jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 3
March 26th, 2017 at 3:03:36 PM permalink
I thought I'd post about my first time playing craps, which was this morning. I've spent the last week reading on the Wizard's site and some in this forum, so thanks for all the tips. My usual spot is the Horseshoe Hammond, and I got there at 9 AM thinking there should be some open spots. However, only one table was going and it was full. I played some video poker (I know the pay tables aren't great there) and made $60, and then saw they were opening up a new table.

I bought in for $300, which I figured should last awhile, especially since I planned on playing conservatively. It's a ten dollar table, and I played with full double odds. It's 100x odds at the Horseshoe, but with a ten dollar minimum that's all I was willing to risk. I only passed the pass line with one or two come bets.

The dice started two to my left, and it was pretty cold. After halfway around the full table I think I was down to $150. There was one good shooter that hit a couple points, but by the time the dice came to me I was even further down, I think to less than a hundred.

So I get the dice and I'm pretty nervous, so the first throw goes off the table. But I settled down (some, still went off table two more times) and ended up doing well. I shot for close to half an hour, although only made one point. Some of my come bets hit, but I didn't have more than three numbers covered at any one time. So I made about $200 on the roll, but the people around me did really well. My first roll was a hard eight and my neighbors started betting that a lot, and I ended up throwing three more hard eights with no easy eights in the mix. They were loving me at that point, and on the last one the lady next to me told me she had be ten for me, so I got $90 out of that. Finally sevened out and got a nice little round of applause. Another neighbor who was betting $30 on the hard eight put down $15 on the passline for me after my roll.

I played a little while longer and ended up leaving exactly even (after a tip), after about two and a half hours. It was a lot of fun.

I do have a couple of questions. Only myself and one other guy were playing any come bets. Everyone else was all over the middle of the table, to the point where I couldn't see how the dealers kept track of everything. Is this typical? Is the minimum for those bets a dollar, or are you expected to spread a certain amount over those bets? And why no come bets for most people?
DanMahoney
DanMahoney
  • Threads: 7
March 26th, 2017 at 3:20:30 PM permalink
Most of us innumerate craps players know that come bets suck because you have to hit a number twice to get paid compared to only once with the more superior place bets. Also playing the middle of the table is the best craps bet when you are betting what the table is giving you.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 206
March 26th, 2017 at 4:06:35 PM permalink
I'm uncertain as to whether this is a humor thread or not.

Yeah, place bets pay off when hit the first time.... at fairly low rates.

Come bets and Pass Line bets (same thing really) gotta hit twice but pay off better.

Youse pays your money and youse takes your chance.

Center Action... they don't pay that Stick Man to advise people to play conservatively.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 49
March 26th, 2017 at 4:39:42 PM permalink
Most people don't like come bets because they can be a bit more boring and slow. Pass and come bets are the best bets to make (lower HE than the other bets).

It's common for chips to be all over the table, especially on a table full of people during a long roll. Dealers keep track of the bets by placing them in certain positions relative to where the player is standing. For the hard six, for example, imagine the betting box is just the entire table. Whoever is standing one right of the stick, gets their chips put in that same relative position in the box. The same applies for place bets, come bets, and other center action bets.

The higher HE bets are in the center. Unless you like throwing your money away faster, you should avoid bets in the center. Perhaps put out a $1 yo on the come out roll only when you're shooting or a $1-2 hard way if you're shooting for a specific even number, if you wanna add a little spice to the game.
"should of played 'Go Fish' today ya peasant" -typoontrav
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 23
March 26th, 2017 at 5:54:37 PM permalink
Your bankroll can swing either way very quickly with craps. Even playing very conservatively at $10 table you'll have a few sessions where you burn through $300 very quickly.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 271
March 26th, 2017 at 6:09:55 PM permalink
Even the Craps players who have played a long time have no idea what the hell they are doing if they never do the math, which is 99.9999999% of them. They listen too to the dealers and other players when they start, and those guys praise the sucker bets.

So they rely on faulty memory - this usually seems to revolve around having a lot of numbers covered inside, outside, and down the middle when some shooter comes along and can't roll a 7-out - all the bets pay off handsomely then and if you press them it can mean thousands.

If they ever try pass + come without pressing it seems boring and never pays off as well as the others. Of course they remember the times when they lost all their money quickly doing it either way. So if this is how you learn, how would it be any other way?
"No, I will weep no more. In such a night To shut me out! ... O, that way madness lies; let me shun that; No more of that" - King Lear deciding he has to accept bad Variance
jmills
jmills
  • Threads: 3
March 26th, 2017 at 8:18:12 PM permalink
Is the minimum for the place bets the table minimum?
RS
RS
  • Threads: 49
March 26th, 2017 at 8:47:21 PM permalink
Quote: jmills

Yes.
"should of played 'Go Fish' today ya peasant" -typoontrav
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 262
March 26th, 2017 at 9:55:03 PM permalink
Quote: jmills

Not to quibble, but "kind of."

It is the LOWEST amount you can make on a bet, no question, but when most people ask "what is the table minimum?" they are asking about the line bet (higer amount), not a proposition bet.
Last edited by: MrV on Mar 27, 2017
"What, me worry?"
klimate10
klimate10
  • Threads: 25
March 26th, 2017 at 10:33:15 PM permalink
The center bets, i.e. the sucker bets, are so bad that the house will let you bet les than the table minimum. Even at a $100 min table, you can bet $1 on the hard ways. It's that bad of a bet.

Yet, the suckers always try to tell you how good it is, especially when it hits.

Did someone really just say that place bets are better than come bets because you have to hit the come bet twice? Lol.

• Jump to: