Hollywood06
Hollywood06
  • Threads: 19
February 5th, 2010 at 12:22:51 PM permalink
Went to the local Barnes and Noble looking to buy a blackjack book just for a fun read whenever i find the time and came across 2 Richard Harveys books "Blackjack: The Smart Way" and Cutting Edge Blackjack"......never heard of Harvey, but i checked out the books given they were new and wanted to see what information they held.

Read it over a bit and seemed the book sucked.....Harvey seemed to be downgrading and bad mouthing statistics on blackjack saying they are incorrect and im not sure but seems in his book he was giving basically "Advanced" eyeballing techniques? and techniques in order to predict dealers hole card and future cards to come...i could be wrong (i only looked in over for 10 mins)

Harvey, also had strategy cards in his book but they never distinguised between stand on all 17's or hit on soft 17......Me knowing both stragtegies by heart, i quickly realized this guy was promoting his own strategy.....he said not to split 2's agaisnt a 2....dont double down a 10 against an 8, surrender 14 agaisnt an ace, surrender pair of 7's against and ace and other things that seemed odd....and if im right (could be wrong), i believe i seen a dealer bust chart were it showed a dealers 14, will bust 44% of the time and a 6 will bust 40%.....yeah, cause last i checked its a dealers 16 will bust 42% and a 14 is like 37%....

anyways for anyone who wasnt sure their is a very very brief description of the book

now wizard or anyone else

do you know anything else about this guy or HIS books?

by the way so someone doesnt say i hope you didnt buy it...i ended up leaving with "blackbelt in blackjack"
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
February 5th, 2010 at 12:43:31 PM permalink
Sorry, I'm not familiar with the name or those books. My favorite introductory to intermediate level blackjack book is "Hollywood Blackjack."
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Hollywood06
Hollywood06
  • Threads: 19
February 5th, 2010 at 1:20:48 PM permalink
I was looking more into it and site(s) that are promoting say your able to predict the dealers hole card and your "hit" card.....for some reason it seems like hey! what a system,
but is definetly setting off alarms in my head.....multi-deck game and you know what type of card the dealer has? that just doesnt seem probable considering anything can happen when your playing with hundreds of cards in a shoe.....

"Hollywood Blackjack."?......looked it over and people are saying its basically a book to learn basic stratetgy and hi-lo card counting,
  • Jump to: