onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
October 11th, 2016 at 1:45:56 AM permalink
Quote:

"It would be pretty naive to believe they are the only four" jackpots involved, said now-retired Iowa deputy attorney general Thomas H. Miller, who oversaw the investigation for 2 ½ years. "If you find one cockroach, you have to assume there are 100 more you haven't found."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/jackpot-fixing-investigation-expands-more-state-lotteries-155020709.html?ref=gs

https://www.wired.com/2011/01/ff_lottery/

Quote:

Srivastava realized that the same logic could be applied to the lottery. The apparent randomness of the scratch ticket was just a facade, a mathematical lie. And this meant that the lottery system might actually be solvable, just like those mining samples.

I certainly cannot buy a scratch off ticket after learning this. The lotto games being fixed, you would think hell has been turned over, but probably nothing has changed. Completely privatizing lotteries holding them accountable I think I would have faith in, but I also believe lotteries should hold about 20% of what they do, so to not solely take advantage of people. The stories just get forgotten and it's shocking.
I am a robot.
Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
  • Threads: 20
October 11th, 2016 at 10:07:25 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

I certainly cannot buy a scratch off ticket after learning this. The lotto games being fixed, you would think hell has been turned over, but probably nothing has changed. Completely privatizing lotteries holding them accountable I think I would have faith in, but I also believe lotteries should hold about 20% of what they do, so to not solely take advantage of people. The stories just get forgotten and it's shocking.

I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, a lottery is a stupidity tax, and I'm all for taxing the stupid. However, lotteries also amount to a sharply regressive tax on the poor--rich people don't buy lottery tickets. As a society, we should impose progressive rather than regressive taxes (the primary reason why sales taxes are a bad idea).

As far as it being fixed or not, well, if I had a business where my sole activity was that I stood behind a counter, and you walked in and handed me a dollar bill and I gave you back fifty cents, I'd be prosecuted for fraud. So the lottery being fixed is like a drink not only being poisonous but also tasting bad--something already awful being made that much worse.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
October 11th, 2016 at 10:21:53 AM permalink
I just love the signs on liquor stores: "3 machines for YOUR convenience."
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
  • Jump to: