You'll have half a day less in ketosis, or whatever, and you just move on from there.
GWAE
GWAE
July 23rd, 2018 at 5:46:36 PM permalink
question: If you get into ketosis and then have a cheat day for whatever reason, do you go back into ketosis quickly after or is it like starting all over.

So day 1 is officially in the books. I am not sure how many carbs I had today but I think it was a little more than I should have. I didn't realize there were carbs in lettuce. I also don't think I had enough fat today, but maybe I did. I didn't really count that today. My morning weight today was 291.8

Here is my food for the day.
I skipped breakfast because of my small fasting
Lunch I had a salad. It was a boring salad, it was just one of those bagged salads but had some things mixed in. I used 2 tbls of ranch dressing.
For a snack I had broccoli with ranch dressing.
Afternoon snack when I got home was a hard boiled egg.
For Dinner I had salad that I made which had ice berg, spinach, cheese, green peppers, onions, and mushrooms. I also used 3 tbls of ranch. I also made tuna fish with more mayo than I normally use. Usually I am worried about all the extra calories from mayo but today I made it a little more creamy. I also added pickles, onion, and green pepper to the tuna. I put it on romaine lettuce.
For evening snack I had another hard boiled egg.

I actually didn't crave anything today which is weird. My only issue is I currently have a massive head ache that ibuprofen has not made any better. Maybe it is caffeine withdrawl or pepsi withdrawl. Or maybe it is just a headache. My last pepsi was 3pm yesterday so that is 29 hours with no caffeine.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
RS
RS
July 23rd, 2018 at 5:48:11 PM permalink

I thought you hated eggs.

I sort of make my own version of omelets, somewhat copying Mexican dishes like huevos rancheros.

Since I am not a child, I like the eggs with the yolks kind of runny and stuff, rather than all mixed together. So I fry me some eggs.

Now, here is my revolutionary discovery. I break the cheese up and put it in the pan until it is like 2/3 melted. This is way better than totally melting it, especially if you are using good cheese. You get both the full flavor of the cheese and the gooiness of melted cheese.

Then I put whatever on the side, along with the cheese. Usually avacado, and some sort of leftover meat.

Drown in hot sauce as desired.

L2r, I made an omelette. :)

Eggs are gross especially if bugs n s*** are crawling all up in there. The bite of the omelette I had with a maybe bug was all 100% eggs. Coincidence?
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
July 23rd, 2018 at 7:06:39 PM permalink

question: If you get into ketosis and then have a cheat day for whatever reason, do you go back into ketosis quickly after or is it like starting all over.

So day 1 is officially in the books. I am not sure how many carbs I had today but I think it was a little more than I should have. I didn't realize there were carbs in lettuce. I also don't think I had enough fat today, but maybe I did. I didn't really count that today. My morning weight today was 291.8

Here is my food for the day.
I skipped breakfast because of my small fasting
Lunch I had a salad. It was a boring salad, it was just one of those bagged salads but had some things mixed in. I used 2 tbls of ranch dressing.
For a snack I had broccoli with ranch dressing.
Afternoon snack when I got home was a hard boiled egg.
For Dinner I had salad that I made which had ice berg, spinach, cheese, green peppers, onions, and mushrooms. I also used 3 tbls of ranch. I also made tuna fish with more mayo than I normally use. Usually I am worried about all the extra calories from mayo but today I made it a little more creamy. I also added pickles, onion, and green pepper to the tuna. I put it on romaine lettuce.
For evening snack I had another hard boiled egg.

I actually didn't crave anything today which is weird. My only issue is I currently have a massive head ache that ibuprofen has not made any better. Maybe it is caffeine withdrawl or pepsi withdrawl. Or maybe it is just a headache. My last pepsi was 3pm yesterday so that is 29 hours with no caffeine.

It sounds like you're doing well. I'd be surprised if this was over your carb allotment.

Again, your real concern is net carbs. The google machine says that a cup of ice berg has .93 net carbs. Nothing to worry about.

If you cheat, getting back into ketosis seems to depend. Some people transition more easily than others. Also, the worse you cheat the longer it will take.

Basically, I think you have to burn off all them carbs, then your body has to be like, "OK, I guess those are gone. Time to burn fat." So however long that takes.
billryan
billryan
July 23rd, 2018 at 7:23:25 PM permalink
How does keto differ from Atkins?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
July 23rd, 2018 at 7:48:49 PM permalink
GWAE,

You're going to want to look up onions (of all the things you ate. They're full of carbs you don't want. Use sparingly as flavor enhancers, not as a free portion.

General rule is that root vegetables (beets, radishes, carrots, onions, potatoes) are the highest carb sources ounce for ounce in any plant food. That's because roots are where the plants themselves manufacture and store their starchy food source. Many of them have offsetting nutrients, so you have to pick and choose, both which ones, and how much, but some can be eaten in small amounts.

Canned green beans, otoh, and as an example, can be a free portion (eat as much as you want) food. They have cooked a lot of the starch out of them in canning, and you're eating the fruit of the vine rather than the roots. Lots of butter, some salt. Yum. However, a lot of the nutrients got removed in the cooking as well, but they're tasty and filling.

I'd have to look into where fresh green beans rank. Think they're OK too, but might need that thorough cooking.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
MaxPen
MaxPen
July 23rd, 2018 at 8:23:37 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

How does keto differ from Atkins?

RS
RS
July 23rd, 2018 at 8:54:43 PM permalink
Wtf, this is gonna give me TYPE 2 DIABEETUS???? Bruh that can’t be healthy. How the hell is that a benefit????
MaxPen
MaxPen
July 23rd, 2018 at 8:57:11 PM permalink

Wtf, this is gonna give me TYPE 2 DIABEETUS???? Bruh that can’t be healthy. How the hell is that a benefit????

Gets rid of type 2 diabetes.
MaxPen
MaxPen
July 23rd, 2018 at 9:14:03 PM permalink
Good news. There is currently the largest oversupply of meat in the US. 2.5 billion pounds in storage. Real world example of the effects. Today I paid 14.29 a pound for grass fed ribeye vs. the 18.49 a pound I had been paying.
DRich
DRich
July 23rd, 2018 at 9:24:04 PM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

Good news. There is currently the largest oversupply of meat in the US. 2.5 billion pounds in storage. Real world example of the effects. Today I paid 14.29 a pound for grass fed ribeye vs. the 18.49 a pound I had been paying.

You need to talk to BillRyan, I hear he knows where to get deals on beef.
billryan
billryan
July 23rd, 2018 at 9:35:35 PM permalink

SSI.
BTLWI
BTLWI
  • Threads: 6
July 23rd, 2018 at 10:18:04 PM permalink

How are the measurements you were concerned about?

I was going to wait 6 months of carnivore for my next blood work. I feel better than I've ever felt in my life but I also did pick up resistance training.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
July 23rd, 2018 at 10:30:34 PM permalink
Don't forget to get some lemon or lime. Otherwise, you might overwork your kidneys.

https://www.ketovale.com/benefits-of-lemon-water-on-keto-diet/

Use Salt:

"Now that you’re Living Ketogenically, NONE of your food is salted, and because you are eating very few carbs and no fortified foods, your body is expelling electrolytes like mad. You must replace all the salt which companies have been adding to the food you’d previously eaten in order to avoid electrolyte deficiencies, which can be very dangerous."

https://www.ketovangelist.com/salt-the-prize-jewel-of-keto/

Get potassium from Spinach, Mushrooms, Beef, Zucchini, Avacado, Salmon or Coliflour.

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/the-importance-of-potassium-in-low-carb-diets
lildevilLucy
lildevilLucy
  • Threads: 1
July 23rd, 2018 at 11:11:24 PM permalink
Soaking in epsom salts hehelpslot!!!
"18 hit me, 19 hit me, 20 hit me, 21 hit me" - homer simpson
GWAE
GWAE
July 23rd, 2018 at 11:55:11 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

GWAE,

You're going to want to look up onions (of all the things you ate. They're full of carbs you don't want. Use sparingly as flavor enhancers, not as a free portion.

General rule is that root vegetables (beets, radishes, carrots, onions, potatoes) are the highest carb sources ounce for ounce in any plant food. That's because roots are where the plants themselves manufacture and store their starchy food source. Many of them have offsetting nutrients, so you have to pick and choose, both which ones, and how much, but some can be eaten in small amounts.

Canned green beans, otoh, and as an example, can be a free portion (eat as much as you want) food. They have cooked a lot of the starch out of them in canning, and you're eating the fruit of the vine rather than the roots. Lots of butter, some salt. Yum. However, a lot of the nutrients got removed in the cooking as well, but they're tasty and filling.

I'd have to look into where fresh green beans rank. Think they're OK too, but might need that thorough cooking.

Yeah I saw that last night. Overall in my salad and tuna I used 1 medium onion and I only ate about 1/4 of what I made. I will have to be careful going forward because I do like me onions.
GWAE
GWAE
July 24th, 2018 at 9:40:44 AM permalink
driving down the road I popped 2 altoids into my mouth. Then thought, maybe I should check the packaging. 2 damn grams of sugar in 3 of those things. I spit them right out the window. damn it
billryan
billryan
July 24th, 2018 at 10:31:14 AM permalink

driving down the road I popped 2 altoids into my mouth. Then thought, maybe I should check the packaging. 2 damn grams of sugar in 3 of those things. I spit them right out the window. damn it

That stinks, because one of the biggest drawbacks to keto diets is dealing with keto breath.
OnceDear
OnceDear
July 24th, 2018 at 10:44:37 AM permalink

driving down the road I popped 2 altoids into my mouth. Then thought, maybe I should check the packaging. 2 damn grams of sugar in 3 of those things.

Occasionally reading this thread, I get the distinct impression that we as a species, and you guys in the US, more so, have lost touch with basic nutrition. Back when I was a kid, food was pretty basic. Potatoes mashed boiled or fried. Veggies fresh, frozen or tinned and the odd egg, sausage or meat pie. Sandwiches for lunch, maybe made with some horrid 'spread' and water or tea to wash it down. Fruit was pretty much a Sunday treat in my working class culinary challenged home, and then it was from a can unless it was from a neighbours allotment ( * allotments may be a peculiarly English concept* ).

Now, we can have anything, anytime and cheap, cheap, cheap: Fruit and veg that was once unthinkable or unheard of is dragged half way around the world and available daily. I remember a time when potatoes were seasonal, gdammit.

But now, convenience and food processing is everything. Ready to eat or ready in 60 seconds. freezer to microwave to table and to hell with the consequences. Breakfast isn't breakfast without sugar or chocolate in it. Lunch isn't lunch without a sweet treat. Tea breaks demand Pepsi and a bag of chips or one of the myriad types of chocolate treat, not just tea or coffee and an apple. We somehow came to perceive Maccy D double cheeseburger with large fries and a large sugary cola as a staple diet. Maybe because it had that bit of lettuce and pickle.

The crap we eat, it's no wonder obesity is at epidemic levels.

*UK allotments.
At the tail end of WW2, we had food rationing here. People grew what they could where they could. UK diet was probably at it's most healthy in spite of the hardship. Food was for nutrition, not some sort of discretionary distraction.

So, where's this going...?

No need to eat rubbish that tastes cr4p. There's plenty of variety and plenty of quality. We should all be eating like kings. We need to lose the sweet tooth. If we need energy, which we do, then eat some carbs by all means. Carbs that fill us up and release energy steadily. A modest portion of pasta, or heaven forbid, bread or potatoes. Surround that with good meat or fish and add color and excitement from the vegetable world. I never saw an obese vegetarian or pescatarian.

In some sci-fi movies we see future humans consuming super processed food as maybe little tablets or cubes of 'nutruition' material. I reckon in reality, even if such futuristic foods existed, we's want to chomp down a couple of pounds of it at one sitting, with barbacue sauce on top and a large Coke to go.

Do you guys in the US have clear food nutritional labelling? Red/Amber/Green and percentage recomended daily 'reference intakes' like this? which we see on any prepared food from a tv dinner or a tin of soup to a prepared sandwich to go? When introduced here, the food industry scrambled to not have the product with all red labels. Ingredients changed, sugar and salt and fat was reduced. It seems to be working. We consumers seemed to get into better habits.
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
GWAE
GWAE
July 24th, 2018 at 11:11:58 AM permalink

Occasionally reading this thread, I get the distinct impression that we as a species, and you guys in the US, more so, have lost touch with basic nutrition. Back when I was a kid, food was pretty basic. Potatoes mashed boiled or fried. Veggies fresh, frozen or tinned and the odd egg, sausage or meat pie. Sandwiches for lunch, maybe made with some horrid 'spread' and water or tea to wash it down. Fruit was pretty much a Sunday treat in my working class culinary challenged home, and then it was from a can unless it was from a neighbours allotment ( * allotments may be a peculiarly English concept* ).

Now, we can have anything, anytime and cheap, cheap, cheap: Fruit and veg that was once unthinkable or unheard of is dragged half way around the world and available daily. I remember a time when potatoes were seasonal, gdammit.

But now, convenience and food processing is everything. Ready to eat or ready in 60 seconds. freezer to microwave to table and to hell with the consequences. Breakfast isn't breakfast without sugar or chocolate in it. Lunch isn't lunch without a sweet treat. Tea breaks demand Pepsi and a bag of chips or one of the myriad types of chocolate treat, not just tea or coffee and an apple. We somehow came to perceive Maccy D double cheeseburger with large fries and a large sugary cola as a staple diet. Maybe because it had that bit of lettuce and pickle.

The crap we eat, it's no wonder obesity is at epidemic levels.

*UK allotments.
At the tail end of WW2, we had food rationing here. People grew what they could where they could. UK diet was probably at it's most healthy in spite of the hardship. Food was for nutrition, not some sort of discretionary distraction.

So, where's this going...?

No need to eat rubbish that tastes cr4p. There's plenty of variety and plenty of quality. We should all be eating like kings. We need to lose the sweet tooth. If we need energy, which we do, then eat some carbs by all means. Carbs that fill us up and release energy steadily. A modest portion of pasta, or heaven forbid, bread or potatoes. Surround that with good meat or fish and add color and excitement from the vegetable world. I never saw an obese vegetarian or pescatarian.

In some sci-fi movies we see future humans consuming super processed food as maybe little tablets or cubes of 'nutruition' material. I reckon in reality, even if such futuristic foods existed, we's want to chomp down a couple of pounds of it at one sitting, with barbacue sauce on top and a large Coke to go.

Do you guys in the US have clear food nutritional labelling? Red/Amber/Green and percentage recomended daily 'reference intakes' like this? which we see on any prepared food from a tv dinner or a tin of soup to a prepared sandwich to go? When introduced here, the food industry scrambled to not have the product with all red labels. Ingredients changed, sugar and salt and fat was reduced. It seems to be working. We consumers seemed to get into better habits.

we have something similar. It basically looks like this on all foods.
https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/pepsi-20oz-bottle-pepsi-cola-591ml-20-oz-539422863?v2=false
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
July 24th, 2018 at 11:13:10 AM permalink
I've never understood why food companies put so much salt and sugar in things. Non-salt and -sugared options tastes fine, even better in some cases, so why are they wasting their own money adding extra salt and sugar?

An example I've mentioned in this thread is peanut butter. All-natural (i.e., no added sugar) peanut butter is absolutely delicious, and tastes way better than the sugary artificial-looking paste that is regular peanut butter.

I accidentally bought pre-packaged grits one time instead of the regular kind, and when I made the first package I took one bite and threw the rest of it away. It tasted like somebody used ocean water to make the grits, it was so salty.

So, I don't understand. Added salt and sugar makes food more unhealthy, taste worse, and costs money. Why do it? Are Big Salt and Big Sugar just throwing money at food companies?

EDIT: Another one is pasta sauce. Why the hell is there SUGAR in pasta sauce?? I used to buy pasta sauce with sugar in it but you can't even taste it. It doesn't taste like there's any added sugar at all, so why on earth do they even bother adding it? I buy pasta sauce without sugar now, tastes exactly the same, and it's healthier. So dumb, these food companies.
OnceDear
OnceDear
July 24th, 2018 at 11:21:19 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

I've never understood why food companies put so much salt and sugar in things. Non-salt and -sugared options tastes fine, even better in some cases, so why are they wasting their own money adding extra salt and sugar?

They seem to think it's cheap 'flavour enhancement' like Monosodium glutomate. Why add $1 worth of chicken when they can add 5c of MSG or 1c of salt or sugar.

Consider sugar in coffee. If you've always taken sugar in coffee, it's pretty difficult to drink coffee without it. But if you don't take sugar ( or sweeteners) then it's just about tolerable to drink one that as been accidentally sweetened. You sound like a guy who's acclimatised to not taking extra sugar or salt. You probably don't drink regular Pepsi or coke by the pint. You are probably not on the poverty line and I think that has an influence too.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
July 24th, 2018 at 11:31:55 AM permalink

You sound like a guy who's acclimatised to not taking extra sugar or salt. You probably don't drink regular Pepsi or coke by the pint. You are probably not on the poverty line and I think that has an influence too.

Your assumptions are correct.

I think these food companies do it because "well, that's how we've always done it, and it's selling, so we're not gonna change the recipe now," even though the recipe was invented 50 years ago by some corporate chemist with a fraction of the nutritional and food knowledge we have today.

Or the excuse, "It's what people want! They wouldn't buy it if they didn't like it!" Okay, are they buying it because they like the added sugar, or are they buying it because you're not giving them any other options?? If my only options are food with added sugar or no food at all and I go hungry, obviously I'm going to buy the food with added sugar.
OnceDear
OnceDear
July 24th, 2018 at 11:48:30 AM permalink

we have something similar. It basically looks like this on all foods.
https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/pepsi-20oz-bottle-pepsi-cola-591ml-20-oz-539422863?v2=false

LOL. what a fine example. No vitamins, fats, saturated or not. No salt, but just Sugar, sugar and more sugar.

But seriously: A table of numbers and some mention of 591ml. Pah. What we poor and uneducated common folk need are colors. Red Amber Green. On the front of the label as clear as day. Nothing too subtle. Nothing that looks like science..
billryan
billryan
July 24th, 2018 at 11:48:57 AM permalink
Burger King tried healthier fries. The public rejected them. Tried lo fat mayonnaise, people rejected it.
Few businesses succeed by being trend setters. It's easier just to give folks what they want.
Cheap food that satisfies their needs.
billryan
billryan
July 24th, 2018 at 11:52:08 AM permalink

LOL. what a fine example. No vitamins, fats, saturated or not. No salt, but just Sugar, sugar and more sugar.

But seriously: A table of numbers and some mention of 591ml. Pah. What we poor and uneducated common folk need are colors. Red Amber Green. On the front of the label as clear as day. Nothing too subtle. Nothing that looks like science..

You are overestimating the typical American., many of whom think the metric system is revenge for 1776.
  • Jump to: