zbrownson
zbrownson
  • Threads: 9
January 14th, 2024 at 6:33:31 PM permalink
I am working on a new poker game that offers an ante bonus very similar to 3-card poker. It has no affect on the base ante wager so long as the player does not fold. I am in a debate with the math analyst over whether or not this should be worded as a "to-1" bet or a "for-1" bet.

Technically it shouldn't matter, although for-1 seems more confusing to me for this situation so I want to avoid putting it on a layout. Regardless of how it is worded the bonus will never lose. If it the proper outcome triggers it, it will pay relative to the Ante bonus. There is no explicit wager to return to the player or collect. I feel like 3-card poker has set the precedence with using to-1 on its layouts, however the math analyst disagreed saying it would be commonly understood to use for-1 in this situation. Curious what others here think/expect, or would either be deemed acceptable?
YouDontSay00
YouDontSay00
  • Threads: 4
January 14th, 2024 at 7:09:58 PM permalink
I think you are correct, if I'm understanding correctly. If you look at the progressive payouts on 3 card poker, it says for 1, because they take the dollar and it is not returned. However on 3card you get a ante bonus for a straight, 3 of a kind and straight flush. All which the dealer could possibly beat and the bonus is still paid. The player loses his bet but still gets his bonus if dealer does it correctly. However this is few and far between, so it's just labeled to 1.
7NeverWins
7NeverWins
  • Threads: 1
January 14th, 2024 at 7:21:14 PM permalink
The $1 progressive bets are XX for 1 and the Ante Bonus is 1 to 1, 4 to or 5 to 1 for Straight, Three of a Kind and Straight Flush respectively.

There have been a number of arguments from dealers, players and floor persons about what happens if a Straight by the Player is beaten by the Dealer's hand. Most unanimously agree the Play Wager LOSES, the Original Ante Wager LOSES, but the Ante Bonus gets paid.

However if were to be paid 1 to 1 as the felt indicates, you should NOT lose your original Ante wager as the 1 : 1 payout included getting back your original wager PLUS the Ante Bonus. The way they pay a Losing Player Straight is, you get the Ante Bonus in lieu of the Ante Wager, which essentially makes it a Push.
YouDontSay00
YouDontSay00
  • Threads: 4
January 14th, 2024 at 7:42:20 PM permalink
I hear what you are saying, I dont know how you would label it though. However, it is the way it was meant as far as design. It is a little funky. It does not happen that often, it not something I would raise a stink about. I know in gaming everything should go by the letter of law. But, oh well. I suppose if it bothered someone that much they can go talk to a gaming commission.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
Thanked by
zbrownson
January 15th, 2024 at 5:01:17 AM permalink
I think I would use the "x" notation. For example, the Ante Bonus pays, based on the Ante:

Straight: 1x
Three of a kind: 4x
Straight flush: 5x
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
  • Jump to: