Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
November 11th, 2022 at 6:41:25 AM permalink
I liked bell-bottom pants, but not the elephant bells like in the picture.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
November 12th, 2022 at 1:33:31 AM permalink

my fave back in the day pro wrestler - George "The Animal" Steele - he was a brilliant strategist
The Animal had a thing for the beautiful Miss Elizabeth - who was Macho Man Randy Savage's main squeeze
unfortunately for The Animal - his love and affection went unrequited - many of us here know the pain of unrequited love

Dusty Rhodes was a voice for the common man
he was of the people and for the people
he was a big man who lived life to its fullest
he loved life

very entertaining stuff indeed

Please don't feed the trolls
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 12th, 2022 at 2:49:10 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

Dusty Rhodes was a voice for the common man
he was of the people and for the people
he was a big man who lived life to its fullest
he loved life

I only really saw Dusty in the WWF and for that run they made him a cartoon and joke as I saw it. A kid's character, similar to what they did with Ricky Steamboat. I see the old clips now and they appeared serious before Vince got his hooks into them. Steamboat came when Vince did his AWA raid and needed bodies to do 2 and sometimes 3 house shows every night. Rhodes more tried to hold out and was forced over. As if he got there Vince said, "You are done booking, wear these polka dots and oh, here is your valet."
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 12th, 2022 at 2:55:06 AM permalink

the stunts they do today are incredible - much more amazing then what was done back in the day

but the storylines from back in the day were great - hilarious stuff - sometimes you would lose yourself and actually believe the stories were true - looks like they're just trying to copy that now

billryan
billryan
November 12th, 2022 at 5:57:36 AM permalink

the stunts they do today are incredible - much more amazing then what was done back in the day

but the storylines from back in the day were great - hilarious stuff - sometimes you would lose yourself and actually believe the stories were true - looks like they're just trying to copy that now

link to original post

For many years, the top wrestlers didn't allow young guys to do splashy moves. They didn't want mid-card performers outshining them, so many flashy moves were not allowed. Since the top guys were often bookers, young guys couldn't afford to get on their bad sides. It actually took the explosion of backyard wrestling and the importation of Mexicans not used to the caste system to open the game up.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 12th, 2022 at 7:24:57 AM permalink

link to original post

The kayfabe era was so much better. From what I have heard back then it was way more improv not the script of today. So guys who were good could have fun with it telling the locals how to use soap or such. It was just believable enough as you say.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 12th, 2022 at 10:58:52 AM permalink
Remember back in the old days when you would pick up your phone to make a call but one of your neighbors was on it and you would have to wait til they finished?
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 13th, 2022 at 2:22:48 AM permalink

Joe Wilie Namath was my fave athlete of all time
he was so very cool

he made you feel like you wanted to be his friend
not because he was a big star - but because he was so much fun

they broke the mold with that one

rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 213
November 13th, 2022 at 4:09:07 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

link to original post

For many years, the top wrestlers didn't allow young guys to do splashy moves. They didn't want mid-card performers outshining them, so many flashy moves were not allowed. Since the top guys were often bookers, young guys couldn't afford to get on their bad sides. It actually took the explosion of backyard wrestling and the importation of Mexicans not used to the caste system to open the game up.
link to original post

Reminds me, early pre-MMA was really kind of crazy. Back when VCR rental was still the thing, I rented every new tape that showed up. It was not much more than the toughest guys in the neighborhood in a free for all. Or ones that thought they were the toughest, but soon learned otherwise.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 18th, 2022 at 11:33:36 AM permalink

I always thought of myself as a pretty strong guy until my last job before retiring - I worked as ground crew at Dulles Airport
most of my day was loading baggage into shipping containers and then pushing and pulling the very heavy containers into their proper place on the plane
by the end of my shift I was so tired that I was lucky that I never cracked up in my car on the way home

about half ot my coworkers were African guys
many of these guys worked double shifts - 16 hours - servicing the plane

they never seemed to break a sweat or get tired

if I hadn't seen it with my own two eyes I never would have believed that anybody could work like that

lilredrooster
lilredrooster
November 19th, 2022 at 5:14:40 PM permalink

in 1970, after the season, St. Anthonys of DC was named the #1 high school team in the nation by Sport Magazine

they were coached by John Thompson who later won an NCAA Championship with Georgetown
St. Anthonys had 3 players who later excelled in major college basketball and one of them played in the ABA

my team - a suburban Maryland team - played them and they crushed us

I had to guard Jonathan Smith, who later excelled at Georgetown.
I was crouched down defensively for one play - he took a jumper over me - I'll never forget - his feet were in my face

I had a layup and it was goaltended by Donald Washington who excelled one year at UNC and then played in the ABA

he pinned my shot to the backboard about 12.5 feet up there
back then, it was absolutely insane to see a h.s. player who could go up that high

it's never a great memory of getting crushed by a team

but it is fun to remember that at least I at one time competed against the very best at that level - even knowing they were playing the game at a much higher level than me

rxwine
rxwine
November 25th, 2022 at 10:48:25 AM permalink
Remember when "antidisestablishmentarianism" was the longest word in the dictionary? (or in the English language)
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 25th, 2022 at 11:02:27 AM permalink
"REMEMBER WHEN you ran away and I got on my knees and begged you not to
leave because I'd go berserk?? Well...
You left me anyhow and then the days got worse and worse and now you see
I've gone completely out of my mind.. And..
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa
To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be
happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're
coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!"

"They're Coming to Take Me Away"

by Napoleon IV
"What, me worry?"
avianrandy
avianrandy
  • Threads: 8
December 21st, 2022 at 11:45:26 AM permalink
This was a triple stumperon final Jeopardy last night in the category classic songs. I am sure someone here remember it.i could not come up with it in the 30 seconds allowed.
avianrandy
avianrandy
December 21st, 2022 at 11:47:27 AM permalink
Had to go through almost 10 pages to find the remember when thread,but I found it.. finally lol
DRich
DRich
December 21st, 2022 at 12:09:24 PM permalink
Quote: avianrandy

Had to go through almost 10 pages to find the remember when thread,but I found it.. finally lol
link to original post

Remember when the Remember When thread was on the most recent list?
avianrandy
avianrandy
December 21st, 2022 at 12:17:36 PM permalink
Lol didn't seem like it was that long ago but I have slept since then . 5 pages in almost gave up and used the search function. By that time,I kept digging until I found it. Thought about post in misc thread but remember when more appropriate
avianrandy
avianrandy
December 23rd, 2022 at 6:49:44 AM permalink

This was a triple stumperon final Jeopardy last night in the category classic songs. I am sure someone here remember it.i could not come up with it in the 30 seconds allowed.
link to original post

Answer was HERE COME'S SANTA CLAUS by GENE AUTRY. Hope everyone is doing well
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
December 23rd, 2022 at 9:40:43 AM permalink
"Baby It's Cold Outside" was written by a Broadway songwriter as a throwaway song for he and his wife to sing to their friends at a party one year.

A few years later it made its way into a movie and won an Academy Award for best song.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 23rd, 2022 at 12:21:45 PM permalink

remember when you would NEVER EVER see homeless people in the suburbs

they were only in the city - and the word homeless was not used - they were referred to as bums

I was all over the city of DC - worked there - lived there - socialized there - back in the day there weren't that many - I would estimate not many more than 100 in the entire city

now there are thousands - and they're everywhere - all over the suburbs

DRich
DRich
December 23rd, 2022 at 12:43:16 PM permalink

they were only in the city - and the word homeless was not used - they were referred to as bums

I was all over the city of DC - worked there - lived there - socialized there - back in the day there weren't that many - I would estimate not many more than 100 in the entire city

link to original post

A very easy problem to solve. If every person that complained about the homeless paid one months rent for one the problem would go away.
TigerWu
TigerWu
December 23rd, 2022 at 1:06:41 PM permalink

link to original post

I'm not sure what time period you're talking about but as of 2022 homelessness in DC hit a 17 year low.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 23rd, 2022 at 1:12:00 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

link to original post

I'm not sure what time period you're talking about but as of 2022 homelessness in DC hit a 17 year low.
link to original post

in the article she says the count now is 4,410 - i was referring to the 70s when I doubt there were many more than 100 in the entire city

this is a public relations announcement by the Mayor

there may have been some progress - but Mayors love to put out flattering press releases

I doubt that that is the whole truth and nothing but the truth

and I'm 100% sure that many have simply migrated to the Maryland suburbs - Maryland shares a border with DC

in DC the homeless are treated roughly by store and restaurant Managers when they try to hang out there

in Maryland it's more live and let live - many stores and restaurants will not bother them there

Last edited by: lilredrooster on Dec 23, 2022
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 23rd, 2022 at 1:27:45 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

link to original post

A very easy problem to solve. If every person that complained about the homeless paid one months rent for one the problem would go away.
link to original post

A better one, how about everyone who refuses to mitigate the problem by doing things like saying it is "cruel" to do things like spike areas so they cannot sleep there pays?

I have to wonder what visitors from places like KSA or China think about all the begging homeless when they are here.
rxwine
rxwine
December 23rd, 2022 at 1:43:46 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

The only reason I would give money to someone hanging around on the sidewalk or the street for nothing in return is if I wanted to see them there again and again and again and again and again and again....infinity.
TigerWu
TigerWu
December 23rd, 2022 at 3:41:11 PM permalink

in the article she says the count now is 4,410 - i was referring to the 70s when I doubt there were many more than 100 in the entire city
link to original post

Gotcha. Well, if it was the '70s, I wonder how much of the increasing homeless population after that point had to do with Vietnam veterans....
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 24th, 2022 at 2:36:27 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

link to original post

Gotcha. Well, if it was the '70s, I wonder how much of the increasing homeless population after that point had to do with Vietnam veterans....
link to original post

More to do with guys claiming to be Vietnam Vets than actual vets.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
December 24th, 2022 at 4:15:14 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

link to original post

link to original post

The only reason I would give money to someone hanging around on the sidewalk or the street for nothing in return is if I wanted to see them there again and again and again and again and again and again....infinity.
link to original post

There's a YouTube channel I follow that has a guy from New Zealand who's lived in India for the last 15 years and he visited the United States for the first time this fall and went to Nashville Tennessee. He could not believe the number of homeless people on the streets of Nashville. Here they are surrounded by tremendous wealth everywhere they turn, in the cars people are driving, in the jobs they have, in the stores they're surrounded by, and these people have to live on the streets? He was personally insulted by it because in India they have no choice, they're born into poverty that we can't even understand, and most of these people in Nashville are on the street by choice. Just like anyplace else in the United States.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
  • Threads: 6
December 24th, 2022 at 4:50:21 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

There's a YouTube channel I follow that has a guy from New Zealand who's lived in India for the last 15 years and he visited the United States for the first time this fall and went to Nashville Tennessee. He could not believe the number of homeless people on the streets of Nashville. Here they are surrounded by tremendous wealth everywhere they turn, in the cars people are driving, in the jobs they have, in the stores they're surrounded by, and these people have to live on the streets? He was personally insulted by it because in India they have no choice, they're born into poverty that we can't even understand, and most of these people in Nashville are on the street by choice. Just like anyplace else in the United States.
link to original post

The canard that people live on the streets by choice is a long debunked-and dangerous-myth.
billryan
billryan
December 24th, 2022 at 5:55:17 PM permalink
Quote: GenoDRPh

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

The canard that people live on the streets by choice is a long debunked-and dangerous-myth.
link to original post

The people I knew that ended up on the streets generally got there via a series of bad choices, but they weren't dealing with mental issues.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 24th, 2022 at 6:33:12 PM permalink

link to original post

The vast majority of people who live in the streets do so in America because that's a choice they make. That's a fact. They are substance abusers and it's really easy to get whatever their substance is. I knew a ton of homeless people when I owned the bar in California and every single one of them without exception was there by choice. They never looked for work, we're always looking for handouts and we're always looking to score either booze or drugs. Many of them had mental problems, most of them were just lazy jerks looking for the easy way scamming a living off somebody else. Nothing has changed.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
December 24th, 2022 at 8:27:51 PM permalink

link to original post

The vast majority of people who live in the streets do so in America because that's a choice they make. That's a fact. They are substance abusers and it's really easy to get whatever their substance is. I knew a ton of homeless people when I owned the bar in California and every single one of them without exception was there by choice. They never looked for work, we're always looking for handouts and we're always looking to score either booze or drugs. Many of them had mental problems, most of them were just lazy jerks looking for the easy way scamming a living off somebody else. Nothing has changed.
link to original post

Let's just say that sociologists, psychologists, social workers, human service workers, criminologists and public policy makers tell a different, more evidence-based story. I believe them.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
December 24th, 2022 at 8:55:19 PM permalink

link to original post

I had no clue on that one. Neither did Mrs. Wizard of my won.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 24th, 2022 at 11:48:50 PM permalink

a tool from back in the day that has disappeared - the metal change maker worn on the belt of ice cream truck drivers - I can't think of any other worker who wore that thing

the neighborhood Good Humor man has pretty much disappeared too

EvenBob
EvenBob
December 25th, 2022 at 12:37:35 AM permalink

Let's just say that sociologists, psychologists, social workers, human service workers, criminologists and public policy makers tell a different, more evidence-based story. I believe them.
link to original post

That's because you want to believe them, all they're doing is trying to keep their jobs by telling people what they want to hear. Just get to know a bunch of homeless people and you find out the truth. Most of them are there because they want to be there. If you are able-bodied and homeless you are not trying to get out of that very hard. Why do you think so many of them end up in the warmer climates like California and Florida. Because it's a choice they make, they want to be homeless in a hospitable climate. It's not an accident.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
December 25th, 2022 at 2:52:27 AM permalink

link to original post

So you want to listen to a bunch of people who never actually solve the problem? Think about it, they give every reason imaginable but the homeless keep coming. remember also that the groups you mentioned are people who do not have to deliver much if any value in their jobs. They just have to act like they are, but if they were in a place where they had to get and keep paying customers they would not make it a week. The more homeless there are the better it is for them in fact.

I have to think a homeless person in India or Africa would be disgusted at the homeless in America. Begging in a land of such plenty.
rxwine
rxwine
December 25th, 2022 at 4:40:38 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

link to original post

The people I knew that ended up on the streets generally got there via a series of bad choices, but they weren't dealing with mental issues.
link to original post

I kind of half agree with both sides of this. If we can find jobs for people with no arms and legs, or blind, why is a guy standing on a street corner all day long just holding a sign for a handout?

In the Christmas spirit so to speak, I always favor help for the down on their luck. The confluence of bad events can bring someone down. But I can't determine anything and don't favor supporting street people where they are day after day.

And Happy New Year to all, etc.,
billryan
billryan
Thanked by
SOOPOO
December 25th, 2022 at 5:01:05 AM permalink
The state provides workhouses and prisons. There is no reason anyone should be homeless.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
December 25th, 2022 at 5:16:28 AM permalink

a tool from back in the day that has disappeared - the metal change maker worn on the belt of ice cream truck drivers - I can't think of any other worker who wore that thing

link to original post

I always associated the change belt with arcade attendants and carnival game workers.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 25th, 2022 at 5:49:11 AM permalink

The state provides workhouses and prisons. There is no reason anyone should be homeless.
link to original post

it's important to understand - a lot of these people are mentally ill - the decisions they make are not logical ones

it's one of the most difficult problems facing our society - and there are no easy answers - and I don't have any answers - but I want to try and understand it

in the 80s a lot of these people were released from mental institutions as funding dried up - they were just not capable of living what we consider to be normal lives

from the article:

'The Mental Health Systems act of 1980 signed by President Carter provided grants to community mental health centers.

in 1981 President Reagan, who made major efforts during his Governorship to reduce funding and enlistment for Ca. mental institutions pushed a political effort thru the U.S. Congress to repeal most of the MHSA."

if you want to say they're just lazy bums looking for a handout - there is some truth to that - but it's not the whole truth

.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mental_Health_Systems_Act_of_1980#:~:text=In%201981%20President%20Ronald%20Reagan,in%20mental%20health%20care%20policy.

billryan
billryan
December 25th, 2022 at 7:17:44 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

link to original post

I drove a Good Humor truck one summer. Many people had switched to the step van type, but I wanted the real deal. I started driving a 1971 model, but the tranny went and they gave me a 1966 model without power steering or power brakes.
You got a workout, jumping in and out of the truck every block or two.
It was fun, but when offered the same route the next summer, I passed and worked for the Post Office.
I always associated the change belt with arcade attendants and carnival game workers.
link to original post

rxwine
rxwine
December 25th, 2022 at 7:24:58 AM permalink
I think I remember seeing those coin changers on kids on a paper route. Or at least one. Possibly my oldest brother.
billryan
billryan
December 25th, 2022 at 7:30:11 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

link to original post

link to original post[/

I drove one of those one summer in the 1980s. While most of the routes had converted to step- vans, the guy I worked for still had the 1960s models, built off pickup trucks. We didn't wear uniforms but had to wear slacks and collared shirts. I had a good time doing it, but jumping in and out of the truck was exhausting.
I'd start my day driving to pick up inventory before 10AM, and usually get home well after 11PM, only to do it again the next day. Because it was seasonal, you were expected to work seven days a week The redeeming feature was they held back 8% of your sales as a security deposit and with sales averaging about $200-$300 a day, it was a great forced savings plan. I got a check a few weeks later for almost $2000- more than I'd saved from the day-to-day income.
I was offered the same route the next year, but passed and worked for the Post Office instead.
EvenBob
EvenBob
December 25th, 2022 at 9:46:57 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I have to think a homeless person in India or Africa would be disgusted at the homeless in America. Begging in a land of such plenty.
link to original post

That's how the guy from New Zealand that I was talking about who's lived in India for the last 15 years felt. He was puzzled and disgusted and insulted because of what saw on the streets of Nashville. The people in India who beg in the streets have no choice because the caste system is still alive and well no matter what they say. In the United States these homeless people are surrounded by wealth on all sides of them the people in India can't even imagine and would be delighted to experience. There is no reason to beg in the United States or to be homeless unless you choose to be. 90% of the time.
GenoDRPh
GenoDRPh
December 25th, 2022 at 11:18:40 AM permalink

link to original post

So you want to listen to a bunch of people who never actually solve the problem? Think about it, they give every reason imaginable but the homeless keep coming. remember also that the groups you mentioned are people who do not have to deliver much if any value in their jobs. They just have to act like they are, but if they were in a place where they had to get and keep paying customers they would not make it a week. The more homeless there are the better it is for them in fact.

link to original post

Let's just say I am more willing to believe objective facts from a process that by its nature is self correcting than anecdotal evidence that is colored by biases.

Wanna complain that people trying to solve the problem supposedly aren't solving the problem? FIne, But let's see your solutions.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 25th, 2022 at 12:37:09 PM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

Let's just say I am more willing to believe objective facts from a process that by its nature is self correcting than anecdotal evidence that is colored by biases.

Wanna complain that people trying to solve the problem supposedly aren't solving the problem? FIne, But let's see your solutions.
link to original post

I gotta believe the truth is somewhere between. It is my understanding that our local homeless shelters do not turn people away. So if you count that shelter as a ‘home’, then no one needs to be homeless. I think most homeless don’t WANT to be homeless, i.e. living on the streets. But they don’t have the impetus/means/skills/mental abilities to figure out how not to be living on the streets. But there must be a subset that just wanna live on the streets. Hard to believe it’s a majority.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 25th, 2022 at 1:41:00 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

It is my understanding that our local homeless shelters do not turn people away. So if you count that shelter as a ‘home’, then no one needs to be homeless

link to original post

maybe where you live - iirc you stated you live in Buffalo - maybe that fact has to do with the extreme cold there and the fact that the homeless will migrate away from extreme cold - if that were not the case in Buffalo you would have many homeless dying of cold in the streets - a public relations disaster

from the article:

"Many cities have long wait lists for shelters, sometimes consisting of hundreds of people, resulting in a 6 month or longer wait for a bed

for those who do stay in shelters they can only stay for a limited amount of time, and due to the large population of unhoused people they are asked to leave to make room for others"

https://whitmanwire.com/opinion/2022/05/05/the-unspoken-violence-in-shelters/

DRich
DRich
December 25th, 2022 at 2:13:02 PM permalink

I always remember the paper-boy carrying the little change maker.
billryan
billryan
December 25th, 2022 at 3:26:26 PM permalink
NYC bus drivers all had them until they stopped making change around 1975. I don't remember them breaking bills, but I recall them making change.

edit-I looked it up and it was in 1969. Bus robberies were increasing, and drivers might have between $75-$100 by the end of the shift. They weren't supposed to accept anything over a dollar but would occasionally break a $5 or $10 if they were in a good mood. It seems like the drivers hated it and the unions were able to make it a safety issue.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
December 25th, 2022 at 6:44:14 PM permalink

Burger Chef - a huge competitor with Mickey Dees and of course with Burger King - hey, did you guys know there was a chain called Burger Queen________?

Burger Chef featured the Big Shef - a double burger - and later the quarter pounder which they called the Super Shef

but it was their Works Bar - free unlimited toppings that sold me - I loaded up with onions and tomatoes

I remember their burgers seemed to come out cold - but hey, they were cheap and at that time I didn't have a lot of cash and they did the trick

• Jump to: