odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
September 29th, 2016 at 6:05:05 AM permalink
Wrong, you say! only against 6 and only when dealer hits soft 17.

And, that is correct, when the goal is lowest HE. This would be imperative for an AP.

I, however, don't play enough BJ to ever get into proper card counting. I have instead actually been seeking plays that increase variance at low expense of edge. Again, an AP does not want to increase variance, so this is all wrong for them, and dare I say I am advocating something on his site that would never get a Wizard stamp of approval, so, my apologies to him as well.

I pretty much have decided I don't like BJ all that much, as the variance for a flat bettor is too low for my taste. I'm practically desperate for more variance when I play, and I expect to play some DD soon for the first time.

Looking at the WoO appendix 1, which is for S17, and will show best HE as standing with player soft 19, I still wanted to see how much edge is lost. It shows against 6:

stand: 0.495977
double: 0.479599 [with an unknown but presumed increase in variance]
delta: 0.016378

at a $25 table that would be an edge 'error' of 41 cents occurring once or twice an hour I'd guess [I don't think you figure it against $50 each]

I think I am willing to pay the price. Am I nuts? Are there other such deviations to think about?

https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/appendix/1/
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
sabre
sabre
  • Threads: 3
September 29th, 2016 at 6:15:48 AM permalink
You're nuts to think you get dealt an A8 vs a dealer 6 once or twice an hour. Maybe once every 5 hours if you're playing 200 hands/hr heads up.

If you want to have the thrill of doubling and splitting more, you're going to have to add a lot of basic strategy deviations. There just aren't enough close ones like A8v6 to be able to do this frequently enough without having a real impact on the effective house edge.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
September 29th, 2016 at 6:22:32 AM permalink
A,7 vs 2 and 11 vs A pretty much same story, EV diff almost nothing and increase variance. The soft doubles will come up less frequently than 11vs A.

Others that will cost a little more but not too horrible would be to double 8 vs 5-6, 9 vs 7, 10 vs A, splitting 6-6 vs 7 and 7-7 vs 8 (assuming you can double after split, those splits are correct BS in a DD game.)
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
September 29th, 2016 at 6:31:04 AM permalink
Quote: sabre

You're nuts to think you get dealt an A8 vs a dealer 6 once or twice an hour. Maybe once every 5 hours if you're playing 200 hands/hr heads up

well then, full speed ahead on this one! Wizard, block this thread on your personal viewing

Quote: mcallister3200

A,7 vs 2 and 11 vs A pretty much same story, EV diff almost nothing and increase variance. The soft doubles will come up less frequently than 11vs A.

Others that will cost a little more but not too horrible would be to double 8 vs 5-6, 9 vs 7, 10 vs A, splitting 6-6 vs 7 and 7-7 vs 8 (assuming you can double after split, those splits are correct BS in a DD game.)

thanks! I might investigate some of those; let's see how just one or two goes to start.
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
September 29th, 2016 at 6:39:21 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

I have instead actually been seeking plays that increase variance at low expense of edge. . . . so, my apologies.

I think I am willing to pay the price. Am I nuts?

As per signature. Embrace the variance. Therein lies the fun.The excitement of losing and/or winning more at a time. Why apologise?

And if, with just a modicum of luck, you find yourself winning, then come back here and blow raspberries at the AP's who work hard to get and exploit an edge. $:o)
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
September 29th, 2016 at 7:01:53 AM permalink
9 vs 2, A6 vs 2 are two others.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
September 29th, 2016 at 7:17:48 AM permalink
If you want variance, blackjack isn't the right game for you. At least not traditional BJ.

Perhaps a game like Super Fun 21 or Spanish 21 or Wizard 21 (I always forget the real name for this. BJ Switch I reckon?) or Freebet Blackjack and there are probably others. I don't know anything about those games....other than Freebet blackjack, I know the goal is to figure out a way to pocket one of those medallions unscathed.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
September 29th, 2016 at 7:39:22 AM permalink
Quote: RS

If you want variance, blackjack isn't the right game for you. At least not traditional BJ.

Perhaps a game like Super Fun 21 or Spanish 21 or Wizard 21 (I always forget the real name for this. BJ Switch I reckon?) or Freebet Blackjack and there are probably others. I don't know anything about those games....other than Freebet blackjack, I know the goal is to figure out a way to pocket one of those medallions unscathed.

For more fun you can double on hard 12 vs a 2 or a 3.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
September 29th, 2016 at 8:54:26 AM permalink
Quote: RS

this time I have a reason to just try something new, a pitch game, and come back with a report on what is supposed to be the "best odds in the middle atlantic" . Meanwhile, add just a bit of variance if the HE cost is minimal - might suit me.

Quote: Hunterhill

For more fun you can double on hard 12 vs a 2 or a 3.

well, I suppose you could also double with blackjack - you'd get a 10 frequently and double your bet. Yes I am getting ridiculous, but I think you are reaching too [if you're not kidding]
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
September 29th, 2016 at 10:18:29 AM permalink
btw, doubling 9 vs 2 is correct BS for double deck.

the Wizard appendix 1 chart is for infinite deck.

now I have come across appendix 9, stay tuned

for A8 against 6, in order stand, hit [crossed out], double:

0.489571 0.240709 0.481418

delta 0.008153

20 cents if $25, so now I am even more convinced, gotta do it

https://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/appendix/9/2ds17r4/
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
September 29th, 2016 at 10:21:52 AM permalink
Quote: odiousgambit

this time I have a reason to just try something new, a pitch game, and come back with a report on what is supposed to be the "best odds in the middle atlantic" . Meanwhile, add just a bit of variance if the HE cost is minimal - might suit me.

well, I suppose you could also double with blackjack - you'd get a 10 frequently and double your bet. Yes I am getting ridiculous, but I think you are reaching too [if you're not kidding]

Yes just kidding i don't advocate dbl 12 versus 2 ,unless you know what card is coming😎
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
September 29th, 2016 at 11:27:49 AM permalink
appendix 9 definitely where I should have been

Looking for doubling instead of standing only, these seem best, same stand, hit, double representation as previous post, you can do the math

dealer 2 ......... player 7,A -> 0.128632 0.064072 0.123539

dealer 5 ......... player 8,A -> 0.449866 0.214682 0.429365 [more doubtful]

some of the other suggestions are BS with DD
Last edited by: odiousgambit on Sep 29, 2016
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
September 30th, 2016 at 7:54:25 AM permalink
adding this one, doubling instead of hitting, per appendix 9 real close, for soft 14 against dealer 4

hitting 0.085205, doubling 0.083857

so I will give doubling a shot with soft 18 vs 2; soft 19 vs 6; soft 14 vs 4; and maybe soft 19 vs 5 if not snakebit by the others

all other, correct BS
  • Jump to: