Thread Rating:

chaunceyb3
chaunceyb3
Joined: Feb 22, 2013
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 346
February 27th, 2016 at 7:42:54 PM permalink
Many stories seem to come up repeatedly when chatting with other gamblers- here are three popular tales. Are they urban legends or do they have a hint of truth to them? Feel free to share other stories you've heard.

---

Pai Gow Poker

A down-on-his-luck gambler is playing Pai Gow Poker with his last few dollars, betting the table minimum with no bonus bet. Miraculously, he is dealt a 7 card straight flush. He turns to the player next to him, who is playing the bonus, shows his rare hand to him and says: "Give me half of your envy bonus or I'm tossing this hand away." The player refuses to share. The down-on-his-luck gambler quickly slides his cards into the discard tray, forfeits his bet, and leaves the table.

Alternate Version: The player agrees to share the envy bonus with the gambler, then tells him to screw off after he receives the $5,000 in cheques.



---

Low Stakes Limit Hold'em

Two old timers who have a mutual dislike for each other are playing a low stakes poker game, when a hand comes up on the river. The board shows two jacks and two kings, and there is an enormous bad beat jackpot. The first player bets, the second player raises, the first player re-raises, and after several more raises, the first player is all-in.

The first player proudly shows his pocket jacks. The other players at the table anxiously turn to the second player, knowing he is a tight player who only plays good hands and a bad beat jackpot is possible.

The second player flashes his cards- pocket kings, so only the dealer sees them, then slides his cards into the muck. He says to the first player: "Bob, I hate your guts so much, I'd rather kill myself then see you win the bad beat jackpot."



---

World Series of Poker

A preliminary event at the World Series of Poker is on break, and a young player who is the tournament chip leader overhears the following conversation between two old time road gamblers in the hallway.

"Hey Sam, you still in this tournament?"

"Yeah Paul, I got about a hundred thousand in chips."

"That's about what I have", says Paul. "You wanna swap 20%?"

"Alright, let's do it. Good luck." They shake hands and part ways.

The young player waits until Sam walks far away, then runs up to Paul and says: "Sorry to bother you, sir. I just want to let you know, Sam was playing at my table. He just busted before the break."

Paul laughs and says; "That's alright, I didn't even enter this tournament."

miplet
miplet
Joined: Dec 1, 2009
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 1628
February 27th, 2016 at 7:52:17 PM permalink
This is one I've heard regarding UTH:

Player flopped the Royal for the progressive and was given a check. The next day while reviewing the tapes, it was discovered that the dealer did the wrong 3 cards for the flop. The casino called the player and said to bring the check back and they will issue one for the right amount (just 5% of the jackpot).
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
Joined: May 21, 2013
  • Threads: 76
  • Posts: 9045
February 27th, 2016 at 8:08:03 PM permalink
This is a really old one about Caribbean Stud that every dealer I've met has heard. Happened more than 25 years ago, when the game was hot and new.

Caribbean Stud is a game with a $1 progressive jackpot; top hand is the Royal. The game regularly got north of $250K on the jackpot when it was hot, with all tables in the network contributing (whatever the network is), and the Royal being rare using 5 cards out of 5. 2 tables of Caribbean Stud in this particular Casino, each has 1 spot open. Guy and his wife approach; the guy loves the game, the wife has never played it, and he's supposed to be teaching her. He wants to play so badly, he makes her sit down and play at the other table as well, even though she doesn't know what to do. He tells her to just bet everything she can at the minimum, and the dealer will help.

So she sits down and starts to play and pretty soon, (beginner's luck or whatever) she gets the Royal. She jumps up and, even though the other people are reaching for her to stop her, she runs over to her husband with her cards, screaming "Honey! Look at my hand! Look what I won!" And because she removed her hand from over the felt of the table they were dealt to, the casino did not pay the Royal, either the main game bonus or the jackpot. Not one dime.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
Joined: Jul 3, 2015
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 3403
February 27th, 2016 at 8:22:37 PM permalink
I've heard that one as well.

Here is one that I witnessed at the Seminole casino poker room personally.

At a table next to me the bad beat was hit for somewhere between 100-150k

While they were waiting to be paid- one of the players left ( he was not in the hand)
He never returned

In Florida at the time (they still may) they checked got child support owed
He owed so he just left so he didn't get arrested and money seized and given to her anyway ( I think without him signing) they could not give it to his ex
They did pay everyone else at the table
NOW HIRING!!!! REQUEST INFO VIA PM
chaunceyb3
chaunceyb3
Joined: Feb 22, 2013
  • Threads: 22
  • Posts: 346
February 27th, 2016 at 8:39:35 PM permalink
Quote: Wizardofnothing

I've heard that one as well.

Here is one that I witnessed at the Seminole casino poker room personally.

At a table next to me the bad beat was hit for somewhere between 100-150k

While they were waiting to be paid- one of the players left ( he was not in the hand)
He never returned

In Florida at the time (they still may) they checked got child support owed
He owed so he just left so he didn't get arrested and money seized and given to her anyway ( I think without him signing) they could not give it to his ex
They did pay everyone else at the table



Reminds me of the story of journalist Tony Balandran, who hit a 7 card straight flush at a casino in Harrah's North Kansas City. Because he was on the Missouri Voluntary Self-Exclusion Program, he was denied the jackpot and was arrested as well for criminal trespass. (Google: Tony Balandran)
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 115
  • Posts: 12594
February 27th, 2016 at 8:49:28 PM permalink
Quote: chaunceyb3

Many stories seem to come up repeatedly when chatting with other gamblers- here are three popular tales. Are they urban legends or do they have a hint of truth to them? Feel free to share other stories you've heard.

---

Pai Gow Poker

A down-on-his-luck gambler is playing Pai Gow Poker with his last few dollars, betting the table minimum with no bonus bet. Miraculously, he is dealt a 7 card straight flush. He turns to the player next to him, who is playing the bonus, shows his rare hand to him and says: "Give me half of your envy bonus or I'm tossing this hand away." The player refuses to share. The down-on-his-luck gambler quickly slides his cards into the discard tray, forfeits his bet, and leaves the table.

Alternate Version: The player agrees to share the envy bonus with the gambler, then tells him to screw off after he receives the $5,000 in cheques.



---

Low Stakes Limit Hold'em

Two old timers who have a mutual dislike for each other are playing a low stakes poker game, when a hand comes up on the river. The board shows two jacks and two kings, and there is an enormous bad beat jackpot. The first player bets, the second player raises, the first player re-raises, and after several more raises, the first player is all-in.

The first player proudly shows his pocket jacks. The other players at the table anxiously turn to the second player, knowing he is a tight player who only plays good hands and a bad beat jackpot is possible.

The second player flashes his cards- pocket kings, so only the dealer sees them, then slides his cards into the muck. He says to the first player: "Bob, I hate your guts so much, I'd rather kill myself then see you win the bad beat jackpot."



---

World Series of Poker

A preliminary event at the World Series of Poker is on break, and a young player who is the tournament chip leader overhears the following conversation between two old time road gamblers in the hallway.

"Hey Sam, you still in this tournament?"

"Yeah Paul, I got about a hundred thousand in chips."

"That's about what I have", says Paul. "You wanna swap 20%?"

"Alright, let's do it. Good luck." They shake hands and part ways.

The young player waits until Sam walks far away, then runs up to Paul and says: "Sorry to bother you, sir. I just want to let you know, Sam was playing at my table. He just busted before the break."

Paul laughs and says; "That's alright, I didn't even enter this tournament."

The Poker bad beat jackpot story is somewhat true.

I don't remember all the exact details so don't jump on me if something is off. I have mentioned it before.

This happen in Laughlin at the Riverside casino between 2001 and 2007.

Side notes: Riverside at the time, and possibly still now. Dealers had to pay the poker room manager a fee to deal for the day. IIRC it was $20 to $40

The long time old school poker room manager was stealing from the customers for years. This took place during the popular $10 and $20 multiple re-buy and add-on tournaments. He made himself especially available during the tournaments handling many of the re-buys himself. He wouldn't add all the money back to the prize money from the re-buys. He even played in the tournaments himself sometimes. Local pros had suspected this for a while and a few finally got together and kept track of each buy-in.

Bad beat for everyone:

I believe they went to a $50k starting bad beat jackpot, it was not progressive. IIRC they ended that soon after because it hit multiple times fairly quickly.

The game was 2 to 6 holdem. Many retired old timers played poker there daily as if it was a 9 to 5 job. I played there often in between other plays.

The guy who mucked the Bad Beat hand. His nick name was Honda. I believe it was just his his nick name and it was given to him because of the Honda baseball cap he wore every day. I'm assuming he was 70 to 80 years old. He seemed nice to me and most people seemed to like and respect him. Rumor has it he was fairly wealthy.

Apparently Honda disliked a middle aged player who I believe oftentimes struggled with money. They had some ongoing beef.

I don't know how it all came down or what cards they both held, but both hands were shown but not tabled. Because Honda knew it would help his nemesis he sabotaged the 50k bad beat. He explained exactly what he was doing and why then proceed to muck his hand.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
rsactuary
rsactuary
Joined: Sep 6, 2014
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 767
February 27th, 2016 at 8:58:23 PM permalink
I've heard all those stories, under completely different circumstances. I doubt any of them to be true.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 115
  • Posts: 12594
February 27th, 2016 at 9:05:31 PM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

I've heard all those stories, under completely different circumstances. I doubt any of them to be true.

The Bad beat story is true unless everyone involved was lying. I'm sure there's still employees and players there that were involved.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Wizardofnothing
Wizardofnothing
Joined: Jul 3, 2015
  • Threads: 118
  • Posts: 3403
February 27th, 2016 at 9:13:19 PM permalink
It happens in Florida all the time/ people hit a jackpot and then leave the casino because they cannot collect it because of child support- they run you for child support when you hit one
NOW HIRING!!!! REQUEST INFO VIA PM
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
Joined: Jan 12, 2010
  • Threads: 63
  • Posts: 10694
February 27th, 2016 at 9:16:49 PM permalink
So instead of having some CS debt wiped out and you get nothing, they'd rather have the debt not be less and still get nothing. Pretty stupid if you ask me.
"And that's the bottom lineeeee, cuz Stone Cold said so!"

  • Jump to: