5 votes (27.77%)

18 members have voted

beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 76
August 12th, 2017 at 7:41:51 PM permalink
Quote: LuckyPhow

Appears DIN certo is a German (?) standards testing agency, similar to NIST or Underwriter Laboratories:

DIN CERTO Certificates and Registrations

The Amazon ad also notes the International Standards Organization (ISO) standard, and it is the international standard for eclipse-viewing eyeware:

Filters for direct observation of the sun

Assuming the text of the Amazon ad is correct, my best guess is that your eclipse eyeware is exactly what you need.

fwiw, because blindness is not a trivial thing

I have,a friend who runs a school program, non-profit, bringing astronomy to classrooms. He purchased 30,000 pairs and donated them to schools on request. (And he ran out weeks ago. Amazing) They are ISO certified for eclipse viewing.

He got the same type notice you did. It's causing holy hell, with the teachers flipping out. I really think it's a liability thing; amazon or whoever wants no litigation post-eclipse, and did not post disclaimers strong enough to shield themselves prior to sales.

Jmho.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 972
August 12th, 2017 at 8:10:06 PM permalink
There was a piece on the CBS Evening News, I think Friday, about harmful eclipse glasses. I bought about a dozen from eclipse2017.org. The glasses say they are certified by the British Standards Institute. I looked at the direct Vegas sun with them a few weeks ago for a couple seconds and survived.

I've got extra sets of anyone is in desperate need.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 128
August 12th, 2017 at 8:16:43 PM permalink
My mother told me both her grandparents went blind looking at the solar eclipse and forgot to tell me she lied about it. You will not go blind, but might have sun spots in your vision that may or may not be permanent. The kaku video mentioned 2,000,000 glasses available at public libraries, I'd look there or the post office since gwae mentioned them selling the glasses for 25c.
Looks like sh!t just got imaginary!
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 972
August 13th, 2017 at 9:24:15 AM permalink
The 8/21 forecast for Huntington OR has been upgraded to "sunny."

Sunny
High: 87°
Low: 56°
Precip: 0%
W 7 mph
Humidity: 25%
UV INDEX: 8 of 10
Mainly sunny. High 87F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 32
August 14th, 2017 at 8:27:42 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

The 8/21 forecast ...

Starting on Wednesday, 15-August, the National Weather Service (NWS) will provide an HOURLY weather update graph for areas experiencing the eclipse: NWS Eclipse Info
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 270
August 14th, 2017 at 12:18:04 PM permalink
I ordered and received some eclipse glasses through Amazon.com.

Recently I received the following communication from Amazon.com:

"We’re writing to provide you with important safety information about the eclipse products you purchased on Amazon (order #XXXX for Solar Eclipse Glasses | ISO & CE Certified Safe Solar Eclipse Shades | Viewer and Filters | Protection For All Ages (5 Pack)).

To protect your eyes when viewing the sun or an eclipse, NASA and the American Astronomical Society (AAS) advise you to use solar eclipse glasses or other solar filters from recommended manufacturers. Viewing the sun or an eclipse using any other glasses or filters could result in loss of vision or permanent blindness.

Amazon has not received confirmation from the supplier of your order that they sourced the item from a recommended manufacturer. We recommend that you DO NOT use this product to view the sun "

They credited my account with the purchase price.
"What, me worry?"
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 275
August 14th, 2017 at 12:34:51 PM permalink
welcome to the thread, you are a bit behind in the conversation

this has happened to me as well; I went to the website of the company and at that site they confirm that it conforms to the ISO standard. Clearly, the problem then is that Amazon wants a more official confirmation, one that suits their legal department. I feel OK with the website claim

One thing that is going on is that previously a type was allowed that cautioned not to use them for more than 3 minutes, or somesuch. Wisely, I think, it's been decided that standard was not good enough.
"Baccarat is a game whereby the croupier gathers in money with a flexible sculling oar, then rakes it home. If I could have borrowed his oar I would have stayed." .......... Mark Twain
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 21
August 15th, 2017 at 7:46:39 AM permalink
I just heard that Highlands, NC police are saying they are anticipating 1 MILLION people to come to the town for the eclipse! This is a town with a permanent population of ~ 1,000.

I can only assume they are exaggerating (a little?) for effect, but I think, in addition to gridlocked traffic, you can plan on local restaurants and stores running out of food, water, gas, etc. rather quickly. So make sure you have plenty of supplies with you when you travel to the eclipse zone! I bet toilet paper will be scarce, too.

BTW, Monday's forecast for Highlands: 60% chance of rain. :P
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 270
August 15th, 2017 at 8:01:16 AM permalink
Any idea which TV channels will be carrying live eclipse coverage?
"What, me worry?"
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 7
August 15th, 2017 at 8:06:24 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

Any idea which TV channels will be carrying live eclipse coverage?

All of them

• Jump to: