superd
superd
  • Threads: 2
October 18th, 2023 at 12:45:45 PM permalink
Was driving through Kentucky and went to the HHR slot racino in Louisville and they had some VP machines.

Curious how the algorithm would work since there is a second event in a single spin to pick cards to keep in video poker.

If you’re betting on historical horse races, shouldn’t the rng pick your picks when you hit deal ? Should it even matter what cards you keep to draw if you’ve already randomly made wagers on old horse races? Or are you picking the horses to bet on when you select which cards you keep ?

Burning question in my mind can’t seem to find any info on it on how it would work.
superd
superd
October 18th, 2023 at 1:08:19 PM permalink
Scenario, is this how it works:

If you’re watering a dollar, hit deal and the result of your random horse bets is win $1

Board displays JJxxx

You pick JJ, draw automatically doesn’t improve , pays $1

You don’t keep any cards, does machine engineer a $1 win on the draw and display QQxxx when you mess up by not keeping JJ if it was an actual VP machine shuffling a deck of cards with rng?
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 18th, 2023 at 1:32:41 PM permalink
I have programmed similar video poker games for different lottery markets and we generally had a second method to make a payout after the hand ranking. Some use a genie that awards credits and some use a match card that awards credits after the hand is over. We used that method when a player held the wrong cards and couldn't win the expected amount.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 260
October 18th, 2023 at 4:33:30 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

I have programmed similar video poker games for different lottery markets and we generally had a second method to make a payout after the hand ranking. Some use a genie that awards credits and some use a match card that awards credits after the hand is over. We used that method when a player held the wrong cards and couldn't win the expected amount.
link to original post

Can i pay you to teach me the things you know? This is supoosed to sound fun and joking but im serious
superd
superd
October 18th, 2023 at 4:43:46 PM permalink

link to original post

I did notice the machine had small text that said something like “payout adjustment” but was only giving a few cents. So if you’re dealt a royal and kept 4 cards by mistake it would give you a pair then make the rest of the payout via the adjustment.

Thanks for the info that makes sense. Idk why people would play these machines, glad I just did my free play and got out of dodge with a double up of the free play amount.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
October 18th, 2023 at 5:57:04 PM permalink
Quote: heatmap

Can i pay you to teach me the things you know? This is supoosed to sound fun and joking but im serious

Sorry, unless you can convince me that you are wealthy and like to blow money, you will have to settle for the few nuggets that I throw out here.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
heatmap
heatmap
  • Threads: 260
October 18th, 2023 at 7:11:33 PM permalink

Quote: heatmap

Sorry, unless you can convince me that you are wealthy and like to blow money, you will have to settle for the few nuggets that I throw out here.
link to original post

That’s not a no. I hate to devolve all of the terms of services you just agreed to. So i wont.
  • Jump to: