Thread Rating:

DonPedro
DonPedro
  • Threads: 92
October 3rd, 2013 at 12:29:11 PM permalink
Large pairs : face cards seem to rarely improve, and do not seem to have potential to make the nuts, can only make a set or a full house.

Flush/str8 draws have the nut potential : could it be a good strategy to fold my 1 big pair early to any raise or bet ? And try to see flops cheap w/ large suited cards w/ str8 and flush potential ?

I play 4/8 no fold em and my image is a NIT. I seem to win small pots and lose big ones , only to be drawn out when they make 2 pair better.

I.E. - pocket kings, I raise. 5-6 players call the raise, beaten by 2/5 off when they flop 2 pair.

Also I have noticed : I have trouble winning w/ 1/2 pair . I guess I am overvaluing top pair.

Last night : top pair 6/7 times -lost every time, they did not improve and someone else did.

I almost do not not want to a see big pair when I look at my cards-so I can fold !
" If I had the money and the drinking capacity, I'd probably live at a blackjak table and let my life go to hell." Don Pedro
DonPedro
DonPedro
  • Threads: 92
October 3rd, 2013 at 12:32:30 PM permalink
I was thinking : of playing large suited cards ( faces/aces) and , see the flop cheap. If I catch a str8/flush draw, play on , if not fold.
" If I had the money and the drinking capacity, I'd probably live at a blackjak table and let my life go to hell." Don Pedro
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
October 3rd, 2013 at 12:37:12 PM permalink
In limit poker top pair wins a lot of small pots, but loses big pots if you overplay it. The world of no limit is different, but your results are not unusual for nofoldem.

You should make people pay for drawing out on you, but realize that they usually are getting odds to do so. Also, if you gain a reputation of folding whenever scare cards hit, you will get bluffed at occasionally.

I think you are just forgetting about the times when your big pair wins by chasing everyone out on the flop, which is maybe not ideal, but a good way to win pots.

You may want to consider folding a big pair to a raise, but I will raise with top or even mid pair to see where I am at on the flop. I wouldn't fold big pair to a bet on the flop, again it's a good time to raise while the raises are small.

You should be playing a lot of suited and str8 cards for cheap, although don't be afraid to raise a suited ace. Build a big pot to draw to.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
October 3rd, 2013 at 12:37:31 PM permalink
Quote: DonPedro

I was thinking : of playing large suited cards ( faces/aces) and , see the flop cheap. If I catch a str8/flush draw, play on , if not fold.

You're going to get bored.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
  • Jump to: