razmaspaz
razmaspaz
  • Threads: 5
March 13th, 2017 at 10:26:57 AM permalink
I'm planning out my trip that starts this Sunday night. I'm staying at MGM (not by choice) on the company dime, but that also means there is a lot of requisite actual work to be done. I'll be tied up every day, and some evenings, but I'm never one to shy away from having a little fun.

I've got a lot of pre-canned event stuff, including a keynote by Will Smith, and Amy Schumer standup, both of which I'm pretty excited about from a conference perks standpoint. Hopefully they deliver.

As far as my own time, I'm there with co-workers, but I'll do my best to kind of do my own thing when I can. The only concrete plan I've got right now is heading over to Orleans straight after checkin to play a couple hours blackjack. I'll leave out the details, but their promo seems like it has potential, and otherwise the BJ is cheap. Unfortunately I don't arrive at the airport until 10:30 PM.

Beyond that I doubt I have much time to escape the strip to go as far as downtown, so I'm thinking of making an evening up at Palms VP and Gold Coast BJ (I have some coupons for both left over from last time).

Any other suggestions for flying solo while on the strip? I can't bring myself to pay MGM a dime for terrible blackjack/VP so I may head up to either Paris or Cromwell to feel a little better about things. The 100x odds on $10 craps seems enticing at Cromwell.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
March 13th, 2017 at 11:17:52 AM permalink
I think this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone heading to a CET property for its good blackjack.
Enjoy!
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
razmaspaz
razmaspaz
March 13th, 2017 at 11:37:46 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

I think this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone heading to a CET property for its good blackjack.
Enjoy!

Yeah, that's a fair point. Last time I stuck to TI for my BJ on the Strip. Paris and Cromwell give up very little in HE and are only a couple minutes away from MGM. I honestly didn't find much, if anything worthy of sitting down at south of City Center. Options are Tropicana (sometimes $10), Hooters, or step up to $25/hand, which I will certainly bet from time to time, but I prefer to stay below for table minimums. As an aside, MGM no longer has the $25 S17 game, right?

The problem, when you can't commit 4-8 hours to playing somewhere, the uber/bus/car rental negates the difference in house edge, and takes time, so when I've got 1-2 hours here or there, even the commute from MGM to TI isn't worth my time. With the bridge closed to the Trop, even the Trop is almost as far as Paris.
SiegfriedRoy
SiegfriedRoy
  • Threads: 20
March 13th, 2017 at 12:15:43 PM permalink
You're right. The only place on the strip which has decent low-limit BJ rules on the strip is the TI. I've seen as low as $5 min on a weekday morning.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
March 13th, 2017 at 12:51:21 PM permalink
Quote: razmaspaz

As an aside, MGM no longer has the $25 S17 game, right?...

That game existed for non-blackjack purposes IMO. If you count you'd want to avoid it anyways... If not, then the Mirage sometimes has their S17 DD game for $25.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
razmaspaz
razmaspaz
March 13th, 2017 at 12:57:26 PM permalink
I don't count, at least not in a capacity that I would consider doing it live. Are you saying the game was a honeypot of sorts? I'll keep that in mind for mirage, that has to be the best game on the strip in terms of limit/rules if it is really open, no?
  • Jump to: