Poll

5 votes (20.83%)
8 votes (33.33%)
11 votes (45.83%)

24 members have voted

ahiromu
ahiromu
Joined: Jan 15, 2010
  • Threads: 109
  • Posts: 1890
September 5th, 2016 at 8:20:47 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

As to casinos, it will be tricky for them. A casino or hotel room that smells of dope is one that I will leave and likely not return to. Not for any high level moral reason but because I do not want to be stinking of pot. Will a billion dollar property want to risk that investment to cater to the stoner crowd, or just stoners and those who want to be a stoner for a weekend?



I agree, but what will the casinos do? The smell doesn't stick to the walls like nicotine, so fining them for a cleaning fee would be stupid. There is no way they're going to have police knocking at hotel doors because they smell of weed. Do you just leave courteous notes and ask people to keep the smell down (do it in a closed door bathroom).

Unless they decide to become special and legalize the fun stuff (acid, shrooms) I don't think there will be much pot tourism. As in, it will be a benefit rather than the primary reason for going. I'm playing with semantics here.

I think someone in a prime location could make a lot of money lending out high quality bongs for a weekend. People would pay $20 to use a bong for three nights, when that piece would only cost $100-150. Even better, make the sticker price $200, so if someone skips town without returning it you will make some money.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
MrV
MrV
Joined: Feb 13, 2010
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 5431
September 5th, 2016 at 10:18:09 AM permalink
I wonder whether any particular Las Vegas casino will ever advertise itself as "420 friendly?"

As in: "Don't ask, don't tell?"

Currently when I go to tribal casinos and bring my own weed, I have to "hide" my consumption by blazing in the bathroom with the exhaust fan on.

MMJ is now legal in Nevada, but it is not legal to smoke it anywhere EXCEPT IN YOUR HOME, and tourists have no local home: smoking is prohibited in their room: sort of a catch 22.

The casinos do not allow weed to be smoke in the patron's rooms (or in other designated areas); given supply and demand, perhaps a purpose-built venue near the casinos which DOES allow people to legally smoke and interact publicly will be built: maybe near Fat Burger on the strip.

It's a changing world.
"What, me worry?"
zippyboy
zippyboy
Joined: Jan 19, 2011
  • Threads: 2
  • Posts: 1083
Thanks for this post from:
ncfatcat
September 5th, 2016 at 10:58:39 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I have rarely heard of the feds doing a mj bust except at the border, Maybe the good thing is to focus on keeping the Mexican stuff out and let locals grow USA supply?


Wired magazine had an interesting article on that idea this month. They surmise that the current heroin epidemic is being caused by the legalization of MJ here in the States. The Mexican cartels used to make billions on weed coming across the border, but not anymore since much better strains are being developed north of the border. The cartels have to make up the lost income somehow....boom!...they flood America with smack, which has a much higher profit per kilo, easier to transport, doesn't stink like weed during the transport and is more addictive.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
Face
Administrator
Face
Joined: Dec 27, 2010
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 3641
September 5th, 2016 at 11:17:28 AM permalink
Quote: MrV


Currently when I go to tribal casinos and bring my own weed, I have to "hide" my consumption by blazing in the bathroom with the exhaust fan on.



I did that in Concord when I was in town to catch a race at Lowe'sMS. Turned out the shower exhausted through a vent right in front of the door to the room. Whoops =)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
TomG
TomG
Joined: Sep 26, 2010
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 902
September 5th, 2016 at 11:27:09 AM permalink
Some of you are behind in the times: No need to smoke any more. You could make an entire grocery store full of mj products (and I think there are some). Anyone can just bring a pocket full of candies anywhere and get high.

Sometimes I feel like I'm losing a lot of value being unwilling to take advantage of comped drinks at a casino. If they start offered comped THC I'll have almost my entire entertainment budget covered.

-----

I was very disappointed when the Undercover Economist couldn't figure out how weed prices were unaffected by inflation over 20+ years. The answer was obvious to me, that decreased prohibition increased competition. One thing that baffled me is that when Colorado and Washington first lifted the ban on recreational sales, the prices actually increased.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 210
  • Posts: 8000
September 5th, 2016 at 11:35:21 AM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

I agree, but what will the casinos do? The smell doesn't stick to the walls like nicotine, so fining them for a cleaning fee would be stupid. There is no way they're going to have police knocking at hotel doors because they smell of weed. Do you just leave courteous notes and ask people to keep the smell down (do it in a closed door bathroom).



Might not be as bad as nicotine, but I have smelled it after people smoked a place up. Particularly if it is a "regular" place someone smokes and it builds up.

Quote: zippyboy

Wired magazine had an interesting article on that idea this month. They surmise that the current heroin epidemic is being caused by the legalization of MJ here in the States. The Mexican cartels used to make billions on weed coming across the border, but not anymore since much better strains are being developed north of the border. The cartels have to make up the lost income somehow....boom!...they flood America with smack, which has a much higher profit per kilo, easier to transport, doesn't stink like weed during the transport and is more addictive.



So, MJ is just one more product where the Mexican manufacturer makes cheap crap compared to specialty domestic? I'm not sure what is causing the H epidemic, but I don't think it is really a pot substitute.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
Face
Administrator
Face
Joined: Dec 27, 2010
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 3641
September 5th, 2016 at 11:50:55 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman


So, MJ is just one more product where the Mexican manufacturer makes cheap crap compared to specialty domestic? I'm not sure what is causing the H epidemic, but I don't think it is really a pot substitute.



Likely several causes. I suspect pot could contribute, as it does make sense. I'd also give a nod to pharma. I'd be lying if my mind didn't drift to products of Myanmar when my health insurance lapsed. Can't say I'm all that versed on opioid addiction, but chronic pain is just about enough reason to risk it. I can tell ya this, though; this "epidemic" ain't nothing yet. You're going to see a lot of big names in the news for '17. Some surprising obits, too.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
rainman
rainman
Joined: Mar 28, 2012
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 1139
September 5th, 2016 at 12:00:49 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Might not be as bad as nicotine, but I have smelled it after people smoked a place up. Particularly if it is a "regular" place someone smokes and it builds up.

Quote: zippyboy

Wired magazine had an interesting article on that idea this month. They surmise that the current heroin epidemic is being caused by the legalization of MJ here in the States. The Mexican cartels used to make billions on weed coming across the border, but not anymore since much better strains are being developed north of the border. The cartels have to make up the lost income somehow....boom!...they flood America with smack, which has a much higher profit per kilo, easier to transport, doesn't stink like weed during the transport and is more addictive.



So, MJ is just one more product where the Mexican manufacturer makes cheap crap compared to specialty domestic? I'm not sure what is causing the H epidemic, but I don't think it is really a pot substitute.



zippy covered it
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 210
  • Posts: 8000
September 5th, 2016 at 12:32:52 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Likely several causes. I suspect pot could contribute, as it does make sense. I'd also give a nod to pharma. I'd be lying if my mind didn't drift to products of Myanmar when my health insurance lapsed. Can't say I'm all that versed on opioid addiction, but chronic pain is just about enough reason to risk it. I can tell ya this, though; this "epidemic" ain't nothing yet. You're going to see a lot of big names in the news for '17. Some surprising obits, too.



Well, the USA is what, 90% of the world painkiller market? Why is this? Is medicine just so much better now than 30 years ago so you live but have more pain? Or is H just more around now than years ago. We have had people hooked on painkillers in the USA since 1865. Various ones over the years, but it happens.

I think you are right, it is going to get worse before it gets better. Much worse. Right now I doubt more than 1/4 of the population understands how bad the problem is getting. Will the USA go the way of China in the Opium Wars and become a hooked nation is the question.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
Face
Administrator
Face
Joined: Dec 27, 2010
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 3641
September 5th, 2016 at 12:58:22 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Well, the USA is what, 90% of the world painkiller market? Why is this? Is medicine just so much better now than 30 years ago so you live but have more pain? Or is H just more around now than years ago. We have had people hooked on painkillers in the USA since 1865. Various ones over the years, but it happens.



It's a mess. When I broke my back, I was given 120 pills at a time, this through little more than the statement "My back hurts". No scans, no tests, just "Here, eat these". It was some 6 YEARS later before I was scanned and diagnosed with crushed disks. 6 years of daily opioid dosing because I was told to by a professional. And not one single, solitary word as to risk of addiction. It was 10 years before I was finally told it was a good idea for a blood test to ensure I didn't fry my liver, and here I had no idea my liver was even at risk.

You might have heard of a guy 'round these parts, had some 2,500 (!) patients to whom he basically just funneled pills. I'm talking people who are on 100mg+ a day (I max at 5mg p/day to put it into perspective). When the feds started taking a look at this stuff, he closed up shop in 1 day. Just boom, stopped. The less thorough sawbones around wouldn't take these people because the feds were looking, and the more thorough wouldn't take them because they had no patient histories for them yet. So thousands of people in just my region alone now in serious pain and hooked through the bag on opiates, what's the obvious result?

It's much of the reason I argue with you about pot. El Padrino ain't got s#$% on GlaxoSmithKline
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.

  • Jump to: