Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
October 12th, 2015 at 3:04:56 PM permalink
I might be a homer, but I like the Sixers at over 21 wins this year. Would feel better at 20.5 but 21 and 21.5 seem to be the number. The roster will turn over many of the players from 8-14 (Joel Embiib is 15 all year) and they still don't have a point guard, but they are better than last year with Okafor and Noel in year 2.

Anyone else look at the numbers and have any gut feelings on value wagers?
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
October 12th, 2015 at 5:35:52 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

I might be a homer, but I like the Sixers at over 21 wins this year. Would feel better at 20.5 but 21 and 21.5 seem to be the number. The roster will turn over many of the players from 8-14 (Joel Embiib is 15 all year) and they still don't have a point guard, but they are better than last year with Okafor and Noel in year 2.

Anyone else look at the numbers and have any gut feelings on value wagers?

Wow, the Sixers must really suck
21 wins is not a lot in the NBA
If its a struggle to win 21, might as well not even try.
Better off winning less then 21 due to better draft position

No real gut feelings or value wagers.
I do play fantasy basketball for money, season format , so more interested in individual players rather then teams.
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
October 12th, 2015 at 6:17:14 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Wow, the Sixers must really suck
21 wins is not a lot in the NBA
If its a struggle to win 21, might as well not even try.
Better off winning less then 21 due to better draft position

"Sixers must REALLY suck" ----ya think?

The last two years their win over/unders have been 16.5 and 15.5. LOL. I looked at the over both years, but just couldn't pull the trigger. :( In the NBA home court is a big advantage. With 41 home games, even a really bad team should win some games against the lower third of teams in the NBA. Then you add in the NBA's 'funny' scheduling that has teams coming in on the 4th or 5th game of a long road trip and a couple upset road wins and you are at 15 or 16. But as I said I just couldn't do it.

They did go over both years at 18 and 19 wins. But last year if you had bet the 'over' you were probably pretty worried when they started the season 0-17. LOL.

Sixers have been 'playing for a lottery pick' for several years (it seems like EVERY year). It's amazing they are able to get any folks to attend those games.
Boz
Boz
October 12th, 2015 at 7:07:33 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

"Sixers must REALLY suck" ----ya think?

The last two years their win over/unders have been 16.5 and 15.5. LOL. I looked at the over both years, but just couldn't pull the trigger. :( In the NBA home court is a big advantage. With 41 home games, even a really bad team should win some games against the lower third of teams in the NBA. Then you add in the NBA's 'funny' scheduling that has teams coming in on the 4th or 5th game of a long road trip and a couple upset road wins and you are at 15 or 16. But as I said I just couldn't do it.

They did go over both years at 18 and 19 wins. But last year if you had bet the 'over' you were probably pretty worried when they started the season 0-17. LOL.

Sixers have been 'playing for a lottery pick' for several years (it seems like EVERY year). It's amazing they are able to get any folks to attend those games.

I know your a Philly guy at heart so I value your opinion. I agree with all you say and know it will be close to the number either way. Coach Brown is pushing defense first but you still need to score to win games and I'm not sure where the points are.

Either way a potential 4 number #1 picks next year and Saric coming over from Europe and the future has potential.

And yes, I have a season ticket plan as a value bet for the future if they become good as "Philly loves a winner".
Boz
Boz
October 12th, 2015 at 7:09:32 PM permalink
And I see the Lakers as a potential under. Overrated based on the name and history with Kobe alone.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
October 12th, 2015 at 8:55:05 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

I know your a Philly guy at heart so I value your opinion. I agree with all you say and know it will be close to the number either way. Coach Brown is pushing defense first but you still need to score to win games and I'm not sure where the points are.

Either way a potential 4 number #1 picks next year and Saric coming over from Europe and the future has potential.

And yes, I have a season ticket plan as a value bet for the future if they become good as "Philly loves a winner".

Thank god Philly has loyal fans like you, Boz. :) Philly fans get such a bad name, but they are really just very passionate sports fans.

Although I didn't grow up in Philly, I was there for 9 years from age 18-27 and being a big sports guy, adopted those teams and will be a Philly team fan for life, but professional basketball is my least favorite of the pro sports (although a huge college basketball fan....NOVA!).

Without being a huge fan and following as close as you do, just off the cuff, 21 seems high for this team. Like you said, their issue is going to be scoring. To get to 21 wins, they will have to win a lot of 82-80 type games.

I don't make a wager like this based on being a fan. You probably don't either. But when I consider a season win total wager like this, I look at the other teams in the division, just as much as the team I am considering, because you play them so often.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
October 13th, 2015 at 5:31:06 AM permalink
Need a big year from Nerlens Noel
I just checked and he's is on my fantasy team.
I see he is dealing with some injuries. Hopefully he will be good to go once the season starts
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
  • Jump to: