bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
January 15th, 2020 at 11:42:10 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

I believe the Wizard said his father swore a lot and Mike said he didn’t like it. I don’t recall whether he said his father was dumb, and other comments here.

Rxwine, I just noticed your avatar. I think it is disgusting. A couple months ago Bill Ryan objected to my quoting Tulsi Gabbard in my signature line and I was given I think 24 hours to get rid of it or face suspension. I'm not going to snitch to the boss, but you need to do something with that, on your own. Just sayin.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
January 15th, 2020 at 11:57:14 AM permalink
Quote: bobbartop

Rxwine, I just noticed your avatar. I think it is disgusting. A couple months ago Bill Ryan objected to my quoting Tulsi Gabbard in my signature line and I was given I think 24 hours to get rid of it or face suspension. I'm not going to snitch to the boss, but you need to do something with that, on your own. Just sayin.

I think Kim would have been more accurate, as there was a love letter involved.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
rdw4potustringlomaneHunterhillTigerWu
January 15th, 2020 at 12:17:33 PM permalink

How come you don’t find Duffman’s rebel bars disgusting?
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 15th, 2020 at 12:40:28 PM permalink

I dunno, maybe your avatar is not what I think it is. What is it?
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
rxwine
rxwine
January 15th, 2020 at 1:09:46 PM permalink

I dunno, maybe your avatar is not what I think it is. What is it?

Osculation.
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 15th, 2020 at 1:26:36 PM permalink

Dodge ball. Including the thank-you clicker. You don't know me. Don't put words or thoughts in my mouth. What nerve. Weak.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
Thanked by
tringlomane
January 15th, 2020 at 1:27:54 PM permalink

Duffman's allowed to get away with things that have gotten other people banned. He's a "made man" around these parts, apparently.
rxwine
rxwine
January 15th, 2020 at 1:29:37 PM permalink
Some people around here might confirm, I’m probably one of the biggest pro-nanny state people around.

But I really don’t care about things people want to make rules for that I see no purpose for. Especially for adults.

I’m pro-choice on profanity. Use it or not. Your choice.

That said, the rules for participation require we not use it. Price of admission.
rxwine
rxwine
January 15th, 2020 at 1:34:00 PM permalink

Dodge ball. Including the thank-you clicker. You don't know me. Don't put words or thoughts in my mouth. What nerve. Weak.

Never asked for your opinion in the first place. Deal with the results.
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 240
January 15th, 2020 at 2:00:13 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Duffman's allowed to get away with things that have gotten other people banned. He's a "made man" around these parts, apparently.

In olden days, the court jester could get away with saying things no one else could simply because no one took anything they said seriously. Not saying that's the case here, but not saying it's not.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
bobbartop
bobbartop
Thanked by
Forager
January 15th, 2020 at 2:19:00 PM permalink

Never asked for your opinion in the first place. Deal with the results.

To me your avatar looks like an image of Trump and Putin kissing each other on the lips. A political statement. Take it down.
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
TigerWu
January 15th, 2020 at 2:28:57 PM permalink

To me your avatar looks like an image of Trump and Putin kissing each other on the lips. A political statement. Take it down.

No problem. As soon as Duffman takes his down, I'll take mine down.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 15th, 2020 at 3:30:28 PM permalink

Why should anyone? Symbol of rebellion to overbearing government. Symbol of the south. We’ve been thru this. Get over it.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
TigerWu
TigerWu
Thanked by
ForagerMinty
January 15th, 2020 at 3:31:27 PM permalink

No problem. As soon as Duffman takes his down, I'll take mine down.

Hooboy... this is gettin' spicy!
rxwine
rxwine
January 15th, 2020 at 3:51:15 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Why should anyone? Symbol of rebellion to overbearing government. Symbol of the south. We’ve been thru this. Get over it.

I put mine up however many months ago when you pretended no one found yours offensive. I'll pay you a dollar to walk into NAACP meeting with that exact image on your shirt and sit through it. If no one takes offense, I'll declare you right.

Now someone is complaining about my avatar being political and offensive and wanting to force me to take it down. So, I'm just going with my original intention when I put it up. Not taking it down voluntarily until you take yours down. Or I'll just take whatever punishment is dealt out, even a permanent ban. But mine stays up or goes down with yours. Nothing else is an option. If you put up anything as controversial to replace it, I will also.

I'm just surprised it really took so long for someone to notice.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 15th, 2020 at 6:40:28 PM permalink

I put mine up however many months ago when you pretended no one found yours offensive. I'll pay you a dollar to walk into NAACP meeting with that exact image on your shirt and sit through it. If no one takes offense, I'll declare you right.

I do not care what small minded people think. I've had to work at a hotel had an NAACP convention. The people were arrogant about everything and racist to the point one woman was near shaking in fear to go out among them. Their officers have been caught lying about treatment by cops claiming racism where there was none.

Tell ya what, how about you treat it like we are told to treat the gay flag. Don't like it, don't look at it.

Quote:

Now someone is complaining about my avatar being political and offensive and wanting to force me to take it down. So, I'm just going with my original intention when I put it up. Not taking it down voluntarily until you take yours down. Or I'll just take whatever punishment is dealt out, even a permanent ban. But mine stays up or goes down with yours. Nothing else is an option. If you put up anything as controversial to replace it, I will also.

I'm just surprised it really took so long for someone to notice.

Try to imagine how much I care about yours. Or anyone else's for that matter. I lead my own life, don't follow other's lives.
Last edited by: AZDuffman on Jan 16, 2020
Minty
Minty
  • Threads: 7
Thanked by
Joeman
January 15th, 2020 at 7:31:28 PM permalink
What was the decision on signatures with a political slant? I would think the same rules would apply for avatars. Personally non of the pictures bother me, but that would be a precedent to look at.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 14
January 15th, 2020 at 7:56:02 PM permalink
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
rxwine
rxwine
January 15th, 2020 at 7:57:15 PM permalink

Try to imagine how much I care about yours. Or anyone else's for that matter. I lead my own life, don't follow other's lives.

Complain to Bobbartop. I didn't start this. What you do is up to you. I just outlined my conditions.
rxwine
rxwine
January 15th, 2020 at 8:04:22 PM permalink
Quote: jmills

Not to add fuel to the controversy of this thread, but I think that someone with a Pinochet avatar needs to pause before calling out someone else's political or controversial avatar.

: )
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 15th, 2020 at 11:40:58 PM permalink

Thanks, that makes sense. It does seem like this board more than most I've belonged to has some warm tempers, so maybe it's a necessary rule here.

Not to add fuel to the controversy of this thread, but I think that someone with a Pinochet avatar needs to pause before calling out someone else's political or controversial avatar.

If his avatar was just Trump, no big deal. If it was just Putin, no big deal. But he's got them both locking lips and sticking their tongues in each others' mouths.
rxwine
rxwine
January 16th, 2020 at 1:44:58 AM permalink

If his avatar was just Trump, no big deal. If it was just Putin, no big deal. But he's got them both locking lips and sticking their tongues in each others' mouths.

This parts just assumption. "and sticking their tongues in each others' mouths. "

Could be a Hollywood kiss. "the Hollywood Kiss; the perfectly-aimed, long, sensual yet tender, closed-mouth kiss that appears in countless movies and TV shows ."
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 16th, 2020 at 3:29:16 AM permalink

Complain to Bobbartop. I didn't start this. What you do is up to you. I just outlined my conditions.

And I said try to imagine how much I care. Nobody's avatar is affecting my life.
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 36
January 16th, 2020 at 4:51:54 AM permalink

If his avatar was just Trump, no big deal. If it was just Putin, no big deal.

That's Putin? I thought it was Mao! I just found it confusing. I guess we either need bigger avatars, or I need to get a better screen resolution (or better eyes)!
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 16th, 2020 at 5:54:57 AM permalink
Quote: Joeman

That's Putin? I thought it was Mao!

No, if it had been Mao, that would have been Nixon kissing him on the mouth.
billryan
billryan 
January 16th, 2020 at 9:30:55 AM permalink
A moderator told Bob his signature was against the rules and gave him a choice of taking it down or face suspension.
Not sure how he thinks that gives him authority to tell others what to do, but who knows what is on someone else's mind.
If you(as in anyone) think you see a violation of the brazzilion and one rulz, point it out to the moderators once and let them decide.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 16th, 2020 at 10:08:59 AM permalink

This parts just assumption. "and sticking their tongues in each others' mouths. "

Could be a Hollywood kiss. "the Hollywood Kiss; the perfectly-aimed, long, sensual yet tender, closed-mouth kiss that appears in countless movies and TV shows ."

I call it a hooker kiss.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 297
January 16th, 2020 at 10:09:51 AM permalink
My opinion:

The Avatars didnt bother me.

But they have now led down the road to this political discourse (in what is really a profanity subject thread) so they too should probably not be allowed if they make a political statement.

I know AZ is going to claim his avatar is not meant to represent any negativity but the pride of the South. Positive statements of a political nature are still political! (perhaps even moreso when other political leanings see those same symbols differently and AZ certainly is aware of that)

EDIT: For the record My Avatar is of an Evil Scarecrow, Tin Man and Lion. I.E., A Dark Oz
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 16th, 2020 at 1:40:27 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

If you(as in anyone) think you see a violation of the brazzilion and one rulz, point it out to the moderators once and let them decide.

So I'm supposed to be a snitch? Is that how you would do it, Bill?
TigerWu
TigerWu
January 16th, 2020 at 2:15:15 PM permalink

So I'm supposed to be a snitch? Is that how you would do it, Bill?

Sure, why not? This isn't freakin' prison... lol...
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 16th, 2020 at 3:05:56 PM permalink

Sure, why not? This isn't freakin' prison... lol...

Did you just use profanity? 3-day suspension.
jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 8
January 16th, 2020 at 4:41:27 PM permalink

Yeah, if I was a fan of Trump I would be offended, too. And I think you have a right to complain about it - it is a political statement. But having a picture of Pinochet seems to endorse a certain movement among people in this country, one that thinks violence against political rivals is acceptable. I don't know you, so I'm not suggesting you agree with this view. In fact, your posts usually come across as well-reasoned and respectful. Which is at total odds with that avatar.
bobbartop
bobbartop
January 16th, 2020 at 5:43:19 PM permalink

Yeah, if I was a fan of Trump I would be offended, too.

I'm not offended, I'm just playing around with rxwine. I think he knows that. I'm pretty easy going and kinda a goofball.
UP84
UP84
  • Threads: 3
January 17th, 2020 at 1:30:30 AM permalink

Symbol of the south?? It's America's swastika. Defeated nations should practice humility. Accept it and move on.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
January 17th, 2020 at 7:27:12 AM permalink
Quote: UP84

Symbol of the south?? It's America's swastika. Defeated nations should practice humility. Accept it and move on.

It's not. It's a flag. Its not equivalent to a Swastika at all....

Should Tibet flags be banned because China defeated them?
I guarantee your answer will vary based on your perception of the morals of the defeated nation....
TigerWu
TigerWu
January 17th, 2020 at 8:12:37 AM permalink
I predict this thread will be locked/deleted very soon...
bobbartop
bobbartop
Thanked by
TigerWuAZDuffmanDeMango
January 17th, 2020 at 8:21:26 AM permalink

I predict this thread will be locked/deleted very soon...

I delegate myself the authority. This thread is now locked.
darkoz
darkoz 
Thanked by
TigerWu
January 17th, 2020 at 8:30:31 AM permalink

Sadly, AZ is probably correct. Its a symbol of the South.

His only error is not understanding what "The South" represents as a symbol to a large swath of Americans.

To most minorities "The South", irregardless of a physical symbol or flag represents the land of slavery, oppression, the KKK, racial hatred, segregation and civil rights abuses.

I have friends of color who refuse to go down south because they still fear getting lynched even though they have never been there.

Like California makes some people think first of Earthquakes, "The South" represents some reprehensible things
TigerWu
TigerWu
January 17th, 2020 at 8:31:49 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Sadly, AZ is probably correct. Its a symbol of the South.

His only error is not understanding what "The South" represents as a symbol to a large swath of Americans.

Oh, he knows. That's why he's doing it.
UP84
UP84
  • Threads: 3
January 17th, 2020 at 5:01:00 PM permalink
Quote: Gandler

It's not. It's a flag. Its not equivalent to a Swastika at all....

Among other things, the swastika IS a flag.

I guarantee your answer will vary based on your perception of the morals of the defeated nation....

Totally agree, and that's the problem with the Stars and Bars
Gandler
Gandler
January 17th, 2020 at 7:25:14 PM permalink

Among other things, the swastika IS a flag.

Totally agree, and that's the problem with the Stars and Bars

Nobody here has the Stars and Bars as their profile pic. (not any member I can find). One person I know of has the Confederate Battle Flag as their avatar. Nobody has the swastika.

I have the Gay Pride Flag in my avatar which other members have tried to have removed (one saying "fag flags" should be banned). I beleive in free speech and acceptance. That has to go both ways.

Avatars are one of the few remaining ways to express our support since the political ban. Banning ideological symbols and flags from avatars will be over the top.

As to the original topic, if somebody has a spelled out curse word in their avatar, that should be banned.
TigerWu
TigerWu
Thanked by
DeMangoForager
January 17th, 2020 at 8:04:48 PM permalink

Avatars are one of the few remaining ways to express our support since the political ban. Banning ideological symbols and flags from avatars will be over the top.

Why do we need to express political support of anything in a gambling forum?
Gandler
Gandler
January 17th, 2020 at 9:18:33 PM permalink

Why do we need to express political support of anything in a gambling forum?

Because historically that has been a way people on this forum make their positions clear, especially back in the day of when there were heated political and ideological debates.

If mods remove all avatars and have nothing except a signature (like it used to be), that would be one thing. But, clearly they added avatars in the revamp as a way for people to express themselves (that is literally the point of an avatar). Once you start limiting symbols and overlays, it would get silly.

Either remove all avatars or just let people have anything (obviously nothing illegal or spam ads, but anything that most people would consider reasonable.....)
rxwine
rxwine
January 17th, 2020 at 9:50:10 PM permalink

Nobody here has the Stars and Bars as their profile pic. (not any member I can find).

Absolutely. His avatar isn't actually subversive political commentary looking similar to an item known to be offensive to many people. And mine isn't either. Mine's just about love.

Next I'm going to turn a duck into a chicken by adding some chicken feathers to it, and putting it in a chicken coop.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 18th, 2020 at 4:39:50 AM permalink

I have friends of color who refuse to go down south because they still fear getting lynched even though they have never been there.

If they are Black maybe if you inform them that they are statistically many times more likely to be killed by another Black than any White person? Leaves out some places in the south, New Orleans being the biggest tourist area they would want to avoid, but plenty safe elsewhere.
darkoz
darkoz 
January 18th, 2020 at 12:16:52 PM permalink

If they are Black maybe if you inform them that they are statistically many times more likely to be killed by another Black than any White person? Leaves out some places in the south, New Orleans being the biggest tourist area they would want to avoid, but plenty safe elsewhere.

That's not the point. We are talking about perceptions which are difficult to convince people to change. To them the south is synonymous with racism
Gandler
Gandler
January 18th, 2020 at 12:34:21 PM permalink

That's not the point. We are talking about perceptions which are difficult to convince people to change. To them the south is synonymous with racism

The South is far more diverse than the North.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 18th, 2020 at 1:10:35 PM permalink

So the point is perceptions are wrong?
darkoz
darkoz 
January 18th, 2020 at 1:35:26 PM permalink

So the point is perceptions are wrong?

The point is symbols generate perceptions

Like "The South" and your Avatar.

For example, The A-OK symbol (forefinger circle and three fingers in a raised wave behind it) means you are an A-hole in many countries

Is it right for me to use it? Sure. but if I am constantly doing it to people who recognize it as profanity, it's insulting to keep insisting I am doing nothing wrong
TigerWu
TigerWu
January 18th, 2020 at 2:39:29 PM permalink

The South is far more diverse than the North.

Probably from all the slave descendants.
  • Jump to: