vanryans
vanryans
  • Threads: 2
November 22nd, 2012 at 5:49:22 AM permalink
I am currently studying Paigow Poker right now, and I believe that this site is the best one that can give solutions. Can you please explain further how you come up with the combinations of the best possible 2 cards / 5 cards in your Paigow Power Ratings.

Thank you
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
November 22nd, 2012 at 11:10:16 PM permalink
I'm not qualified math-wise, but basically splitting the hand causes one to have two hands.
When viewed independently, a particular 5-card hand will beat X% of 5-card hands, and a particular 2-card hand will beat Y% of 2-card hands.
The trick is to optimize the split such that one has a Z% chance of beating BOTH of the Dealer's hands, where one maximizes Z by manipulating X and Y.

When settling upon the split, one has either a + or - expectation to beat the Dealer.
Since the Dealer hand is unknown, it turns out that even a bad hand like AKQT963 has a chance of a push by splitting the KQ. Of course FOR THE WIN this hand is bad. Luck favors "variance" in this situation... The Dealer might have AAQJ975, and split the QJ to arrive at the push... or Dealer 888AT95 makes the hand a loser, splitting the AT. Rarely will the Dealer simply lose with a K-high pai gow.

The percentage Win vs. Loss is whats at stake, but the Push is your friend.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
  • Jump to: