TinhornGambler
TinhornGambler
  • Threads: 8
September 12th, 2012 at 12:52:14 PM permalink
Excuse me !
What’s that your saying … predicting the outcome of a dice throw.

Story highlights:
ScienceDaily (Sep. 12, 2012) — “Vegas, Monte Carlo, and Atlantic City draw people from around the world who are willing to throw the dice and take their chances. Researchers from the Technical University of Lodz, Poland, have spotted something predictable in the seemingly random throw of the dice.

By applying chaos theory and some high school level mechanics, they determined that by knowing the initial conditions – such as the viscosity of the air, the acceleration of gravity, and the friction of the table – it should be possible to predict the outcome when rolling the dice …..“

Story:
Predicting a Die Throw
Reported by Science Daily - from materials provided by American Institute of Physics (AIP) via Newswise .

Complete story:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/09/120912083526.htm
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
September 12th, 2012 at 1:04:42 PM permalink
If only we played craps on flat, frictionless tables instead of actual craps tables...

Quote: Tomasz Kapitaniak

However, he quickly added, "friction is important."

With a high-friction table, in which the dice can't slide across very easily, the dice tend to bounce around more times, tumbling and twirling, and making the results harder to predict. With a smooth, low-friction, or soft table, the dice tend to bounce fewer times.

Even bouncing doesn't always mix things up. The high-speed video showed that dice frequently did not change their face even after a bounce.

from http://www.insidescience.org/?q=blog/2012/09/12/dice-rolls-are-not-completely-random
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
September 12th, 2012 at 2:04:04 PM permalink
Are Poles big gamblers?
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
September 12th, 2012 at 3:48:22 PM permalink
I don't know if they are big gamblers but they are big mathematicians although on this question I expect various physicists will be "poles" apart.
  • Jump to: