dajakesta
dajakesta
  • Threads: 23
December 12th, 2016 at 6:53:35 PM permalink
Hi guys, I memorized wizard's simple strategy and I find that it just doesn't cut it. I stumbled upon the advanced strategy and have some questions about his wording. For example, can anyone explain what any highest kicker means? I understand what a kicker is in poker but the wording here has got me confused. For example, on one part it says raise AA or KK with any highest kicker except 7 does this mean raise with any kicker above 7? (6Q section)
jopke
jopke
  • Threads: 5
January 13th, 2017 at 4:32:22 PM permalink
Don't know which strategy you are using, but I would interpret that as "raise if you have the highest possible kicker, as long as that kicker is not 7"
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
January 13th, 2017 at 5:12:55 PM permalink
Quote: dajakesta

Hi guys, I memorized wizard's simple strategy and I find that it just doesn't cut it. I stumbled upon the advanced strategy and have some questions about his wording. For example, can anyone explain what any highest kicker means? I understand what a kicker is in poker but the wording here has got me confused. For example, on one part it says raise AA or KK with any highest kicker except 7 does this mean raise with any kicker above 7? (6Q section)

Note: The page you're referencing I only found by searching the site. It's not listed in the index or linked to the basic strategy page for some reason. Maybe someone could put the internal link on over there? Or maybe I'm not seeing it?

Basic strategy page
https://wizardofodds.com/games/ultimate-texas-hold-em/

Advanced strategy page
https://wizardofodds.com/games/ultimate-texas-hold-em/strategy/

Anyway...

The particular 6Q hole cards situation is (to my best understanding) affected by the Effect of Removal (EoR) of the cards used already (and so, not in the dealer's hand) on the board. The board in this specialized case would be something like, AA743. That pushes the average value of the dealer's hand up a little, because a 4 and 3 are used up on the board, so are not in the dealer's hand.

What that "except 7" means is, there are enough times the board's 7 will play against your 6 as a second kicker (dealer will have Q,little) that it's the difference on whether you should raise or fold the hand. It will be a tiny, tiny percentage, but the play is either -ev or +ev, and that's the difference between them.

If you look down, you will see an expanding pattern of this holding Q,5 Q,4 etc.

I.could be wrong about exactly how this is calculated. But that's what the notation means; with those exact hole cards fold the Q,6 if there's a 7 as the highest board card below the pair of Aces or Kings.

The thing is, your 6 HAS to play for you to win the hand if you and the dealer both have Q's, and the board's 7 HAS to play in both hands unless the dealer's 2nd card pairs something on the board. so if 2 little cards are used up, they're not in the dealer's hand, and that tips the balance on the 7.

A note on 3Q hand, just below this one on the advanced strat page. I think there's a typo, and the note for "any K,J,2" the 2 should be T (ten).
Last edited by: beachbumbabs on Jan 13, 2017
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
  • Jump to: