Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
November 20th, 2014 at 11:12:19 AM permalink
http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20141120/Tarkanian.Hospitalized/

I always liked his comments in interviews and the great teams he put together at UNLV. Sure he may have broken a few rules, but so do most coaches and programs. His son Danny would have been a US Senator and Harry Reid would be history if the Tea Party didn't load the primary in 2010 and put Sharon Angle in the general.

I wish him a speedy recovery if possible.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 20th, 2014 at 11:20:00 AM permalink
Sadly, this seems to be happening often with him now. His health is real bad but hopefully he will pull through this one too.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
February 11th, 2015 at 10:41:27 AM permalink
Jerry Tarkanian dead at age 84
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
February 11th, 2015 at 11:15:21 AM permalink
Obviously Coach Tarkanian's coaching career took place long before my time here in Vegas, but after moving here it didn't take long to discover what a legend he was here. I guess in a town that has no pro teams, taking UNLV to the NCAA championship and winning WAS considered winning the superbowl. 25 years later he was still so beloved. It was fitting that UNLV played and beat Fresno last night as Fresno was Jerry's alma mater and the only other team he ever coached.

I would expect a big Vegas send off for Tark.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
February 11th, 2015 at 11:20:16 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

It was fitting that UNLV played and beat Fresno last night as Fresno was Jerry's alma mater and the only other team he ever coached.

I would expect a big Vegas send off for Tark.

He was very successful coaching at Long beach State before coming to UNLV. Fresno State was his last college job.

Also, don't forget that he coached the San Antonio Spurs in 1992 and he turned down the head coaching job for the Los Angeles Lakers after his fourth year at UNLV.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
February 11th, 2015 at 11:26:47 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

He was very successful coaching at Long beach State before coming to UNLV. Fresno State was his last college job.

Also, don't forget that he coached the San Antonio Spurs in 1992 and he turned down the head coaching job for the Los Angeles Lakers after his fourth year at UNLV.

I am not forgetting because I never knew. Coach Tarkanian's run at UNLV was long before my time here. I was a young child in Florida at the time. I thought the story I saw on the local news last night, said UNLV and Fresno were the only schools he coached. Either they were mistaken, or perhaps I misunderstood (probably the later).
  • Jump to: