longtimelancer
longtimelancer
  • Threads: 23
May 7th, 2014 at 4:18:18 PM permalink
Does it help to do continuous don't come with full odds? Is the linking of your bets somehow helpful to either the edge or the standard deviation?

My guess is that it doesn't make any difference except in how fast you get to where you are going (your total action).
Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 90
May 8th, 2014 at 7:53:12 AM permalink
Quote: longtimelancer

Does it help to do continuous don't come with full odds? Is the linking of your bets somehow helpful to either the edge or the standard deviation?

My guess is that it doesn't make any difference except in how fast you get to where you are going (your total action).

The main things it helps with is boredom. Especially on the do-side, the best reason not to continuous come is that 30% of all rolls are comeout rolls and saying "everything works every roll dealer" is just something that can get annoying to go through every 20 minutes with each new dealer.

Placing a bet that only works 70% of the time by default is still something that folks enjoy doing frequently.

The best chance to win if you want to play a while with full odds is being patient with no come bets unless you want to do a lot of talking.

If you just like moving chips around, don't bet odds. Get used to losing and bet every damn thing you can think of and pull stuff down back up at a different amount, off, on, etc. This can be even more fun than continuous come bets if you can afford to stroke the dealer. "Press my lay on the five for $3" is a request that I have made that has caused a dealer to literally LOSE HIS MIND. Way better than a come bet if you just want to move chips around for fun. (His name was Robert and he works at both the Silverton and the Palazzo, and HATES "strokers" and EXPECTS everyone to bet the way he wants you to.)

Playing the game where you try to confuse the dealer to overpay a lay bet and then make fun of him can be worth the vig. Robert is a good dealer, and he's never made a mistake that I've noticed. He's my least favorite dealer. I think our last exchange was unpleasant.
aahigh.com
TerribleTom
TerribleTom
  • Threads: 8
May 8th, 2014 at 10:57:36 AM permalink
Quote: Ahigh

The main things it helps with is boredom.

I think this is true for a lot of people. I'm a fairly disciplined dark side bettor - I make my line bet, lay odds if I don't lose on the come out, then just bide my time until the point is resolved. I don't often make any other bets at all.

For a lot of people, this method is boring. And I get that - when you're watching someone roll the dice 10, 20, 30+ times and most of the table is seeing lots of action from their various bets and you're just standing there sipping your drink and praying for Big Red... It's not always the most exciting position to take.
hwccdealer
hwccdealer
  • Threads: 11
May 8th, 2014 at 1:49:00 PM permalink

The main things it helps with is boredom. Especially on the do-side, the best reason not to continuous come is that 30% of all rolls are comeout rolls and saying "everything works every roll dealer" is just something that can get annoying to go through every 20 minutes with each new dealer.

We get people who work on comeouts. Dealers with good communication can figure it out.

Placing a bet that only works 70% of the time by default is still something that folks enjoy doing frequently.

The best chance to win if you want to play a while with full odds is being patient with no come bets unless you want to do a lot of talking.

Come betting with full odds is pretty aggressive - a hot roll can earn a lot of money while a poorly-timed seven can sink you. Of course, pressing place bets is not that different. So it's all in how you want to screw yourself.

If you just like moving chips around, don't bet odds. Get used to losing and bet every damn thing you can think of and pull stuff down back up at a different amount, off, on, etc. This can be even more fun than continuous come bets if you can afford to stroke the dealer. "Press my lay on the five for $3" is a request that I have made that has caused a dealer to literally LOSE HIS MIND. Way better than a come bet if you just want to move chips around for fun. (His name was Robert and he works at both the Silverton and the Palazzo, and HATES "strokers" and EXPECTS everyone to bet the way he wants you to.)

Playing the game where you try to confuse the dealer to overpay a lay bet and then make fun of him can be worth the vig. Robert is a good dealer, and he's never made a mistake that I've noticed. He's my least favorite dealer. I think our last exchange was unpleasant.

Strokers, and players who play all kinds of stupid crap, are the worst. But I've figured out that most players follow a pretty distinct pattern. It's just a matter of learning it. We have one guy who plays wonky center action almost every roll that is in no way consistent, futzes with his place bets, and always asks to be paid in red no matter how high the payout is, and it drives me crazy because there's just no way to figure him out. I don't think he tries to be a stroker or takes shots; he's just all over the place. He's a nice guy and he seems to roll pretty well, but dealing to him is a headache.
Ncell
Ncell
  • Threads: 3
May 13th, 2014 at 12:12:56 AM permalink

... saying "everything works every roll dealer" is just something that can get annoying to go through every 20 minutes with each new dealer.

Saying "Odds always work" once every 20 minutes doesn't take much effort. That's also assuming that the base dealer wasn't just the stickman, because unless the table is busy, they already heard/saw my betting patterns. Sometimes the guy in the box will even tell the new base for me.

If I make a Come bet, and a point is set, I would estimate about 80% of the craps dealers I've encountered know why I'm tossing chips to them immediately after the roll. Again, unless the table is full or almost full.

I agree that being patient is important for line bets though. That's why the center bets get so much action from some people. They want their money won or lost right now. No waiting.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
May 13th, 2014 at 12:34:29 AM permalink

Did you just say it's annoying to tell the dealer every 20 minutes "odds always work".....then later claim to enjoy making weird-ass annoying bets? You sound like an awful player to deal to. Would not be surprised if the entire pit hates you.

I know of one guy (think he's Arabian or some middle-eastern type), and that's all he does is press his bets, switch 'em, take 'em down, etcc. and they're weird numbers....like $174 six, $192 eight. if six hits, he'll have the dealer press his eight to $222, press his six to $175, and switch his six with his $155 five which he'll press by $7 to make it $162. Dealers just try to piss him off so he'll switch sides or switch tables.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
May 13th, 2014 at 5:53:56 AM permalink
Quote: TerribleTom

When you're watching someone roll the dice 10, 20, 30+ times and most of the table is seeing lots of action from their various bets and you're just standing there sipping your drink and praying for Big Red... It's not always the most exciting position to take.

But you've got to admit that when she comes rolling out and you collect, that is pretty sweet. Right up there with a fine drink or a nice serving of Haagen-Dazs Dulce de Leche.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
May 13th, 2014 at 5:56:37 AM permalink
Quote: RS

I know of one guy (think he's Arabian or some middle-eastern type), and that's all he does is press his bets, switch 'em, take 'em down, etcc. and they're weird numbers....like $174 six, $192 eight. if six hits, he'll have the dealer press his eight to $222, press his six to $175, and switch his six with his $155 five which he'll press by $7 to make it $162. Dealers just try to piss him off so he'll switch sides or switch tables.

To really get the dealers' goat, try betting those wildly changing sums on the don't side. Best way to slow down a game, even to less than 30 decisions an hour. Play it right and suggest that they comp a meal just to get rid of you.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
  • Threads: 29
May 13th, 2014 at 10:05:46 AM permalink
A benefit? I'd pay a lot for continuous come. Oops wrong thread...AGAIN. Sorry guys.
Ahigh
Ahigh
May 13th, 2014 at 10:13:52 AM permalink
When they start to get irate, I tip with the comment, "here your strokin' token."

Always helps them to laugh about the strokes and realize it's all just for fun.
aahigh.com
dicesitter
dicesitter
  • Threads: 32
May 20th, 2014 at 11:58:37 AM permalink
RS

you are 100% correct, I have been at the tables when some guys leave and the crew speaks
freely about them.

But it works both ways some guys are Aholes at the table and some table crews and not nice
to players.........I am not sure which cames first the chicken or the egg.

I try to treat the crew with respect, they are doing a job just like all of us do a job. Many times when
some players treat the crew like crap, the next players to the table pay for that.

Just be nice seems like the best road to take.

Dicesetter
spadeknight
spadeknight
  • Threads: 5
August 13th, 2014 at 7:28:34 PM permalink
you got that right.
Winner 7! Pay the line
spadeknight
spadeknight
  • Threads: 5
August 13th, 2014 at 7:33:32 PM permalink
sounds like the guy has an issue with dealers and likes to piss them off
Winner 7! Pay the line
Ahigh
Ahigh
August 13th, 2014 at 7:45:02 PM permalink
Quote: spadeknight

sounds like the guy has an issue with dealers and likes to piss them off

I was just making the point that unless you work the odds on the comeout roll, there's a good reason not to bet the come bet every roll: odds are off for 70% of all rolls on come bets. Odds always work on the pass line. So the pass line with odds is a better bet than the come bet with odds UNLESS YOU BOTHER THE DEALERS ALL THE TIME.

And if you ARE going to be bothersome (this may in fact be JUST FOR YOU) GO ALL THE WAY. Up and down and all around!!! Lay a number. Press the lay by three bucks! Then reduce it. Whatever.

But most people would be better off with patience and a pass line plus odds bet only.
aahigh.com
  • Jump to: