vivaphx
vivaphx
  • Threads: 2
October 30th, 2019 at 12:54:18 PM permalink
Hello, I played a prob bet when I was in Vegas last weekend. It was for Game 5 of the World Series. There were 3 options to this prop bet. After three full innings are played will the game be:
A. Astros Winning
B. Nationals Winning
C. The game will be tied +200

I placed a bet on the game being tied at +200. My ticket listed both starting pitchers. Cole vs Scherzer. The only problem is about 2-3 hours before the game started Scherzer was scratched. He was replaced by Ross and Scherzer never threw a single pitch that entire game. Should this be treated like a normal game where it is basically a no-contest and the money is just refunded no matter what the result is? The game was not tied after 3 innings. When they ran the ticket through the machine it said it was a Loss. The computer listed the ticket as Cole vs Ross, but that was not what was written down on my ticket. I think they should've refunded me my money. Instead they said prop bets do not follow the same rules and they ruled it a loss.

So... Any thoughts here? The ticket was for $50.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
October 30th, 2019 at 1:00:21 PM permalink
Quote: vivaphx

Hello, I played a prob bet when I was in Vegas last weekend. It was for Game 5 of the World Series. There were 3 options to this prop bet. After three full innings are played will the game be:
A. Astros Winning
B. Nationals Winning
C. The game will be tied +200

I placed a bet on the game being tied at +200. My ticket listed both starting pitchers. Cole vs Scherzer. The only problem is about 2-3 hours before the game started Scherzer was scratched. He was replaced by Ross and Scherzer never threw a single pitch that entire game. Should this be treated like a normal game where it is basically a no-contest and the money is just refunded no matter what the result is? The game was not tied after 3 innings. When they ran the ticket through the machine it said it was a Loss. The computer listed the ticket as Cole vs Ross, but that was not what was written down on my ticket. I think they should've refunded me my money. Instead they said prop bets do not follow the same rules and they ruled it a loss.

So... Any thoughts here? The ticket was for $50.

If it was a listed pitchers bet, it should be off and you get a refund. From your description it sounds like that’s what it was. The other way to Ml bet is called an “action bet” that stays on even if there is a pitcher change.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
October 30th, 2019 at 1:40:29 PM permalink
I concur with Unjon.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
October 30th, 2019 at 4:33:51 PM permalink
First, forgive my ignorance, but how can a baseball game end in a tie?

Second, I think if the ticket indicated the names of the pitchers, then both of them must throw at least one pitch for the bet to have action, otherwise it's refunded.

Third, in my experience, you have to specifically request a baseball bet be "listed pitchers," otherwise it will have action regardless of who is pitching. Winning odds will not necessarily be those on the ticket if this happens. It sounds like you didn't make this request.

In summary, I think the ticket did have action and you lost. I think it was misleading to put the names of the pitchers on the ticket, but that isn't enough to win a dispute over it.

BTW, I lost a good and long friendship over a baseball bet that I booked over a listed pitcher change. There was a huge argument about how it should have been handled and many years later we still are barely on speaking terms over it.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
michael99000
michael99000
  • Threads: 9
October 30th, 2019 at 5:09:04 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Second, I think if the ticket indicated the names of the pitchers, then both of them must throw at least one pitch for the bet to have action, otherwise it's refunded.

Third, in my experience, you have to specifically request a baseball bet be "listed pitchers," otherwise it will have action regardless of who is pitching. Winning odds will not necessarily be those on the ticket if this happens. It sounds like you didn't make this request.

In summary, I think the ticket did have action and you lost. I think it was misleading to put the names of the pitchers on the ticket, but that isn't enough to win a dispute over it.

BTW, I lost a good and long friendship over a baseball bet that I booked over a listed pitcher change. There was a huge argument about how it should have been handled and many years later we still are barely on speaking terms over it.

His bet was for the score at the end of the 3rd inning. So a tie was possible.
unJon
unJon
  • Threads: 14
October 30th, 2019 at 5:15:50 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Defer to others, but in my experience the default is a listed bet not action bet except for full game money line.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
October 30th, 2019 at 5:26:08 PM permalink
Quote: unJon

Defer to others, but in my experience the default is a listed bet not action bet except for full game money line.

I didn't know this was a first three-inning bet. I now see that was stated in my original post, so my bad. Never even heard of that before, just first five innings. I do not know the norm on those with the listed pitchers. I will say that on a money line bet, unless listed pitcher(s) only is otherwise stated, all bets have action.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
October 30th, 2019 at 9:01:09 PM permalink
The ticket should say either 'listed' or 'action' somewhere on it. If it says 'listed' it would be considered no-action. If it says 'action' it should be at whatever the opening odds are on the new pitcher. If it doesn't say either of those things, it should go as written.

The whole idea of refunding bets because of a lineup change has always been wrong. To continue doing it in 2019 is just ridiculous. NBA players sitting out as a game time decision seems more common than MLB pitchers getting changed, with a far bigger impact on the odds. The Rays have been good about always naming their starting pitcher the day before, but when other teams have tried using the opener, they haven't always been on top of it. I would love to see significant customer service problems as sports betting expands and the use of the opener gets more widespread and perhaps less transparent
  • Jump to: