scoob
scoob
  • Threads: 3
May 13th, 2014 at 9:27:37 AM permalink
So, I am playing 9-7-5 DB progressive last night with the royal at 5,880 coins and the straight flush at 480. I assumed that the payback was at or near 100%, although being over 100% is not a big concern as I am getting 5x points and the next best games are NSUD and 9/6 Jacks. I knew I was getting the best of it and it was better than the other options at the time (at least from an EV standpoint).

Anyway, I checked the wizard's analyzer when I got home, and it is just over 100%. What I'm most curious about are the strategy changes, however. Since both the straight flush and royal pays are significantly higher, the only strategy change I was making was to discard the blank suited card with a two-card royal draw (keeping K-J, instead of K-J-4, for instance).

After checking the wizard's analyzer for strategy adjustments, it turned out that I was not exactly correct. There were still many of these that I should not have been changing, and some others that I should. Unfortunately, I can't tell how incorrect I was. My guess is that making this global change was still a positive adjustment over basic strategy, but I'm not sure how to tell.

I know DB is a little unique with the flush and straight payouts, and it further complicated by having two progressives (actually three with the four aces, but I hit them last night and reset to 800), but does anyone have an easy rule of thumb for strategy changes on this game?

I'll be back there this afternoon, hoping the progressives are still there.
scoob
scoob
May 13th, 2014 at 1:53:08 PM permalink
Ok, better question, hopefully. Would you:

a) Memorize a bunch of strategy adjustments, based on the Wizard's analyzer (hoping the progressives will still be there).

b) Use the simplified strategy adjustments I used yesterday

c) Use different simplified strategy adjustments

d) Just use basic strategy

e) Quit being so damn anal-retentive
JoePloppy
JoePloppy
  • Threads: 1
May 13th, 2014 at 2:26:47 PM permalink
C. .
2/3
JoePloppy
JoePloppy
  • Threads: 1
May 13th, 2014 at 2:32:55 PM permalink
Quote: JoePloppy

C. .

If you want to be led by another blind man I can try-

I would snap a quick pic of the progressives. Go take a fake dump. Punch it into the wizards analyzer. Write the strategy adjustments on a paper. Use the paper.

I had similar questions on a thread I made :

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gambling/video-poker/18063-help-with-bonus-poker-progressive/
2/3
pokerface
pokerface
  • Threads: 12
May 13th, 2014 at 2:37:44 PM permalink
winning streaks come and go, losing streak never ends.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
May 13th, 2014 at 2:39:59 PM permalink
Quote: pokerface

Watch out for 88 though. Tricky hand.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
pokerface
pokerface
  • Threads: 12
May 13th, 2014 at 2:55:37 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

Watch out for 88 though. Tricky hand.

Don't worry.
As long as you never split 88, you can win in "the long run"
winning streaks come and go, losing streak never ends.
scoob
scoob
May 13th, 2014 at 3:16:10 PM permalink
Thanks for all the sage advice. I've decided to just disregard all penalty cards when drawing to a royal or straight flush. Think that gets me where I want to go without too much effort.

And I'm going to stop splitting those damn eights. Maybe start splitting fives instead.
  • Jump to: