Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
September 10th, 2013 at 7:50:42 PM permalink
Any discussion or thoughts on the fight? Shortest odds of Floyd in years. That said, I am betting the dog for a decent amount, trying to get plus 240.
KB1
KB1
  • Threads: 3
September 10th, 2013 at 7:55:42 PM permalink
As I have stated before I am yet to get to vegas but i would bet the house payment on Canello if I could get there for this fight.

I believe it is time for the money team to go bankrupt.

KB1
JW17
JW17
  • Threads: 8
September 10th, 2013 at 8:05:24 PM permalink
I disagree. But all good things must come to an end, remember Roy Jones Jr?

BUT I think Mayweather wins this decision.
KB1
KB1
September 10th, 2013 at 8:16:43 PM permalink
I see what you are saying but I have never been on the money team band wagon.

KB1
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
September 10th, 2013 at 8:18:11 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
KB1
KB1
September 10th, 2013 at 8:30:33 PM permalink
Im gonna pay 50 bucks to see it or maybe ill go to buffalo wild wings to watch it.

What do you Nevadans think about Tennesseeans?
I had a guy that worked for me that came here for a mission trip for the mormon faith(from Nevada.)He said he was surprised that we had cars instead of horse and buggies and he was stunned when he saw a mcdonalds lol. What a ding bat.

KB1
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
September 10th, 2013 at 10:20:42 PM permalink
I have no opinion on the fight itself, but big fight weekends....well, they are big for me. :-)

It's a chance for me to hit some stores that I normally have some issues with. Pit personnel will be very busy the whole weekend. Places where my mid-level action might usually draw attention, will not even notice me. :-) I can actually bump my limits up some which translates to more EV (money).

Unfortunately, there are some negatives to negotiate as well. Crowded conditions makes jumping in and out of games, much more difficult. Also crowded tables, slows down play considerably, both of which reduce EV. Another real big negative is these type weekends and events, bring out all the sleezeballs....the pickpockets, theives, scammers etc, so it is important to be real careful and vigilant.

One of my favorite things is to play sessions 'around' the fight. Saturday afternoon and evening sessions and Sunday sessions. It is less crowded, but there still is some big money around betting which draws the attention of both pit and surveillance. Also, the first string pit and surveillance crews are scheduled for fight night, so shifts just before or just after, you are kind of going against the second stringers.:-)
NokTang
NokTang
  • Threads: 56
September 11th, 2013 at 4:30:23 AM permalink
Not found an easy to read odds site/page for this fight. Any recommendations?

FYI, not that you care much, but most pay per view fights(almost always Showtime fights) are on our regular cable line up here in Thailand, and in English. The "regular" cable is apx. $12.usd a month. There is an ongoing dispute about English Primere Football going on now and there is no NFL or other American sports. The U.S.Open tennis was on and we do have the golf channel. All this information brought to you free of charge as wifi is included in most apartments and hotels.

Okay. Thanks for any link with an easy to read listing of the odds. I like Mayweather by decision and I don't know how much less I'd have to lay.
NokTang
NokTang
September 11th, 2013 at 4:40:08 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

Also, the first string pit and surveillance crews are scheduled for fight night, so shifts just before or just after, you are kind of going against the second stringers.:-)

What do you mean mate? Are you some how cheating? Placing bets after the winner known etc.? On this subject, when Caesars Palace hosted fights years ago(Sugar Ray, Thomas Hearns, etc.) they would bring in pit guys from their other properties, specifically Lake Tahoe, as I ran into a pit guy I knew from there. I think and assume the MGM has learned how to handle the action and people. I'm trying to recall the Tyson fight a few years ago at the MGM when security drew weapons? Was that the fight Mike bit off Evander's ear?
Beardgoat
Beardgoat
  • Threads: 29
September 11th, 2013 at 5:46:10 AM permalink
I highly doubt kewlj is cheating somehow... i think what he means is he gets more heat when he spreads his bet. For example when the count is high then he bets more (better odds). The experienced pit crews and surveillance guys can spot the counters. I think he is saying it is easier for him to count with the more inexperienced crews. I dont want to speak for him but this is the way o understand it. Kewlj seems like a pretty good guy. I doubt he is taking shots like capping his bets
NokTang
NokTang
September 11th, 2013 at 6:16:18 AM permalink
Quote: Beardgoat

I highly doubt kewlj is cheating somehow... i think what he means is he gets more heat when he spreads his bet. For example when the count is high then he bets more (better odds). The experienced pit crews and surveillance guys can spot the counters. I think he is saying it is easier for him to count with the more inexperienced crews. I dont want to speak for him but this is the way o understand it. Kewlj seems like a pretty good guy. I doubt he is taking shots like capping his bets

I didn't even know card counting was still illegal and possible in Las Vegas(as well as many other places). Unfortunately for the Asian players, counting is impossible in Baccarat.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
September 11th, 2013 at 6:28:32 AM permalink
It's not illegal, it's frowned upon.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
September 11th, 2013 at 6:35:51 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
September 11th, 2013 at 7:12:57 AM permalink
Mayweather's cheap shot a few fights back is the lowlight of his professional career. As usual, I'll be rooting for him to lose and expecting him to win.
kewlj
kewlj
September 11th, 2013 at 7:38:03 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

It's not illegal, it's frowned upon.

...like masterbating on an airplane. Lol

No I don't take shots. I was speaking of just straight up counting.
NokTang
NokTang
September 15th, 2013 at 1:17:31 AM permalink
One judge calls it a draw. How can this happen at the "biggest sporting event in history"?
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
September 15th, 2013 at 7:21:04 AM permalink
Quote: NokTang

Okay. Thanks for any link with an easy to read listing of the odds. I like Mayweather by decision and I don't know how much less I'd have to lay.

Dude, nice call!

I wish I had seen this post, Bovada's odds were pretty easy to read, but I don't recall how much the lay was for Mayweather by decision. You may want to use Bovada in the future, although, Pinnacle had the better Line for the bettor if the bettor wanted to take Alvarez, at least, as of Friday.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
September 15th, 2013 at 7:26:04 AM permalink

One judge calls it a draw. How can this happen at the "biggest sporting event in history"?

He must have been drunk. I have no idea what fight he was watching, otherwise, and I was pulling hard for Canelo to win. I spoke to a cousin of mine on the phone this morning, and he supposedly knows a thing or two about boxing, I told him that I felt like Alvarez may have won three rounds...he asked me if I was drunk when I watched it! He said, at best, Alvarez won one round.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
September 15th, 2013 at 8:48:48 AM permalink

A lot of sports bettors quit betting the big fights when they went from 15 rounds down to 12 because too many fights go the distance and there's to much chance of getting ripped off by the judges. I watched the first Holyfield-Lewis fight in the Loser's Lounge at the Riverside in Laughlin. The place was packed. Lewis dominated the fight and won practically every round. We were all shocked when the decision went to Holyfield....and the most shocked people of all were the Holyfield bettors.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
kewlj
kewlj
September 15th, 2013 at 9:02:24 AM permalink

Boxing judge, Cynthia Ross has a long history of controversial scoring. 6 times in her career she has scored a fight almost opposite as the other two judge who scored the same event. I guess there is something to be said for using multiple judges, so that one 'rouge' judge doesn't change the outcome.

But the big question is why does she continue to hold thee job and be assigned to judge fights, when it is quite apparent she doesn't know what she is looking at.

Disclaimer: I am not a boxing fan, nor did I see this fight.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
September 15th, 2013 at 9:21:28 AM permalink
The judge in question, Cynthia J. Ross, has judged many, many fights in Nevada, starting in 1992.

She lifted a lot of eyebrows when she called the Pacquiao / Bradley fight in favor of Timothy Bradley.

As for motivation: who can say?

I have my suspicions however, but I will not voice them on this forum.

Mayweather said it best.

When learning of her calling it a draw, he said "What the [expletive] is that?"

What the [expletive], indeed?
"What, me worry?"
Perdition
Perdition
  • Threads: 36
September 15th, 2013 at 10:30:54 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Dude, nice call!

I wish I had seen this post, Bovada's odds were pretty easy to read, but I don't recall how much the lay was for Mayweather by decision. You may want to use Bovada in the future, although, Pinnacle had the better Line for the bettor if the bettor wanted to take Alvarez, at least, as of Friday.

I used the free 12.50 bet for Mayweather to get 6.53. Not the best payout in the world, but pretty much sure money. Now if I had only used it on Garcia to win by decision.....
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
September 15th, 2013 at 10:37:54 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

The judge in question, Cynthia J. Ross, has judged many, many fights in Nevada, starting in 1992.

She lifted a lot of eyebrows when she called the Pacquiao / Bradley fight in favor of Timothy Bradley.

As for motivation: who can say?

The crowd was heavily pro-Alvarez; that could have had something to do with her judging. There used to be a saying in boxing that "the champion gets the benefit of the doubt"; more and more, it's becoming "the crowd favorite gets the benefit of the doubt". The fact that all three judges gave three or more rounds to Alvarez, despite pretty much everybody watching the fight giving at least 11 to Mayweather, does nothing to disprove this.
NokTang
NokTang
September 15th, 2013 at 4:35:10 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

I saw the Pacquaio vs Bradley fight. Again, on TV and for free here in Thailand. I personally thought Bradley won and it was at the least a close fight. Nothing like yesterday where Mayweather may have won every round but certainly ten or eleven rounds. As another member mentioned, when Alverez started swinging(which wasn't often) the crowd cheered but nothing landed. Still, there is no excuse IMHO for calling it a draw. She continues to get major fights which is the bigger question, why?
NokTang
NokTang
September 15th, 2013 at 4:38:39 PM permalink
Quote: Perdition

Garcia .

That was the first time I'd seen him. I wasn't really impressed. Mayweather would/will? once again avoid getting hit and should beat him.

There is another guy, Eastern Europe, I saw on TV a month or so ago who is IMHO very good and could give Floyd a good fight. I think the guy is a couple weight classes higher. Name escapes me, but he's damn good and tough.
Perdition
Perdition
  • Threads: 36
September 15th, 2013 at 7:20:59 PM permalink
Yeah Garcia did fine given the circumstances. Matthysse is a bruiser and has beat many people with 1 punch. Many people though Garcia would get destroyed within 3 rounds.

The other guy you are thinking of is Gennady Golovkin or GGG. He is a destroyer and I would be incredibly surprised if Mayweather ever steps in the ring with him. Sergio Martinez might be an outside possibility but yeah GGG is at 160 and would probably be 20-30 pounds more than Floyd on fight night. Andre Ward is another one, too big and too good to be a viable opponent.

You will probably see a "safe" fight for May 4 like Garcia or Devon Alexander. Unlike other I don't think Pac-Mayweather is dead until one or the other retires because they know it will generate some kind of money. Mayweather has 4 fights left on his contract so Pacquiao could very well be one of those.

Either way for the time being, Mayweather + distance should be a safe bet.
  • Jump to: