TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 36
July 26th, 2016 at 4:51:42 AM permalink
Quote: LostWages

2F, I look forward to reading your long (or short) post about my playing 200 practice hands a day. I'm still using WOO "simple strategy", and have now learned a few exceptions to memorize. Tks!

I see your cruise is in Oct, so you have lots of time...
I had said ( and it disappeared ) that I would advise learning the full Basic Strategy rather than the Simple. And I wrote down how I did it.

Someone has since started a 'How to learn Basic Strategy thread'. I will get around to adding it there. It might be of some help, might not!
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
LostWages
LostWages
July 26th, 2016 at 9:18:01 AM permalink
Joeman,

Let's say my buy-in was $80, and I was up to $150. If I now announce "I'm out" and I want to leave, can I just put a $5 bet for the dealer (as my tip), but not place a bet for myself?

Is that proper etiquette? What is the "proper" way to leave a blackjack table?
Eat real food . . . and you won't need medicine (or a lot less!)
MrGoldenSun
MrGoldenSun
  • Threads: 1
July 26th, 2016 at 9:31:11 AM permalink

Is that proper etiquette? What is the "proper" way to leave a blackjack table?

I would just politely leave whenever you feel like it. If you don't put any money in the circle, they'll figure out you're done. :)

I say if you want to bet for the dealer but not yourself, tell them, make a normal bet, and then give them whatever is the outcome.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 58
July 26th, 2016 at 9:34:27 AM permalink
Ask the dealer to color up your chips- cash in all your low value chips for higher ones. Your $150 might be in 25 different chips. The dealer will count them and in your case give you six $25 chips.
Normally when you want to play for a dealer, you just put the chip on the table, in front of the betting circle. If you don't want to bet for yourself but for the dealer, just bet normal and tell him the bet is for him. There is no minimum for a dealer bet when you are also betting. On a $10 table, Ill make several $1 bets for him rather than one $5 or $10 bet.
Be very careful not to tip too much. It kills your bottom line
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 21
July 26th, 2016 at 10:28:25 AM permalink
LW, the two posters above give good advice. Whenever you are ready to go, just stack your chips, slide them towards the dealer, and say, "I'd like to color up, please." Like BillRyan above said, they will count out your chips into stacks of $25 (or $100's if you have been doing really well!) and give you the equivalent in higher denomination chips. This helps both you and the dealer. It helps him keep his rack in order (if someone leaves with too many $5 chips, they may have to stop the game to do a fill), and it means you have fewer chips to carry.

Now, if you weren't as lucky and end up losing your buy-in (or are down to less than $25), you can just get up and leave. No explanation needed.

If you like, you can thank the dealer for his service and wish your neighbors good luck as you leave the table. As far as tipping, I usually tip in the form of $1 dealer bets as mentioned above. Occasionally, if I did very well that session, I may tip the dealer as I leave as well. However, I would suggest that if you want to give the dealer a tip when you leave, I would just hand it to him (Well, you really can't "hand" a dealer anything -- you just put the chip on the felt, slide it towards him, and say, "This is for you.") rather than make a bet for him.

The reason for this is, what happens if you (he) get dealt a hand like AA? Now, you are put in kind of an awkward situation where have to either break down one of those nice, new green chips you just got to split the A's (not to mention tipping the dealer an extra $5 that you didn't intend to), or play the hand out in a less than optimal way by just hitting.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
LostWages
LostWages
July 26th, 2016 at 11:10:04 AM permalink
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments on "how to leave a blackjack table". Now I have multiple options from which to select the one with which I feel most comfortable. Counting the days to my first sit down action!
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
July 26th, 2016 at 12:19:11 PM permalink

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments on "how to leave a blackjack table". Now I have multiple options from which to select the one with which I feel most comfortable. Counting the days to my first sit down action!

It is always YOUR decision when to leave the table. You can leave at the end of any hand for the table. Yes, you can color up to a smaller number of chips with the same cash value, a mostly recommended approach. Or you can just slide them off the table into a burlap bag, or your underwear. No one cares! Was that really a serious question on your part?
MrGoldenSun
MrGoldenSun
  • Threads: 1
July 27th, 2016 at 6:43:01 AM permalink
Quote: TwoFeathersATL

It is always YOUR decision when to leave the table. You can leave at the end of any hand for the table. Yes, you can color up to a smaller number of chips with the same cash value, a mostly recommended approach. Or you can just slide them off the table into a burlap bag, or your underwear. No one cares! Was that really a serious question on your part?

I'm sure it was! I don't know how you felt when you first went to a blackjack table, but I was slightly intimidated by the mechanics of things. I knew basic strategy perfectly, but it was all the "other" stuff. It's a totally legit question.
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
July 27th, 2016 at 6:56:17 AM permalink
Quote: TwoFeathersATL

quote: MrGoldenSun
I'm sure it was! I don't know how you felt when you first went to a blackjack table, but I was slightly intimidated by the mechanics of things. I knew basic strategy perfectly, but it was all the "other" stuff. It's a totally legit question.

On second thought, it is not ALWAYS your decision when to leave the table.
There can come that 'tap on the shoulder'.
If the dealer tells you, "Feathers, can you pull back your bet for a moment" while letting other players leave their's in place, you might as well turn around and see who is standing behind you ;-)

Oh, and LostWages, I posted in the 'how did you learn Basic Strategy thread'. It was much more eloquent when I first posted the concept here, when I was sober ( the post that disappeared ). But I gave it a shot late last night, when I wasn't. Maybe I need to go read what I wrote. I'm almost scared ,-)
Last edited by: TwoFeathersATL on Jul 27, 2016
LostWages
LostWages
July 27th, 2016 at 1:51:26 PM permalink
MrGoldenSun & 2F,

Thanks again for your time & attention. From the previous posts, I figured out how to get IN to a table to play the first time. So my last post was to ensure I could gracefully exit as well. Reading thru your numerous replies to postings, I've been able to sort out information I'll keep in mind and other info that I'll leave behind on the forum.

It seems like I'll be ok after my initiation to my first table game. Surely, I've gathered plenty of mind-ammo to help me enjoy that first outing.

Back to my practice sessions - I've now graduated myself to taking "quiz lets" I found on the Internet to add variety to my practicing. I'll stay a WOO Simple Strategy for now while I build my experience pool.

I have been reading the thread "How did you learn Basic Strategy . . ."

• Jump to: