buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 18th, 2011 at 10:35:38 AM permalink
Although the name "Mad Hatter" was clearly done and inspired by the phrase "as mad as a hatter", there is some uncertainty as to the origins of this phrase. Mercury was used in the process of curing pelts used in some hats, making it impossible for hatters to avoid inhaling the mercury fumes given off during the hat making process; hatters and mill workers thus often suffered mercury poisoning, causing neurological damage, including confused speech and distorted vision. Hat making was the main trade in Stockport, near where Carroll grew up, and it was not unusual then for hatters to appear disturbed or confused; many died early as a result of mercury poisoning. However, the Hatter does not exhibit the symptoms of mercury poisoning, which include "excessive timidity, diffidence, increasing shyness, loss of self-confidence, anxiety, and a desire to remain unobserved and unobtrusive."

At least the Hatter had an excuse. Why drives product developers ( inventors) to continue in the face of new obstacles such as Bilski.
I still intend to be provisional patent pending on all 4 games in a month or less. In light of recent rulings I may have little if any protections, but I can not expect a distributor to invest in a game that I have not.
Have you ever seen a twilight Zone episode " One for the Angels " ? It starred Ed Wynn ( who was the voice of the Mad Hatter for Disney).
Lewis J. Bookman (played by Ed Wynn) is a street vendor living in a large city, a man who loves children, and especially the children in his apartment building. His quiet life is interrupted by a visit from Death himself, who has come to inform him of his approaching death that very night. Lewis Bookman tries to talk his way out of it to no avail—Death explains that postponements are very rare, reserved for hardship cases, or scientists on the verge of a great discovery, or for someone who has a great, unfinished work. Almost inadvertently, Lewis Bookman reveals that he has one lifelong goal he hasn’t achieved - a really great sales pitch, one that would make the heavens open up—a pitch for the angels. Death agrees to postpone Bookman’s death until he has a chance to make that pitch—which Bookman reveals will be never! If he makes no more sales pitches, he can’t die. So, Mr. Death makes other arrangements. At that moment, there is a traffic accident outside of the apartment building. One of the children from the apartment has been hit by a car. The little girl, critically wounded, can now see Mr. Death, who previously has been invisible to everyone except Lewis Bookman.

The doctor visits, and says that the critical hour will be midnight; if the girl makes it past midnight, she’ll be fine. Of course, midnight was the time of Death’s original appointment. The only hope that the little girl has is that Mr. Death will miss his appointment—which has never happened. So, shortly before midnight, Lewis Bookman starts a late-night sales pitch, with Death as his only potential customer - a truly great pitch, “one for the angels” which causes Mr. Death to miss his appointment, and the little girl lives. Which means, of course, that Mr. Death has kept his word, and Lewis J. Bookman’s time on this earth is over.

I hope to make a "truly great pitch" in Vegas next month. Even if the only result is I get pitched out in the gutter, at least I will have tried. And be able to get these numbers running around inside my head to stop.

The forum question is " What is your Madness " ???
odiousgambit
odiousgambit 
  • Threads: 326
July 18th, 2011 at 11:21:51 AM permalink
It's probably true that most of us wind up with passions that are unrelated to our work!
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
kp
kp
  • Threads: 7
July 18th, 2011 at 11:48:46 AM permalink
Quote: buzzpaff

What is your Madness?

Trying a new beer. But I'm gradually getting over that.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 18th, 2011 at 12:11:09 PM permalink
Wow. A post with both Lewis Carrol and The twilight Zone. Cool.

BTW, that's a rare episode, in that I don't recall ever seeing it, nor do I recall reading about it before.

BTW II Next time you do something like this, begin the post with "Submitted for your approval..." ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
July 18th, 2011 at 1:50:09 PM permalink
I sure hope your pitch is directly to the point and brief, unlike your post.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
July 19th, 2011 at 6:42:56 AM permalink
Actually I can pitch each game in under 30 seconds for a total of less than 2 minutes.

If not thrown out by then I can demonstrate all 4 within 13 minutes.

My ideas are simple but the results are complex.
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
July 19th, 2011 at 3:03:46 PM permalink
If anybody wants to see that episode it's on netflix Twilight Zone season 1 episode 2
  • Jump to: