valoem
valoem
  • Threads: 7
October 7th, 2016 at 4:30:01 AM permalink
I can't find this information is Chemin de fer played against the house? I thought it was played against other players, does house take commission?
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
October 7th, 2016 at 9:38:26 AM permalink
Chemin de Fer is, for lack of a better way to put it, "player-dealt baccarat." From what I have heard, it works something like this:
The current banker says, "I'll put up $50"
The other players make bets ("I'll cover $10 of that," "I'll cover $20," etc.) until the entire $50 is covered - but anybody can call out "Banco," which means, "I'll cover the entire $50"; this cancels all other player bets. Whoever bet the most plays the player hand. Note that the players cannot bet on the bank, and the banker cannot bet on the player.
The other difference between Chemin de Fer and Baccarat is, the player decides whether to hit or stand on a 5, and the bank decides on a 3 if the player's third card is 9, and on a 5 if the player's third card is a 4.
I think the best play for each player is to do what is done in Baccarat, in which case, Chemin de Fer has the same advantage for the banker that Baccarat does.
Apparently, the house does take a 5% commission on whatever the bankers win.
valoem
valoem
October 7th, 2016 at 2:04:09 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

Chemin de Fer is, for lack of a better way to put it, "player-dealt baccarat." From what I have heard, it works something like this:
The other players make bets ("I'll cover $10 of that," "I'll cover $20," etc.) until the entire $50 is covered - but anybody can call out "Banco," which means, "I'll cover the entire $50"; this cancels all other player bets. Whoever bet the most plays the player hand. Note that the players cannot bet on the bank, and the banker cannot bet on the player.
The other difference between Chemin de Fer and Baccarat is, the player decides whether to hit or stand on a 5, and the bank decides on a 3 if the player's third card is 9, and on a 5 if the player's third card is a 4.
I think the best play for each player is to do what is done in Baccarat, in which case, Chemin de Fer has the same advantage for the banker that Baccarat does.

What about when player wins? Does he win the house's money or other player who is banker's money? I assume the other player and house just takes 5% of banker?
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
October 7th, 2016 at 3:56:22 PM permalink
Quote: valoem

What about when player wins? Does he win the house's money or other player who is banker's money? I assume the other player and house just takes 5% of banker?

The house only collects commission on hands the Banker wins. The house doesn't stake any money in the game, so the total of the player's wagers cannot exceed the stake the banking player has decided to put forward. Note that only the banker, and the player who made the largest bet get cards. The other players rely on the betting player to make the decision to take a third card or stand, as they just ride along.

Tips are encouraged as the game is staff intensive.

Edit: Note that there is a "House Way" that guides the taking of cards or standing, but the player or banker are free to take or not take cards on any non-natural total as long as they haven't announced prior to the start of the round that they are going to abide by the house way for their role.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
valoem
valoem
October 8th, 2016 at 3:06:00 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Quote: valoem

The house only collects commission on hands the Banker wins. The house doesn't stake any money in the game, so the total of the player's wagers cannot exceed the stake the banking player has decided to put forward. Note that only the banker, and the player who made the largest bet get cards. The other players rely on the betting player to make the decision to take a third card or stand, as they just ride along.

Tips are encouraged as the game is staff intensive.

Edit: Note that there is a "House Way" that guides the taking of cards or standing, but the player or banker are free to take or not take cards on any non-natural total as long as they haven't announced prior to the start of the round that they are going to abide by the house way for their role.

How do players decide when to hit? Do cards get both turned over before hit or do they decide before the cards are turned? Also what if player shows a 7 with two cards and banker shows a 6? I believe in Punto Banco banker can't hit, but can they hit in Chemin de fer? What if player hits and third card bring a total of 8 points when banker has 7 points, is Banker allow to hit his 7 and try to beat the 8?
acw
acw
  • Threads: 6
October 15th, 2016 at 4:00:20 PM permalink
Why is this question being asked in the Blackjack forum?

Also the last time I saw the game being played was years ago in Monaco, but recently it is all Punto/Banco. Any place in the world where it still exists?
  • Jump to: