FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 24th, 2012 at 11:01:09 AM permalink
A recent Green Felt Journal article by historian David Schwartz has noted that Bartenders are the new Dealers.

Beverage department revenues have been booming while gambling revenues have been falling and employment figures also reflect the ascendancy of bartenders as the new directors of interpersonal relations in Vegas.

Its still sin city but instead of personable dealers working their way up the ranks its personable bartenders working their way up the ranks.

link to article .
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
June 24th, 2012 at 12:13:07 PM permalink
What position in the next step for bartender ? Valet parking ?
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
June 24th, 2012 at 1:32:54 PM permalink
Something to do with bartender contests now? They vie for who is best at flipping bottles behind their back and catching them and all that, and it winds up on TV contest shows for the finals.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
CRMousseau
CRMousseau
  • Threads: 2
June 24th, 2012 at 9:15:47 PM permalink
Having just left Vegas from a two-week stay, I have to say that compared to dealers, bartenders were A) more engaging, B) more entertaining, C) more personable and D) didn't f*$(#)#$ hustle for tips; I'd rather spend my time throwing away $1 a spin at a 97% RTP single deck blackjack game and tip $2 per free drink, and know my tips were going to them, than tip $20/hr and get grunted at by some dealer whose entire understanding of math is "he's betting green and only directly giving me the silver off his blackjack? Cheap prick".
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
June 24th, 2012 at 10:35:39 PM permalink
Maybe this is a continuation of the trend to Vegas being booze and food rather than just gambling or maybe its simply the result of hiring so many robotic dealers from foreign cultures where smiling and chatting are alien concepts.
  • Jump to: