FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
February 6th, 2014 at 12:38:17 PM permalink
Are you supposed to pay taxes on comps received? If I am "earning" a free night from Myvegas points, I should technically report that on my taxes?
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
February 6th, 2014 at 12:50:54 PM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

Are you supposed to pay taxes on comps received? If I am "earning" a free night from Myvegas points, I should technically report that on my taxes?

I'm pretty sure no. I don't think any comps other than maybe, MAYBE straight-up cash need to be reported. Not even sure in that case, or in the free play case either.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
February 6th, 2014 at 12:52:40 PM permalink
There's no sales tax on comps, so I don't see why there would be any income tax.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
February 6th, 2014 at 1:03:49 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

There's no sales tax on comps, so I don't see why there would be any income tax.

That's a terrible argument! There's no sales tax on gambling winnings, bank interest, investment dividends, or capital gains either. But ALL of the above are taxable as income by the feds.

After poking around the internet, I really haven't the foggiest on the OP. Lots of conflicting information. In any case, no way in hell I'm reporting the "fair market value" or whatever of my free room stays and meals as income. And that's generally the extent of my comps.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 6th, 2014 at 1:14:55 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

There's no sales tax on gambling winnings, bank interest, investment dividends, or capital gains either. But ALL of the above are taxable as income by the feds.

Good point.

Back to the OP's question, I still don't believe comps need to be reported. Also, and I know that this is just anecdotal evidence, but I've never even heard of people reporting their comps on their returns.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
February 6th, 2014 at 1:15:34 PM permalink

Vegas tax rules may (probably are different). But in AC when I receive comp rooms the disclaimer says I am responsible for all related taxes. And you have to pay the state sales tax upon check out which is based on the value of the room (which usually comes to 10ish dollars per free night where I usually stay).
In NJ free stuff can still be subjected to sales tax at point of "purchase".
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 6th, 2014 at 1:19:24 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

In NJ free stuff can still be subjected to sales tax at point of "purchase".

Didn't know that about NJ. I've never been there and don't plan on visiting any time soon. lol
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
February 6th, 2014 at 10:27:25 PM permalink

Yes. You are technically receiving a prize and prizes are taxable in the US. You calculate the prize based on fair market value, not retail value.

It's covered in Publication 525, Page 32. Another interesting thing:

Quote: IRS Publication 525, Page 33

Stolen property.

If you steal property, you must report its fair market value in your income in the year you steal it unless in the same year, you return it to its rightful owner.

LOL!
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 6th, 2014 at 10:51:48 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Quote: IRS Publication 525, Page 33

Stolen property.

If you steal property, you must report its fair market value in your income in the year you steal it unless in the same year, you return it to its rightful owner.

LOL!

That's a good point. Heck, if stolen property can be taxed, then it does make sense (from the IRS' point of view) that comps can also be taxed. Sounds like one of those things that's technically on the books but is different to enforce.
  • Jump to: