Thread Rating:

fullpay2w
fullpay2w
  • Threads: 1
December 18th, 2013 at 1:34:50 PM permalink
I was reading some of the WizardofOdds rules on 2WFP and someone had asked if they should play the double up feature on the machines that have it.

Can someone verify this for me? Is that something that should be done or should not be done?

THanks

P.S. I looked for a way to search the forum and could not find it. So I apologize if this has been asked/answered.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
December 18th, 2013 at 2:04:13 PM permalink
If you are referring to "full pay deuces wild" more commonly abbreviated FPDW, you shouldn't play the double up feature from an expected value perspective since the base game pays 100.76% with optimal strategy. The double up feature only pays 100%.

If you play a video poker game below 100% return, then the double up wager is the better wager, but one has to also consider the effects of doubling up on a player's bankroll. Repeatedly doubling up either will make you win big or go broke fast.
MangoJ
MangoJ
  • Threads: 10
December 18th, 2013 at 2:38:15 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

you shouldn't play the double up feature from an expected value perspective since the base game pays 100.76% with optimal strategy.
[...]
If you play a video poker game below 100% return, then the double up wager is the better wager.

Sorry I can't follow your logic. I mean I fully understand your arguments, the resulting "average EV" (meaning averaged over all stakes of the main game and the double up feature) is smaller for +EV main games and higher for -EV main games.

If you would apply your logic, say on a hypotetical -2% main game and a -1% side game - would you really suggest always to play the side game ? Yes it reduces the "average EV" from -2% to -1.5%, but you also increase your stake. The side game is still -EV, and if you have the option to play or not to play, then the EV argument is clearly not to play the side game (while the "average EV" argument is always to play).

For video poker (or any other game) with a fair double up feature, EV-wise it simply doesn't matter if you double up or not. But pure EV-arguments are not realistic, you won't sell your house for a tiny +EV bet. In reality everyone is risk-averse to a certain limit, and any finite risk-awareness dictates to not play the double up, even when playing FPDW.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
December 18th, 2013 at 8:08:01 PM permalink
Quote: MangoJ

If you would apply your logic, say on a hypotetical -2% main game and a -1% side game - would you really suggest always to play the side game ?

No, because like you said, you are increasing the stakes of the game, and if you keep playing it, you're either getting a royal equivalent, or going home broke. Most of the time going home broke. I would play it for whatever amount of variance the player was comfortable with.
  • Jump to: