27 members have voted

DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
scolist
October 20th, 2018 at 8:26:33 AM permalink
Quote: scolist

So if you were to take the lump payment after taxes, where do you put that kind of money for safe keeping?

Last I knew the FDIC was set at 250k.

Under my bed and I buy a big fire extinguisher just in case.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
unJon
unJon 
  • Threads: 14
October 20th, 2018 at 8:33:25 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

To address some recent questions, on a standard $2 ticket without the Megaplier, the return from fixed wins is 12.35% of the amount bet.

I show that for every dollar spent on tickets, 60.2 cents gets added to the jackpot. However, don't forget the annuity. They only pay out about 56.5% of the jackpot whether or not the player chooses the lump sum. So, about 34.37% of money bet gets paid out to jackpot winners, before deducting for taxes. Thus, the overall return is about 12.35% + 34.37% = 46.72%.

Thanks Wiz and Babs!

Wiz, is the 60.2 cents factor in dollars spent on Megapliet? I could imagine that 0% of that extra dollar goes into the jackpot if the idea is a compensation for the higher non jackpot prizes.
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but that is the way to bet.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
October 20th, 2018 at 8:44:18 AM permalink
In California, all prizes are pari-mutuel, meaning payouts are based on sales and the number of winners. All other Mega Millions states set the 2nd through 9th prizes at pre-determined amounts.

https://www.calottery.com/play/draw-games/mega-millions

I’d be interested to look into how the non-jackpot prizes are calculated in CA, and how much this increases the value of the ticket during large jackpots.
Last edited by: gamerfreak on Oct 20, 2018
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
scolist
October 20th, 2018 at 8:56:52 AM permalink

So if you were to take the lump payment after taxes, where do you put that kind of money for safe keeping?

Bitcoin.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
Thanked by
scolist
October 20th, 2018 at 8:57:15 AM permalink

My failsafe would be to open up 20 bank accounts in 20 different banks, and deposit $250,000 in each one. That would give me $5,000,000 in federally insured funds. That is more than enough to live on extremely comfortably for the rest of my life if I somehow lost everything else.

As far as the "safe keeping" thing, I don't know if there's really a way to do that with such large amounts of money. Just invest it and take your chances with the markets or whatever you choose to invest in.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
October 20th, 2018 at 9:07:29 AM permalink
Quote: unJon

Can’t find with a quick google the fraction of ticket sales that adds to jackpot.

I think it's different for each state, at least with MegaMillions.

In California, "about" $1 from each $2 Mega Millions ticket goes into the prize pool, of which 75.3107% goes into the jackpot pool.

For Powerball, again about $1 from each $2 Powerball ticket goes into the prize pool, but only 60.0131% of that goes into the jackpot pool. (Actually, it's 60.0131% if the lum-sum jackpot amount is $250 million or more, 64.0131% if it is between 120 and 250 million, and 68.0131% if it is less than 120 million.
scolist
scolist
  • Threads: 0
October 20th, 2018 at 9:35:12 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

My failsafe would be to open up 20 bank accounts in 20 different banks, and deposit $250,000 in each one. That would give me $5,000,000 in federally insured funds. That is more than enough to live on extremely comfortably for the rest of my life if I somehow lost everything else.

As far as the "safe keeping" thing, I don't know if there's really a way to do that with such large amounts of money. Just invest it and take your chances with the markets or whatever you choose to invest in.

This makes sense. 5 million would be more than enough to live happily on, for me anyway. Then I could fritter away the rest.
There's no way out of here When you come in You're in for good There was no promise made The part you played The chance...........you took
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
October 20th, 2018 at 9:52:36 AM permalink

This makes sense. 5 million would be more than enough to live happily on, for me anyway. Then I could fritter away the rest.

if I have enough to have people take care of my rowboat all year in the harbor even if I never use it, that should be enough.

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
October 20th, 2018 at 9:55:50 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

if I have enough to have people take care of my rowboat all year in the harbor even if I never use it, that should be enough.

That would have been a nice looking boat if somebody had built the back half
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 20th, 2018 at 9:58:28 AM permalink
I once saw an interview with a multi-millionaire (maybe billionaire?) and he straight-up said yachts are a terrible investment, even for ultra-wealthy people. You have to LOVE yachts to want to buy one, because they are nothing but a money sink.
rxwine
rxwine
October 20th, 2018 at 10:05:28 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

That would have been a nice looking boat if somebody had built the back half

AS long as there enough room on the front for all my young actress and model friends to sunbathe.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
October 20th, 2018 at 10:17:06 AM permalink

If you're going to dream, dream big.

This was Paul Allen's yacht Octopus. They had a permanent crew of 57 to run it. It sailed all over the world, and he would fly in to use it.

He had a house just outside Kona, HI, a gorgeous place on the water, and would fly in at least once a year to stay there. The Octopus would be just offshore of the runway, and they would bring over one of the two helicopters on it to pick him up, either back to the boat, or directly to his estate. Then he would cruise the islands.

He held an annual retreat there for billionaires around New Years, when a lot of them come to Kona anyway. They didn't advertise it much - I can only imagine what would have happened if some baddies had decided to attack that conclave, so they kept it pretty quiet. That would make a hell of a movie.

But, yeah, I would definitely buy both a yacht (smaller!) and an oceanside house with a pier for it. But I think the majority of the jackpot, if it were mine, would get spent supporting a couple of charities I like. That would give me a lot of satisfaction. Might even have to take the annuity, or probably structure a trust, to keep a money flow to them over several decades.

I only need so much, so not really willing to sit on all that money. Like I'll ever have to make that decision. Lol...
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 20th, 2018 at 10:30:13 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

This was Paul Allen's yacht Octopus. They had a permanent crew of 57 to run it. It sailed all over the world, and he would fly in to use it.

Bah... that's bush league.

Azzam is over 50 meters longer, has a missile defense system, and cost $600 million.
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 642
October 20th, 2018 at 10:33:31 AM permalink

To everyone who lost -- I told you so.

yes, it's not a good bet financially.
But I stipulate that it's not a bad bet socially.
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
100xOdds
100xOdds
October 20th, 2018 at 10:35:39 AM permalink

$250k in 4 bank accts, each.

Rest split between vanguard, Fidelity, and trowePrice
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
October 20th, 2018 at 2:20:14 PM permalink
https://www.fdic.gov/regulations/resources/brochures/your_insured_deposits-english.html

"The standard deposit insurance amount is $250,000 per depositor, per insured bank, for each account ownership category."

I knew about 250,000 per depositor, meaning if you have an account, and your wife has an account, each only in their own names, both accounts are insured up to 250,000

I believe the 'for each account ownership category' would also let you have a joint account insured up to 250,000 in addition to the individual accounts.

here are all of the ownership categories:
Single Accounts, Certain Retirement Accounts,, Joint Accounts, Revocable Trust Accounts
Irrevocable Trust Accounts, Employee Benefit Plan Accounts,
Corporation/Partnership/Unincorporated Association Accounts, Government Accounts
troopscott
troopscott
  • Threads: 20
October 20th, 2018 at 4:13:28 PM permalink
Quote: Dalex64

https://www.fdic.gov/regulations/resources/brochures/your_insured_deposits-english.html

"The standard deposit insurance amount is $250,000 per depositor, per insured bank, for each account ownership category."

I knew about 250,000 per depositor, meaning if you have an account, and your wife has an account, each only in their own names, both accounts are insured up to 250,000

I believe the 'for each account ownership category' would also let you have a joint account insured up to 250,000 in addition to the individual accounts.

here are all of the ownership categories:
Single Accounts, Certain Retirement Accounts,, Joint Accounts, Revocable Trust Accounts
Irrevocable Trust Accounts, Employee Benefit Plan Accounts,
Corporation/Partnership/Unincorporated Association Accounts, Government Accounts

surprised someone has not started a pool
Ace2
Ace2
  • Threads: 32
October 20th, 2018 at 4:35:31 PM permalink

To address some recent questions, on a standard $2 ticket without the Megaplier, the return from fixed wins is 12.35% of the amount bet.

I show that for every dollar spent on tickets, 60.2 cents gets added to the jackpot. However, don't forget the annuity. They only pay out about 56.5% of the jackpot whether or not the player chooses the lump sum. So, about 34.37% of money bet gets paid out to jackpot winners, before deducting for taxes. Thus, the overall return is about 12.35% + 34.37% = 46.72%.

Of course an individual’s actual return won’t start resembling those expected returns until he’s bought a few billion tickets.

Almost no one will ever hit the the jackpot or top 2 fixed prizes even in a lifetime of playing. Meaning the return for most people will be about 7.85%
It’s all about making that GTA
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
October 20th, 2018 at 4:59:36 PM permalink

Bitcoin
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
troopscott
troopscott
  • Threads: 20
October 20th, 2018 at 5:01:06 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Bitcoin

if you want to lose it all
billryan
billryan
October 20th, 2018 at 5:01:54 PM permalink
We hit one number and the mega. I think that's $8, so a 8% loss rebate.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
October 20th, 2018 at 5:48:59 PM permalink
Dammmnn. Going near 2 billion. I am definitely buying some at this point
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
rxwine
rxwine
October 20th, 2018 at 6:10:00 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Dammmnn. Going near 2 billion. I am definitely buying some at this point

kind of boggles the mind a slip of paper could be worth a billion.
GWAE
GWAE
October 20th, 2018 at 6:29:01 PM permalink

Yeah such craziness. I am not playing for the money now. Although I will take it. I just want to be known as winning the largest jackpot ever
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 20th, 2018 at 6:30:06 PM permalink

I don't want to be handed that much power instantaneously.

I'm perfectly happy saving several hundred a month until retirement.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1494
Thanked by
tringlomane
October 20th, 2018 at 7:12:09 PM permalink
It looks like 280 million tickets were sold for the last drawing. The probability of a winner with that many tickets in play is 60.4%. However, there wasn't so we get to enjoy watching the masses throw their money away chasing a record-breaking $1.6 billion dollar jackpot.

At this point, the existing data is not enough to predict ticket demand. As we've seen in the Powerball, at some point ticket sales, like around half a billion, quit following an exponential or parabolic curve. Instead, for super large jackpots, there is more of a logarithmic relationship. So, I'm going to have to look at the my Powerball spreadsheet for this $1.6 billion jackpot.

Doing so, I get:

Expected tickets sold: 648 million
Expected winners: 2.14
Probability of at least one winner = 88.3%.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Ace2
Ace2
October 20th, 2018 at 8:48:43 PM permalink
Quote: IndyJeffrey

In other words, if the interest rate is above 3.404%, take the lump sum? Of course, today's interest rate (Fed): 2.25%.

My guess is that the lottery discount rate is based on a long term US treasury rate, which is currently 3 and change.

It would be wise to take the annuity when the discount rate is above average historical US treasury rates ...I estimate that average to be around 6 or 7 percent. With the current discount rate of 3.4% it’s a no brainer to take the cash option. Rates will eventually return to historical norms...we are at the tail end of an unprecedented long period of extremely low rates.

Hopefully they weren’t left artificially low too long, which can create the same bubble and crash that the low interest rate policy is supposed to correct.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
October 21st, 2018 at 2:11:04 AM permalink

It looks like 280 million tickets were sold for the last drawing. The probability of a winner with that many tickets in play is 60.4%. However, there wasn't so we get to enjoy watching the masses throw their money away chasing a record-breaking $1.6 billion dollar jackpot.

At this point, the existing data is not enough to predict ticket demand. As we've seen in the Powerball, at some point ticket sales, like around half a billion, quit following an exponential or parabolic curve. Instead, for super large jackpots, there is more of a logarithmic relationship. So, I'm going to have to look at the my Powerball spreadsheet for this $1.6 billion jackpot.

Doing so, I get:

Expected tickets sold: 648 million
Expected winners: 2.14
Probability of at least one winner = 88.3%.

How do the numbers look going forward, further than just last week and this upcoming week?

I assume you track the mega millions weekly....does it follow the same trend each time (as in, week 1 it's at X, if it doesn't get hit it goes to Y, then next to Z, then...), or does it vary all over the place?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 21st, 2018 at 4:38:07 AM permalink
Quote: Ace2

Hopefully they weren’t left artificially low too long, which can create the same bubble and crash that the low interest rate policy is supposed to correct.

They were left way too low for too long. We tried to get back to normal 2006-2008. Supervisors at the bank where I worked who should have know better thought a Prime Rate of 6% was high. Then the economy lived on the meth of low rates 2009-2016.

Much will change when we do get back to a more normal rate.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
October 21st, 2018 at 6:40:44 PM permalink
Quote: RS

How do the numbers look going forward, further than just last week and this upcoming week?

There is an exponential relationship between jackpot size and tickets sold, up to a point. This point is around half a billion, when the relationship becomes more logarithmic.
100xOdds
100xOdds
October 21st, 2018 at 10:07:04 PM permalink

There is an exponential relationship between jackpot size and tickets sold, up to a point. This point is around half a billion, when the relationship becomes more logarithmic.

no one won Powerball. it's now $620M.

exponential, logarithmic, what's next?
if nothing, then i will coin the term 'Powerball Super Spike' (tm) for this weds drawing.

If someone hits megamillions on Tues, i expect a near 90 degree climb in ticket sales for weds powerball drawing.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
October 22nd, 2018 at 5:08:10 AM permalink
Greetings!

I think it's almost an imperative to write about the Mega Millions Jackpot being the highest in lottery history, so I did. Besides that, I'm hoping this will be good Google bait for the future.

https://wizardofvegas.com/articles/mega-billions-lottery/

Is it an awful bet? Yes.

Is it the worst EV? It's very high on the list.

Do I think the players are idiots for playing it? I have a somewhat more charitable view of them than Wizard does.

Am I buying a ticket? Absolutely not.

I'm also not always THAT charitable, from the Article regarding the Pennsylvania Pick 2:

Quote:

Yes, it is quite possibly the stupidest game in the world with a huge house edge that should be immediately obvious to anyone with a fourth grade education.

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
100xOdds
100xOdds
Thanked by
Mission146
October 22nd, 2018 at 7:12:08 AM permalink
Quote: Mission146

Greetings!

I think it's almost an imperative to write about the Mega Millions Jackpot being the highest in lottery history, so I did. Besides that, I'm hoping this will be good Google bait for the future.

https://wizardofvegas.com/articles/mega-billions-lottery/

Is it an awful bet? Yes.

Is it the worst EV? It's very high on the list.

Do I think the players are idiots for playing it? I have a somewhat more charitable view of them than Wizard does.

Am I buying a ticket? Absolutely not.

I'm also not always THAT charitable, from the Article regarding the Pennsylvania Pick 2:

but at $1.6B *AND* I'm the only winner, it's +EV after lump sum and taxes, right?
winning the jackpot = non-zero chance
I'm the only winner = non-zero chance
:)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
Thanked by
Mission146
October 22nd, 2018 at 7:33:52 AM permalink
I'm thinking of writing an article to counter Mission's article. One part of it would be a way to parlay $3 into say a $1 billion with a higher probability than Mega Millions. I can show we can get it to about $1.5 million at 17% edge by a combination of roulette and baccarat bets. However, at this point you reach maximum bet rules.

My question is, where can I find some pricing on simple short-term derivatives? I assume that some of the huge banks will sell derivatives, if I'm using the term correctly, that involve hundreds of millions of dollars. Thank you.
TigerWu
TigerWu
October 22nd, 2018 at 8:04:53 AM permalink

I'm thinking of writing an article to counter Mission's article. One part of it would be a way to parlay $3 into say a $1 billion with a higher probability than Mega Millions. I can show we can get it to about $1.5 million at 17% edge by a combination of roulette and baccarat bets. However, at this point you reach maximum bet rules.

That's fine by me! I'd be more than happy with "just" $1.5 million. That's a set up for a very comfortable retirement.
rxwine
rxwine
Thanked by
beachbumbabsgamerfreakAyecarumba
October 22nd, 2018 at 8:15:44 AM permalink
How is lottery ticket badly spent? Just for example, I spent $6 for a taco special at a local sports bar, Now that was a mistake.
100xOdds
100xOdds
October 22nd, 2018 at 9:22:35 AM permalink

I'm thinking of writing an article to counter Mission's article.
One part of it would be a way to parlay $3 into say a $1 billion with a higher probability than Mega Millions.

I can show we can get it to about $1.5 million at 17% edge by a combination of roulette and baccarat bets. However, at this point you reach maximum bet rules.

cant wait to see your $1.5M system.

hm.. cant find the link to your $5 to $200k roulette parlay system?
I think it was something like bet same # 3times in a row with all winnings?

also, how about video poker with the Double Up feature?
Ace2
Ace2
Thanked by
JohnnyQ
October 22nd, 2018 at 9:43:14 AM permalink
Actually now is the time to put your life savings into Mega Millions tickets.

This is due to the lack of recent wins and the laws of clustering, a widely misunderstood branch of mathematics.

My clusterfu**ed model shows a positive EV of 320%.
GWAE
GWAE
October 22nd, 2018 at 9:46:57 AM permalink
I am definitely taking the lump sum. I just don't trust the lottery to keep my money for 2 decades without going bankrupt or having some corruption.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
October 22nd, 2018 at 10:08:32 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I am definitely taking the lump sum. I just don't trust the lottery to keep my money for 2 decades without going bankrupt or having some corruption.

3 decades. Thirty year payout if you take their annuity. They start at something like 1% and add a little each year until they've paid the total 30 years later.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
October 22nd, 2018 at 10:12:54 AM permalink
I do not want to be, and have my children be, the targets for kidnapping. Winning a billion puts you in those crosshairs. I have put a buck or two into the large group pool at work,where if i win I get 1/100th or so of the jackpot. $10 million anonymously (basically) is all I want.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
October 22nd, 2018 at 10:31:47 AM permalink
Here's a good current overview on the tax implications of winning a large jackpot, and some ideas of what can be done about it:

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/10/22/mega-millions-powerball-jackpots-come-with-big-tax-bite.html
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
Thanked by
tringlomane
October 22nd, 2018 at 10:39:49 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I do not want to be, and have my children be, the targets for kidnapping. Winning a billion puts you in those crosshairs. I have put a buck or two into the large group pool at work,where if i win I get 1/100th or so of the jackpot. $10 million anonymously (basically) is all I want.

I get where you are coming from, but I can’t find any articles about lottery winners/family getting kidnapped for ransom.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
Thanked by
JohnnyQ
October 22nd, 2018 at 11:01:16 AM permalink
I just wanted to take this prime opportunity to complain about the lottery and their advertised jackpot. The value of Mega is nowhere near 1.6 billion, yet they are able to advertise it as such. Is there anything else someone can advertise the future value of a product or service?

I understand that this lying about jackpots has been built into our national consciousness over decades of various state governments abusing their monopoly, but that doesn't make it right. It's false advertising, a flat out lie, and it needs to stop.

Diatribe over. I'm going to go buy my tickets now.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 22nd, 2018 at 11:43:56 AM permalink

My question is, where can I find some pricing on simple short-term derivatives? I assume that some of the huge banks will sell derivatives, if I'm using the term correctly, that involve hundreds of millions of dollars. Thank you.

What kind of derivatives? That is a broad question. This could mean stock options (anyone can buy with a few steps) to credit default swaps (hard to buy even for garage hedge funds) to other items.

For the most part a person needs to be an accredited investor to get into this kind of thing.

PM me if you want to know a little about stock options. The rest are above my investor grade.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
October 22nd, 2018 at 12:38:17 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I get where you are coming from, but I can’t find any articles about lottery winners/family getting kidnapped for ransom.

Just regular murder. I'll take my chances if I win.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Shakespeare
BaccaratKid
BaccaratKid
  • Threads: 0
October 22nd, 2018 at 12:51:13 PM permalink
Where I live there is a bridge where cars pay to park. One only has to pay between the hours of 8 am and 6 pm, yet I always see people putting money or credit cards in after 6 pm (also, on weekends or holidays when there is no charge for parking). Do you think the meter rejects their payments?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
October 22nd, 2018 at 1:08:08 PM permalink
Quote: BaccaratKid

Where I live there is a bridge where cars pay to park. One only has to pay between the hours of 8 am and 6 pm, yet I always see people putting money or credit cards in after 6 pm (also, on weekends or holidays when there is no charge for parking). Do you think the meter rejects their payments?

Depends. I have had the meter change the message to "Free Parking" after 6. Others just take the payment. If it is smart enough for a CC the town should make it smart enough to announce when the fee is free.
billryan
billryan
October 22nd, 2018 at 1:16:54 PM permalink
I'm not sure I care to see taxpayer money spent on preventing folks from voluntarily subsidizing said government.
GWAE
GWAE
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
October 22nd, 2018 at 2:03:55 PM permalink
Quote: tringlomane

Just regular murder. I'll take my chances if I win.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Shakespeare

first problem there is being in Florida.
  • Jump to: