Zer0
Zer0
  • Threads: 36
October 30th, 2015 at 12:54:28 PM permalink
So knowing the basic principles to card counting and actually being good at it are entirely different things, and I'd like to ask the card counters on here, what do you do to keep your mind sharp? I know you really only need to weigh high cards against low ones, but even that can be tough at a full table, especially when people split a lot and double down face down, it can be difficult to keep track. What are some good practice methods? I noticed the same principle to card counting applies to 7-stud poker since you have to watch what people have and remember what they folded, especially if you're going for a straight or flush. What are some other good ways like that to keep your brain sharp with following cards?
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
October 30th, 2015 at 1:10:00 PM permalink
Quote: Zer0

So knowing the basic principles to card counting and actually being good at it are entirely different things, and I'd like to ask the card counters on here, what do you do to keep your mind sharp?

Practice/Play... There are also drills you can do for card counting, but I cover those later. Keep it sharp for other things? Learn. I try to learn new things daily.

I know you really only need to weigh high cards against low ones, but even that can be tough at a full table, especially when people split a lot and double down face down, it can be difficult to keep track.

I'm going to respectfully, completely disagree =P. If you find it hard to do simple counting at a full table, then you have no where near practiced enough. Counting should be like breathing when you go to actually do it. You learn the tricks of the trade. When people double down face down, don't count their card... you can't anyways. Play the round, let the dealer play, and then when the dealer goes to pay/take they will flip the cards over 1 at a time; that's what you count them. As you alluded to above too, there's a LOT more to it than weighing high cards against low ones too =).

What are some good practice methods? I noticed the same principle to card counting applies to 7-stud poker since you have to watch what people have and remember what they folded, especially if you're going for a straight or flush. What are some other good ways like that to keep your brain sharp with following cards?

Card Counting is useful for blackjack. You don't need to remeber specific cards/suits if you're just doing regular blackjack card counting. I assume you've at least heard of Hi/Low? It's a counting technique that allows you to keep track of the cards, without having to memorize the actual cards (player A threw away 2d-7c, player B had Js-3h... instead you look at those cards and say "the count is +1").

I wrote 3 articles to help guide anyone, in any stage of the process (total beginner to advanced novice/weekend warrior/etc). Give them a read, and a re-read, and I guarantee you'll know a) how it's done, b) why it works, c) how to practice, and d) that you have a winning game.

Article 1
Article 2
Article 3

Any quesitons you can ask:
1) On the articles
2) In my "A to Z Counting Cards in Blackjack" thread which spawned the Articles (the articles have MUCH MUCH more information though)
3) In this thread
4) PM me, though I prefer you post in the thread so everyone can see/possibly learn from your question(s)
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
  • Jump to: