odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 25th, 2014 at 5:50:52 AM permalink
some thoughts:

You are the only guy-who-just-volunteered moderator anywhere I've ever seen catch so much attention. Honestly, I can't really figure out why, even though you have done a great job as Wizard says. However, I too have been affected and that is one reason I want to attend the upcoming WoV East.

Regarding your Academic "laziness", consider the trend. Colleges today are having trouble being relevant to guys, while women wanting career are benefiting enormously; it may soon transpire that a 60-40 sex* distribution becomes nationwide . This effect of wondering "what the F am I doing here?" in college started while I was there. I absolve all males from feeling guilty about this. I absolve thee. Quit saying you were lazy.

Your wife smokes while you are trying to quit smoking. In the past I have found this to cause difficulties in relationships; certainly it makes it harder to quit, I would never have tried in your shoes [I quit when a bachelor]. Mind commenting on that?

Ginger or Mary Ann thing: see new thread

[PS I don't use the word "gender" which was robbed from language study ... e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_gender which shows many consider there to be more than 2 genders ... thus I say if you mean two sexual types, use the word 'sex'
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
January 25th, 2014 at 7:19:27 AM permalink
Beauty is skin deep. But ugly goes down to the bone.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
January 25th, 2014 at 9:05:34 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

You are the only guy-who-just-volunteered moderator anywhere I've ever seen catch so much attention. Honestly, I can't really figure out why, even though you have done a great job as Wizard says. However, I too have been affected and that is one reason I want to attend the upcoming WoV East.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you mean by the first sentence, but I appreciate the compliment in the second sentence.

Quote:

Your wife smokes while you are trying to quit smoking. In the past I have found this to cause difficulties in relationships; certainly it makes it harder to quit, I would never have tried in your shoes [I quit when a bachelor]. Mind commenting on that?

I appreciate the absolution with respect to my Academic laziness, but no, I was definitely academically lazy.

1.) I could have went to a much better school, I did not.
2.) I could have performed better in college, I did not.
3.) I could have cut less classes which would have yielded better grades without extra studying, I did not.
4.) I could have not dropped out my last semester (attendance, would have failed two classes automatically had I not dropped out, hotel kept me busy) and I did choose to drop out in favor of my hotel job, so I had to use on-line classes to put me over the hump in terms of required credits.

I was too worried about places who provided me with an actual paycheck.

I was immature at that age, academically lazy, and made bad financial decisions. I could have saved so much money given how much I worked, probably would have 50-75K free and clear this minute still from college money, and I didn't do it.

Further, it is an undeniable trend that continues to this day. I could probably work at a better hotel, but I am unmotivated, unambitious and fundamentally lazy, with exception only to how many hours I work. (Scheduled 64/week, work more like 70, and will be scheduled 76 when the owner is out of town).

My wife's smoking does not and did not make it harder to quit. I buy cigarettes for her. Here's why it has no effect:

1.) We have kids, so do not smoke indoors, so I never really see her smoke. We only smoked indoors in hotel rooms if the kids were not with us.

2.) She smokes cigarettes, which I didn't particularly like in the first place. I liked mini-cigars, and only smoked cigarettes from her if I was out.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
midwestgb
midwestgb
  • Threads: 12
January 25th, 2014 at 9:21:17 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I am unmotivated, unambitious and fundamentally lazy, with exception only to how many hours I work.

Don't think I've ever witnessed anyone ever state this about themselves in such a direct manner. Kudo's for your forthrightness. Though, you work your butt off around here... ;-)
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
January 25th, 2014 at 12:31:11 PM permalink

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you mean by the first sentence, but I appreciate the compliment in the second sentence.

I meant that you're not the Wizard, or a radio show guest, or anything, but have made yourself known by just, well, moderating. Although I just remembered the McNugget thing, that was something.

Quote:

I am unmotivated, unambitious and fundamentally lazy

I wonder how many guys your age are beating up on yourselves like this.

I still say you show no signs of laziness. We see the complete opposite with your work at the site. It is something much more complex, I think. It could just be that everyday humdrum life is bumming you.

Quote:

I liked mini-cigars

Did you ever try those little Italian cigars? With some brands they actually pump up the nicotine content.

I do have The Don't in a bet on whether you quit smoking, so that means I have to throw these little things at you <g>
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
January 25th, 2014 at 12:54:39 PM permalink

I do have The Don't in a bet on whether you quit smoking, so that means I have to throw these little things at you <g>

No uh, badgering the witness, or something.. :)
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 25th, 2014 at 12:57:56 PM permalink
The French have a good word for it...provocateur....lol! :)
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Mission146
Mission146
January 25th, 2014 at 1:09:01 PM permalink
Quote: midwestgb

Don't think I've ever witnessed anyone ever state this about themselves in such a direct manner. Kudo's for your forthrightness. Though, you work your butt off around here... ;-)

Thanks for the compliment. An examined life starts with knowing one's own strengths and weaknesses.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
January 25th, 2014 at 1:12:42 PM permalink

I meant that you're not the Wizard, or a radio show guest, or anything, but have made yourself known by just, well, moderating. Although I just remembered the McNugget thing, that was something.

I suppose that's true, I am pretty much known just for being an Administrator, but that's the only area where I've shown any great promise. My gambling Math skills could be qualified as, "Slightly better than average," given that I have an understanding of the basics and that's about it.

Quote:

I wonder how many guys your age are beating up on yourselves like this.

I still say you show no signs of laziness. We see the complete opposite with your work at the site. It is something much more complex, I think. It could just be that everyday humdrum life is bumming you.

Thanks for the compliment, and laziness may have been the wrong word, just a lack of ambition. I'm not bummed with a humdrum life, I went this way intentionally, it's just that perhaps I went a little too far this way. I used to be pretty reckless...lol

Quote:

Did you ever try those little Italian cigars? With some brands they actually pump up the nicotine content.

I probably have, I've tried so many little cigars I can't even hope to remember them all. I would pretty much try anything I'd never seen before.

Unfortunately, you have no hope of winning the bet in the Spoiler, so I apologize for that.
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 25th, 2014 at 1:25:42 PM permalink

Thanks for the compliment. An examined life starts with knowing one's own strengths and weaknesses.

Last time I did that I did not like what I saw. NEVER AGAIN !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
January 25th, 2014 at 1:53:50 PM permalink

Thanks for the compliment, and laziness may have been the wrong word, just a lack of ambition. I'm not bummed with a humdrum life, I went this way intentionally, it's just that perhaps I went a little too far this way. I used to be pretty reckless...lol

Right there with ya. Occasionally I get down on wasted opportunities/talent, but then I realize the flip side. I'm not a hustle and bustle kind of guy. I could push my talents to the limit and have everything I've ever wanted, but I'd never have the time to enjoy all that stuff when I wanted.

The most valuable asset in the world is time. And by that measure, I am a rich man indeed =)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Buzzard
Buzzard
January 25th, 2014 at 2:05:04 PM permalink
Then my Uncle should be very happy. A judge just gave him 150 years.
  • Jump to: