23 members have voted

Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 972
Thanks for this post from:
Zuga
May 24th, 2017 at 1:20:41 PM permalink
In honor of Dan, I will be hosting a service for him at my house at 3:00 this Sunday (5/28/17). We are fortunate to have our own DJTeddyBear to lead the service. The service will have elements of the faith Dan was born into as well as the one he converted to as an adult. Guests will be encouraged to share a memory of Dan.

Guests may arrive as early as 2:00. I'd like to officially get started on time at 3:00. As usual, it is better to arrive early than late. After the service there will be snacks and drinks. If there is sufficient interest we may take things over to the Red Rock later for dinner and/or gambling.

It should be noted that I've been unable to reach Dan's wife or any family member. So this gathering will be for his friends and people he worked with through his gaming career. In the event I make contact with the family, I may cancel this if they are planning something already.

Please let me know here for by PM if you can make it and I'll give you the address in north Summerlin. The poll is for your RSVP.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 162
Zuga
May 24th, 2017 at 1:44:17 PM permalink
Mike -

Thanks to you and your family for opening your home and your heart in this manner.

After the discussions we had, it should come as no surprise that I voted that I'll be there. Thank you for asking me to do this. I'm honored beyond belief.

See you and the WoV gang Sunday.

Gang -

If you are in the area, please come. It is just a lucky coincidence that I'm coming to town Sunday.

I hate funerals and wakes as much as the next guy, but this should be a more relaxed occasion. Just a gathering to talk about and remember the friend we lost, combined with a brief religious service.

While the circumstances are most unfortunate, I look forward to it.

Reverend Dave Miller
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 68
May 24th, 2017 at 2:46:42 PM permalink
Strange that I can not find an obit for him, or is dan lubin a pen name?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
May 24th, 2017 at 3:13:44 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Strange that I can not find an obit for him, or is dan lubin a pen name?

Daniel Lubin was his real name. I think a lot of people go without an obituary. We never bothered with one for my father or father-in-law, who died in February.

This probably came as a surprise to everybody. The immediate survivors have enough stress as it is and adding the writing of an obituary to the list is just one more thing to stress over.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 68
May 24th, 2017 at 3:27:22 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Daniel Lubin was his real name. I think a lot of people go without an obituary. We never bothered with one for my father or father-in-law, who died in February.

This probably came as a surprise to everybody. The immediate survivors have enough stress as it is and adding the writing of an obituary to the list is just one more thing to stress over.

I always thought you had to run an obit to give creditors a chance to go after your estate. Just like when you fIle bankruptcy.
DJTeddyBear
DJTeddyBear
  • Threads: 162
May 24th, 2017 at 4:08:27 PM permalink
Don't most funeral homes post a listing showing times for services for each client, etc.?
Superstitions are silly, childish, irrational rituals, born out of fear of the unknown. But how much does it cost to knock on wood? Note that the same could be said for Religion. I.E. Religion is nothing more than organized superstition.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 79
May 24th, 2017 at 4:22:51 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I always thought you had to run an obit to give creditors a chance to go after your estate. Just like when you fIle bankruptcy.

This used to be the case, but now there is an online clearinghouse for death certificates. Certificate is posted/filed, creditors detect a match, claim is placed. It's pretty effective.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
May 24th, 2017 at 4:24:22 PM permalink
Quote: DJTeddyBear

Don't most funeral homes post a listing showing times for services for each client, etc.?

Yes. With an online guestbook/journal. I've been looking for one for Dan. Can't find it.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
May 24th, 2017 at 4:26:39 PM permalink
I can't make it to town for this service. But I'd be happy to help if there's anything that can be done remotely. Maybe I can chip in for snacks or supplies?
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Zuga
May 24th, 2017 at 4:34:59 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

I can't make it to town for this service. But I'd be happy to help if there's anything that can be done remotely. Maybe I can chip in for snacks or supplies?

Thanks for the offer but expenses should be pretty minimal. I request anyone wait until we can reach Dan's wife and give any gifts or offerings to her. They were going through some tough times financially, as I understand it, so I'm sure could use the help a lot more than me.

In other news, several people from outside the forum will probably attend. So don't be scared off by the two confirmations so far here.

• Jump to: